Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Acceptableloss posted:

This Asrock mobo documentation is confusing the crap out of me.

The specs on the board say:
- AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge) support DDR4 3200+(OC)/2933(OC)/2667/2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*

But this snip is from the manual seems to contradict it. What does this stuff below mean? I got DDR4 3000 MHz RAM and I'm trying to be sure it's compatible before I turn the thing on.

SR/DR: Single Rank / Dual Rank

It's referring to single/dual-sided DIMMs. It should state on your memory's box or online specs if it's single/dual-sided.

More succinctly, put your DIMMs in A2/B2, and then set the AXMP/DOCP settings in BIOS to the speed it's rated for using what's usually called "Profile 1" in the drop-down menu. Then run Ryzen Master to ensure it's stable. If it isn't, drop the memory speed manually to 2933Mhz as the Ryzen 2xxx chips have no problem with that speed most of the time.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

This is a small PSA to anyone that only has a macOS computer and is building a new PC. They have removed the ability to make Windows usb installers from Boot Camp Assistant, so don't do what I did and spend hours trying to make one using macOS, just download a Windows10 VM and use Rufus.

On the other hand, building a computer is easier than ever, cases have improved so much since 2008.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Acceptableloss posted:

This Asrock mobo documentation is confusing the crap out of me.

The specs on the board say:
- AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge) support DDR4 3200+(OC)/2933(OC)/2667/2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*

But this snip is from the manual seems to contradict it. What does this stuff below mean? I got DDR4 3000 MHz RAM and I'm trying to be sure it's compatible before I turn the thing on.

The SR and DR are Single Rank and Dual Rank DIMMs. Single Rank = one set of memory modules on the PCB, will only be on one side of the board, Dual Rank = two sets of memory modules on the PCB, with only one accessible at a time, it's like having 2 DIMMs plugged in to the same slot. You can have more RAM per module with dual rank DIMMs, but it will be slower by necessity of it needing to switch back and forth between banks.

You won't run into Dual Rank DIMMs until you get to 16/32GB per DIMM, so don't worry about it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

:goonsay: Actually, some 8GB DIMMs, especially the cheaper variety, are still dual-sided, so it makes sense to double-check

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:goonsay: Actually, some 8GB DIMMs, especially the cheaper variety, are still dual-sided, so it makes sense to double-check

Those kind would be cheap enough to not rock heatsinks I'd think.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Addamere posted:

I could not just stop worrying and so I downloaded HWMonitor to check my temps ...

65c seems a bit high when all I've got going on right now is some chrome tabs open.

Continuing along this tangent, I'm still getting my new build dialed in just do. I wanted to compare those stats with other OCed 2700x users, but the web's full of talk about 1700X and 1800X voltages.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Continuing along this tangent, I'm still getting my new build dialed in just do. I wanted to compare those stats with other OCed 2700x users, but the web's full of talk about 1700X and 1800X voltages.

Ryzens are really weird with voltage and overclocking. Precision Boost Overdrive doubly so, because it will push what would normally be an unsafe voltage over a long time through the CPU to get a little extra turbo (for a very very short period of time).

For an example of what happens when you give your CPU the beans and push it hard, this is what precision boost overdrive looks like under prime95.

Ignore the max clock speed I'm positive that's a bug, it capped out at 4.25Ghz. Normally my CPU's VCore is somewhere around 1.35, but it will go all the way to 1.45 or 1.5 for short bursts to get a little extra bump of speed.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 27, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So as another mark for the "pro" column in favor of the Gigabyte boards, the newest BIOS mention support for 32GB UDIMMs.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What’s the recommended HDD for a NAS these days? I’m going to repurpose my old 2500k into a NAS.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

What’s the recommended HDD for a NAS these days? I’m going to repurpose my old 2500k into a NAS.

