Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

dsf posted:

This was pretty close to my experience too. Slavery is actually a pretty great way to start out once you know your way around the game a bit. By the time I ended up making my escape I had 2 characters with 70+ stealth, 50-60 lockpick, decent athletics and strength, and about 30 toughness from going out of my way to get my rear end kicked by the slavers whenever my injuries healed. When I finally decided to run for it I freed every slave I could to try to cause as much chaos as possible to cover the break out. It was a really nice surprise when 2 badass shek with 25-30 in all their combat stats ended up making it out with me and joining my squad.

What did you do for food when you were a slave? I booked it out of there the first night since my guys were on the verge of starving and it didn't seem like they were going to feed the slaves at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

What did you do for food when you were a slave? I booked it out of there the first night since my guys were on the verge of starving and it didn't seem like they were going to feed the slaves at any point.

Run into the guard houses and snap poo poo off of tables and stuff your face before they catch you

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

IIRC, there is a lower limit your hunger meter can reach while an slave (135?). Just steal food the night you plan to run away.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

steal everything. the guards never search your inventory and you'll be running around building up strength and athletics all day long too. then do food crimes at night.

it's a little gamey, but you can also stealth knock-out your fellow inmates pretty easily if you want.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

IIRC, there is a lower limit your hunger meter can reach while an slave (135?). Just steal food the night you plan to run away.

yeah this, when your a slave / prisoner your hunger wont go below a certain level

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone tried being enslaved by the Reavers? They seem to have a bit of an unique view on slavery.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat you can power level the hell out of stealth as a slave by entering sneak mode while you're in the cage for the night. Also do you do the Naruto run when you have so much stealth leveled up?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yes, but only while sneaking.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh my god.

I jumped a handful of guards in rebirth and ko'd them, then tossed them into the cages. And now they're prisoners. Holy poo poo.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I made a base in the beak thing land all the way to the east near eyesocket and with nests turned up to 4x and it is literally non-stop huge beakthing attacks and every attempted raid just gets wrecked by beakthings. On the plus side, all of my guys are up to 70+ toughness.

It's like the foglands except with beakthings

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I made a base in the beak thing land all the way to the east near eyesocket and with nests turned up to 4x and it is literally non-stop huge beakthing attacks and every attempted raid just gets wrecked by beakthings. On the plus side, all of my guys are up to 70+ toughness.

It's like the foglands except with beakthings

What do you do if the beakthings break through and actually start eating people?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I tried the same thing in Vain and basically speaking, they just don't. By and large, they have been ignoring my base completely.

I couldn't tell you what I did differently, but I think it may just be as minor as putting the gate on the side facing away from their travel routes.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Holy hell, having a character with high sneak and some stealth gear is insane. I decided to send one character out to stealth around and explore, figuring at the worst I can still buy some blueprints for better gear or something and as it turns out having 100 sneak means you can pull some utterly stupid poo poo. I actually looted several towers with robot spiders in them by getting somewhat lucky and just blazing past them before they realise my character is there, and even when the pathfinding between towns and stuff decides to have her run into a giant group of skin spiders they won't notice her as she literally pushes them to the side to get past. This is some Skyrim level sneaking poo poo and I love it.

Also I found Burn's this way and turns out that one weird trick holy nation guys don't want you to know about is to pick up a skeleton you wanna get through their territory with a stealthy character and just haul their rear end through it. Somehow carrying a robot on your shoulder is still more sneaky than having said robot try and do it themselves.

Meanwhile I have been doing some fighting with my dudes now that me playing post-apocalyptic rimworld got me a whole bunch of good gear for them. I captured the Dust King (though sadly he disappeared recently from his cage, can NPCs try and break out of them/get broken out by other people?) and Tora the Fearless. Thinking of moving away from my spot between Squin and the Hub soon, the foglands place people posted might be nice for a bit more action, though maybe I should move a bit further away from where I have been hanging out so far.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
Yeah in Vain with beakthings and in the Burning Forest with bloodspiders, I think the only time they tried to get into my base was when they sensed unconscious people inside of it and wanted to eat them. Patrols would just adjust their path and go around my walls.

