Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Waffle House posted:

Posting from outside my bmw. The lock tumbler has failed, please send coat hangers

What's up fellow Can't Get Inside my BMW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Automotive Insanity > BMW Thread: Please send coat hangers

A+ username/post combo

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Popete posted:

What's up fellow Can't Get Inside my BMW?

How is it going my fellow sporting automobile enthusiast

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Automotive Insanity > BMW Thread: Please send coat hangers

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

So can you not coat hanger these open I guess?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BMW advises drivers to carry the window breaker tool on their person at all times.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I wonder if my friend still has that spare Yukon kicking around at his lake property

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

How do you fail the central lock and the lock tumbler??? Also what about passenger side door?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Combat Theory posted:

How do you fail the central lock and the lock tumbler??? Also what about passenger side door?

There is no lock on the passenger-side door on this e46 convertible! If you have a technique for depressing the lock button with a coat hanger?

E: awesome, professionals got it. Thank god, let’s go home now!

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 22, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just unlock it on your phone app!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Waffle House posted:

There is no lock on the passenger-side door on this e46 convertible! If you have a technique for depressing the lock button with a coat hanger?

E: awesome, professionals got it. Thank god, let’s go home now!

Just cut a hole in the roof

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Anyone near Columbus Ohio want to look at this for me?

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=894&acctid=10337

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
GRM did a little buyers guide writeup on the E90 M3
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/buyers-guide-e90-and-e92-bmw-m3-2008-12/

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I thought that said “goydeals” and I was really confused.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

It's missing 46 E's

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

This is pretty bad, our resident e90m3 evangelists are better than that article

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

As someone who spend time in LA for college in the mid-90s where this view would have just been a sea of smog, this photo brings loving tears to my eyes.
CARB regulations aren't just for angry thought pieces on Civic forums. The view has gotten so much better in the last 10 years.

BraveUlysses posted:

This is pretty bad, our resident e90m3 evangelists are better than that article
Mine confuse people too much, "cold weather + high octane gas + twisty road + other like-minded enthusiasts out for a drive too = fun" was too hard to parse.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
idk I think the guys from Turner/Vorshlag and UUC might have some pretty good insight on the e9X cars.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lol uuc guys selling short shifters and bushings wow who could see that happening

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Vindication for what I have been saying forever.

And of course the various "experts" are schlepping their parts from their catalog. That is what they are experts in, so they are pointing out specifically what they have found to enhance the platform which I am totally okay with. I have mentioned my sentiments before about the DCT, but the DCT is very good.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Has anybody in here changed their manual transmission from a dual mass flywheel to a conventional flywheel assembly? If so, any complaints or duty issues with the conversion kit? Clutch on the Mini is pretty much non-existent at this point and I'm going to either stay dual mass or go with a Valeo conversion kit. I'm leaning towards the conversion kit for simplicity (and cost), but not sure if that's the right way to go or not since HP is obviously not a concern since it makes < 200 horse.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I converted from a dual mass to a lightweight fly wheel and it chatters like crazy in neutral. If the trans ever comes out again I will change it to one that doesn't #)$(#$* chatter all the time. I assume that a "single mass conversion flywheel" won't do this. In brief, don't get a lightweight flywheel unless you want all the chatter all the time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whats the best sites to monitor for e90m3s for sale? i've been checking m3post, bmwcca classifieds, carmax (lol) and autotrader with mixed results but i am not in a rush at all and can wait for the perfect red or blue sedan 6mt of my dreams.

and craigslist

edit: oh man

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2013-bmw-m3-coupe-kompetition/6803986452.html

i think i'd prefer a sedan but drat i'm so serious about getting a blue e9x

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 26, 2019

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I’m going to go look at an e30 tomorrow and I feel like a goddamn kid on Christmas Eve

E: somehow my wife is onboard despite me already having 2 e36s. I picked the right one.

