Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Flowers For Algeria posted:

hey, Americans, don’t dream of doing and do! look at your history if you must, y’all have a bunch of riots and insurrections you can use for inspiration. don’t forget Ferguson, Los Angeles, Watts. there is a lot of revolutionary potential in America as well, and that trump fucker is providing you with plenty of sparks

the US was birthed in violent revolution but we've become entirely docile and pacified lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Kurtofan posted:

some fash gilet jaunes attacked left wing gilet jaunes in paris, anything else?
there's a night protest going on also
who has more support

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hey, Americans, don’t dream of doing and do! look at your history if you must, y’all have a bunch of riots and insurrections you can use for inspiration. don’t forget Ferguson, Los Angeles, Watts. there is a lot of revolutionary potential in America as well, and that trump fucker is providing you with plenty of sparks

game of thrones is on though

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

cargo cult posted:

who has more support

Not sure twitter replies is full of anti gj libs bothsiding

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Boatswain posted:

What the gently caress is going on with the foulards rouges? They sound like a spectre conjured by the media.

It's the usual right-wingers "apolitical citizens" complaining about the disruption. In their own words:

quote:

"People are tired of the roadblocks. They are bad for business, and children are prevented from getting to school on time," red scarves spokesman Alex Brun told French broadcaster RFI.

Think of the businesses! Think of the children!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Yeah I figured... IIRC there were some ghouls doing the same in 68.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1070602399461597184

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Doesnt look good for manu at the European elections lol

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

this one is over a month old

most recent poll has him at 30 % support, 69 % oppose (nice)

j’me souviens surtout d’ces moutons
effrayés par la liberté
s’en allant voter par millions
pour l’ordre et la sécurité

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

https://www.facebook.com/aragonade/videos/393561861395580/

For anyone wondering what the foulards rouges are all about. Sincerest apologies for the non French speakers, you’ll have to make up your own dialogue. Just follow these very simple guidelines:

- Be smug, arrogant, condescending or downright hateful
- Hide your horrifying lack of morals behind noble sounding words like « democracy » or « the republic »
- Mandatory sloppy bj to the few present cops
- Aggro the journalist as soon as a question you don’t like comes up
- Venezuela

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Are they, peut-être, small business owners?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

the US was birthed in violent revolution but we've become entirely docile and pacified lol

The US is still pretty violent, it's just the state is that much more violent. There's still some resistance too.

The Baltimore and Ferguson uprisings weren't even that long ago, and the anti-fascist mobilizations of the last few summers have been partly anti-police by necessity too.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Boatswain posted:

Are they, peut-être, small business owners?

I really need to sub this at some point so you can enjoy how batshit crazy this video is. Just a few nuggets: at 15:00 when the journalist gets assaulted by some protesters she screams « This is the first time in my life I got attacked at a protest, pacifists my rear end ! »

When it switches to the cops afterwards they’re chanting « Thanks to the police, thanks to the police... » (trying to keep the metering there) after which they scream at the few yellow vests taunting them from afar: « Fascists » « Get back to work » « Deadbeats »

All in all, small business owners yeah.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Can french legislature do a no-confidence or are they supposed to wait a couple more years to vote macron out.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Can french legislature do a no-confidence or are they supposed to wait a couple more years to vote macron out.

France Insoumise put a « Motion de censure » on the floor recently which wasn’t followed (even by the rest of the opposition). Since Macron has a supermajority in the house it was mostly a symbolic gesture to force everyone to actually own their support to the current government with no chance of any actual consequences.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Atrocious Joe posted:

The US is still pretty violent, it's just the state is that much more violent. There's still some resistance too.

The Baltimore and Ferguson uprisings weren't even that long ago, and the anti-fascist mobilizations of the last few summers have been partly anti-police by necessity too.

Personally, my family's america is one of peace and puritanism. I'm 11th generation and my english-american identity predates even jamestown. We said we came here to practice true to the gospels of Jesus Christ and from what I've read war came to us, and not us to war.

anyway im trying to be helpful to potential brexit victims, would anyone care to go into domestic service here in America? If I could have a steady supply of your accents I could really make a mint

e: whoops this is the france crisis thread. my advice is hang the bastards

Former DILF has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Jan 28, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

France Insoumise put a « Motion de censure » on the floor recently which wasn’t followed (even by the rest of the opposition). Since Macron has a supermajority in the house it was mostly a symbolic gesture to force everyone to actually own their support to the current government with no chance of any actual consequences.

