Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the real advantage uber has over taxis isn't the subsidy, tho that is a big draw

it's that you get real time feedback on how long you have to wait and where your ride is. people hate waiting around for something to happen, and they especially hate waiting around while drunk. and you only need to get hosed over once, trying to leave a bar and your taxi never shows up, or needing to go somewhere important and the taxi is a half hour late, to swear off taxis in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
In a way, I'm kinda glad that darker skinned PoC is invisible to AI. That way when the murder drones go haywire, they'll be the only group left alive in the end.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1089584983415627776

Presidential Message on International Holocaust Remembrance Day posted:

On April 27, 1945, a young soldier of the 12th Armored Division of the United States Army wrote these astonishing words to his wife in the United States: “Although I may never talk about what I have witnessed today. I will never forget what I have seen.” Aaron A. Eiferman’s division was moving to a new position near Dachau when they “came across a prison camp.” His historic account, like all subsequent descriptions, lacked the words to adequately convey the horror and the suffering that occurred at Dachau and in the other concentration and death camps of the Holocaust.

The Third Reich, and its collaborators, pursued the complete elimination of the entire Jewish people. Six million Jews were systematically slaughtered in horrific ways. The Nazis also enslaved and murdered Slavs, Roma, gays, people with disabilities, religious leaders, and others who courageously opposed their cruel regime. The brutality of the Holocaust was a crime against men, women, and children. It was a crime against humanity. It was a crime against God.

On International Holocaust Remembrance Day, we hold in our hearts the memory of every man, woman, and child who was abused, tortured, or murdered during the Holocaust. To remember these men and women—those who perished and those who survived—is to strive to prevent such suffering from happening again. Any denial or indifference to the horror of this chapter in the history of humankind diminishes all men and women everywhere and invites repetition of this great evil. We remain committed to the post-Holocaust imperative, “Never Again.” “Never Again” means not only remembering—in a profound and lasting way—the evils of the Holocaust, but it also means remembering the individual men and women in this Nation, and throughout the world, who have devoted their lives to the preservation and security of the Jewish people and to the betterment of all mankind.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1089589587456991233

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean I don't give a poo poo about the show but freaking out because people pointed out that the episode was about the thing you were mad about it not being about is dumb

Being mad at the person frustrated by the actual lived experience of the racism in question is infinitely dumber. The right move would have been to just move on instead of well actually all over the place. The episode and knowledge of it doesn't really matter in the face of allowing a space for people to vent frustration at oppression.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

qkkl posted:

Swiss banks don't store money for free.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

alpha_destroy posted:

Being mad at the person frustrated by the actual lived experience of the racism in question is infinitely dumber. The right move would have been to just move on instead of well actually all over the place. The episode and knowledge of it doesn't really matter in the face of allowing a space for people to vent frustration at oppression.

If light is oppressive then I want to vent about the sunburns I get being mostly Irish. If only the sun wasn't so racist.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Can we agree that the faucets are better with taps and TV rots yer brains

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Are there any good books by former conservatives who had a come-to-jesus moment? The only thing I can really find is that one by Max Boot and... yeah, I'm skeptical.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

KingNastidon posted:

This is muddied by Uber and Lyft being able to play with economies of scale and operate at a temporary loss due to VC money, but you can't just blame the consumer for choosing the superior service. If there existed an app that replicated the Uber / Lyft user experience, but staffed by independent taxi services, then people would use it. But there isn't likely because taxi services are a notoriously anti-consumer industry that has survived [until now] due to lack of competition.

There's Flywheel for one. It tracks your driver in real time as they come pick you up and handles payment automatically.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Rectal Death Adept posted:

If light is oppressive then I want to vent about the sunburns I get being mostly Irish. If only the sun wasn't so racist.

You realize there's a difference between the sun and something that was designed by pasty stemlords, right?

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

Traditional taxi services dont exploit enough workers to provide an Uber-like experience

They also don't have an app that allows me to find a car anywhere in the US instantaneously, track its location and contact driver if needed, have confidence I can use american express, have a receipt with map sent to my email address, and provide feedback on especially poor drivers. If you have to travel a lot for work then that all seems really important when you just need to reliably get from X to Y.

