Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, to be fair, PhysX didn't really die, either, it was bought out by NVidia and slowly turned into a software package instead of a hardware one as it was polished up. AFAIK it's still in active use.

Still, I don't think RTX is necessarily DOA like you're making it out to be. It's certainly possible, but then it took a while for T&L to get compatible software as well.

I don't think it's DOA either, I said they botched the launch by presenting it poorly to the public, my evidence for which is the mounting articles and posts asking "wtf is this thing". I'm sure eventually it'll be in a workable state that doesn't gobble 60 extra FPS for lunch, but it's not right now, and imo they should've waited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

CJacobs posted:

I don't think it's DOA either, I said they botched the launch by presenting it poorly to the public, my evidence for which is the mounting articles and posts asking "wtf is this thing". I'm sure eventually it'll be in a workable state that doesn't gobble 60 extra FPS for lunch, but it's not right now, and imo they should've waited.

if you go back to the announcement of hardware t&l, people had a radical example of what it was. i remember the fable apple worm being the one i still remember (and also giants citizen kabuto) but the speed hit was also super severe. i think it was two more generations of cards and one version of directx to make it recieve barely any hit.

i agree it seems like it sucks in general and and nvidias demonstration of it is tough to show which why it super sucked to expect normal day to day players to go out and dump money out.

players looking at what ray tracing is now and going "muh fps" is the exact reason Nvidia shouldn't have marketed it to those same players.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

If Nvidia keeps to their current "every card we make is an rtx card now" it might stick in a generation or two. Once you have a user base that all have a little raytracing core then you can start making it the norm. Or it could fail like intel's raytracing hardware thingy.
Physx didn't fail it just was never going to work making you buy a whole card just for a bit better physics, people don't even buy sound cards anymore much and they only stuck because when they were introduced it was a choice between sound card or beep boop noises.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Vulkan doesn't seem like a big deal, to the best of my knowledge I only own 2 games that support it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As a person who games on not-windows, a game being developed in Vulkan almost seems like a guarantee that I'm going to see a native client and will probably be giving them my money.

CJacobs posted:

I'm getting kind of tired of out-of-the-oven-too-early graphics tech and an emphasis on higher screen resolution constantly resetting the clock on framerate/engine optimization personally.

EVIL Gibson posted:

what was the last "out-of-the-oven-too-early graphics tech" that has come out? like what new graphic effect was recently changed up because i really believe graphics have not reached for anything new and cool since devs are beholden to console performance.

It's hardly underbaked, but: God drat ambient occlusion, its incredible performance hits for many titles, and its ubiquity. SO MANY yesteryear titles tanked on performance with it on, yet looked like horseshit with it turned off as the devs had apparently classified it as some sort of expected viewing experience and didn't bother making the game scale down nicely without it. Particularly guilty are many many facial models with comically bad transitions from skin into facial hair, whereas earlier titles seemed to have used textures or whatnot rather than hiding it all in shadow.

/rant

That being said, current-gen titles seem to have better much AO implementations, so hopefully it continues as such.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
PhysX actually has alot of use nowadays, it's just not really talked about now because it's a software architecture that any card can use, and with it openly viable it doesn't get much notice these days. It's rediculously prevalent in modern games, even though it's initial intentions weren't well known beyond goopy fluids and making soft particles hang low like fog.

The one thing I wish had become commonplace was that material engine the Force Unleashed games used, where wood and glass broke in believable fashions and looked really good. (also didn't really have a big performance hit either)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 28, 2019

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

TOOT BOOT posted:

Vulkan doesn't seem like a big deal, to the best of my knowledge I only own 2 games that support it.
Unreal Engine and Unity can both target Vulkan.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

This kinda reminds me of mid-to-late-90s when console and GPU manufacturers were still figuring out APIs and techniques to render stuff. I guess real-time raytracing is a pretty considerable breakthrough ever since normal mapping, shaders, SSAO got popular, isn't it?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I don't get why they obfuscate what the new tech is behind the marketing term "RTX". People say that the average consumer doesn't know what ray tracing is, but I have no drat clue how graphics cards work and I've still been hearing about real time ray tracing being the holy grail of game graphics since the mid 90s. Now that it's finally a reality, they make up a new name for it. It's like they're ashamed of it.

I know that RTX technically does stuff other than ray tracing, but you'd think that they'd want to put that poo poo front and center.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's because it's 2019 and computer part manufactures can't stop attaching dumb rear end epic badass radical SKU names to their products with embarrassing hot rod flames and glowing lights and logos. If they can cram a useless acronym in there they certainly will.

edit:

At least the RTX cards themselves have a relatively sleek profile this time around instead of looking like an anime robot head. Lest we forget the mistakes of yesteryear

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 28, 2019

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It's gonna take a while until I really need to change my 780Ti (goon gifted last October) and my ancient i7 2600k. As long as I can play certain games and if I can't I can just go and play it on my PS4. Considering that my most desired game of 2019 is Doom Eternal and Doom 2016 runs at smooth 60fps on high quality, I should be fine with my PC.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Seems like Intel has been messing around with this raytracing thing on some id FPSes since the last decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKzC1RnzHpY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_Wars:_Ray_Traced

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Guillermus posted:

It's gonna take a while until I really need to change my 780Ti (goon gifted last October) and my ancient i7 2600k.