These votes of no confidence are only for the prime minister and the cabinet, anyway. The president is essentially untouchable.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

These red scarves sound like huge dorks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

this one is over a month old

most recent poll has him at 30 % support, 69 % oppose (nice)

j’me souviens surtout d’ces moutons
effrayés par la liberté
s’en allant voter par millions
pour l’ordre et la sécurité

drat

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"I was elected by the people," says man whose opponent in the general was a Le Pen.
He really thinks he got in because the people adored him...

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

If I didn't know sociopaths don't experience shame it would be really difficult to wrap my head around why politicians who gently caress up this bad don't just resign. To a normal person there's zero reason to cling to power for few extra months even when you are too much of a disgrace to wield it and every day is just an embarrassing reminder of that.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Oh no, he's wielding the power alright. Low approval rating or not, he's still got an ironclad majority in parliament. Barring much bigger protests in the near future, he's doing whatever the hell he wants.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Kassad posted:

Oh no, he's wielding the power alright. Low approval rating or not, he's still got an ironclad majority in parliament. Barring much bigger protests FENWICK CREW COMING THROUGH in the near future, he's doing whatever the hell he wants.

(we need a gang tag for this)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Every single red scarf looks like someone that would ask you for a light, chat for a minute or so and then walk away without giving you your lighter back.

Wrong side of history that they are I'm sure many are perfectly nice, patriotic people but they all look the type that would make you do the awkward 'sorry can I get my lighter back?' dance.

Edit; \/ \/ Utterly evil or incomprehensibly incompetent? Who knows! Either way they need to be made to go.

Vitamin P has issued a correction as of 00:23 on Jan 29, 2019

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-france-economy-le-maire/france-prepared-to-step-up-spending-cuts-finance-minister-idUKKCN1PM13T

quote:

PARIS (Reuters) - French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said on Monday that he prepared to step up public spending cuts to finance faster tax cuts if people voiced a desire for lower tax in a nationwide debate underway.

“Should we go further on tax cuts? The grand debate will offer an answer to this fundamental question, which involves real choices as a society,” Le Maire said.

“I for one am ready to reduce public spending on things people do not consider a priority in order to step up tax cuts,” Le Maire added, speaking in a business address to business leaders.

Hmm yes. The people are crying out for austerity to fiance taxes for the richest members of society.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's astonishing how much effort they'll put into showing that they aren't listening at all.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Grrrrr

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

fellow french goons, has any one of you been to the government’s great debate website, where you can contribute online

it is: lol

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

I realise we're probably asking you for translations here too but my god the best bits must be incredible.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i havent

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

I realise we're probably asking you for translations here too but my god the best bits must be incredible.

alright, so. on the website, there’s a section dedicated to online contributions. you can contribute in two different ways: write down open answers to questions on 4 different themes, and/or answer a few multiple choice questions.

the four themes of the debate are: the ecological transition, taxes ans public expenditures, democracy and citizenship, and the organization of public services.

you gotta create an account to answer the questions, but without an account you still may read the multiple choice questions and see what others have answered to the open ended questions.

here are ALL the "taxes and public expenditure"-themed multiple choice questions:

1) what should be done in order to fight the public deficit of France, which spends more than it earns?*
- cut public spending
- increase taxes
- both
- dunno

2) in order to cut taxes and reduce our debt, which public expenditures should be cut first?
- those of the state
- social expenses
- local expenses
- dunno

3) amongst national and local expenditures, in which sectors should we spend less?
- education and research
- defense
- safety
- transportation
- environment
- housing
- other:_____

4) would you be ready to pay a tax that incentivizes behaviors that are beneficial for the community, such as ecological taxes or taxes on tobacco or alcohol?
- yes
- no

...and that’s it!!
this is a huge joke and gently caress everyone who goes along with it.

*that is literally what it says. if you don’t believe me have a screencap

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Might as well do a Twitter poll

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Might as well do a Twitter poll

forwarding this to mounir mahjoubi

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
liberal democracy is a loving sham

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Top City Homo posted:

liberal democracy is a loving sham

Snorts centristly

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Wanna paradrop a Fenwick on the Bercy helipad (dear DGSI: this is a joke)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kassad posted:

Wanna paradrop a Fenwick on the Bercy helipad (dear DGSI: this is a joke)

rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

actually it’s not a helipad, it’s a parabolic antenna used by darmanin and le maire to receive their orders from their reptilian brethren