When all that can be accomplished by traditional taxi services then consumers will care more about whether they're competitive. Unsurprisingly people aren't outraged by the plight of taxi companies and by proxy their drivers when their service aggressively sucks rear end and always has. I don't think Uber and Lyft are "good," but someone or something has to meet the demand given now established expectations.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 27, 2019

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

KingNastidon posted:

They also don't have an app that allows me to find a car anywhere in the US instantaneously, track its location and contact driver if needed, have confidence I can use american express rather, have a receipt with map sent to my email address, and provide feedback on especially poor drivers. If you have to travel a lot for work then that all seems really important when you just need to reliably get from X to Y.

When all that can be accomplished by traditional taxi services then consumers will care more about whether they're competitive. Unsurprisingly people aren't outraged by the plight of taxi companies and by proxy their drivers when their service aggressively sucks rear end and always has. I don't think Uber and Lyft are "good," but someone or something has to meet the demand given now established expectations.

In Denver they've had an app that lets you follow the taxi since 2012.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Crow Jane posted:

You realize there's a difference between the sun and something that was designed by pasty stemlords, right?

I mean the issue is that the early models of consumer sensing technology used infrared light sensors which didn't pick up on darker skin tones. Which is an issue with the way light reflection works. Not that racist white people were oppressing minorities by depriving them of soap.

I know some of the automatic lighting I've installed doesn't detect me if i'm wearing dark clothing. I didn't really think that the switches were programmed for discrimination.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ an extremely oblivious post

Luckyellow posted:

In a way, I'm kinda glad that darker skinned PoC is invisible to AI. That way when the murder drones go haywire, they'll be the only group left alive in the end.

Pls do not disclose the IP for my upcoming movie, Shaft Vs. Terminator

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Petr posted:

Are there any good books by former conservatives who had a come-to-jesus moment? The only thing I can really find is that one by Max Boot and... yeah, I'm skeptical.

https://www.amazon.com/Blinded-Right-Ex-Conservative-David-Brock/dp/1400047285, lol.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crow Jane posted:

And God said let there be light, and there was light, and he realized he was mistaken because holy poo poo that's too bright and it's puttin some bad glare off his sick rear end flat screen.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

I mean the issue is that the early models of consumer sensing technology used infrared light sensors which didn't pick up on darker skin tones. Which is an issue with the way light reflection works. Not that racist white people were oppressing minorities by depriving them of soap.

I know some of the automatic lighting I've installed doesn't detect me if i'm wearing dark clothing. I didn't really think that the switches were programmed for discrimination.

The issue, genius, is that they were designed, and installed in public spaces, without anyone taking darker skin tones into account.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Spacebump posted:

In Denver they've had an app that lets you follow the taxi since 2012.

Right, and SF had flywheel as someone mentioned and I used it a lot. The limitations are now 1) common platform across major metros and 2) service outside metros. I can do just fine without Uber in NYC, less so when at random office park in middle of NJ burbs.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Petr posted:

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Crow Jane posted:

The issue, genius, is that they were designed, and installed in public spaces, without anyone taking darker skin tones into account.

Yeah, I understood that and I think if you are going to portray it as oppressive racism that the burden of proof is on you.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Yeah, I understood that and I think if you are going to portray it as oppressive racism that the burden of proof is on you.

You're misunderstanding the difference between oppressive and systemic

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

So the explanation is that of all he people developing, testing and marketing these devices, not one of them had dark skin

OR

This was a known issue during testing and they just ignored any POC who pointed it out.

They’re no scenario where racism wasn’t involved.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

It's like asthma and albuterol inhalers.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

"Racism is over because people aren't openly racist" is not a good hill to die on.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

alpha_destroy posted:

drat I didn't realize correcting someone about the plot of a sitcom was saying they couldn't be mad about racism

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Luckyellow posted:

Bad news: The murderdrones sense body heat.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

alpha_destroy posted:

It's like asthma and albuterol inhalers.

Can you elaborate on this?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Fallom posted:

You are massively understating the impact of ride share services imo.

Ride share services are not a job anyone chooses to go into by their own volition. You drive people around in your loving car all day, gradually destroying it, because there is nothing else you can do for work. It’s a loving portent for the chasm we find ourselves standing on the precipice of. There is literally nothing good about it, but that it serves as an early warning sign for how loving miserable everything is going to be for everyone.

But yeah, let’s wax on about how convenient it is for you

i am harry fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 27, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This hamilton vs uber conversation seems like the joke tumblr post about a pretend old person complaining kids today are too busy for turtles because there is no app for turtles except people are being serious.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

You know one of the many many reasons that PoC have shorter life expectancy? It's stress. Stress is bad for you. And living in a racist country is stressful. Even little inconveniences matter in aggregate. So, you know, stop trying to kill our Black posters by making being here stressful.

