Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I really enjoyed Man of Steel, and thought some ideas in BvS were interesting, although the movie as a whole had some major issues. When both of these came out I remember reading a lot of interesting critiques about the films. I have two friends who think both movies are absolute garbage, but are willing to group watch them and discuss. I'd like to pre-read a bit before the discussion. Does anyone remember any essays/articles/interpretations/critiques they thought were particularly good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megasabin posted:

I really enjoyed Man of Steel, and thought some ideas in BvS were interesting, although the movie as a whole had some major issues. When both of these came out I remember reading a lot of interesting critiques about the films. I have two friends who think both movies are absolute garbage, but are willing to group watch them and discuss. I'd like to pre-read a bit before the discussion. Does anyone remember any essays/articles/interpretations/critiques they thought were particularly good?

Yeah just search for all my posts in the thread.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
SMG's has a pretty good point about isolation in Man of Steel that juxtaposes Superman floating in the void after saving the oil workers with him being locked in the closet and such. Most of his stuff is really thought provoking even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Megasabin posted:

K. Waste's Devotional on Man of Steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKI0UO5U7qo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yeah or that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
BTW here's the original Man of Steel and BvS threads if you guys want to go post-hunting, you gotta have archives access.

MoS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522629

BvS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750431

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
In addition to K.Waste's video, check out Josh09's Man of Steel is not objectivist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oooh god that narrator voice, what the gently caress?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

K.wastes evil robot voice has grown on me over time but also cus it’s a great video

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Deadline posted:

As Aquaman is poised to momentarily supplant The Dark Knight Rises as the biggest grossing film in the DC Universe, Warner Bros has begun the process of bringing director James Wan back for the inevitable sequel. Sources said the plan in discussion is for Wan to oversee the development of a second film, including the selection of writers, and then make a decision on whether to direct it, when he sees the script.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/aquaman-sequel-james-wan-plan-jason-momoa-dc-warner-bros-1202540137/

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

You watching Jeremy Kyle is both unexpected but completely welcomed by me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

You watching Jeremy Kyle is both unexpected but completely welcomed by me.

mandatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZb9-7i-ncc

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
https://twitter.com/KennethJWaste2/status/1089021665340739584

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Glad to see The KISS Demon landed on his feet

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Megasabin posted:

This essay on 'Batman v Superman' and it's structure as a take on the Elizabethan/Jacobean revenge tragedy form is quite interesting although I would have used the more universal Freytag's Pyramid to explain the five act structure. It is notable though that it is one of the few analyses if BvS that manages to correctly identify that it has a five act structure rather than the three act structure that is so pervasive in modern film.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Highlight of seeing Glass was when one of the characters was googling something and the person next to me leaned to their wife and whispered "he's a mastermind".

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I'm not sure where this goes, but I'd like to know if Sarah Paulson's costuming and makeup in Glass had any particular symbolism. Supposedly Mr. Glass is drawn as a villain by having his hair suggest beady eyes, each character has a signature color, purple for Glass, yellow for The Horde, and green for The Overseer (David Dunn.) Sarah Paulson's character has dyed red hair, pale makeup with very dark eyebrows, and some seriously tall heels. I suppose that goes with her character being the antagonist, but I'd like to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, I'd had the ending somewhat spoiled but it still went a lot of places I wasn't anticipating. It makes a nice closed loop for the trilogy.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"

Jutsuka posted:

This essay on 'Batman v Superman' and it's structure as a take on the Elizabethan/Jacobean revenge tragedy form is quite interesting although I would have used the more universal Freytag's Pyramid to explain the five act structure. It is notable though that it is one of the few analyses if BvS that manages to correctly identify that it has a five act structure rather than the three act structure that is so pervasive in modern film.

Can you explain the 5 act pyramid to me like I'm 12, I count 6 acts.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

WarEternal posted:

Highlight of seeing Glass was when one of the characters was googling something and the person next to me leaned to their wife and whispered "he's a mastermind".

*i have not seen the movie but* if he was in a coma for 19 years how does he even know how to computer?

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Free Triangle posted:

Can you explain the 5 act pyramid to me like I'm 12, I count 6 acts.

To be honest that graphic is not the best, I just picked the first one I could find with some explanatory text embedded. Maybe this one will be easier to parse.

A five act structure is divided into:

1: Exposition

quote:

The exposition is the portion of a story that introduces important background information to the audience; for example, information about the setting, events occurring before the main plot, characters' back stories, etc. Exposition can be conveyed through dialogues, flashbacks, characters' thoughts, background details, in-universe media, or the narrator telling a back-story.

2: Rising Action

quote:

In the rising action, a series of events build toward the point of greatest interest. The rising action of a story is the series of events that begin immediately after the exposition (introduction) of the story and builds up to the climax. These events are generally the most important parts of the story since the entire plot depends on them to set up the climax and ultimately the satisfactory resolution of the story itself.

