Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Currently dying of RedCorm family recipe frybread with beans, wild onions and sweet potato stuffed inside.

ETA: posting recipe when I'm somewhere safe to share A Great Family Secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Please do! It sounds amazing.

poverty goat

My greek potroast was excellent as expected

alnilam

did your dog look @ it

ty manifisto

poverty goat

Yes & licked the plate

poverty goat

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
I am separated and my divorce is almost final and these are great things as I am with someone who actually makes me happy and likes my cooking. The fine dining effortpost is that I get to buy new kitchen stuff for my new place. I get my roast pan and Le Creuset pot, but most of the rest of our stuff was old and crap. I plan to buy a Mercer chefs knife and follow the other recommendations of Serious Eats for knives. Any tips from fellow yobbers about cheap kitchen tools and things I shouldn't be without?

poverty goat

Bacon Taco posted:

I am separated and my divorce is almost final and these are great things as I am with someone who actually makes me happy and likes my cooking. The fine dining effortpost is that I get to buy new kitchen stuff for my new place. I get my roast pan and Le Creuset pot, but most of the rest of our stuff was old and crap. I plan to buy a Mercer chefs knife and follow the other recommendations of Serious Eats for knives. Any tips from fellow yobbers about cheap kitchen tools and things I shouldn't be without?

I have hundreds of dollars worth of forged japanese knives and my most used knife by miles is this ten dollar stamped chinese vegetable cleaver https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/vegetable-cleaver/ . They've largely won over the GWS knife thread as well. It seems intimidating but with a little practice it really takes a lot of time and effort out of chopping vegetables, and your fear of cutting your fingers off will reinforce your claw technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip1sAKybSHs

Also, as you get some nice knives, get some cheap stones and learn to sharpen them yourself. This is the oft-neglected other half of a nice chef's knife. Nice knives shouldn't need to be sharpened more than once or twice a year for home use and you should be able to do all the maintenance you need on a 1000 grit stone (though if it doesn't come really sharp from the factory you'll want to start with a coarser stone or just get it professionally sharpened for round 1). King brand stones are good & cheap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYIU1L_8vA

Also, instant pot. instant pot good.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

hamjobs posted:

Currently dying of RedCorm family recipe frybread with beans, wild onions and sweet potato stuffed inside.

ETA: posting recipe when I'm somewhere safe to share A Great Family Secret.

hamjobs was intercepted on her way to deliver the secret

how do I get my bread to split open in the oven like a goddamn chestburster tearing forth

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tonight, I only ate leftover pizza with some chips and salsa, but this 14 year old bottle of cabernet I picked up for 7 bucks at the liquor store is fantastic. It tastes like plums and oak.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FutonForensic

has anyone had luck doing curries in instant pot? I've tried doing chicken vindaloo and tikka masala, but I wasn't happy with the results. maybe I just need a better recipe.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Sorry on frybread. I've been so depressed I've been sleeping and funposting has been low. Back in a few days.

POOL IS CLOSED

hamjobs posted:

Sorry on frybread. I've been so depressed I've been sleeping and funposting has been low. Back in a few days.

:glomp:

I wanted to share some bread pix but they’re too powerful for Imgur I guess. rye sourdough with nuruk and jigemi

poverty goat

this was dinner last night and it was easy and delicious

FutonForensic posted:

has anyone had luck doing curries in instant pot? I've tried doing chicken vindaloo and tikka masala, but I wasn't happy with the results. maybe I just need a better recipe.

These aren't really slow recipes anyway so they aren't going to benefit a whole lot from the instant pot- I'd say make the curry in a pan while your IP cooks the rice. It'll also make short work of anything with dry beans/lentils or pilafs. I got an indian IP cookbook for xmas but haven't really dug into it yet.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 2, 2019

The X-man cometh
These aren't really slow recipes anyway so they aren't going to benefit a whole lot from the instant pot- I'd say make the curry in a pan while your IP cooks the rice. It'll also make short work of anything with dry beans/lentils or pilafs. I got an indian IP cookbook for xmas but haven't really dug into it yet.
[/quote]

My family makes dahl by pressure cooking the lentils/mung/toor with some spices and then cooking it in a pan adding the vaghar (the rest of the spices simmered in oil).

