Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

wolfbiker posted:

how? i went into the shield settings and to the remote control but there wasn't an option. just one to have double tapping the volume slider to mimic the pause function.
I believe it's Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced > Fixed Volume

Thermopyle posted:

Well then how are you supposed to control the volume? Two remotes? What is this, 1999?

Facetious, right? Anyone in their right mind has a FLIRC and a Harmony.

The slider thing is just anecdotal for those still slumming with two remotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
My old HTPC is mini-ITX with an i5-3570 and 8 GB RAM. I was thinking of turning it into a Plex server and putting it in the basement. Are there any other apps that would be useful to install on a general server? I have a separate NAS for storage.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Quixzlizx posted:

My old HTPC is mini-ITX with an i5-3570 and 8 GB RAM. I was thinking of turning it into a Plex server and putting it in the basement. Are there any other apps that would be useful to install on a general server? I have a separate NAS for storage.

Check out the USENET thread in SHSC, and after finding a provider & indexer install the holy trinity of SABNZBD, Radarr (Movies) and Sonarr (TV Series). The latter two will auto-notify and update Plex when they grab stuff. All 3 run on pretty much any OS.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I've been using a Zotac AD-11+ as my media PC for 6 years now. I've had various flavors of Kodi on it this entire time (currently LibreElec). I really like the setup, but now that it's hitting its 6th birthday it's finally starting to choke on certain videos. I'm looking to replace it in the near future and I'd love to grab something that's futureproofed for another six years. I'm thinking this newer Zotac model a good replacement. Do I have that right? I just wanted to double check before I pulled the trigger.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Repost from TV thread. I have an LG C7, a Denon X1400, a Shield, and a Harmony. I still want to use the built-in Netflix app instead of the Shield for Dolby Vision.

I setup a Harmony activity to do so but the receiver kept switching to the Shield input since I think it detected activity. I turned off HDMI control in the receiver which stopped the switching, but now Netflix just doesn't launch on the TV. I don't really know if there's an "input" to select in the Harmony activity for Netflix but I'm wondering if that's what I'm missing. Anyone have this experience?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crumps Brother posted:

I've been using a Zotac AD-11+ as my media PC for 6 years now. I've had various flavors of Kodi on it this entire time (currently LibreElec). I really like the setup, but now that it's hitting its 6th birthday it's finally starting to choke on certain videos. I'm looking to replace it in the near future and I'd love to grab something that's futureproofed for another six years. I'm thinking this newer Zotac model a good replacement. Do I have that right? I just wanted to double check before I pulled the trigger.

Turn your old Zotac into a Plex server and get an Nvidia Shield to use as a client device instead.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Crumps Brother posted:

I just replaced my brothers Zotac AD11 with a Shield TV and they are very happy with it. They basically just use Youtube, Kodi, Plex and Netflix.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Time to upgrade my HTPC, and the main things I use it for are KODI (streaming tv/music/movies off my desktop in the other room) and Steam games for when I want couch gaming. Some games are installed locally on my htpc ssd and others I stream from the same desktop pc in the other room. My favourite types of games are family friendly couch coop games like Castle Crashers and BitTripRunner but I’ve found the lag on Steam’s in-home streaming just a bit too unforgiving for some of them. I also play games from emulators a bunch, SNES and Genesis and the like, all of which are installed locally on the htpc’s ssd.

My question is, would an NVidia Shield meet my needs? Is the streaming better than Steam’s offering? Is there any way to install games locally on it to remove the need to stream? And any way to play SuperMarioWorld on it?
Any other solutions people want to suggest?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You can run emulators up to N64 or PS1 depending on the game. It does in home game streaming okay, not sure how the lag compares though. I thought it was fine but I'm not sensitive to it. It runs Kodi but I switched to Plex so I can't say how well it compares.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Forum Joe posted:

My question is, would an NVidia Shield meet my needs? Is the streaming better than Steam’s offering?
Any other solutions people want to suggest?