Gorgeous Mohammad fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 26, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Greader posted:

Holy hell, having a character with high sneak and some stealth gear is insane. I decided to send one character out to stealth around and explore, figuring at the worst I can still buy some blueprints for better gear or something and as it turns out having 100 sneak means you can pull some utterly stupid poo poo.
Yeah, this really can't be overstated. Thievery, stealth and assassinating add up to a skill synergy that is way, way more powerful than the sum of its parts. A high grade sneakystab character can take out entire patrol all by themselves, just knock them out one by one. They'll never even know. It's hilarious.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Is it possible to do a The Good Bad and the Ugly scam with the bounties that have multiple factions wanting them? Turn them in somewhere then bust them free to turn them in again?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You definitely can simply break out a character you just turned in yourself, they 9nly put you in a standard cage. Even Google doesn't seem to have anything on how the game handles multiple separate bounties, though.

Intuitively, I'd say they are tracked per nation, because a mouse-over will actually tell you where each part of your displayed bounty comes from. If you have a summed bounty of 20000, 15000 in the holy Nation and 5000 Shek, then I think you would only receive the partial bounty of the nation where you turned the character in.

If you try, please do report back, because no one really seems to know.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So my tough all skeleton playthrough got a boost when i installed that reprogrammed skeleton army mod, i trained a bit and smithed decent gear and went and nabbed bug man and the shek loved me for it, so i went and kidnapped the 3 holy nation people for being racist and now I'm going south to work on UC slavers next. Other than deadlands exploration, what else should i do in this victory lap? Is there any story in the NE / NW parts of the map? I've got like 80 hours in and now just want to see the cool sights before i put the game down for good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Have you visited the South Eastern part of the map? All the toughest folks are around there. Take a visit to the southern hive as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bhodi posted:

So my tough all skeleton playthrough got a boost when i installed that reprogrammed skeleton army mod, i trained a bit and smithed decent gear and went and nabbed bug man and the shek loved me for it, so i went and kidnapped the 3 holy nation people for being racist and now I'm going south to work on UC slavers next. Other than deadlands exploration, what else should i do in this victory lap? Is there any story in the NE / NW parts of the map? I've got like 80 hours in and now just want to see the cool sights before i put the game down for good.

You really, really want to go to Obedience.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a reason my own party members are detecting one another in stealth mode? Its all arrows pointing to one another, which is annoyingly keeping a few party members in a red eye which makes me unsure if we're safe or not.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Are they wearing any faction uniforms/disguises? That's a known bug. Take it off and the detection should go away.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Are they wearing any faction uniforms/disguises? That's a known bug. Take it off and the detection should go away.

Oh well that will explain it, thanks!

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

You really, really want to go to Obedience.

Obedience is probably the coolest place in the game, followed by the Ashlands. It's especially cool if you have a Skeleton along that hints at what happened.

Everyone should make a pilgrimage to Stobe's Garden, too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Holy warband heading to my base. Got my character with 99 stealth and 55 assassin running circles around it, picking out a soldier and ko'ing them, stripping down their gear and running to a waystation to sell the stuff off. At this point I'm starting to wonder if its worth the effort of sending someone else to a main city to pick up a handful of mercenaries.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

StrixNebulosa posted:

What do you do if the beakthings break through and actually start eating people?

I have mostly skeletons and tbh I don't know if it possible to actually get established in that area without skeletons because the sheer attrition is pretty crazy at 4x

E: The southern hive was an entirely unexpected turn of events

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 27, 2019

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe someone here can confirm or deny something that I have had inconclusive evidence about. While searching for some unrelated information, I ran across a thread on the Steam forums in which a poster claimed that store bought weapons had a 10% bonus as compared to crafted weapons of the same grade. Is this true to any degree?

I compared a Mk III katana at a store to one that I had crafted and they were identical. I also compared a Catun 3 foreign sabre at a store versus one that I had crafted, and they had identical cutting damage values, but slightly different blunt damage values (with the store bought being superior). My war party uses a pretty limited selection of weapon types and grades, so I haven't had much of a chance to investigate.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

Maybe someone here can confirm or deny something that I have had inconclusive evidence about. While searching for some unrelated information, I ran across a thread on the Steam forums in which a poster claimed that store bought weapons had a 10% bonus as compared to crafted weapons of the same grade. Is this true to any degree?

I compared a Mk III katana at a store to one that I had crafted and they were identical. I also compared a Catun 3 foreign sabre at a store versus one that I had crafted, and they had identical cutting damage values, but slightly different blunt damage values (with the store bought being superior). My war party uses a pretty limited selection of weapon types and grades, so I haven't had much of a chance to investigate.

No however you can't craft the highest grades without mods. Higher edgewalker weapons and of course meitou grade must be bought/found

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I found the post I think you were talking about, but I really am not sure where the guy gets his numbers from.