You're in luck, Backblaze just put out revised reliability stats a few days ago: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/

Obviously not every drive is on there, but it should give you a general peek at a larger sample size than is usually gleaned by reading the 1-2 star reviews on Amazon and Newegg.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

TheFluff posted:

DDR4 speeds above 2666MHz are technically overclocking. If you have a kit that's rated for 3000MHz, that just means that it's been tested to clock that high on some specific CPU/motherboard combination. It'll happily run at any speed below that as well (disregarding timings, but that's a different story). In the table from the manual, SR and DR stands for single rank and dual rank (a memory stick can be either single or dual rank), but we don't need to go into further detail about what that means right now - what you can learn from the table is:
1. If you only have two sticks of RAM, they should go in slots A2 and B2
2. If you have four sticks of RAM, they might not clock as high as if you only have two

If this is the first time you're booting the system up, just put the sticks in there and go - it'll default to the stock memory speed of 2666MHz and (hopefully) boot. When you got the system up and running and everything seems fine, you should try enabling XMP in BIOS which will make the RAM run at its rated overclocked speed, and see if everything is stable. If not you might need to downclock the RAM a bit.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

SR/DR: Single Rank / Dual Rank

It's referring to single/dual-sided DIMMs. It should state on your memory's box or online specs if it's single/dual-sided.

More succinctly, put your DIMMs in A2/B2, and then set the AXMP/DOCP settings in BIOS to the speed it's rated for using what's usually called "Profile 1" in the drop-down menu. Then run Ryzen Master to ensure it's stable. If it isn't, drop the memory speed manually to 2933Mhz as the Ryzen 2xxx chips have no problem with that speed most of the time.

orange juche posted:

The SR and DR are Single Rank and Dual Rank DIMMs. Single Rank = one set of memory modules on the PCB, will only be on one side of the board, Dual Rank = two sets of memory modules on the PCB, with only one accessible at a time, it's like having 2 DIMMs plugged in to the same slot. You can have more RAM per module with dual rank DIMMs, but it will be slower by necessity of it needing to switch back and forth between banks.

You won't run into Dual Rank DIMMs until you get to 16/32GB per DIMM, so don't worry about it.

Thank you all. I have them in A1 and B1 right now so I'll move them before I boot it up and look for all that stuff in the BIOS.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update on my power supply fan issue: it still spins up and stays spun up forever, but now that the fan is facing upward and the side panels are back on the case it's much quieter than it was. At this point I'm debating whether it's even worth the hassle of the RMA process, since it's no longer irritatingly loud.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Something is wrong with it. PSU fans are not generally very noticable. Be safe, RMA it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

RMA it, it's a bad fan bearing probably and it will eventually get worse. RMAAAA

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Is the NZXT 400i worth the extra money over the 400 for the fan controller? I don't really care about the RGB stuff. I've found that the fan controller on the mobo is usually sufficient but the reviews I've read talk about how good the 400i fan controller is.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Building a new computer. Want to stream and game at high settings. I have a ton of newbie questions as the last time I built a PC was a long time ago and since then I've only swapped in new parts.

I'm worried about meltdown and spectre. Can I just buy any i7-9xxxK and be happy?

Is cooling still unimportant nowadays or do I need to start thinking about some extra fans?

This says 9th gen should have *some* protection:
https://threatpost.com/new-ninth-gen-intel-cpus-shield-against-some-spectre-meltdown-variants/138152/

And I thought I saw another article that said 9th-gen i7s with the K suffix would have these protections?

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 27, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Don't be worried about that stuff. Yes a 9700k would be fine for gaming and streaming.

Cooling is important. Cases come with enough case fans. Aftermarket coolers for CPUs are mandatory.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Good to know! Thank you!

VelociBacon posted:

Aftermarket coolers for CPUs are mandatory.

This is new to me, however. What makes them necessary nowadays? Are they just quieter or is there something else?

E: I'm actually not planning to overclock, even though I think that's usually the intended purpose of the intel -K processors. I just assumed a K suffix would get me to the best of what one can get from this generation of intel processors.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 27, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

oliveoil posted:

Good to know! Thank you!

This is new to me, however. What makes them necessary nowadays? Are they just quieter or is there something else?

E: I'm actually not planning to overclock, even though I think that's usually the intended purpose of the intel -K processors. I just assumed a K suffix would get me to the best of what one can get from this generation of intel processors.