Steam and GameStream both use NVFBC for stream file capture as far as I know, so they should be pretty similar for latency. You can go into your steam streaming log file to see which part of your setup is slowing things down. There's a post on how to do it here: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/540733523404402134/ If it says slow decode is to blame, then a shield would probably improve things for you.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Ok cool. So if I’m going to get a Shield, is the Gen 2 worth the extra price for the stuff I’m going to be doing with it? Not interested in 4K streaming, but would it help with latency on streaming games or speed of local games?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I'm pretty sure the only difference is the gen 2 is smaller and doesn't have an sd card, otherwise its the same machine.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

TheScott2K posted:

Windows Media Center will never be topped

Too good for this world

I just caught up on this thread after about 3 years away from it and am kind of bummed with where we've ended up.
My HDHomerunPrime + WMC box + Xbox 360 extender setup is still holding on for now, but I feel like I'm on borrowed time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Naffer posted:

I just caught up on this thread after about 3 years away from it and am kind of bummed with where we've ended up.
My HDHomerunPrime + WMC box + Xbox 360 extender setup is still holding on for now, but I feel like I'm on borrowed time.

Get a android tv box and try it with your hdhomerun

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Naffer posted:

One day the guide data is just gonna...stop.

Hdhomerun with a Shield is nice and all, but it doesn't touch the slickness and quality of WMC.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Shield + Kodi + HDHomeRun is what i'm running right now and I like it a lot

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Pi / Tinkerboard + Kodi + HDHR here too, but I'm using the OTA HDHR not Prime. Kodi won't be able to decode any DRM streams, that's limited to WMC and IIRC a limited set of the official HDHR apps, so how many cable channels you could receive depends on how dickish your cable company is. There are many reports of them being shitheads and setting all channels in an area to "Copy Once" or "Copy Never" regardless of upstream demands.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

Pi / Tinkerboard + Kodi + HDHR here too, but I'm using the OTA HDHR not Prime. Kodi won't be able to decode any DRM streams, that's limited to WMC and IIRC a limited set of the official HDHR apps, so how many cable channels you could receive depends on how dickish your cable company is. There are many reports of them being shitheads and setting all channels in an area to "Copy Once" or "Copy Never" regardless of upstream demands.

only things that are set to Copy Never for Verizon FIOs in my experience is the premium channels like HBO.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Shield gen 2 has a better game controller (quite nice actually), otherwise the same as gen 1.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What's even slicker than recording live TV is being a dirty pirate.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

TheScott2K posted:

One day the guide data is just gonna...stop.

Hdhomerun with a Shield is nice and all, but it doesn't touch the slickness and quality of WMC.

I guess you could probably string things out using EPG123 for $25/year, but I bet a whole bunch of stuff breaks when they cut off the guide data.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thermopyle posted:

I just moved and got 400mbit down. Going from 22mbit down is...wonderful.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

devmd01 posted:

I just moved and got 400mbit down. Going from 22mbit down is...wonderful.

I had to upgrade my Xfinity connection to gigabit down just to get 35mbps up. My current firewall chokes at about 350mbps down.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thermopyle posted:

Quote for ban /s

I dont miss WMC at all. My shield does DVR, pausing, and guide data for free.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I got several of these dinky little computers that are so very limited from a hardware standpoint, so I figured that I could just turn them into some sort of media device. I could use some recommendations. Old dual-core celeron processor, 1GB ram, 320GB hardrive. HDMI out.

I've just been experimenting on one. Erased the hard drive and installed Xubuntu 16.04. Downloaded and installed Kodi as the media server. This works fine....but I'm wondering if it would be better to simply install some integrated media server OS rather than a full Linux OS and then individual media server programs. Considering the system resources....would the latter option be better?

What I'd like to be able to do with these is to be able to stream videos to it from network connected computers, store and play media on the hard drive, transfer files back and forth between network connected computers, connect to online video streaming sources, etc.....

So....any suggestions?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Collect whatever pittance you can for that hardware and get a Shield

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I got several of these dinky little computers that are so very limited from a hardware standpoint, so I figured that I could just turn them into some sort of media device. I could use some recommendations. Old dual-core celeron processor, 1GB ram, 320GB hardrive. HDMI out.

