Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Faded Mars posted:

Can someone change the D&D CanPol thread subtitle to "It's about Venezuela now," please?

actually, it's about ethics in canadian mining practices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
actually, you see, it;'s

not

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So where's John Turner hiding with his opinion on the Meng Wanzhou arrest? I really hope he offers one in public to see if we can score an Emeritus Liberal John Trifecta.

"Ambassador McCallum says he ‘misspoke’ when he suggested Huawei CFO had strong case to avoid extradition to U.S. "

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

John McCallum said that poo poo because of diplomatic gamesmanship and lol that anyone took any of it seriously in Canada.

It was quite clearly an olive branch to the chinese, roughly "we'll let your CFO out so they can go back to China and we take the heat from the americans but we need to know what we're getting in returnÈ by my reading.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Defense Watch Watch

Tens of millions paid out due to bungled Canadian Forces procurement, but government says details are secret

So-

Canada needs to buy military trucks and so we put out a tender and had to pick between oshkosh and mack. When we did this procurement we of course had to specify what our selection criteria were. Oshkosh met that criteria the best but we of course went with mack, and Oshkosh was like "um WTF, our trucks met your criteria better, don't make us take you out to the woodshed again* but of course the DND was all "nuh-uh!" And Oshkosh - used international trade laws to get the decision revered. Of course just because you lost in court doesn't mean you have to listen** and the DND went on buying trucks from Mack and appealed the decision. The appeal was given up as dumb and hopeless so Canada hosed up buying military trucks **again** and has to pay extra money to Oshkosh **again** but the details of Canada and its three government departments involved in procurement being pig-fuckingly dumb and petty are of course, SECRET

David Pugliese with the strong headline: Payout cost for bungled gov’t truck contact is secret…the reason for that is also secret

National Defense HQ has been caught hiding evidence in the Mark Norman case, making sure his name is never mentioned in DND documents so that any FOIA docs Norman's defense attornys file find "nothing." Oh, and this, let me just copy/paste it:

quote:

Just as disturbing is that fact the judge believed there was a need to protect the witness from reprisals from federal officials and those at National Defence headquarters. To do that, the judge ordered a publication ban so the name of the military witness – for now anyways – would not be revealed publicly.

Think about this for a minute.T his isn’t some Mafia or narcos trial. This isn’t some snitch who needs to be protected from his fellow gangsters.

This is a military member who knew what the right thing to do was and came forward on his own. He didn’t trust the Canadian Forces system to protect him. He didn’t trust the senior military and defense leadership, which had already determined that Norman was guilty of wrongdoing, even though no internal investigation into the vice admiral’s actions were conducted.

The witness didn’t go to the National Investigation Service, the internal DND police force that often finds it challenging to gather evidence that might implicate senior leaders. He didn’t go to the Public Sector Integrity Commissioner, a troubled organization which is considered a joke among whistleblowers. And he didn’t go to the Information Commissioner of Canada, the organization that oversees the Access to Information law but on that is gaining an increasing reputation among those who use the process as being too cozy with the senior bureaucracy.

This is a situation where it seems the courts don’t believe Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan, Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Jon Vance, and Deputy Minister Jody Thomas can even guarantee basic workplace protection to those individuals who want to follow an ethical and legal path.

**It of course means exactly that unless you are a smoothbrained senior civil servant

*possibly because the DND was butthurt that the last time they tried to buy trucks, they put out a tender and after Oshkosh had met it they got a crayon bid on notepaper that was promising to build the trucks in canada and so we pretended they were the winner without checking if the crayon submission company could actually deliver, and then Oshkosh took the DND out to the woodshed of international trade laws and got the decision reversed, and so we bought Oshkosh trucks and the bureaucrats who were in charge of this were forcibly reminded that these fees were directly a result of their own incompetence and so the "mandarins" (as they still style themselves with literally zero irony) did the only thing they can do aside gently caress up simple pronouncements and be dumb, they held a grudge, and said OSHKOSH WILL PAY, even though it is in fact Canada who payed

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

our military is so bad they can't even grift properly

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Libs gonna lib

Save us jagmeet

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Reality Winter posted:

Save us jagmeet

Jagmeet "Tha Jaguar" Singh posted:

The DND is facing a procurement crisis and government can play a positive role by working with its organizational partners to provide support.

