Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Plorkyeran posted:

Is he melting down over the fact that he turned on the option to have the compiler tell him where he can use the GSL stuff and it told him to use the GSL stuff?

I don't know, I'm the implementation in a method declaration, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

I tend to just leave off the SQL part and just say Post-Gress.

:same:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Hughlander posted:

Or if you are using an OO language you just use objects. Don’t expose the internal and keep the overflow / underflown handling to the class. I say this as the guy who has worked on countless MMOs with either 32 bit exp or money and had to deal with or watch the consequences of going live that way. Midway through my career I got the clout to just dictate it as such and life is easier.

I agree this is probably the right way to go, but we were talking about whiteboarding (and in my case, a friend who hasn't even learned about functions, much less objects, doing homework), where this is unlikely to be the case. I don't think most whiteboarders want to watch you write 4 classes to create Fizzbuzz.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Plorkyeran posted:

Is he melting down over the fact that he turned on the option to have the compiler tell him where he can use the GSL stuff and it told him to use the GSL stuff?

Looks like it.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
It's on by default in the VS2019 preview.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I agree this is probably the right way to go, but we were talking about whiteboarding (and in my case, a friend who hasn't even learned about functions, much less objects, doing homework), where this is unlikely to be the case. I don't think most whiteboarders want to watch you write 4 classes to create Fizzbuzz.

there's a certain type of company that would hire you on the spot if you made 4 classes to solve fizzbuzz

well, 5 might be better

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Last company I worked for requested I do fizzbuzz on an in-person test.

The ended up putting me on script maintenance once they found out I knew Bash.

I no longer work there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Jazerus posted:

there's a certain type of company that would hire you on the spot if you made 4 classes to solve fizzbuzz

well, 5 might be better

Why stop at 5?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

SupSuper posted:

At least that annoyance is understandable, especially with the need to rewrite things.

https://twitter.com/zeuxcg/status/1089031146921353216
Thinking it's a waste of time to use nullptr, though...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dylan16807 posted:

At least that annoyance is understandable, especially with the need to rewrite things.

https://twitter.com/zeuxcg/status/1089031146921353216
Thinking it's a waste of time to use nullptr, though...

It's like a honeypot for lovely code practices, I love it. :allears:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

SupSuper posted:

I guess that's probably a dumb default if it sticks around for the release version, but turning on all the new things by default in a preview so that people actually test them seems like a good idea.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Not sure where to post this, so here we go:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Google knows that if you're working in java you're going to need that number.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
In the Netherlands, the top result is the Dutch suicide prevention site (which is a completely different url). So this seems to be a serious problem.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

dwazegek posted:

In the Netherlands, the top result is the Dutch suicide prevention site (which is a completely different url). So this seems to be a serious problem.

I've also seen Australians, Norwegians and Canadians confirm this.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Just tested it, I got Crisis Services Canada as the top result. This is 100% real :stare:

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
NHS: help for suicidal thoughts

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Also here in Switzerland the same.

It's nice that it always gives the local suicide prevention organisation (even though I use google.com, not google.ch)!

Is this somebody's idea of a joke?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
If so, it's a pretty good one!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It probably inserts that for queries that it thinks are of the form "how do i kill myself" and the machine learning filter incorrectly flags that query

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
It doesn’t guess based upon depressed language usage or upon consistently overlapping searches by other users with similar keyword searches in any way? DuckDuckGo doesn’t seem to do this

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Volte posted:

It probably inserts that for queries that it thinks are of the form "how do i kill myself" and the machine learning filter incorrectly flags that query

"how to tell if youre running on fumes or gas" gives the prevention hotline, "how to tell if youre running on sunshine or a prayer" does not.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I just searched for "which is more painless haskell or python" and didn't get any suicide prevention stuff...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hammerite posted:

I just searched for "which is more painless haskell or python" and didn't get any suicide prevention stuff...

Python's default recursion limit is horrible stuff.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I want to argue about this. Haskell is a better language for beginners than Python. Because once you master Python, and realize untyped, imperative scripting languages are garbage, you will want to learn Haskell, but it will be harder to unremember the mutability, for loops and gimped lambdas. The cost of learning Haskell is high, but it's lower if you avoid learning Python first. It's like Dijkstra's thoughts on BASIC.

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 28, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xtal posted:

I want to argue about this. Haskell is a better language for beginners than Python. Because once you master Python, and realize untyped, imperative scripting languages are garbage, you will want to learn Haskell, but it will be harder to unremember the mutability, for loops and gimped lambdas. The cost of learning Haskell is high, but it's lower if you avoid learning Python first. It's like Dijkstra's thoughts on BASIC.

What are your thoughts on goto's? :v:

Snark aside, the advantage of Python is it's super portable between OS's. I mean so is Haskell, but if you're talking a scripting language for OS tasks, there's Powershell/BASH, but those are OS specific. Granted you could do the same thing with Haskell, but most companies aren't going to look for that. The other thing is Haskell is purely functional where Python isn't, which makes it a bit easier for scripting as well.