I've just been experimenting on one. Erased the hard drive and installed Xubuntu 16.04. Downloaded and installed Kodi as the media server. This works fine....but I'm wondering if it would be better to simply install some integrated media server OS rather than a full Linux OS and then individual media server programs. Considering the system resources....would the latter option be better?

What I'd like to be able to do with these is to be able to stream videos to it from network connected computers, store and play media on the hard drive, transfer files back and forth between network connected computers, connect to online video streaming sources, etc.....

So....any suggestions?

TheScott2K posted:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

That was part of the plan (minus the shield). Turn them into inexpensive media devices and sell them cheap

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

That was part of the plan (minus the shield). Turn them into inexpensive media devices and sell them cheap

In a world of $35 Netflix players and Plex, you're not going to get more for them because they've got Kodi or whatever installed on them.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

In a world of $35 Netflix players and Plex, you're not going to get more for them because they've got Kodi or whatever installed on them.

IDK. Streaming media over the home network from a laptop I figured is something that people would still be interested in. I guess I'm not aware of the fire sticks and rokus doing this. Maybe chromecast?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

IDK. Streaming media over the home network from a laptop I figured is something that people would still be interested in. I guess I'm not aware of the fire sticks and rokus doing this. Maybe chromecast?

There's a thing called Plex and literally every streaming device supports it. Seriously, this is a waste of effort. Sell these shitboxen to whoever will give you anything for them (do it as a lot, save some time) and get a Shield.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Fire TV/Roku boxes, Apple TV, Shield, etc., all those little streaming boxes have Kodi and Plex apps to stream downloaded media and that experience on your big screen TV is a million times better than streaming from a PC these days; streaming from a laptop or any PC is archaic as gently caress in comparison. Those little boxes also have apps for Netflix, HBOGO/Now, Prime video, basically every cable channel, again making that media consumption experience significantly better. The era of the HTPC is dead imo, especially with how good the Shield is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I think almost nobody cares about this. My source is like, talking to coworkers for years and having friends over for little movie nights where they see my HTPC and give no fucks because movie goes. They don’t want movie that they can’t make go and don’t care to get movie to make go beyond Netflix.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The only audience for streaming from a laptop is this small and very specific niche of weird older nerds who haven't bothered to keep up with the times. Every once in awhile I'll come across someone wanting to figure out how to get MPC-HC to stream from their windows laptop on their TV or some weird poo poo like that.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Are there any boxes that have good multitasking support? E.g. playing a video with the sound muted in one app (e.g. netflix, plex) while another app is playing music? Figure there may be some issues with this because the video app may be trying to bitstream the audio to the receiver if it's receiving a DTS or Dolby stream, which I believe would bock any other app from playing audio simultaneously. I need a way to get my Planet Earth + music situation going.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My receiver will continue playing the last video source when I switch to an audio only input, which let's me watch a video while playing music.

This... Probably doesn't help you.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Uthor posted:

My receiver will continue playing the last video source when I switch to an audio only input, which let's me watch a video while playing music.

This... Probably doesn't help you.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my receiver doesn't do that, but maybe a multi-source solution would be the least headache. I could use my TV's smart features to play the video via Plex or whatever streaming app, then use a different input on the receiver to play the music (rather than having the TV ARC to the receiver). Wouldn't be able to have guest uses the TV to help search for / queue up music anymore, but that's not a huge deal.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

There's a thing called Plex and literally every streaming device supports it. Seriously, this is a waste of effort. Sell these shitboxen to whoever will give you anything for them (do it as a lot, save some time) and get a Shield.

Ah. Yup. I didn't know about Plex. These things are basically worthless then. And I have little to no interest in a Shield.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Ah. Yup. I didn't know about Plex. These things are basically worthless then. And I have little to no interest in a Shield.

And yet, you ended up with a collection of POS Celeron boxes? Did you get trapped in 2010 and only just made it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

What are you trying to do that a Shield can't do? Run Windows XP as a frontend?