Ummm K chips don't come with coolers,so you would need one for sure.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
:aaa:

That makes sense. I'll look at reviews for aftermarket CPU coolers, then. Thank you!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

We can save you that time and recommend the noctua air coolers or the corsair AIO coolers, I'm extremely happy with my h115i pro from corsair but they're not really any better technically than the noctua air coolers. Someone will chime in with the actual models I hope, I'm just on my phone at work.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You're in luck, Backblaze just put out revised reliability stats a few days ago: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/

Obviously not every drive is on there, but it should give you a general peek at a larger sample size than is usually gleaned by reading the 1-2 star reviews on Amazon and Newegg.

Thought that would be the best guide however it looks like you can’t get those specific HGST drives locally. I guess I could import one...

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VelociBacon posted:

RMA it, it's a bad fan bearing probably and it will eventually get worse. RMAAAA

oh, ok. Well the support ticket is in on the EVGA website and they'll surely get to it in a timely fashion.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You can also cross ship with EVGA so they'll put a hold on your cc for the amount of the new PSU and ship it to you before you ship them the broken one.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VelociBacon posted:

You can also cross ship with EVGA so they'll put a hold on your cc for the amount of the new PSU and ship it to you before you ship them the broken one.

That's what I'm hoping for, yeah. I put in a support ticket explaining that's what I want, but it being Sunday afternoon I'm not expecting a reply for a couple days.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

We can save you that time and recommend the noctua air coolers or the corsair AIO coolers, I'm extremely happy with my h115i pro from corsair but they're not really any better technically than the noctua air coolers. Someone will chime in with the actual models I hope, I'm just on my phone at work.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Seems like air cooling has no risk of leaking like a water cooler. However, seem's like the Noctua (NH-D15) has problems with "memory clearance":

"If memory clearance is not a big deal, this is the air cooler to get when it comes to performance and noise produced" - http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3778146/noctua-d15-aio-coolers.html

How do I know if memory clearance will be an issue? Will pc part picker tell me this?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Water cooling with an AIO runs very little risk of leaking as well. I've been using an AIO for going on 6 years and I've never had an issue with either one I've ever used.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Noctua makes a modified version of the D15, the D15S, that keeps twin towers (which are tweaked to allow for better DIMM clearance) but drops to a single fan. Efficiency doesn't take a big hit.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The D15s also allows for you to add a second NF-A15 140mm fan if you desire. It comes with the extra mounting hardware in the box.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

There’s also the U14S which isn’t as bulky and a bit cheaper, but is pretty close for cooling efficiency. If cost is a concern, though, I’d consider a 2600X. It’ll auto-overclock with the stock cooler via precision boost overdrive, and AM4 motherboards will be compatible with the next two AMD CPU generations, if they end up being a gaming boost. Between the cooler, CPU, and motherboard, you’d save about $350 in exchange for 5-15% gaming performance under stock 9700K (mostly closer to the 5% unless you’re running very high FPS / low graphics settings with a 2080 Ti).

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Nice tips, guys! Looks like a D15S is probably the right choice.

CRAYON posted:

The D15s also allows for you to add a second NF-A15 140mm fan if you desire. It comes with the extra mounting hardware in the box.

Should I, though? With no overclocking plans, seems like just the D15S should be sufficient?

Stickman posted:

There’s also the U14S which isn’t as bulky and a bit cheaper, but is pretty close for cooling efficiency. If cost is a concern, though, I’d consider a 2600X. It’ll auto-overclock with the stock cooler via precision boost overdrive, and AM4 motherboards will be compatible with the next two AMD CPU generations, if they end up being a gaming boost. Between the cooler, CPU, and motherboard, you’d save about $350 in exchange for 5-15% gaming performance under stock 9700K (mostly closer to the 5% unless you’re running very high FPS / low graphics settings with a 2080 Ti).

Nah, cost isn't really a concern. I'll check out the U14S, though! Thanks!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

oliveoil posted:

Nice tips, guys! Looks like a D15S is probably the right choice.