User Error fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 26, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

User Error posted:

I’m going to go look at an e30 tomorrow and I feel like a goddamn kid on Christmas Eve

E: somehow my wife is onboard despite me already having 2 e36s. I picked the right one.

Look at mister rich guy over here

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

Look at mister rich guy over here

Doesn’t he need that many so that he has at least one functional vehicle at all times?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Ultimate Mango posted:

Doesn’t he need that many so that he has at least one functional vehicle at all times?

From my experience, yes. The E30 is the reliable one :getin:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Suck it poors

actually suck it me, I way overpaid for how much work this thing needs. I'll just keep telling myself that I always wanted to learn to weld sheet metal and that it's value is appreciating anyways.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Deets

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
'90 325i, 5 speed, 164k on broken odometer (supposedly has 180k but who knows). Rust by rear tow hook, passenger side rear wheel arch, and driver floor/jack point. Pretty similar to, but not as extensive as this one: https://jalopnik.com/how-i-saved-my-project-bmw-e30-from-rust-oblivion-by-le-1829478821

However the top side is in great shape, the engine runs and sounds great, and it came with Bilsteins and some type of after market springs.

Paid 3700

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

It's cute

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

User Error posted:

'90 325i, 5 speed, 164k on broken odometer (supposedly has 180k but who knows). Rust by rear tow hook, passenger side rear wheel arch, and driver floor/jack point. Pretty similar to, but not as extensive as this one: https://jalopnik.com/how-i-saved-my-project-bmw-e30-from-rust-oblivion-by-le-1829478821

However the top side is in great shape, the engine runs and sounds great, and it came with Bilsteins and some type of after market springs.

Paid 3700

Fixing the odo is easy - just buy new gears and pull the cluster.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

Fixing the odo is easy - just buy new gears and pull the cluster.

Ya, gonna do that this week. I'm real smart buying a rolling project with a 9 week old baby at home. So much free time to work on stuff.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
When I bought my first E30 it was only 11 years old and I considered it an “old car”. Now, in my 30s, I often forget the newest E30s are still almost 30 years old themselves.

By the time I have the space and time to buy another I’m going to end up spending 30k on an ETA.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

So we went and had a look at a bunch of cars across a number of brands yesterday. The M2 ended up being one of the few that did not feel like it was actively trying to crush me, and also seemed to offer a surprising amount of space given the compact overall size.

Is there anything obviously wrong with it that would make it a bad idea?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

morothar posted:

So we went and had a look at a bunch of cars across a number of brands yesterday. The M2 ended up being one of the few that did not feel like it was actively trying to crush me, and also seemed to offer a surprising amount of space given the compact overall size.

No it rules

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

morothar posted:

If it helps. I love my m2. Had it for a few months now.... Just drove it today and had a smile the whole time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Dadliest Worrier posted:

I’m pretty sure that Bluetooth audio comes with all US spec F30s. Check to see if the premium package includes the heads up display. The HUD makes a huge difference in day-to-day driving, especially with nav.

Ended up finding a 2016 with most of the packages and a heads up display that had a price drop at 1 am the morning I was heading to the dealership. I wasn't convinced about the HUD until I got it set up properly and figured out how the navigation system works. Holy poo poo, this is magic. It's definitely not easier to use than Android Auto, but the turn by turn is amazing.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This was interesting considering the M340 is heavier and is down about 20 HP and about 40 lbs-ft of torque. It seems to indicate that the next M3/M4 will be beasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqHCbqM0bBg

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

morothar posted:

The only real flaw is it's missing a NA V8, but otherwise it's a pretty cool car. Buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Uthor posted:

Ended up finding a 2016 with most of the packages and a heads up display that had a price drop at 1 am the morning I was heading to the dealership. I wasn't convinced about the HUD until I got it set up properly and figured out how the navigation system works. Holy poo poo, this is magic. It's definitely not easier to use than Android Auto, but the turn by turn is amazing.

Nice! What color is the car?