Edit:

Mr. Powers posted:

Give me a sec and I'll get a link. But it comes down to how albuterol and asthma studies only focused on white folks.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Eeyo posted:

The case against Uber's treatment of workers its pretty obvious so I won't state it. Single-destination transport is also fundamentally mis-aligned with climate goals, since transportation is resource intensive and makes up a significant portion of greenhouse gas emissions. Making it frictionless to have a driver drive from A to B only increases the demand for transport.

I would say their pool service addresses some of that. If you use their cheapest pool option (the one that makes you walk a minute or two to a specific pick up point) you can reduce the cost by 2/3rds. That’s a pretty big incentive to pool

It’s frustrating as Lyft doesn’t have as strong a pool incentive: as lyft is a better company.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Farchanter posted:

Yeah, their business model is clearly "starve traditional taxi services to death and then raise rates to basically cost the same as a taxi."

I think their long-term model is automated transit, because the idea is starve the taxi companies to death, then apply automated vehicles and get rid of their contractors.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Mr. Powers posted:

Looks like a beta blocker vs ACE inhibitor type deal. Using what works the majority of the time(I.e. white people) without breaking down ethnicities.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-asthma-inhaler-is-failing-minority-children

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Well I got beat, but here is another link:

https://gizmodo.com/asthma-inhalers-fail-minority-children-due-to-a-lack-of-1823804976

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

i am harry posted:

Ride share services are not a job anyone chooses to go into by their own volition. You drive people around in your loving car all day, gradually destroying it, because there is nothing else you can do for work. It’s a loving portent for the chasm we find ourselves standing on the precipice of. There is literally nothing good about it, but that it serves as an early warning sign for how loving miserable everything is going to be for everyone.

But yeah, let’s wax on about how convenient it is for you

I mean, slavery is prettty good for some of the people, right?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

alpha_destroy posted:

You know one of the many many reasons that PoC have shorter life expectancy? It's stress. Stress is bad for you. And living in a racist country is stressful. Even little inconveniences matter in aggregate. So, you know, stop trying to kill our Black posters by making being here stressful.

jesus loving christ

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Hunt11 posted:

I disagree. There isn't anything that newsworthy going on right now besides the US trying to recover from Trump's latest temper tantrum so I would love to hear more about all of this.

I'm not good at serious posting, so in lieu of reading the following, you could just listen to this talk from (admittedly a white cishet dude) Mike Monteiro https://youtu.be/vW2moFk074Q about design and ethics.

Mike primarily does UI/UX or more graphic design/digital design work, but there's a ton of overlap between conventional, physical industrial design and digital -- eg, for whatever reason, "product design" now refers primarily to digital product designers, which kinda sucks because industrial design is a terrible loving name.

anyway, design and ethics, and issues. this won't be very in-depth, or sourced, or particularly well arraigned. I'll divide it into four main categories: old data and assumptions, manufacturing, perception, and oversight.

so, old data and assumptions -- essentially, you need diversity and better, newer data and ethnography
I already talked a little about the anthropometric side of that. in anthropometrics, there's generally a rule of designing for the 5-95% percentiles (depending on the particular measurement -- eg you want 95% clearance, but 5% reach). that still leaves out a lot of outliers, but it does way more than aiming for, for instance, the 50% "average person" (who doesn't exist; everyone is a beautiful snowflake of varied percentiles. I have 85% hip width, yet 8% hand length, for instance).

of course, to do due diligence, you also need to include things like wheelchair users (and more than just one kind), arthritic users, colorblind users, ESL users, etc. but, is that data up to date with current estimates and does it include constraints from newer technology (eg braille vs TTS)?

you also need to understand ways in which people approach technology and how it's changed, and how it differs for different groups. and how culture affects it. for that, you need people who understand that culture, and who can tell if you're impeding on a norm that you don't know.

products need to be designed either by, or at least including, the demographic that will use it.

also, gender. don't assume. don't assume that something is used only by men, or only by women, or only by cis people. amazingly the answer to this is also, have some diversity.

second bit, manufacturing. essentially, we need to consider the impacts, ecologically, socially, etc, and not prioritize those way after profit margins

to broach this more is to broach capitalism as a whole. but, more simply who is literally manufacturing the product and what effect does the process have on them? what materials are you using? what is the life cycle of it, how long will it actually be used? where will it go when it's life is up? how much ecological harm does it have?