3: Climax

quote:

The climax is the turning point, which changes the protagonist's fate. If the story is a comedy and things were going badly for the protagonist, the plot will begin to unfold in his or her favor, often requiring the protagonist to draw on hidden inner strengths. If the story is a tragedy, the opposite state of affairs will ensue, with things going from good to bad for the protagonist, often revealing the protagonist's hidden weaknesses.

4: Falling Action

quote:

During the falling action, the conflict between the protagonist and the antagonist unravels, with the protagonist winning or losing against the antagonist. The falling action may contain a moment of final suspense, in which the final outcome of the conflict is in doubt.

5: Dénouement

quote:

The dénouement comprises events from the end of the falling action to the actual ending scene of the drama or narrative. Conflicts are resolved, creating normality for the characters and a sense of catharsis, or release of tension and anxiety, for the reader. The comedy ends with a dénouement, in which the protagonist is better off than at the story's outset. The tragedy ends with a catastrophe, in which the protagonist is worse off than at the beginning of the narrative.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Goffer posted:

*i have not seen the movie but* if he was in a coma for 19 years how does he even know how to computer?

he was bullshitting/faking them out for years

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

WarEternal posted:

I haven't seen any other examples in awhile but I immediately was thinking Glass had the most realistic computer use I've seen in a movie at least in awhile. The person doing the googling was opening multiple tabs to save stuff in, and then later another character wrote what looked like a realistic conditional (although the text was too tiny/quick to see what language it was)

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I haven't seen any other examples in awhile but I immediately was thinking Glass had the most realistic computer use I've seen in a movie at least in awhile. The person doing the googling was opening multiple tabs to save stuff in, and then later another character wrote what looked like a realistic conditional (although the text was too tiny/quick to see what language it was)

I feel like Shyamalan always does a good job with little touches like this.

I just really liked Glass overall. I keep reading people saying the ending ruined it for them somehow, and I'm really not comprehending the complaint at all. If anything, the middle is where it lost me for a bit. The last 20 minutes turned it from an average Shyamalan movie into maybe my favorite of all his films.

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.

Megasabin posted:

On top of what everyone else has recommended, I think this is also very much worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I watched K. Waste's video, which was great. In the middle of reading that one essay linked for Beavis. I plan to watch the other two videos before next weekend when we are going to do this. I already loved Man of Steel, but these videos are starting to make me learn towards it being my favorite superhero film.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

One of us, one of us, one of us

Here's some more reading material if ya wamt it

https://geeksofcolor.co/2017/08/17/the-ultimate-immigrant-story-zack-snyders-superman/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/christandpopculture/2013/07/superman-not-just-a-man-but-a-just-man/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gerard Way did a cover of Hazy Shade of Winter for his Netflix show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTCrqXpKHec

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Glass whipped rear end. One thing I was very VERY surprised to see was how interestingly the action was shot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 28, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Glass whipped rear end.

Interesting. I still haven't seen it, but a lot of the posters I generally trust seem to be digging it heavily, despite the critical response. What did you like about it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

Interesting. I still haven't seen it, but a lot of the posters I generally trust seem to be digging it heavily, despite the critical response. What did you like about it?

This sounds random, but one thing I really love is how M. Night gets away with having characters speak directly to the camera.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I'm glad to see people around here taking to Glass, I'm a bit confused by the poor reception when generally I at least understand where people are coming from.

Definitely going to start re-watching his films that I haven't seen in quite a while, and some of the ones I skipped due to bad reception. My recollection of Unbreakable paled in comparison to actually watching it again. Excited to give The Village another watch soon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hey, this movie is still happening.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Sad that the last Fox X-Men movie is probably going to be bad.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Wasn't there a completely different X-Men movie filmed that was supposed to come out early last year? What happened to that?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Almost Blue posted:

Wasn't there a completely different X-Men movie filmed that was supposed to come out early last year? What happened to that?

New Mutants. It's been pushed back multiple times. Still supposed to be released this year.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Sad that the last Fox X-Men movie is probably going to be bad.

New Mutants is supposed to come out after it and Simon Kinberg did not direct that one.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The MSJ posted:

New Mutants is supposed to come out after it and Simon Kinberg did not direct that one.

I don't believe that's going to get a theatrical release but I guess it still counts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This sounds random, but one thing I really love is how M. Night gets away with having characters speak directly to the camera.

I like this about him too. Especially in Signs. I find it to be wonderfully emotional at times.

The action scenes ruled too, like you said. The van scene is a pretty interesting way to do a fight like that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spacebump posted:

I don't believe that's going to get a theatrical release but I guess it still counts.

I'm honestly going to be surprised if New Mutants comes out at all. Like, Disney has literally no reason to bother releasing that movie instead of just memory-holing it and making their own "New Mutants" movie a decade from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

WarEternal posted:

I'm glad to see people around here taking to Glass, I'm a bit confused by the poor reception when generally I at least understand where people are coming from.

Anecdotal, but people I know who saw it talked about being on board up until the final act and then feeling betrayed. They wanted a more conventional ending. I thought it ruled all the way through!