My identical setup finally died last year, keep the 2600k 780ti combo going as long as you can!

Negrostrike posted:

This kinda reminds me of mid-to-late-90s when console and GPU manufacturers were still figuring out APIs and techniques to render stuff. I guess real-time raytracing is a pretty considerable breakthrough ever since normal mapping, shaders, SSAO got popular, isn't it?

It is a pretty big jump just it won't look like much at a glance. On the true ray tracing rendered game a big difference would be rendering the scene lighting/color/shadow outwards from the camera instead of layering and blending it back to front so suddenly everything is in the right order without any extra effort. And you can finally get Toy story graphics for your Playstation(6 maybe?)

Negrostrike posted:

Seems like Intel has been messing around with this raytracing thing on some id FPSes since the last decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKzC1RnzHpY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_Wars:_Ray_Traced
This was part of Intel's failed attempt at a raytracing gpu I think.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Back to the decline of rocket launchers, I wonder if the rise in grenades / grenade launchers had anything to do with it. There seems to be a correlation if not a causation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nvidia increased the cost of the top tier card by $500 for a 20% gain in performance so ray tracing isn’t the only thing consumers are unsure about.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Back to the decline of rocket launchers, I wonder if the rise in grenades / grenade launchers had anything to do with it. There seems to be a correlation if not a causation.

I think it would be linked to the decline of being able to move out of the way fast enough anymore in FPS.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Flannelette posted:

This was part of Intel's failed attempt at a raytracing gpu I think.
They also used it to hype some of their high-end chips at the time.

I’ve heard rumors that Intel is still working on a discrete graphics card. Their canceled Larrabee card was basically a bunch of tweaked Atom cores on a board. It was great for stuff like ray-tracing, but as far as I know it was cancelled because emulating a traditional graphics card pipeline resulted in very mediocre performance. In other words, it would have had some awesome demos and a few neat titles like the Quake Wars update, but 99.9% of games would run worse than an equivalently expensive AMD/nVidia card.

I think it would be in everyone’s best interest to not let nVidia lock everyone into a proprietary API for this. There actually are (were?) two existing ray-tracing APIs: OpenRT and OpenRL. Ironically neither is open source.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

I’ve heard rumors that Intel is still working on a discrete graphics card.

They are, Intel have teased their dedicated graphics card multiple times now. It's not a rumor.

Flannelette posted:

Once you have a user base that all have a little raytracing core then you can start making it the norm.

Next-gen consoles won't have ray tracing capability, which means it won't be the norm for the next ~7 years but an extra goodie for PC players at most.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

When rocket chat and Half-Life came up I thought to the big N64 shooters that came out before HL: Goldeneye and Turok 1 and 2. GE's rocket launcher always felt like an afterthought and so seemed like a real precursor to the decline of FPS rockets. Turok is a bit odd though. They definitely favor the older abstract gameplay and design but you also see rockets kinda demoted there too. Dinosaur Hunter's quad missile and 2's scorpion launcher were both really cool and powerful but were also introduced late in the game, were bulky and overkill for most stuff, and had low rate of fire and ammo capacity. Instead, the grenade launcher in both titles feels like the replacement for the traditional FPS rocket. I don't really know where I'm going with this but man I love a good grenade launcher and will happily take one over a rocket launcher any day.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

I think it would be in everyone’s best interest to not let nVidia lock everyone into a proprietary API for this. There actually are (were?) two existing ray-tracing APIs: OpenRT and OpenRL. Ironically neither is open source.

I think all of RTX is just using DX12 raytracing stuff so it shouldn't lock out anyone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fallom posted:

Nvidia increased the cost of the top tier card by $500 for a 20% gain in performance so ray tracing isn’t the only thing consumers are unsure about.

I agree. The cost of the top tier has gone through the roof. I still remember when I bought an ATI X1800XT in January 2006 for 520€ and that was like high end these days. Nowadays would be a medium range from the previous gen :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flannelette posted:

I think all of RTX is just using DX12 raytracing stuff so it shouldn't lock out anyone.

Yeah, as I understand it RTX is nVidia's implementation of hardware supporting MS's DirectX ray tracing API. When other GPU vendors add ray tracing it won't be called RTX but it will be compatible with any games that use the same DirectX features.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sir Lemming posted:

Actually, yeah, quicknade and the ubiquity of frags probably did have something to do with that. Good point.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Flannelette posted:

haveblue posted:

Yeah, as I understand it RTX is nVidia's implementation of hardware supporting MS's DirectX ray tracing API. When other GPU vendors add ray tracing it won't be called RTX but it will be compatible with any games that use the same DirectX features.

