Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I actually think it’s not unlikely that Bernie will face at least some uphill resistance in the primary due to people mad at him for various reasons from 2016 because those type of people tend to be motivated voters. To what degree they will be numerically relevant is up in the air however.

It is also heavily dependent on where said people live. White professionals in New York who are mad at Bernie likely matter less than black activists in the south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Good news, Biden and Bloomberg don't need to bother joining the race

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

quote:

His bona fides as a “woke” billionaire are so robust, Hillary Clinton had reportedly planned to make him her Labor Secretary.

I knew his name was familiar.

Also l m f a o.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I actually think it’s not unlikely that Bernie will face at least some uphill resistance in the primary due to people mad at him for various reasons from 2016 because those type of people tend to be motivated voters. To what degree they will be numerically relevant is up in the air however.

It is also heavily dependent on where said people live. White professionals in New York who are mad at Bernie likely matter less than black activists in the south.

Of course he will, anyone who even hints at touching rich people's money will face a massive corporate media campaign to destroy them just like AOC is facing now when she isn't even running for anything.

I'm just rolling at "polls this early are bullshit name recognition, so I go off what my bubble of affluent suburbanites have to say and boy are they not keen on poor people getting healthcare without earning it"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

Of course he will, anyone who even hints at touching rich people's money will face a massive corporate media campaign to destroy them just like AOC is facing now when she isn't even running for anything.

I'm just rolling at "polls this early are bullshit name recognition, so I go off what my bubble of affluent suburbanites have to say and boy are they not keen on poor people getting healthcare without earning it"

Ah, yeah. It’s almost like we don’t really know anything for certain until all of the big candidates actually declare and start properly campaigning lmao.

Personally, I think the most worrying thing about Bernie at this moment is that Our Revolution’s track record since 2016 has been sort of bad to mediocre and that potentially indicates his organization game may be weak. I hope he finds people to help fix that.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Lol I’m not saying my experiences are predictive of the election, I’m just responding to the recurring idea that the anti-Bernie sentiment is some pure online phenomenon and doesn’t exist IRL.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Anyone at this point still pushing the "white berniebro" line can be dismissed immediately as either very stupid or very dishonest.

Look everyone supporting Bernie is a white straight male, Hillary said so!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The more centrists running and splitting that vote the better I say, get all the corporate idiots in this thing

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I tend to think Bernie's ceiling as a share of the Democratic electorate in 2020 is somewhere around 40%, if everything breaks well for him. That could easily win the primary though, if a lot of people stay in. And if he does, I'm pretty sure there'll be a lot of furor over moderates staying home, and it won't in fact be a hugely significant factor in how the general plays out, the same way leftists staying home instead of voting for Hillary turned out to not really matter, the same way Hillaryis44 PUMAs staying home instead of voting for Obama didn't actually matter, the same way Nevertrumpers never mattered... etc.

If Bernie wins the primary the machine'll swing into place behind him. It always does. So just focus on winning votes in the primary and volunteering for him, if you care about him, instead of dissipating your energy freaking out about conspiracy theories. Just fuckin' go put in the work.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The machine will endorse Trump just like it endorsed Nixon when McGovern had the temerity to win the support of voters (and then the machine changed the primary rules to ensure that voters could never go against the party bosses ever again)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

The machine will endorse Trump just like it endorsed Nixon when McGovern had the temerity to win the support of voters (and then the machine changed the primary rules to ensure that voters could never go against the party bosses ever again)

welp might as well just give up then

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I highly doubt if Bernie is the nominee the party would coherently embrace a third party candidate, but we probably will see stuff like what happened to Ben Jealous, probably red state Dems like Manchin or Jones endorsing a third party candidate or maybe even Trump in the former’s case.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think Bernie is a long shot in the primary. They see him coming and are already in full ratfucking mode. The only path i see for Bernie is if Biden runs because Biden will suck the air out of the room and then jeb really hard. But I'm still super excited for the Bernie run because he not only moves the party left, but also forces all the others to protect their left flank. The reason Hillary types hate him so much is because they spent decades building up their centrist bonafides only for that to become toxic. Harris et al would 100% be going after the never Trump votes if they didn't have to worry about Bernie. Which also opens space for people like aoc.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

VitalSigns posted:

Are you claiming the DNC will officially endorse Trump if Bernie is the nominee

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Her pinned tweet is begging for money to help her dad pay for 'residual medical bills'. Man gently caress Bernie, if he wins we won't have to ask internet strangers for cash anymore.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

Did you read their post? Do you think the DNC officially endorsed Nixon?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Z. Autobahn posted:

Can't speak for the DNC but LionArcher and their ilk will.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing is about machine politics is that the machines are demonstrably failing, and if anything are counterproductive. Hillary should have had an unstoppable juggernaut, instead her campaign was crippled by the arrogance and incompetence of both herself and seemingly everyone employed in it. Attempts to smear and silence AOC have backfired every time. The mainstream media that the Dems expect to follow their party line has never been less trusted and had less credibility. Hell, look at Jeb!'s cartoonish ROI on his campaign. All that money and institutional support seems to just end up poured down black holes because their own ideology cripples their ability to run campaigns.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

joepinetree posted:

I think Bernie is a long shot in the primary. They see him coming and are already in full ratfucking mode. The only path i see for Bernie is if Biden runs because Biden will suck the air out of the room and then jeb really hard. But I'm still super excited for the Bernie run because he not only moves the party left, but also forces all the others to protect their left flank. The reason Hillary types hate him so much is because they spent decades building up their centrist bonafides only for that to become toxic. Harris et al would 100% be going after the never Trump votes if they didn't have to worry about Bernie. Which also opens space for people like aoc.

This is pretty much my take. I'm in for Bernie, but if he doesn't run or flames out I am equally willing to put in the work for Warren and/or Brown. Regardless of who actually wins the primary (and I see even less of a path for Bernie than in 2016), we NEED strong candidates making a lot of noise and a hard run at the party from the left. Leave the Dem party to their druthers and they'll just keep drifting right and in another 10 years the question won't be 'will we build the wall and halt migration from brown countries' it will be 'how high should the wall be and should India be included in the ban'.

I'm still worried about post-2020 if the Dem candidate wins because it's way easier to rally the base and seem decent when all you are is the opposition. Keeping this enthusiasm and momentum through a big national election win in 2020 requires more than tax credits and tweaks to the work visa program, and even Bernie/Warren will be totally kneecapped if the attitudes of the bulk of the party don't materially shift from where they were in 2009. Short of chasing people like DWS, Tanden, Biden, Manchin, McAuliffe, etc. out of the party with pitchforks I don't see much changing - it may actually get worse simply by dint of never-Trump-but-otherwise-terrible-Republicans siding with Dems and dragging everything further right after insinuating themselves into the discussion during the campaign.

I think I had a point when I started but this is just me musing at this point so I'll just ask: In 2020 and beyond, what do you think leftists/progressives/whatever can do to counteract GOP refugees from making the party even worse than it already is? We're seeing it happen in real time with people like Bill Kristol and Ana Navarro already being presented as good and serious people that should be listened to and thought of when developing policy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/kasie/status/1089531776668712960

in case you thought the thread title wasn't literal

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
thank god she will come and save us from the monster she created

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Matt Zerella posted:

Why don’t you fuckin’ ask them? You know, instead of baldly assertIng how other people feel about things, as seems to be the style?

You do realize that Hillary stans probably hate Trump far, far more than they hate Bernie, right? Could you think of any possible reason why this would be the case?

Despite what you like to think, they have not based their entire self-identity on “what would Matt Zerella like the least? Let’s do that.”

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/1089531776668712960

in case you thought the thread title wasn't literal

Her profile pic is like the perfect reaction to that

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You would hope there would be some shadowy, all-powerful figure in the party apparatus that could intimidate her into staying home. But sadly, the Clintons are the top of the pyramid. Who’s going to tell her to not run, Terry McAullife?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mellow Seas posted:

You would hope there would be some shadowy, all-powerful figure in the party apparatus that could intimidate her into staying home. But sadly, the Clintons are the top of the pyramid. Who’s going to tell her to not run, Terry McAullife?

I think it’s plausible that the powerful party people who backed her and lost a bunch of money when she lost may push back in some form. Bill doesn’t enjoy infinite power in the party anymore, now that there’s a more recent Democratic President to push his weight around, and Obama has slightly different priorities and preferred allies than the Clintons.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Oh good I always wanted to see a brokered convention with actual fistfights

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mellow Seas posted:

Why don’t you fuckin’ ask them? You know, instead of baldly assertIng how other people feel about things, as seems to be the style?

