Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

is The Dark Id still around?

Busy working on Shadow Hearts at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

is The Dark Id still around?

Has an active LP right now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860785

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Think it should be a video LP just so you don't have a contrarian walk in without having seen it going in real time, listening to the sound track, having to sit through the level ups and slow combat and ponderous lovely text boxes, and go "this doesn't seem SO BAD????"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Hbomberguy 100% livestream.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i didnt know the dark id still was on the forums thats awesome i remember them doing the best screenshot lps

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

What the gently caress does this question mean lol

Like, "because of the postmodernism," what are you even talking about

Pretty much. Since it's the rejection of modernism you can say something is postmodern and then people will convince themselves its actually good trying to analyze it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Flannelette posted:

Pretty much. Since it's the rejection of modernism you can say something is postmodern and then people will convince themselves its actually good trying to analyze it.

That still doesn't make sense. Post-modernism concretely means things, things which YIIK goes out of its way to repudiate in its story to the point of having the lead character tell you post modernism is dumb.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A shitload of what normally falls under 'postmodernism' can be traced way back, in some cases back to ancient Greek theatre.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Also postmodernism means a different thing in each medium.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

And a different thing to each person. People love to call anything post modern. Especially if they think modern only means contemporary

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:justpost:modernism.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

no modernisms no masters

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

That still doesn't make sense. Post-modernism concretely means things, things which YIIK goes out of its way to repudiate in its story to the point of having the lead character tell you post modernism is dumb.

Gaming's first Post-postmodern protagonist?
It means concrete things but what those are depend on the viewer, at least from my limited knowledge of it (Modernism: there's a "right" way to do everything and things like the scientific method will help find it, Postmodernism: doing that doesn't work always and it's all relative to the viewer) is that roughly accurate?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The phrase "postmodern" has kind of been diluted by pop culture to mainly just mean "meta". Like at one point it was used to describe a specific artistic movement that grew out of WW2 and was basically about tearing down conventional structure to reflect the nihilism of a world that had allowed the holocaust to happen. A big aspect of that was deconstruction, which is what most people think of when they heard the term now. But deconstruction was just one aspect of postmodernism, and it wasn't invented by post-modernists (Don Quixote is a deconstruction and it predates postmodernism by 300 years).

Basically what people are thinking of when they use the phrase "postmodern" now is that sort of "I know that you know" style of writing where you point out all the cliches you're using so that it becomes a "commentary" on them even though you're playing them completely straight,

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I miss when this thread didn't actually talk about smart things.

gently caress yiik.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Flannelette posted:

Gaming's first Post-postmodern protagonist?
It means concrete things but what those are depend on the viewer, at least from my limited knowledge of it (Modernism: there's a "right" way to do everything and things like the scientific method will help find it, Postmodernism: doing that doesn't work always and it's all relative to the viewer) is that roughly accurate?

no. postmodernism has specific meanings but people are dumb and don't use it properly

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
This thread needs to get post post-modernism!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Deadguy2322 posted:

This thread needs to get post post-modernism!

that's called remodernism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Isn't New Sincerity the thing among the insufferable chattering classes and the bored rich young people who follow them?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you want to waste more of your life on Yiik, Ruggington has basically recorded it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruggington/videos

quote:

HolyAarom
were the ~20 hours worth it in your opinion

Ruggington
short answer: no
long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ruggington
to actually say something helpful:

for every weird, goofy, interesting, or unintentionally funny thing you run into there's always another point of extremely boring combat, stiff controls, and insufferable dialogue that will make you regret everything. There is legitimately not one single part of this game where I can say I enjoyed the actual act of playing it and I wasn't just waiting for it to stop making me do boring braindead puzzles or trudge through it's tedious and slow combat. Then after you get through the gameplay you check your status and realize you have enough experience for multiple levels and it's going to take you ten minutes of sheer mindless tedium just to expend those in the hopes it makes combat go by faster. When the game doesn't force you to go through it's horrible grimy gameplay you just get the ironic enjoyment of watching incompetent writing and directionless voice acting that would be lessened immensely if you didnt have a group of friends to point and laugh with you.

The most damning thing I can say about it is that the 70 minutes I spent cheat-engining and testing the boundaries of the atrocious leveling system probably genuinely saved me at least double the amount of time I invested into it. Everything about the gameplay from the foundation up is completely rotten and every single new mechanic you run into will make you wonder how a game can hate its player's time so much.

all that said, I don't think anything about yiik comes from a bad place, it just, IS a bad place

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you want to waste more of your life on Yiik, Ruggington has basically recorded it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruggington/videos

Ruggington please take care of yourself, you matter

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I thought postmodernism was "anything that happened after the nuclear bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki," is that wrong?

