Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LionArcher posted:

It’s fun watching a lot of you being inherently racist against Harris (holding her to a standard that Bernie fails at) but not shocking considering she’s an articulate measured black woman who’s actually done something in the last 25 years. Her speech today was straight :discourse:. Yes, she has issues that have been brought up, but it’s one or two things that are going to be addressed considering all the trolls are already hammering her with it. Online on twitter im seeing a lot of women, and men fired up because of today. It’s also going to be fun watching this thread melt down over it if she wins the nomination :allears:

Bitch she talks about how she's big on fixing the cops and yet as the attorney general she enabled them

gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Kamala Harris is probably a garbage cop BUT a huge chunk of the opposition to her is gonna be driven by racism and sexism and that's just gonna be a thing

Yeah but just asserting that as a given when people are discussing the things she said and how they line up with her record is lovely

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Kamala Harris is probably a garbage cop BUT a huge chunk of the opposition to her is gonna be driven by racism and sexism and that's just gonna be a thing

I dunno; I'm mainly seeing Withers pump her and black twitter correctly pointing out her heinous record at this point.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Every election cycle is gonna have your LionArchers, those that care about checking the ID boxes above all else.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I think this is a pretty fair take on Harris’s law enforcement record that tries to look at it from all sides

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/1/23/18184192/kamala-harris-president-campaign-criminal-justice-record

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's p. weird to assume black people don't have political agency based on policy and will instead vote for another black person reflexively.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

I think this is a pretty fair take on Harris’s law enforcement record that tries to look at it from all sides

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/1/23/18184192/kamala-harris-president-campaign-criminal-justice-record

Nah; it's just the standard succ-dem tropes of SHE WAS CARRYING OUT HER VOTERS' WISHES and SHE HAD TO PROVE HER HARSHNESS BONA-FIDES BC SHE'S BLACK.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Nah; it's just the standard succ-dem tropes of SHE WAS CARRYING OUT HER VOTERS' WISHES and SHE HAD TO PROVE HER HARSHNESS BONA-FIDES BC SHE'S BLACK.

I don’t think that really reflects the article. There are quite a few instances where it looks at the Harris defense, and then says, in effect “even if true, she could have done more”.

Like this

quote:

Harris’s supporters argue that Harris likely wasn’t closely involved in these cases because Justice Department policy didn’t require state lawyers to seek approval from the attorney general. As Harris said at a campaign event, “There are cases … where there were folks that made a decision in my office and they had not consulted me, and I wish they had.” But Harris could have changed department policy and become more hands-on in pushing reform, if she was willing to risk a potential backlash from the people under her.

And I would say that article has even more power to influence because it does take a genuine stab at looking at things from Harris’s perspective, before being critical.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Majorian posted:

Are you going to tell me how I was lying when I said...

I would disagree with “every” but a lot of them, yes. I don’t think that’s a lie.

The lie was that her speech was “I’m a cop, I’m a cop!” which was total BS, and only someone not just expecting but WANTING to see that would summarize it that way. It was standard center-left poo poo, and if anything she was avoiding getting into the details of her coppery - she knows it’s a liability in the primary.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

The lie was that her speech was “I’m a cop, I’m a cop!”

I didn't say her speech was "I'm a cop, I'm a cop."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

LionArcher posted:

It’s fun watching a lot of you being inherently racist against Harris (holding her to a standard that Bernie fails at) but not shocking considering she’s an articulate measured black woman who’s actually done something in the last 25 years.

you're all being inherently racist to harris, who talks ~much~ more like a real person than LionArcher expects a black woman to

that there sure is a sentence, man

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
If these emotions and arguments are what the Dem primary is going to drudge up, which I have a hard time seeing coalesce hard enough behind a single candidate, I'm looking forward to President Trump in 2020.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

LionArcher posted:

It’s fun watching a lot of you being inherently racist against Harris (holding her to a standard that Bernie fails at) but not shocking considering she’s an articulate measured black woman who’s actually done something in the last 25 years. Her speech today was straight :discourse:. Yes, she has issues that have been brought up, but it’s one or two things that are going to be addressed considering all the trolls are already hammering her with it. Online on twitter im seeing a lot of women, and men fired up because of today. It’s also going to be fun watching this thread melt down over it if she wins the nomination :allears:

I'm not going to attack you, but I would like discuss Harris. I assume so far she's your number one pick, yes?

I'm curious about your opinion on what you think a Harris presidency would look like. What policy will she fight for and enact? How will she behave to Venezuela, Israel, and any hot spots that pop up? How will she deal with Wall Street, and banks, debt? Will her administration be different from Obama's in goals and direction?

I really would be interested in hearing your thoughts on that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you're all being inherently racist to harris, who talks ~much~ more like a real person than LionArcher expects a black woman to

that there sure is a sentence, man

I think the 'who has actually done something' is the icing on the cake.