You do realize that Hillary stans probably hate Trump far, far more than they hate Bernie, right? Could you think of any possible reason why this would be the case?

Despite what you like to think, they have not based their entire self-identity on “what would Matt Zerella like the least? Let’s do that.”

The #NeverBernie brain worms crowd have been on that path since 11/9.

Or they're gonna vote 3rd party despite being awful scolds to Jill Stein voters.

They have a history of voting republican going back to 2008.

Also :lol: at that last sentence.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

I’ll never vote for trump. I’ve voted blue ticket my entire life.
This sums up How I feel. https://mobile.twitter.com/scarylawyerguy/status/1089199340084695041

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 27, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

clinton gossip is lovely clickbait for republicans and leftists

hillary is about as much "atop the pyramid" of the democratic party as romney was in 2016.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Matt Zerella posted:

The #NeverBernie brain worms crowd have been on that path since 11/9.

Or they're gonna vote 3rd party despite being awful scolds to Jill Stein voters.

They have a history of voting republican going back to 2008.

Also :lol: at that last sentence.

So are you really not seeing that all of this is totally made up out of whole cloth?
(And do you see any irony in your “they’ll vote third party” assumption?)

Like, it’s not that I think you’re underestimating those voters as much as you’re underestimating how clearly, indisputably loathesome Trump is to everybody who isn’t part of his current “base”, and how much the things about him that are objectionable turn off your imaginary neverbernie opponents as much as they they turn off leftists?

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 27, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
as you know, bernie isnt even a democrat, so we'll all be voting third party when he wins the primary

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mellow Seas posted:

So are you really not seeing that all of this is totally made up out of whole cloth?
(And do you see any irony in your “they’ll vote third party” assumption?)

Like, it’s not that I think you’re underestimating those voters as much as you’re underestimating how clearly, indisputably loathesome Trump is to everybody who isn’t part of his current “base”, and how much the things about him that are objectionable turn off your imaginary neverbernie opponents as much as they they turn off leftists?

I fully understand that the HillaryIs46/NeverBernie crowd are a small percentage of the voting population, there's a reason we call them 4%ers. They're not going to make a big impact in 2020. But there are absolutely lines of argument from them where you can tell who they are. LA was parroting the biggest one (racist sexist Bernie).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If LionArcher wants to post sick #resistance twitter threads about why Bernie is Bad then more power to them, they won’t be the last person to post about their Primary Opinions in that vein in the next two years and it’s not like you’re gonna convince them nor will they convince you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

as you know, bernie isnt even a democrat, so we'll all be voting third party when he wins the primary

On that topic...
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1089274736222371842

Bernie is Schroedinger's Democrat.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
in fact i can only encourage posters that melt down when i lazily post havin' a normal one at them to continue posting

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Also those of you coming to this thread from CSPAM to lazy post and emptyquote, remember that this thread has a probation floor of a week.

You have been warned.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
as a fanatical bernie sanders supporter, its gonna be much harder than 2016 to regain his momentum

considerable effort has been put in to poisoning the well

Z. Autobahn posted:

Lol I’m not saying my experiences are predictive of the election, I’m just responding to the recurring idea that the anti-Bernie sentiment is some pure online phenomenon and doesn’t exist IRL.

i've seen it bleed into real life.

mostly age criticisms, though it does seem to surprise people when you point out that he's only 1 year older than biden

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
your average non-obsessed with politics person is probably going to have concerns about his age but if they haven't been twitter poisoned it should be fairly easy for bernie's campaign to address this concern

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Z. Autobahn posted:

They won't endorse Trump. However, I think the DNC/elites would rather lose to Trump than win with a progressive because Trump will be gone in 1-5 years depending on how the next election will go. A progressive President would change the party for at least a generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

RaySmuckles posted:

as a fanatical bernie sanders supporter, its gonna be much harder than 2016 to regain his momentum

considerable effort has been put in to poisoning the well

i've seen it bleed into real life.

mostly age criticisms, though it does seem to surprise people when you point out that he's only 1 year older than biden

Biden is an even worse candidate. And if people are saying no to Bernie but yes to that shitheel that’s real dumb.

Doesn’t mean Bernie isn’t also a terrifically terrible candidate and that while a useful stalking horse, he shouldn’t run.