I took a shortcut and simply went though the item list in the game editor and as far as I can tell, there is absolutely no such thing. There is a manufacturer type called "homemade," but it had 1.0 multipliers across the board.

Having the Edgewalkers manufacturer gives a 1.1 bonus to cut damage, though. Similar things apply to some other manufacturers. I believe the confusion may stem from there. It's not that homemade is worse, it's that some of the manufacturers which you can buy from stores are just intrinsically better than baseline.

If this bothers you, it's eminently moddable. Just a change of maybe for or five values or so.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 27, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Beakthings suck!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
PC party runs across one beak thing. This isn't too bad, their attack speed isn't impressive and you can kind of micromanage the AOE. Not believing the hype.
Two more beak things show up. OK, we can still do this, I have enough people with defense or armor or both to tank
One beak thing dies and a pack of 4 shows up for the fresh meat. OK now this is escalating.
Another falls but 3 more show up. Welp better just accept we are lunch.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

zedprime posted:

PC party runs across one beak thing. This isn't too bad, their attack speed isn't impressive and you can kind of micromanage the AOE. Not believing the hype.
Two more beak things show up. OK, we can still do this, I have enough people with defense or armor or both to tank
One beak thing dies and a pack of 4 shows up for the fresh meat. OK now this is escalating.
Another falls but 3 more show up. Welp better just accept we are lunch.

Gut and the like are dangerous because of that whole "beak things smell carrion" effect. It turns into an invasion rather quickly.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Where's the worst place I could build a base? Screaming forest?

I'm looking for a challenge for my harpoon turrets. Needs space to build and farmland, being close to a town is nice but not required. I've been parked outside of Mongrel with my last two forts and it's pretty great except the fog is annoying, fogmen aren't much of a challenge, and building space is kinda meh.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Gut and the like are dangerous because of that whole "beak things smell carrion" effect. It turns into an invasion rather quickly.
They also eat you alive, while non-Gutter animals will do the standard enemy thing and just leave you on the ground regretting everything. They're an actual existential threat in the way most hostiles aren't.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vasudus posted:

Where's the worst place I could build a base? Screaming forest?

I'm looking for a challenge for my harpoon turrets. Needs space to build and farmland, being close to a town is nice but not required. I've been parked outside of Mongrel with my last two forts and it's pretty great except the fog is annoying, fogmen aren't much of a challenge, and building space is kinda meh.

If you just want a challenge, anywhere is good if you just piss off the local major faction. They will send increasingly stronger raids at you, which will be stronger than most random minor faction raids you'll see.

For a general area, I quite like The Unwelcome zone. If you piss off the UC, you will have UC retaliations, Reaver raids and Crab Tournaments coming for you, on top of the constant small groups of Grass Pirates, Reaver Patrols, Beak Things, Raptors and Crabs that will pass by.

You can try going even further south and settling somewhere close to the southern hive. There are even stronger bandit factions there, and the hive itself can be pretty nasty.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah I would say a base in the Sonorous Dark would be pretty good for difficult wildlife, would have acid rain though.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
If you also want "end-game" raids no matter where you build, if you piss off the Holy Nation enough it will trigger a special event called the Wrath of God that will sick High Inquisitor Seta (80 in all stats) and a bunch of paladin/inquisitor goons on your settlement. If you manage to defeat him, it can trigger again with different named Inquisitors or possibly the Holy Lord Phoenix LXII himself leading it.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Pro-tip: Once Beep inevitably starts losing limbs, give him some scout legs. He turns into the Road Runner from Looney Tunes and it's absolutely hilarious how fast he can go. Currently he's zooming around at 52 mph in my game but there is still room for improvement.

Beep beep!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

I found the post I think you were talking about, but I really am not sure where the guy gets his numbers from.

I took a shortcut and simply went though the item list in the game editor and as far as I can tell, there is absolutely no such thing. There is a manufacturer type called "homemade," but it had 1.0 multipliers across the board.

Having the Edgewalkers manufacturer gives a 1.1 bonus to cut damage, though. Similar things apply to some other manufacturers. I believe the confusion may stem from there. It's not that homemade is worse, it's that some of the manufacturers which you can buy from stores are just intrinsically better than baseline.

If this bothers you, it's eminently moddable. Just a change of maybe for or five values or so.

Thank you for the detailed reply!

I suspect it will eventually bother me, although at this point I'm happy to have all of my men with Mk III weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No problem. Hit me up if you ever start being bothered by it. I've never tried making a mod from scratch, but if I'm going to try, I may as well start with something as comparatively simple as this.