I'm not nearly as anti Harris as some here, but let's be honest and admit that her instinct is to be as close to the center as she can get. She may not be a complete Hillary clone, but she tries to angle herself in the same way, and it is worrying were she to pull out the nomination.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Brony Car posted:

If these emotions and arguments are what the Dem primary is going to drudge up, which I have a hard time seeing coalesce hard enough behind a single candidate, I'm looking forward to President Trump in 2020.

God willing we are not representative of the whole.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Majorian posted:

Ah geez, must’ve been someone adjacent to you. Sorry about that.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Brony Car posted:

If the democrats nominate another right winger that's what'll happen regardless.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

Ah geez, must’ve been someone adjacent to you. Sorry about that.

That was Raskolnikov38.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
its fine, the Obama Boys have always all looked the same to hillaryfolk

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Willa Rogers posted:

It's p. weird to assume black people don't have political agency based on policy and will instead vote for another black person reflexively.

For me at least, it’s not this, it’s more that in all of my experience, both online and off, it feels like the primary battle lines were drawn in 2016 and haven’t moved since. The people I know who backed Hillary are backing Harris and vehemently anti-Bernie; the people I know who backed Bernie are, by and large, backing him again and vehemently anti-everyone-else. I’m just not seeing anything that really shows that the core split of Bernie-vs-Establishment has changed (if anything, it feels like the lines have solidified).

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Majorian posted:

I didn't say that either, but I will now.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Also, she's a cop.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Z. Autobahn posted:

For me at least, it’s not this, it’s more that in all of my experience, both online and off, it feels like the primary battle lines were drawn in 2016 and haven’t moved since. The people I know who backed Hillary are backing Harris and vehemently anti-Bernie; the people I know who backed Bernie are, by and large, backing him again and vehemently anti-everyone-else. I’m just not seeing anything that really shows that the core split of Bernie-vs-Establishment has changed (if anything, it feels like the lines have solidified).

Agreed. And everyone is pretending to be engaging in good faith efforts to engage the other faction, but in reality they are just shouting at each other and scoffing at the idea of a middle ground.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hot drat, I knew for a while there were a shitload of white people who assume they can speak for black people and in the process frequently out themselves as being incredibly racist, but this is really bringing them out of the woodwork.

That's what happens when you've been letting the conservatives define the discourse for so long, maybe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brony Car posted:

Agreed. And everyone is pretending to be engaging in good faith efforts to engage the other faction, but in reality they are just shouting at each other and scoffing at the idea of a middle ground.

You could say... both sides are bad, the truth is in the middle?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Z. Autobahn posted:

I guess the argument of hope I'd give is that throughout the last 2 years we've seemed to have the same deal but it doesn't seem to matter come Election Day. Like I look at a player like Beto O'Rourke who is now ripped to shreds by the leftists but when he was running against Ted Cruz the support seemed to be there. For the most part I think people seem to be recognizing the mutual enemy of the Republican party at the point that it matters most. Hopefully once the primaries actually happen and reality begins to shape we see that more or less come together.

More people saying "If Bernie isn't the candidate its best we have 4 more years of Trump" or "I will never vote Bernie under any circumstance" is bad. But hopefully they're either the vocal fringe or they're venting and will come around by November 2020. That seems to me like its been the pattern these last 100 2 years post Trump.

But I might be deluding myself.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
a bad candidate will cause people who aren't politically engaged to stay home, and a heavily contested primary will weaken even the best candidate by putting their flaws on stark display.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You could say... both sides are bad, the truth is in the middle?

I don't know. I basically have no idea how this primary is going to unfold, but I suspect a lot of people are going to ragequit instead of making the best of what real voters actually want and pressing on from there. I can see annoying suburban voters staying home over Bernie due to the baggage and I can see the Sanders-lovers staying home over Kamala and viewing any win, no matter how narrow, as another rigging.

I just want to move in the right direction and have a person who doesn't just sling big ideas around. We need execution and constant efforts to get better. I basically want LBJ with an actual soul and I know that's not happening.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

More people saying "If Bernie isn't the candidate its best we have 4 more years of Trump"

i don't think anyone is actually saying that

Cease to Hope posted:

and a heavily contested primary will weaken even the best candidate by putting their flaws on stark display.

didn't hurt obama

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Brony Car posted:

I don't know. I basically have no idea how this primary is going to unfold, but I suspect a lot of people are going to ragequit instead of making the best of what real voters actually want and pressing on from there. I can see annoying suburban voters staying home over Bernie due to the baggage and I can see the Sanders-lovers staying home over Kamala and viewing any win, no matter how narrow, as another rigging.

I just want to move in the right direction and have a person who doesn't just sling big ideas around. We need execution and constant efforts to get better. I basically want LBJ with an actual soul and I know that's not happening.

All of this sounds like vapid nonsense. What actual policies do you want to see implemented and which candidate best represents that.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

I was responding in that post to the troll guy, not you.

As I've said, I think it's fairly likely Harris will win the nomination (bc lol succ dems) and I think Bernie will have a tough row to hoe, not in the least because of Withers. But just because she's one of two PoC to have announced to date I don't think it's fair to (a) assume black voters won't examine her political history (they're doing a better job of it than white women stanning for Harris uncritically, from what I've seen) or (b) assume that the anti-Sanders vote will all aggregate to Harris, especially given Warren's party standing. (As I've said, Warren's prolly the one candidate I could see uniting both factions.)