I've played plenty of awful rpgs and man, while YIIK is most definitely not the worst I've seen, it certainly sounds like it's down there with the worst.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought postmodernism was "anything that happened after the nuclear bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki," is that wrong?

I've played plenty of awful rpgs and man, while YIIK is most definitely not the worst I've seen, it certainly sounds like it's down there with the worst.

My favorite thing about postmodernism is that it's over half a century old at this point. The incongruity of the name and the reality of how long ago it was coined is so great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
fwiw as others have said upthread the definition of postmodernism varies intensely by academic field, and few of us will have the qualifications to speak to all of these definitions. At the same time, these definitions are the best way to grasp postmodernism conceptually, because unlike lay intuitions of the term they're grounded in historical movements and texts, and the different field-specific definitions are mostly internally coherent.

My two cents on architectural pomo is that, like 90% of architecture, it sucks because it tends to prioritize aesthetic over function in a way that doesn't get communicated in photos. Modernist architecture was remarkably dysfunctional a lot of the time, but "postmodern" architecture is probably the fount of some of the most wasteful, pointless, harmful edifices we've got. There's good work done in any of these fields, but that work isn't very closely linked to the school of architecture. I could do a whole derailing effortpost about architectural economics and how screwed up that field is, but it's not really on topic enough.

I don't think YIIK represents any clear, specific academic theory of postmodernism.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 27, 2019

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

My favorite thing about postmodernism is that it's over half a century old at this point. The incongruity of the name and the reality of how long ago it was coined is so great.

I mean, take that up with the root problem. Postmodernism is called that because it came after and in response to the Modernism movement. The eternal modern of the early 1900s.

But yeah it's probably only a post modern game in the sense that it's "sarcastic" and not some sort of well founded rejection of the concept of objective or universal truth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't New Sincerity the thing among the insufferable chattering classes and the bored rich young people who follow them?

The second ending of YIIK is basically all about New Sincerity and why its right, yes.

TGLT posted:

I mean, take that up with the root problem. Postmodernism is called that because it came after and in response to the Modernism movement. The eternal modern of the early 1900s.

But yeah it's probably only a post modern game in the sense that it's "sarcastic" and not some sort of well founded rejection of the concept of objective or universal truth.

The game both in character opinion and its cosmology has an objective truth; the game is explicitly not postmodern and the title is intended to mislead

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Does new sincerity have any actual theoretic or academic basis, or is it purely thinkpiece material?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Discendo Vox posted:

Does new sincerity have any actual theoretic or academic basis, or is it purely thinkpiece material?

What does your heart tell you?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Deadguy2322 posted:

What does your heart tell you?

It started as thinkpiece material, but some especially myopic crit theorist tried to redefine it in terms that would support their cause, leading it to have a horrific half-life in the academy when it gets co-opted by the right wing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like "New Sincerity" is just a thing that people talk about when they've gone so up their own rear end that the smell has started to bother them, but they're too far in to turn around so their only way out is to just keep pushing forward until they come back out the mouth.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like "New Sincerity" is just a thing that people talk about when they've gone so up their own rear end that the smell has started to bother them, but they're too far in to turn around so their only way out is to just keep pushing forward until they come back out the mouth.

Pretty much!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Good talk everyone now lets dissect how Undertale is the first notable example of Metamodernism

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I liked it when Earthbound didn't declare it was a philosophical game on its face and let unsuspecting kids just enjoy it as a goofy, quirky game, but under the hood it was written by a modern day philosopher and had a very upbeat message after a very dark journey.

I don't like it when a supposed spiritual Earthbound successor calls itself philosophical in the subtitle. Talk about missing the point.

(I'm referring to YIIK here, not Undertale, if that's not clear.)

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 30, 2019

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Did Undertale have a subtitle?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I vaguely remember it being called 'The RPG where nobody has to die' but I might be thinking of something else.

A big part of Undertale's appeal is that it's best approached knowing absolutely nothing about it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"The Friendly RPG Where Nobody Has To Die," but only in its Steam Store trailer.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That was really more of a tagline than a subtitle.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

On the other hand, holy poo poo did Lisa: The Painful RPG live up to its name AND provide excellent satire of most modern martial arts dojos and Wrestling!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I have no problem with subtitles in general, it's just a bit foreboding when any property really wants to tell you how, like, totally deep it is in the title.

Really Pants posted:

"The Friendly RPG Where Nobody Has To Die," but only in its Steam Store trailer.

I think that was the original Kickstarter concept, but as time went on Toby decided to just let the game speak for itself, especially as the theme of the game really became about player choice, so giving it that subtitle would kind of lock players into thinking they should be going the pacifist route or else they're doing it wrong. Which is technically true, but the point of the game is to teach you that by letting you make the "wrong" choice.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Spec Ops: Just loving Turn Back.