Can you add ingredients partway through an instant pot cycle? I make my dahl in a slow cooker which comes out more liquid, which I like, but isn't authentic.

poverty goat

No, you have to wait for pressure to release. This is the one big drawback of a PC, you can't taste and adjust along the way

Here's the vindaloo from my Instant Pot Authorized Indian cookbook

I lolled at step 1, I think they're trying too hard to avoid getting a pan dirty, but it's also an acknowledgement that the IP's saute mode doesn't really quite get hot. Maybe it works great though. Here's the non-ip vindaloo i mentioned from the 660 curries:

It's not very hot there for a vindaloo so there's room to go hog wild

E: also here's his hardcore pork vindaloo which will burn the hair off your chest

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 2, 2019

FutonForensic

thanks for the recipes. i have some cashews in the house, so i think i'm going to first try some chicken mughlai

POOL IS CLOSED

sourdough. this is the whole wheat, rye, and nuruk starter. the added flour was 25% rye and 75% white bread flour, with the special addition of makgeolli lees (saccharified and mostly brewed up glutinous rice). the taste is great, but despite the interior temp exceeding 200 F, it’s a bit more moist than I prefer. the dough was pretty difficult to work with despite not having a whole lot of added moisture. the lees were a pressed solid, basically sake kasu, not sludgy. I think it really needed some more kneading despite my efforts. and maybe a little more rising time??

poverty goat

What's your hydration? What does the crumb look like? Open or dense? I can't tell from the pic whether it rose or pancaked. Let's see a cross section!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

and maybe a little more rising time??

Think about rising in terms of volume, not time. Don't do anything just because a timer tells you to. How much did it actually rise?

Bargearse

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Tonight, I only ate leftover pizza with some chips and salsa, but this 14 year old bottle of cabernet I picked up for 7 bucks at the liquor store is fantastic. It tastes like plums and oak.

It's always nice when you find a really nice wine for cheap

POOL IS CLOSED

I’m having a weirdly hard time posting pix on awful app but that’s what I’m stuck with atm

overall the crumb was fairly dense and tender, tending towards cake-iness in the center. there were some small bubbles like this around the outside. the bread definitely didn’t pancake but did get much less oven spring than I anticipated. i let it rise past doubling and also punched it down and folded twice during the rise.

my starter is 50% water by weight and the recipe, not counting the starter or lees, is also about 50%. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/extra-tangy-sourdough-bread-recipe and 25% of the white flour was replaced with rye, which hasn’t caused me to have super slack dough previously so I’m thinking that’s the lees.

alnilam

I've been baking beautiful loaf children and they are impossible to photograph well so you'll have to take my word 4or it tia

alnilam

PIC i wish you the best i am extremely a one trick pony on the sdough breb but i do the trick well so i can't give good advice on most things

POOL IS CLOSED

alnilam posted:

I've been baking beautiful loaf children and they are impossible to photograph well so you'll have to take my word 4or it tia

I post my bad pix without shame and so should u

show me some bredd

poverty goat

alnilam posted:

You really just have to approach it like a facebook selfie. Lighting, angles and misdirection

This loaf landed on its side in the dutch oven and is ugly as hell

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I’m having a weirdly hard time posting pix on awful app but that’s what I’m stuck with atm

overall the crumb was fairly dense and tender, tending towards cake-iness in the center. there were some small bubbles like this around the outside. the bread definitely didn’t pancake but did get much less oven spring than I anticipated. i let it rise past doubling and also punched it down and folded twice during the rise.

my starter is 50% water by weight and the recipe, not counting the starter or lees, is also about 50%. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/extra-tangy-sourdough-bread-recipe and 25% of the white flour was replaced with rye, which hasn’t caused me to have super slack dough previously so I’m thinking that’s the lees.
Generally when you talk about hydration you should think about it as the ratio of water to flour. So if your starter is equal proportions wet and dry, aka 120.5g water/120.5g flour, it's 100% hydration, and for the final dough:

quote:

241g ripe (fed) sourdough starter
340g lukewarm water
602g King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
,,,the hydration is going to be:
code:
340g water + 120g from starter
------------------------------ = 63.8% hydration
602g flour + 120g from starter
Not that this answers your questions but it'll come in handy someday if you keep making bread.