In other words, it feels like you're making the assumption that the entire anti-Bernie crowd will coalesce behind Harris and I'm just not seeing that at this point in the race.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

Like I look at a player like Beto O'Rourke who is now ripped to shreds by the leftists but when he was running against Ted Cruz the support seemed to be there.

How many of the people ripping O'Rourke right now for lacking leftist credibility are from Texas, though? I think Beto was viewed as a major sign of progress from a Texan frame of reference, but the minute anyone tried to push the idea of him running for national office, it changed the judgment criteria (and it rightfully should).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Muppets On PCP posted:

didn't hurt obama

There's definitely been discussion of how if a lovely Dem wins it just paves the way for someone worse in 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't want to fight over it, but at least one guy totally did today in great length before all the Harris stuff.

I'm not saying he's the norm. Matter of fact I was actively arguing that I don't think he is.

Brony Car posted:

How many of the people ripping O'Rourke right now for lacking leftist credibility are from Texas, though? I think Beto was viewed as a major sign of progress from a Texan frame of reference, but the minute anyone tried to push the idea of him running for national office, it changed the judgment criteria (and it rightfully should).

And that's my hope. People have legitimate problems with O'Rourke that they're expressing. But in the reality of "Beto or Cruz?" people seemed to recognize that he was the right option. My hope is that whatever concerns one might have with Bernie or Harris or whoever when its "X or Trump?" we find some sort of mutual ground.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 28, 2019

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

mila kunis posted:

All of this sounds like vapid nonsense. What actual policies do you want to see implemented and which candidate best represents that.

Thank you. I love you too.

I like a lot of what Warren has been proposing. The DNA video announcement makes me fear that she's a horrific campaigner and I wish she had more natural speaking charisma. (If you ignore ideological preferences, I think she comes across a lot like Hillary Clinton did and I think that's a non-starter.) I'm probably going to end up voting for Sanders if he makes it official because I can see him doing the necessary barnstorming and inspiration and at least his baggage come from one consistent political direction.

I was told I was a big lefty growing up by the people in my southern hometown but you guys definitely give a different perspective.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The animosity would be significantly lessened if there wasn't this continuous need to disingenuously pretend that policy differences don't exist.

Harris, outside of her M4A support, is a pretty standard centrist democrat, from her unabashed support of Israel and status quo on foreign policy, to her centering tax cuts as the key policy addressing inequality, to her comfortable position with wall street. The poo poo starts when people start going "actually shes just as left as Bernie, so you must be racist and sexist to not vote for her"

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

to be fair, plenty of people have said that, including, like, 2 pages ago itt. I'm not saying it's the majority view, but "Bernie or Bust" is definitely a not-uncommon position.

Willa Rogers posted:

I was responding in that post to the troll guy, not you.

As I've said, I think it's fairly likely Harris will win the nomination (bc lol succ dems) and I think Bernie will have a tough row to hoe, not in the least because of Withers. But just because she's one of two PoC to have announced to date I don't think it's fair to (a) assume black voters won't examine her political history (they're doing a better job of it than white women stanning for Harris uncritically, from what I've seen) or (b) assume that the anti-Sanders vote will all aggregate to Harris, especially given Warren's party standing. (As I've said, Warren's prolly the one candidate I could see uniting both factions.)

In other words, it feels like you're making the assumption that the entire anti-Bernie crowd will coalesce behind Harris and I'm just not seeing that at this point in the race.

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of this; Harris is the candidate I've seen getting the most traction, but it could go a lot of different ways. My bigger thing is the certainty that her lovely cop record will doom her feels a lot like a reprise of the "Hillary said super-predators, she's doomed in the South!" vibe of 2016. I'm definitely seeing a lot of folks online criticizing Harris, but at least from what I'm seeing, they're all leftist activists who were already on the Bern train; what I'm not seeing is her being particularly criticized by Hillary people, which is the significant demographic she's targeting. I'll believe her record matters electorally when I see centrists critiquing it; until then, it just feels like it's limited to the people who were already not going to vote for her.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Brony Car posted:

The only candidate who I can see generating actual enthusiasm across the left and center left after they win the nomination, with minimal sniping, is Warren.

Just saying ;)

On the other hand, I think the center left would stop their sniping if Bernie won the nom, and he would generate more enthusiasm from the left, and get out more voters who usually don’t vote. So if we’re looking at voter turnout, I would say Bernie generates the most, followed by Warren.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Yinlock posted:

Hillary fans are very much not who the democrats need right now
that doesn't mean there aren't shitloads of them who are vocal and still feel deeply aggrieved about 2016. im also guessing they vote way more consistently than berniecrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

There's definitely been discussion of how if a lovely Dem wins it just paves the way for someone worse in 2024

while that's undoubtedly true, it's not quite the same thing as saying it'd be better if trump won in the absence of a sanders nomination