Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Relevant Tangent posted:

NES and the Nintendo Seal of Quality existed and worked reasonably well. If you bought games without the seal (Tengan ones mostly iirc) they were of perceptibly lower quality.

That's because back then it was pirated carts of pirated carts. There was no standard anything. The Nintendo seal was just a way of saying, hey these games all came from the people that made them. Or are we suggesting lovely games didn't show up on the nes? Hell, i can hardly tell what's going on in some of nso games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Since I switched from my Wii to Dolphin to continue playing I had to restart the game. I was using the save blocks in game (instead of save states), until saving my game failed. The game told me, "The game cannot be saved. The Memory Card in Slot A is not the original Memory Card." Since then I've been using save states without issue. Is there any point in the game that requires me to save with a save point or am I okay to use save states from start to finish?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bad games existed on the NES but the ones with the Seal were theoretically playable from start to finish without game stopping crashes. That Nintendo no longer does this is bad. People acting like nobody has ever done the level of quality control Nintendo manifestly used to do is weird.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
The Nintendo seal meant the developer paid Nintendo’s license fee and agreed not to release their game when it would compete with a Nintendo release.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Bad games existed on the NES but the ones with the Seal were theoretically playable from start to finish without game stopping crashes. That Nintendo no longer does this is bad. People acting like nobody has ever done the level of quality control Nintendo manifestly used to do is weird.

You acting like the seal meant anything and referencing the good old nes days when quality mattered (lol) is weird

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Tengen games had a good:poo poo ratio at least on par with licensed games. They also looked a lot cooler and felt sturdier. The NES got a better port of Alien Syndrome than the Master System did, a good version of Ms. Pac-Man, Klax, a unique two player version of Tetris, and a bunch of other Sega ports.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tengen Tetris beat the hell out of the official one and the cartridge goes for crazy money today.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Buy a loving iPhone then

Let me know when my iPhone will play Smash or Mario Odyssey.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The seal of quality was just another marketing gimmick to attempt to differentiate Nintendo products from the sort of trash that caused the early 80's videogame crash.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

Let me know when my iPhone will play Smash or Mario Odyssey.

Your idea is terrible

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sakurazuka posted:

The seal of quality was just another marketing gimmick to attempt to differentiate Nintendo products from the sort of trash that caused the early 80's videogame crash.

To their credit, it worked

I need to find my copy of Game Over again, loved that book

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Painstakingly redownloading all my old Wii Shop stuff onto my Wii U is the hardest I've owned myself in quite some time

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Painstakingly redownloading all my old Wii Shop stuff onto my Wii U is the hardest I've owned myself in quite some time

I believe you can still redownload Wii Shop stuff after the 31st. The deadline then is just for buying stuff with points you already had loaded onto your account.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What bugs? I've seen a couple bugs that can create the game by their all stuff like "Select mii swordfighter with these four specific moves on Omega stage and use this move at the same time as duck hunt uses this move) or situate Isabelle and villager right here and use a string of specific moves, not stuff that is likely to come up in natural play

I didnt find jack poo poo either beyond those stupidly specific bugs no QA ever would find. The most was online is laggy etc. Shocker, a goon was hyperbolic about nothing.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Old news now but I'm personally glad Nintendo did that with MP4 - and announced it - because the alternative was releasing a heap of poo poo and me being disappointed. Now, I might still get disappointed years down the line, but there's maybe a slightly higher chance that I won't.

It's time to forget about metroid again.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Was the original Donkey Kong Country ever good? I started playing it on my SNES Classic because I thought it would be cool to beat it before I play Tropical Freeze, but holy moly is this game unfun. The level design is almost deliberately asinine, is it just me or is this game bad?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Lego City Undercover shits itself after ~2 hours of co-op play with a regularity that went from infuriating to funny. Apparently this isn't just an issue with how the game got ported to Switch, and is true for every Lego game on the Switch if you play them co-op.

Regular crashing is a bug in literally every one of the Lego franchise games from the very beginning, it's a proud tradition at this point. It's not exclusive to Nintendo at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Was the original Donkey Kong Country ever good? I started playing it on my SNES Classic because I thought it would be cool to beat it before I play Tropical Freeze, but holy moly is this game unfun. The level design is almost deliberately asinine, is it just me or is this game bad?

