Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That seems like normal Pittsburgh behavior to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

euphronius posted:

That seems like normal Pittsburgh behavior to me
Yeah, but... can she actually get us? You can't find someone using just plates, right? I'm not going to come home to a brick through the window, right?

We didn't hit her or anything, so she can't file an insurance claim against us? Like I said, I'm not sure what we did to provoke the behavior.

Edit: basically I'm creeped out by someone taking my picture and I'm probably overreacting.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tibalt posted:

Yeah, but... can she actually get us? You can't find someone using just plates, right? I'm not going to come home to a brick through the window, right?

We didn't hit her or anything, so she can't file an insurance claim against us? Like I said, I'm not sure what we did to provoke the behavior.

Edit: basically I'm creeped out by someone taking my picture and I'm probably overreacting.

Did you see the Netflix documentary MANIAC where Emma Stone 's character went to the DMV and tricked the lady into bringing up someone's address using their plate number and then read it off the reflection in her glasses

That's all you have to do, so yeah you're in trouble

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Publicdata.com doesn’t have PA available on their DMV lookup by plate number, so that’s nice. You’d be in trouble if you had CO, MS, TX, WV, or WI plates though. Always carry a spare set of plates and swap regularly.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
What exactly is she going to get you for?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tibalt posted:

yelled that she's going to get us, and drove off.

Was this her, OP?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Look Sir Droids posted:

What exactly is she going to get you for?

Based on the concern about finding a home address, I think OP is more worried about being gotten, like, personally.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Bad Munki posted:

Based on the concern about finding a home address, I think OP is more worried about being gotten, like, personally.
Well, that. Or filing an insurance claim against me, or filing a police report, or suing me. You know... getting me. I'm willing to roll the dice on a curse that makes me get constantly thinner, though.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Tibalt posted:

Well, that. Or filing an insurance claim against me, or filing a police report, or suing me. You know... getting me. I'm willing to roll the dice on a curse that makes me get constantly thinner, though.

I’d worry more about the Lamia were I you.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Tibalt posted:

But like....what did you do to make her mad?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Aside from accosting you for no reason, did the person seem unwell? There was a guy around here a few years ago who was convinced he was being gang-stalked (a paranoid delusion that everyone is following you around for nefarious purposes) while driving. He made several impassioned posts on the local subreddit begging for people to help him take pictures of all the cars that were "following" him wherever he went.

Apparently this delusion is becoming more prevalent due to Facebook and Youtube echo chambers. https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/aeknya/the-nightmarish-online-world-of-gang-stalking

The whole thing is really sad, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. Maybe you cut her off without realizing it and triggered her road rage. But if she really freaked out for absolutely no reason, something like this would be my first guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Don't worry, they can't get you till next time.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

But like....what did you do to make her mad?
I don't know! When she pulled around me into the intersection, I assumed she was just so impatient that she wanted to be at the front of the line.

95% of Americans believe they're an above average driver and all... but I'm pretty sure I would have realized if I had cut her off or almost hit her. I think I'm a defensive driver.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tibalt posted:

95% of Americans believe they're an above average driver and all... but I'm pretty sure I would have realized if I had cut her off or almost hit her. I think I'm a defensive driver.

That's silly. Close to 50% of us are above average drivers. :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No way. 90% of the driving skill is held by 1% of the drivers.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

No way. 90% of the driving skill is held by 1% of the drivers.

...Are we certain this isn't the case?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
We are the 99%

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think the actual number is something like 90% of drivers surveyed considering themselves in the top 10 or 25% of drivers, by skill level, which is lol

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can someone advise on what may be considered “joint property” in the case of my widowed Mother In Law?

She’s in Pennsylvania, has been cohabitating with her husband since ~2012 and was married in November. He died New Years Day with no will and two children from a previous marriage.

Is there a case to be made that the home they live in, vehicles they had, etc, should be considered joint property prior to the estate probate process? The funds for the mortgage and car payments came from joint accounts, but the cars are in his name and the house is in his name as it was from prior to their relationship.

I’ve read up on the standard estate laws, but I’m trying to figure out if anything can be considered joint property while he was alive instead of her having to split essentially everything with his kids.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Can someone advise on what may be considered “joint property” in the case of my widowed Mother In Law?

She’s in Pennsylvania, has been cohabitating with her husband since ~2012 and was married in November. He died New Years Day with no will and two children from a previous marriage.