No government organization should act unilaterally and we must all support a democratic DND with free and fair procurement.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
jagmeet, as well as this entire country, is poo poo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

how is DND democratic? I didn’t think the military did a lot of voting

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

how is DND democratic? I didn’t think the military did a lot of voting

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1088241249763688448?s=20

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ah, I see

ninja: like, I see the reference. I don’t think I understand the point that’s being made, but I’m ok with that

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t think I understand the point that’s being made, but I’m ok with that

punished milkman posted:

jagmeet, as well as this entire country, is poo poo

just lol if u think Jagmeet is going to do anything to upset the status quo

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Friendship ended with NDP, now Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) is my best friend

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Jagmeet wont do anything as his party sails to a 3rd place finish and he gets booted in favor of Thomas mulcairs daughter

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

Reality Winter posted:

Jagmeet wont do anything as his party sails to a 3rd place finish and he gets booted in favor of Thomas mulcairs daughter

This is almost prescient, I can see it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What the NDP needs is a bold new leader who will take us further to the centre

- every NDP leadership voter

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
The time for Charlie Angus has come

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

funny song about politics posted:

The time for Charlie Angus has come

Big Changus

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

A Russian troll farm posted:

Friendship ended with NDP, now Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) is my best friend

post username combo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Another Bill posted:

John McCallum said that poo poo because of diplomatic gamesmanship and lol that anyone took any of it seriously in Canada.

It was quite clearly an olive branch to the chinese, roughly "we'll let your CFO out so they can go back to China and we take the heat from the americans but we need to know what we're getting in returnÈ by my reading.

Bahaha look how wrong I was boy I'm dumb

E:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CityNews/status/1089250614176071680

Another Bill has issued a correction as of 23:49 on Jan 26, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jagmeet is such an insanely boring human being for a dude who looks that cool

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

jagmeet is such an insanely boring human being for a dude who looks that cool

I've always been saying that Gurratan "gently caress the Police" Singh was the better choice.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Hand Knit posted:

Big Changus

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ttrudeau is trumps aka putins puppet. Sad. Free the pretty huawaei lady

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Blog Best Fighter for Canada (admittedly niche but does a really good job covering the topic) releases its estimate for 2019 as to how the contenders are doing. The F-35 is increasingly viable as purchase cost and operational costs continue to decline, [and LockMart has connections thanks to combat ship decision from a few months ago] Eurofighter Typhoon has even stronger pol connections as Airbus now sells Bombarider C300 as the A220, which means lots more will be sold. Saab Gripen remains a viable dark horse.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

xtal posted:

I've always been saying that Gurratan "gently caress the Police" Singh was the better choice.

with that slogan he has my vote

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If canada cared at all about climate change we would have sent jtf2 to brasilia already

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was going to post this anyway because lol at -50 windchill, but why not immediately after a climate change post? ;)

Today's high in Vancouver is a balmy 9° C, with the same forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday. It hasn't snowed here this winter and probably won't given we're nearly into February, but there were a few mornings with frost between December and January.

How you doin', Winnipeg goons in particular?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

its awesome to be honest

i love the frigid cold - just wear a hat and scarf if you're gonna be out for a while

plus i love driving on winter roads with my studded tires

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

James Baud posted:

I was going to post this anyway because lol at -50 windchill, but why not immediately after a climate change post? ;)

Today's high in Vancouver is a balmy 9° C, with the same forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday. It hasn't snowed here this winter and probably won't given we're nearly into February, but there were a few mornings with frost between December and January.

im enjoying not needing to run a fire 24/7 to survive

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

James Baud posted:

-16 this morning. Had a few mornings that were true -28 when I got to my car. We had a big dump of really hard icy snow this weekend, so the plows are out and doing their thing.

It's a far cry from the true -35s of my youth. I remember being a kid and dealing with savagely cold temperatures and blizzards in October.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

James Baud posted:

-9, -16 with the windchill here in Hamilton. Real glad I’m still convalescing and get to stay home from all this.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

James Baud posted:

-28 on the thermometer outside ottawa this morning, luckily my $400k property came with a 1000sqft garage for my pickup.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/richard680news/status/1085931146095976448

People are rightfully focusing on how insanely awful the OSAP change is, but the "no student fees" is a big deal too. The point of the move is to deny campus organizations funding. I remember about a decade ago when people from Queen's snuck someone into an OPC youth meeting and got a recording of people there (most notably Kevin Wiener, who sometimes gets RTed in the Canadian politics twitter hellsphere) talking about a campaign to make student fees non-mandatory with the goal of gutting OPIRG.

I know this is from a million years ago, but I think they're gonna need to change the acronym to OSNAP

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
global warming is 100% fake

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
anthropogenic climate change? i don't believe it exists, he says as a polar vortex freezes him in place like a lovely disaster movie

actually, canada is a net carbon sink, because of all the trees whispers through his frozen lips

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol its p fuckin warm out

im kinda jelly of the super cold, I really like that

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's not awfully cold out but the wind really, really sucks. When you get out of the wind, which is hard because everything is god drat flat, it's only in the -20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Now I'm a bit worried because it's -25 and supposedly going to be dropping to minus loving 41 and that's not wind chill motherfuckers.

And I have a friend who has mental illnesses and a tendency to go do stupid poo poo as if he's indestructable, and he's MIA for about 24h now. Nobody knows where he is. The last contact anyone has was him asking what the temperature was going to be.