I think it’s good but a lot of people say it was a graphic tech demo. What do you think is wrong with the level design?

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think it’s good but a lot of people say it was a graphic tech demo. What do you think is wrong with the level design?

It’s mostly the levels with the mine carts and barrel jumps, there are so many sections where you have to get lucky if you don’t want to die your first try through the level. It’s more frustrating than challenging after a while

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I literally never saw a tengen game on sale anywhere aside from used ones at Funcoland and for rent at Mr Movies. Where did they come from? Where were they sold?

Mysteries of the ages.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Independent game stores (criminal enterprises the ones that lasted anyway).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

It’s mostly the levels with the mine carts and barrel jumps, there are so many sections where you have to get lucky if you don’t want to die your first try through the level. It’s more frustrating than challenging after a while

Old 2d platformers were generally not as good as we remember them. Part of the tedium was kinda necessary, because you really wanted that new game to last more than the 1-2 hours it would take to beat if it was easy. Even when it was new, the big it factor DKC had was its graphics, and some of its gameplay gimmicks like the animals and the boss fights. No one really thought of it as having amazing level design.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Release Little Nemo you cowards.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

The sequel does a lot better job.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Old 2d platformers were generally not as good as we remember them. Part of the tedium was kinda necessary, because you really wanted that new game to last more than the 1-2 hours it would take to beat if it was easy. Even when it was new, the big it factor DKC had was its graphics, and some of its gameplay gimmicks like the animals and the boss fights. No one really thought of it as having amazing level design.

But it's not bad either. I re-played the three of them just a year ago and the hold up pretty well. Maybe MAYBE DKC 3 approaches genuine Mario level like level design (and that's having played them alongside World's 1+2, and if I'm being honest DKC 3 isn't anywhere that good) and I think that's being super generous, but they're far from bad or even mediocre.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

K8.0 posted:

I played Super Mario World and Yoshi’s Island recently and they still hold up surprisingly well so I was optimistic about DKC. Oh well, I’ll probably abuse save states and beat it as cheaply as I can

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I played Super Mario World and Yoshi’s Island recently and they still hold up surprisingly well so I was optimistic about DKC. Oh well, I’ll probably abuse save states and beat it as cheaply as I can

Most of the barrel levels have shortcuts you can skip the whole stage with. Look them up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Donkey Kong Country 2 is like a textbook of good platform level design. DKC1 often doesn't have a consistent flow, and DKC3 has a tendency to spread weak ideas too thinly, but 2 is one of the best platformers of its decade.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DKC will always fill me with Christmas nostalgia. I didn't own it, but I kept seeing the commercial, and a friend of mine had it. That snowy level just brings me back to that time so much that I can't help but think of it as wonderful.

I actually hate playing the game, though.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I know I'm probably going to get pointed and laughed at, but... I bought Link to the Past on the Wii U digital shop several years ago.

I'm going to have to re-buy it for the Switch aren't I?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Don’t worry, you won’t have to buy it again because it’ll never be released on the Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Krime posted:

I know I'm probably going to get pointed and laughed at, but... I bought Link to the Past on the Wii U digital shop several years ago.

I'm going to have to re-buy it for the Switch aren't I?

It’ll probably be released for “free” if you have an Online membership. There’s indication that SNES games are coming and that’s one of the listed games.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 28, 2019

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Oh... I just assumed the Switch had a digital shop like the Wii U but Nintendo would lock titles to systems. Silly me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Maybe don't get tropical freeze then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, Tropical Freeze is harder than the original DKC trilogy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Funky Kong and myself have become quite acquainted with each other because I’m a loving scrub.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beastie posted:

Funky Kong and myself have become quite acquainted with each other because I’m a loving scrub.

That's okay because Funky Kong owns.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Nintendo should release randomizer LttP on the switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Reality Winter posted:

Nintendo should release randomizer LttP on the switch.

I’d be more excited for a legit randomized 2D Zelda over a Zelda Maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Release Little Nemo you cowards.

It's kind of ironic how Capcom released a six game collection of Disney NES games on every platform except Nintendo's.