So basically, if you're going for functional stuff, Haskell is the better choice, but for portable scripts, Python is. Right tool for the job.

e: I totally forgot the term for this, but there's a "language" that always has one better feature than a previous one, but then someone decides it's not good enough, and makes a new language that's better, and so on and so forth.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 28, 2019

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
In some theoretical sense Haskell is a better language for beginners, but the biggest barrier to entry for beginning programmers is lack of inspiration. Most beginners don't find type theory or algebraic identities particularly inspiring. I had a first year prof that introduced Haskell to us and the only effect it had on most people was to make sure that 90% of them never look at Haskell ever again. Haskell itself became an inside joke that lasted until graduation representing a fate worse than death. I'll always advocate getting people inspired, even if it means letting them use PHP or something. The damage can always be undone later, but if you make someone learn Haskell right off the bat you might just kill their enthusiasm all together.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Volte posted:

In some theoretical sense Haskell is a better language for beginners, but the biggest barrier to entry for beginning programmers is lack of inspiration. Most beginners don't find type theory or algebraic identities particularly inspiring. I had a first year prof that introduced Haskell to us and the only effect it had on most people was to make sure that 90% of them never look at Haskell ever again. Haskell itself became an inside joke that lasted until graduation representing a fate worse than death. I'll always advocate getting people inspired, even if it means letting them use PHP or something. The damage can always be undone later, but if you make someone learn Haskell right off the bat you might just kill their enthusiasm all together.

I don't think that learning Haskell as a beginner requires learning about type theory or algebra that much. You can write in the subset of Haskell that is basically equivalent to Python, but faster and with better error messages. Never write a type, put everything in the IO monad, and you're still golden.

xtal fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 28, 2019

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

xtal posted:

I don't think that learning Haskell as a beginner requires learning about type theory or algebra that much. You can write in the subset of Haskell that is basically equivalent to Python, but faster and with better error messages. Don't ever write a type; let the types write you.
That line of thinking only works if you understand what types are, what they are for, and why the compiler yelling at you every two minutes is a good thing. There's a lot of experience implicit in seeing an error message and knowing what to do to fix it, and in having the confidence to know that what you're trying to do is even the right thing, especially if you don't understand what you're doing wrong. The more abstract the error message (i.e. "variable not found, you typed it wrong" vs "type class context not satisfied due to blah blah"), the less likely a beginner will know what to do. Even experienced programmers are experiencing this pain with Rust's borrow checker.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Volte posted:

That line of thinking only works if you understand what types are, what they are for, and why the compiler yelling at you every two minutes is a good thing. There's a lot of experience implicit in seeing an error message and knowing what to do to fix it, and in having the confidence to know that what you're trying to do is even the right thing, especially if you don't understand what you're doing wrong. The more abstract the error message (i.e. "variable not found, you typed it wrong" vs "type class context not satisfied due to blah blah"), the less likely a beginner will know what to do. Even experienced programmers are experiencing this pain with Rust's borrow checker.

A borrow checker is different, and much much much more complicated than a type checker. Python, being strongly-typed, has a type checker. It's just poo poo. The error messages that you get with `5 + "5"` are approximately equivalent in both languages, but a stronger type system can give you stronger advice.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Elm is probably the best language for beginners out there.

- Immediate feedback and cool results (make Super Mario in the browser!)
- Excellent error messages
- Teaches excellent programming practices (immutability, explicit typing, no exceptions)
- Good tooling experience (not as painless as an interpreted language, but teaching that compilation is a thing that exists isn't so bad, and the elm starter kit has always worked on the first try for me)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have knowledge of functional programming concepts (mostly through Scala), but I've never used Haskell.

Where do I go to start learning Haskell?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I have knowledge of functional programming concepts (mostly through Scala), but I've never used Haskell.

Where do I go to start learning Haskell?

Haskell Programming From First Principles, imo.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

NihilCredo posted:

Elm is probably the best language for beginners out there.

- Immediate feedback and cool results (make Super Mario in the browser!)
- Excellent error messages
- Teaches excellent programming practices (immutability, explicit typing, no exceptions)
- Good tooling experience (not as painless as an interpreted language, but teaching that compilation is a thing that exists isn't so bad, and the elm starter kit has always worked on the first try for me)

Yeah, it's very nice in various ways. And in terms of teaching functional concepts in a way that gives immediate visual feedback, it's great (vs [edit: the stereotypically taught] Haskell et al). Practically though, after a year of writing it in production though, I'd say serious [depending on usecase] caveats apply and I'm pretty happy to be back building React frontends [at the minute]

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 29, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This. Haskell is a perfectly good beginner's language, but the vast majority of tutorials and introductions are garbage. HFPP is not, and it's the right place to start.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RobertKerans posted:

Yeah, it's very nice in various ways. And in terms of teaching functional concepts in a way that gives immediate visual feedback, it's great (vs [edit: the stereotypically taught] Haskell et al). Practically though, after a year of writing it in production though, I'd say serious [depending on usecase] caveats apply and I'm pretty happy to be back building React frontends [at the minute]

Did you start (programming [with lisp])?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

RobertKerans posted:

Would you be able to expand on the caveats and issues with Elm? Most users seem to tend towards the fanboy end of the spectrum, so I haven't seen much discussion of its limitations etc.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
This seems like it was someone's coding horror at some point. Now it's everyone's horror in a different way

dont be mean to me posted:

the one where if you make a facetime call, and while waiting for it to be picked up add yourself to the call (swipe up on iphone), you can listen in on the other side

and if the person you're calling dismisses the call with the power button you can camera in

there is a limit to how much this can be fixed on the front-end too because it works in macos, which is still (at least a close approximation of) a general-purpose operating system

so even if the problem gets fixed on the back-end expect apple to start planning and pushing for a macos where you can only get apps through the app store and need a developer certificate to xcode

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

mod saas posted:

Did you start (programming [with lisp])?

Nah they probably started with Clojure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mod saas posted:

Did you start (programming (with lisp))?

Fixed