Oh great. I haven’t actually read about the RTX stuff at all or what (if anything) nVidia actually added to their cards for it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think the ray tracing demo is just a harbinger of the much bigger (ongoing) GPU compute revolution. It's not just a shift to better reflections - it's a shift to a fundamentally different way of generating images which also happens to allow new techniques such as path tracing to be used, and in turn, lets GPU manufacturers provide non-rasterization-oriented hardware acceleration features of which raytracing is one. The cool part of the Q2 demo to me isn't that the reflections are good or whatever, but that the image being rendered at 60fps is being generated completely outside of the traditional vertex/fragment rasterization pipeline model. That's a big deal in terms of potential, probably on par with the switch from the fixed-function to programmable pipelines in the first place. And even though fully ray-traced games are probably awhile away for consumers, I'm sure enterprising renderer devs will figure out ways to use it in conjunction with traditional rendering pipelines in ways that can scale back gracefully. Even as a way to compute dynamic AO in world space it could be interesting. I will personally be glad when SSAO and its weird dark halos are things of the past.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Volte posted:

I will personally be glad when SSAO and its weird dark halos are things of the past.

No kiddin'

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gobblecoque posted:

When rocket chat and Half-Life came up I thought to the big N64 shooters that came out before HL: Goldeneye and Turok 1 and 2. GE's rocket launcher always felt like an afterthought and so seemed like a real precursor to the decline of FPS rockets. Turok is a bit odd though. They definitely favor the older abstract gameplay and design but you also see rockets kinda demoted there too. Dinosaur Hunter's quad missile and 2's scorpion launcher were both really cool and powerful but were also introduced late in the game, were bulky and overkill for most stuff, and had low rate of fire and ammo capacity. Instead, the grenade launcher in both titles feels like the replacement for the traditional FPS rocket. I don't really know where I'm going with this but man I love a good grenade launcher and will happily take one over a rocket launcher any day.

Don't forget the Fusion Cannon, even further along those lines than the Scorpion. It's basically a BFG, except in a game which already has another, different ultimate weapon.

On the topic of Turok, I've just finished a Turok 2 playthrough and it's honestly just sad how much worse the level design is in that game than the original. The first three levels are, not great, but let's call them functional. After that it starts to drop off pretty badly, until at last the Primagen's Lightship is just four looping corridors. I wonder if the game would have caught so much flak for "too long levels" if they'd just been laid out hub and spoke style, with lots of cross-connections.

Someone do me a Turok 2 remake. Same guns, same level concepts, all new layouts.

Oh yeah, the bosses are poo poo too.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Everybody shut the gently caress up Civvie has a vid on Dusk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiuC1DcgIMo

(jk love yall this rendering talk is fascinating)

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The original AvP had great explosives. The standard Pulse Rifle's grenade launcher alt was hitscan and amazing at taking out fast-moving aliens and ammo was plentiful enough to keep you in grenades for most levels (especially when so many encounters occurred in close quarters meaning you'd be stuck using the primary fire).

Later when Predators and weird alien laser robot... things started showing up, you got the shoulder-fired rocket that was basically a small nuclear bomb but only had enough ammo to handle the big threats when they came up.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Best use of explosives is playing Doom with 10x and BoomDoom :colbert:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Everybody shut the gently caress up Civvie has a vid on Dusk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiuC1DcgIMo

(jk love yall this rendering talk is fascinating)

No intruder mode?! loving raw

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I was about to boot up Dusk and then realized... I've never actually played Quake.

Looks like I'm about to have some fun kicking it old school :)

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

guy fieri's gpu spotted.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jose Mengelez posted:

guy fieri's gpu spotted.

Not dripping in signature Cadillac Cream Sauce or deep fried onion shavins.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Thy Flesh Is Off The Chain!

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

Narcissus1916 posted:

So I was about to boot up Dusk and then realized... I've never actually played Quake.

Looks like I'm about to have some fun kicking it old school :)

I just bought Dusk on Steam and was playing it for about an hour.

Easily one of the best "old school inspired" games I've played in a long time. Load time when first starting the game is pretty extreme, but after that it's pretty smooth.

Ion Maiden is cool, but it needs more polishing (it's still not officially released, though).

SteelReserve fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 29, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Thy Flesh Is Off The Chain!

Knee Deep in the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.

Knee Deep Fried in the Dead

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I'm glad that Civvie dropped the MST3K kind of poo poo from his earlier videos. He doesn't need that window dressing cause he has a genuine love for the games that sets him apart from other youtubers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

comingafteryouall posted:

I'm glad that Civvie dropped the MST3K kind of poo poo from his earlier videos. He doesn't need that window dressing cause he has a genuine love for the games that sets him apart from other youtubers.

This is precisely why I love LGR. Genuine Youtubers are wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
RAGE is £1 at Fanatical if anyone doesn't have it.