As for your bread, more kneading is only going to make the crumb tighter, and if it's not pancaking it's probably not a lack of tension either (or maybe not, I'm used to a bit higher hydration where this is more pronounced). I don't know much about the lees, but at the very least you should consider its effect on hydration, and if it's grainy you should probably soak it first so it doesn't suck all the moisture out of the dough around it when mixed

I'm going to suggest:
1.) try actually kneading and punching a bit less aggressively, which should produce a more open/less cakey crumb
2.) try proofing (step 6) in a bowl lined with a very-well-floured tea towel instead of flat on the baking sheet to maintain the shape a little better.
3.) Soak the lees or otherwise make sure you're adjusting the hydration

It probably won't solve all your problems but it also never hurts to autolyse, which is when you mix only your water and flour (no salt, starter or yeast, yet) as a separate step and let it hang out for 30-40 minutes (up to an hour or two for mostly whole wheat) before continuing. This gives enzymes in the flour time to do things that ultimately lead to better gluten development etc., which are inhibited by the salt, starter, and potentially the lees

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 4, 2019

POOL IS CLOSED

thanks! it’s not a bad loaf, but it could’ve been better, and i really want the next one to get there.

I didn’t consider that I could’ve over kneaded given how flabby the dough felt. the final rise was in a round boule, because I like them spiraly marks. the lees were very tender (that rice was steamed and then fermented), but it almost definitely had a weird effect on the hydration level. will also try a proper autolyse next loaf!

i hope to report back with satisfactory bread lewds later this week. in the mean time,

tepache de piña at long last. this bad boy *slaps hermetic lid* has half a pineapple, about a cup total of palm sugar and brown sugar, some Chinese cinnamon, Ceylon cinnamon, couple cloves, some allspice berries, black peppercorns, and coriander seeds in there. in a day or so it should be ready to 🍹

super sweet best pal

Chopped up and sauteed some onions, then dumped them in a pot of milk with potatoes, red peppers, celery, carrots, peas, corn, crab, garlic, tomato soup and spices from a blend. Brought it to a boil and then let it simmer on low for an hour. Added some "Parmesan style" powdered cheese and it was perfect. I realize now I should've added some fake bacon bits but I think I'm out of those.

poverty goat posted:

Also, instant pot. instant pot good.

It sure is. I didn't use it for tonight's soup because I was making too much for it to handle. Got enough for the next few days. I usually use it for risotto or steaming frozen dumplings.

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bargearse posted:

It's always nice when you find a really nice wine for cheap

It seriously made my weekend. I usually drink cheap wine way too fast, but I drank on this bottle for three days before killing it because it was so savor-worthy. I'm still riding on that satisfaction trip.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

POOL IS CLOSED

the Korean food thread is dead so I’ve been terrorizing Discord with Three Pig Drink. who wants to learn about unnecessarily complicated rice hooch & save other nerds from pictures of mush?!

like this rice flour I milled in an extremely stupid fashion!!!

alnilam

Stupid milling is my favorite kind

POOL IS CLOSED

my process was washing 2 kg short grain rice in water until it ran clear, then soaking it six hours in tap water, draining in sieves for an hour, spreading over layered towels for about two hours until the surfaces of the grains were dry enough not to stick to my hands much, then in a bad blender, pulsing a cup at a time 3 seconds on and off until the grains were nubs, followed by a longer blitz, then passing the results through a flour sifter... repeat

me and the rice flour are married now

Manifisto

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

my process was washing 2 kg short grain rice in water until it ran clear, then soaking it six hours in tap water, draining in sieves for an hour, spreading over layered towels for about two hours until the surfaces of the grains were dry enough not to stick to my hands much, then in a bad blender, pulsing a cup at a time 3 seconds on and off until the grains were nubs, followed by a longer blitz, then passing the results through a flour sifter... repeat

me and the rice flour are married now

I hope you waited until marriage to anthropomorphize, as god intended

ty nesamdoom!

POOL IS CLOSED

Manifisto posted:

I hope you waited until marriage to anthropomorphize, as god intended

who said anything about anthro. no cute waifus. only sentient rice flour here, as the Holy Book commands

I’m making Sam Hea Ju, “Three Pig Liquor,” a traditional Korean makgeolli that has three fermentation stages. unlike the usual triple ferment where each stage only lasts 3-5 days, each stage of the Pig is 12 days, and you start it on the first pig day of the lunar new year. the second and third additions of rice are appropriately timed for the next two pig days.

yesterday I got the primary fermentation started after much ado with grinding and mixing. today, the germs in the nuruk have begun producing amylase, which is converting rice starch into sugar. it’s a miracle of microbiology!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

who said anything about anthro. no cute waifus. only sentient rice flour here, as the Holy Book commands

I’m making Sam Hea Ju, “Three Pig Liquor,” a traditional Korean makgeolli that has three fermentation stages. unlike the usual triple ferment where each stage only lasts 3-5 days, each stage of the Pig is 12 days, and you start it on the first pig day of the lunar new year. the second and third additions of rice are appropriately timed for the next two pig days.

yesterday I got the primary fermentation started after much ado with grinding and mixing. today, the germs in the nuruk have begun producing amylase, which is converting rice starch into sugar. it’s a miracle of microbiology!