Is there a case to be made that the home they live in, vehicles they had, etc, should be considered joint property prior to the estate probate process? The funds for the mortgage and car payments came from joint accounts, but the cars are in his name and the house is in his name as it was from prior to their relationship.

I’ve read up on the standard estate laws, but I’m trying to figure out if anything can be considered joint property while he was alive instead of her having to split essentially everything with his kids.

Multiple (but hopefully not adversarial) parties and money at stake. Add that the paperwork and wishes of the deceased are pretty unclear. That is definitely a "get a lawyer" situation. The only big question is whether you will be able to get away with paying one lawyer as a family to straighten out the paperwork.

Out of curiosity, have you discussed who is going to be handling the process? Is you mother in law on speaking terms with her husband's other kids? Are you?

Munin fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 28, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Why do you think she has a claim to anything that doesn’t have her name on it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Girlfriends are not covered by intestacy

Unless the girlfriend is related lmao.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Girlfriends are not covered by intestacy

Unless the girlfriend is related lmao.

Says they were married in November.

Check your local state laws for phrases like "marital share" but more importantly talk to a lawyer in your area.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How old was the guy when he died

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did he add in that they were married ? That wasn’t in the first time I read it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Did he add in that they were married ? That wasn’t in the first time I read it.

drink your coffee man, it's in the quote you quoted :P

That said it's technically possible for there still to be valid common law marriages, no state currently has legal common law marriage but it was legal in at least one state up until the 2000's so there can still be some extant marriages from the before time

(proving it being the bitch, of course)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Huh. Well I’ve had that case except for the getting married at the last minute part. Well I had that case too but in a different case. This case is like a mad jumble of different cases.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She should hire a lawyer and attempt to be the Administratrix of the estate most likely

A lot depends on the dollar values and how much the kids hate her

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

drink your coffee man, it's in the quote you quoted :P

That said it's technically possible for there still to be valid common law marriages, no state currently has legal common law marriage but it was legal in at least one state up until the 2000's so there can still be some extant marriages from the before time

(proving it being the bitch, of course)

Texas still has common law marriage

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Common law marriage was abolished in pa if it happened after 1/1/2005 which is not long ago and there must still be some cases of it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

EwokEntourage posted:

Oklahoma, too.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

Hell yeah we do, cousin

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Another hypothetical, but based on a request that came into my work, today:

Legal sent a request to have a disclaimer for 3rd party links on our website changed. Right now it says that links with a particular image "will send" you to an external site. The request is to change that wording to "may send".

Despite this being wrong (we only ever put that 3rd party image on links that exist outside our site, I'm trying to figure out what the actual legal risk could be. Like, what damages could someone suffer if they think they're on our site but they're actually on someone else's.

I know this is a legal CYA I'm just not sure what legal is covering themselves against.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

null_pointer posted:

I know this is a legal CYA I'm just not sure what legal is covering themselves against.

Lawyers, like haikus,
may not always make much sense
refrigerator

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lawyers, like haikus,
may not always make much sense
refrigerator

Internal counsel
Justifying existence
Dictated not read

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Haikus aside, is this really something ginned up by a corporate lawyer with too much time on their hands? If I resisted and said "That doesn't make any sense, what risk are we actually mitigating?" would they start to stammer?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

null_pointer posted:

Haikus aside, is this really something ginned up by a corporate lawyer with too much time on their hands? If I resisted and said "That doesn't make any sense, what risk are we actually mitigating?" would they start to stammer?

The process of arguing with somebody about their baseless claim costs money.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

Another hypothetical, but based on a request that came into my work, today:

Legal sent a request to have a disclaimer for 3rd party links on our website changed. Right now it says that links with a particular image "will send" you to an external site. The request is to change that wording to "may send".

Despite this being wrong (we only ever put that 3rd party image on links that exist outside our site, I'm trying to figure out what the actual legal risk could be. Like, what damages could someone suffer if they think they're on our site but they're actually on someone else's.

Legal probably cares more about being 100% accurate, all the time, in every conceivable scenario, than about whether it matters.

But god only knows if some recent Court opinion came down where this was an issue, like where the purchaser thought the link they went to was unaffiliated with the original site, and raised a breach of contract claim about a transaction there, but it turns out they never left the domain of the original seller or something.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have employment questions. I live in Michigan, looking at working remotely for companies in Nashville and Seattle. What laws should I be aware of? I'm very mercenary about jobs because Michigan is "right-to-work". Is that the case elsewhere? Are the extra taxes? Idk what to ask specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Careful Drums posted:

What laws should I be aware of?

All the laws