cost cutting, imo, is a bigger source of planned obsolescence now. you don't need to discuss ways to make the product fail by a certain time. just use cost-cutting measures, and it'll do the work for you. judge your manufacturing engineers by how much they reduce cost.

granted, how much can the designer actually influence that? it's a tough call tbqh -- you're just doing your job! but it's an ethical question anyhow.

probably the biggest thing I think about in design ethics is perception. essentially, perceived obsolescence is some very real bullshit

perceived obsolescence goes hand in hand with the manufacturing part. you don't need to worry as much about the product eventually failing because of cost cutting, if the new product is designed to make the old product look immensely inferior. and, because of the cost cutting, it's now cheap enough that hey, just buy a new one! it's cheap enough!

I don't hate design aesthetic trends at their core. I think they're pretty cool, actually. but when the main differences between a yearly refresh are actually just perception, just a changing of style to make the current look old, what are you really designing?

that's also tied to the fact that consumer products generally aren't sold direct to consumers. designing for the user & designing for the customer are two different things. the customer is probably the retailer, who you need to show a new product to, and it needs to be different enough to be marketable. new skus!!!!

the other part of that is the marketing/advertising aspects. finding a pain point and then designing solutions is one thing, but causing a pain point (or just making one up) and then solving it? how is that different than setting a fire just so you can be the hero who puts it out?

in the end, a lot of products (and especially digital products) are after behavioral manipulation, in order to get people to spend money -- you're made to feel bad, but wait! there's a solution! and you buy it. or your kitchen widget looks too old, so you buy a new one. or you play a game and it turns out to basically be a skinnerbox, and suddenly you're buying tokens for gatcha.

and finally, oversight, and why we need it -- because design, bad design, malicious design, ill-thought-through design, and behavioral manipulation through design are actively harming us. .
there's just not a ton of oversight. there's no licensing for it, for good or bad I guess. anyone can be a designer, and sometimes products get designed by engineers, which is it's own issue.

too many designers think that design can solve all issues. it can't.

when I was in college, I tried to explain to a classmate why their designs for decluttering wouldn't actually work for hoarders. all the cabinet space in the world won't solve a mental health issue.

designing a solution for a developing country, as someone not from a developing country, all from the comfort of your US office, with little to no interaction with people there is, frankly, loving offensive. that's how you end up with solutions that either don't serve, or actively hinder, the people they're meant for. well, if they ever get manufactured at all, that is.

Viktor Papanek is a good source on this part -- his suggestion is that when designing for an area like that, is to teach. but, that doesn't mean to teach people there to design. rather, teach people to teach how to design. however, he said this back in the 70s/80s.

these days, if someone wants to fund an initiative in a developing country for design, they need to contact those local designers because they already exist. there's no need to hire fuseproject again unless you just want to show that you can afford yves behar, i guess.

on the oversight question, i don't know what the answer really is. I agree with having an oath, which is part of what Mike Monteiro suggests. I recommend this to read: https://theblog.adobe.com/design-ethics-who-designers-really-work-for/

finally, :capitalism:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

theblackw0lf posted:

I would say their pool service addresses some of that. If you use their cheapest pool option (the one that makes you walk a minute or two to a specific pick up point) you can reduce the cost by 2/3rds. That’s a pretty big incentive to pool

It’s frustrating as Lyft doesn’t have as strong a pool incentive: as lyft is a better company.

It's frustrating Lyft responds to safety issues by sending a survey on how likely you are to recommend them to a friend. I used to prefer them over Uber but will never us the company again because of that. Both companies have issues but I'd have a hard time calling lyft better. They can both be about as bad in different ways.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

i am harry posted:

Then uniformly establish a higher minimum wage, cheaper housing, and provide healthcare. If you eliminate Uber and Lyft tomorrow then there is still a demand for people to be driven places when they don't have access to a car or public transportation. Erasing the app doesn't mean that drivers are now free to take accounting or engineering jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Koalas March posted:

Literally "why are you so angry about racism" and "why aren't you happy with white people's self indulgent scraps"

Let me tell you something guys, I handle you with kid gloves 90% of the time and when I don't your true colors come out every loving time and instead of saying it's ok for me to be loving angry about racism it y'all about how I shouldn't act angry in the first place. I should have a quiet, more respectable anger, one y'all don't have to see

Y'all are one step away from calling me ungrateful because sitcom did a thing isn't good enough for me

No, it was literally “I don’t think you saw the episode because you are describing it incorrectly,”