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: i can't wait until it's ready; three piggy is delicious. how are your hands after all the flour mooshing?

POOL IS CLOSED

the blender saved me tbh. if I’d had to do it with a mortar and pestle the arthritic revenge de buff would’ve been fierce.

awful app is up to something again so no pix today.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i started another nukadoko!!!! it is just like a regular nukadoko and it's dark in my house (because it's dark outside and i guess i'm allergic to turning on lights or something), so i haven't taken pictures yet. i am ready to put some pickled gd radish and turnip in my FACE.

frybread recipe from my family (the redcorns and harjos) because my dad is a king of bread:

a lot of lard. just a fuckload of lard. if you do not use lard or animals products, any high-temp frying oil will work, but there is a definite preference for either peanut or grapeseed because super high temps + delicious taste.

4 cups of plain (all-purpose, not self-raising) flour
2 cups of buttermilk or soured "heavy milk" (it's just fresh fresh whole milk, not skimmed, with a bit of vinegar to sour it)
2 teaspoons of aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt, depending on how salty you want the bread

sift your flour four times. i don't know why it's important that it's four but my dad said it's important, and all my aunties agreed. do not cross the aunties, they are terrifying.

sift a fifth time with the salt and baking powder into your mixing bowl, making a well in the center as for making pasta, and pour in your buttermilk. you will have to do this by hand--incorporate the buttermilk until a soft dough forms, then knead a bit in the bowl until it stiffens. throw it out onto a floured board or counter, knead a bit more, and roll it into a rectangle about a half inch thick. it's important that it's not too thin and not too thick--the bread will puff as it cooks, and that's important for both texture and interior doneness.

cut it into squares--i like anywhere from 3 to 5" squares, but 4 is the standard, cut a tiny slit in the middle, and fry in very very very hot fat (about 450F) until it is medium-dark brown--just past golden. you'll have to flip it once, AND NO MORE, so be careful. this is actually best done in a large boilin kettle or cauldron or gently caress, even a turkey fryer, but outside is the preference because of the fat that you will likely burn the gently caress out of yourself at least twice in this process.

drain well on kitchen towels--honestly we have "frying towels," they're just reedcloth or linen or cotton towels that we use to drain frybread, because you can wash or boil the grease off and paper towels are expensive back home. serve either sweet, with possum grape jelly or honey, or my favorite, as an "ndn taco," with beans and greens and lots of hot sauce and sometimes cheese and salsa and black olives and lettuce and definitely, always, onions. always with the onions. if you do not put onions on it my aunties will probably come look at you all disappointed and do the aunties-sucking-their-teeth thing.

anyway that's the family heirloom. it's just frybread, but the secret is using the best poo poo you can get because otherwise my people would've starved to death because they were given wheat instead of our normal foods.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

also dad says this is important so i'm adding it here:

the buttermilk should always, if you can get it, be the best buttermilk you can get. if you make butter, you should save the whey up and let it get a little sour, then make the frybread. otherwise, the strongest, not-artificially-thickened, sourest buttermilk you can buy or barter for will work. in a pinch, fat-milk will work especially if it's raw, and then allowed to sour naturally or cultured or soured with vinegar will work too.

people freak out a lot about using naturally soured milk, but it's literally called for in tons of recipes up until the 80s because food safety was :shrug: and also we didn't have basic human rights or the ability to buy foods in stores most places until relatively recently. so we used what we had.

POOL IS CLOSED

my rural grandma has a bunch of weird food safety rules she internalized from being in the generation that went from riding horses to the schoolhouse to building digital health records

I learned from her about candling eggs, always breaking eggs into an empty dish to be sure they were still good, cooking the poo poo out of all meat, religiously obeying rules for canning

but also keeping leftovers in covered casseroles on the counter and boiling them once a day to keep them from going off, and to keep a tin of rendered bacon grease by the stove

I should ask her how they did with milk when she was young

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I still do most of those weird rural food safety things. And I still eat beans off the vine even though I know it's bad, and raw slices of sweet potato as we're cutting then to dry. I have accepted I'll probably die of egg borne hhhhhh meatchlamydia or something, but it's worked so far so maybe it's okay? Ehhh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also we always put milk in the icebox which was literally an ice box, like one from the thirties, until the year we got the gas fridge from my aunt. I think I was four or so.