Should I, though? With no overclocking plans, seems like just the D15S should be sufficient?

The D15s is totally sufficient with a single fan unless your really pushing an overclock. The second fan adds some noise but only drops temperatures by a degree or so.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Stickman posted:

The D15s is totally sufficient with a single fan unless your really pushing an overclock. The second fan adds some noise but only drops temperatures by a degree or so.

That's a relief! Thank you!

Is that still likely to be the case if I go for an i9-9900k? Seems like they both have a Tjunction temp of 100C according to their docs, but I'm not sure that really means they'll both have the same maximum temperature.

quote:

most single GPU systems that come by us can be estimated by the CPU’s TDP (Thermal Design Power) plus the graphic’s card’s TDP (Nvidia) or board power (AMD) plus 50W, then multiply that by 1.2 for your minimum PSU size and by 2.0 for your reasonable upper limit. The TDP and board power can be found by a Google search.

Also, I found this in the OP...

For an i9's TDP + gtx 1080's TDP, we get
95W + 180W + 50W = 325W

Multiplied by 1.2x or 2x, we have:
1.2x: 390W
2.0x: 650W

In the future, I haven't ruled out upgrading to a 2080 (225W for founder edition), or 2080 Ti (260W for founder edition):

rtx 2080:
95W + 225W + 50W = 360W
1.2x: 444W
2.0x: 740W

rtx 2080 Ti:
95W + 260W + 50W = 405W
1.2x: 486W
2.0x: 810W

So to prepare for maybe a 2080 Ti later, seems like I can go ahead and choose a power supply with between 486W and 810W... So going with a 750W power supply unit is fine? Would bumping it up to an 850W model make it more quiet? I saw the OP recommended a Corsair RMx 550W, so I figured a Corsair RMx 750W or 850W would be safe, too.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is there any reason to hold off on getting a 9600k or 9700k right now? Like a refresh with HT on some of them?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

E2M2 posted:

Is there any reason to hold off on getting a 9600k or 9700k right now? Like a refresh with HT on some of them?
None. The fact that the 9900k exists means that will not happen in this generation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If you can wait until late May/early-to-mid June, the Ryzen 3xxx chips plus the x570 chipset will offer you 9900K parity, a potential 12/24 highest end enthusiast chip (and 8/16 high end), and PCIe 4.0 support. That's really the only reason to hold off on going with Intel at the moment.

The only thing Intel's hinted at between now and their ~next gen architecture~ is a potential :kingsley: 10 core :kingsley: 14nm+++ chip.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is there a reason they cut HT from everything but the 9900k?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

E2M2 posted:

Is there a reason they cut HT from everything but the 9900k?

Yeah - to sell more 9900Ks to content creators and ~hardcore gamers~.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

oliveoil posted:

That's a relief! Thank you!

Is that still likely to be the case if I go for an i9-9900k? Seems like they both have a Tjunction temp of 100C according to their docs, but I'm not sure that really means they'll both have the same maximum temperature.

Also, I found this in the OP...

For an i9's TDP + gtx 1080's TDP, we get
95W + 180W + 50W = 325W

Multiplied by 1.2x or 2x, we have:
1.2x: 390W
2.0x: 650W

In the future, I haven't ruled out upgrading to a 2080 (225W for founder edition), or 2080 Ti (260W for founder edition):

rtx 2080:
95W + 225W + 50W = 360W
1.2x: 444W
2.0x: 740W

rtx 2080 Ti:
95W + 260W + 50W = 405W
1.2x: 486W
2.0x: 810W

So to prepare for maybe a 2080 Ti later, seems like I can go ahead and choose a power supply with between 486W and 810W... So going with a 750W power supply unit is fine? Would bumping it up to an 850W model make it more quiet? I saw the OP recommended a Corsair RMx 550W, so I figured a Corsair RMx 750W or 850W would be safe, too.

I have a 9900k and 2080ti both overclocked and my 750w PSU has had no trouble. Also have 5 drives in the system and an AIO cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah - to sell more 9900Ks to content creators and ~hardcore gamers~.

Hey, some of us just have more money than sense.