Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have an apartment with the following three wires coming from the ceiling:

Number of conductors "3" with PE -

There are two of these wire sets coming from the ceiling so I installed a 2 x bulb sockets. One of the fixtures works perfectly fine but the other one is a little finicky. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning or I come back from work, the light doesn't turn on. It doesn't always happen and it's quite random when it does but it's been happening since I installed it a few weeks ago. I replaced the bulb socket with a new one and cleaned the wires since there was some crud on it but the problem is still happening. The way I fix this is by hitting the bulb socket with my broom and then the light will magically turn back on and stay that way until I turn it off for an extended period of time.

What could be causing this issue? It's clearly not a socket issue since I replaced it and the problem is still happening. Is it a wiring issue? The 2 light bulbs that I installed are LED and were both bought at the same time less than a year ago so it's probably not the light bulb. What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Busy Bee posted:

The 2 light bulbs that I installed are LED and were both bought at the same time less than a year ago so it's probably not the light bulb.
Could just be a problem within the circuitry of the bulb. Just switch them to check.

Busy Bee posted:

Is it a wiring issue?
If it's not the bulb, most likely. And every time you are "starting" your lamp with the broom, a little arch jumps over, welding the wires temporarily together and burning off a little bit of copper each time. When the wire gets thin enough, it can get hot enough to melt things around it or even set them on fire. Bad cable connections should concern you and I would avoid using the broom-fix until it is fixed for real.

Check the connections where the wires are clamped/screwed/nutted together.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Javid posted:

Just gonna shotgun this "issue" here and see if anybody has a clue.

My mom insists that since they installed her :siren:smart meter:siren: that there's a high-pitched whining noise audible in her entire house, but centered on the HVAC intake in the hallway. She is so annoyed by this noise that she ate the opt-out fee to get the meter replaced, which did not alleviate the sound. Obviously, she's now doubling down on it being the meter. I don't hear it, her boyfriend does and so does the electrician she called. At this point my theory is they both agreed with her just to end the argument, which is an effect she definitely has on people, but I'm treating it like a real problem until proven otherwise. It also seems at least plausible that it's a capacitor in some random piece of electronics that's going bad, or something.

I'm going to go over there now and shut off one breaker at a time and see if it stops at any point, or if not, we'll know it's definitely upstream of the breaker panel, at the very least. But I'm curious if anyone has any better ideas.

Does her thermostat have an electronic display with a backlight? Because if it does, it's that. Mine does it too.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

Could just be a problem within the circuitry of the bulb. Just switch them to check.

If it's not the bulb, most likely. And every time you are "starting" your lamp with the broom, a little arch jumps over, welding the wires temporarily together and burning off a little bit of copper each time. When the wire gets thin enough, it can get hot enough to melt things around it or even set them on fire. Bad cable connections should concern you and I would avoid using the broom-fix until it is fixed for real.

Check the connections where the wires are clamped/screwed/nutted together.

Got it, thanks for the tips. Seems like the light is working fine now though after I reconnected everything but maybe once in a while I have to fix it with the broom.

The socket that I have looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/4MyVOJZ

This is a dumb question but what is the correct installation method when putting in the copper wire from the ceiling into the 2 pole terminal strip? I'm assuming that I keep everything intact for the preinstalled wires that are in the strip but when I install the wire from the ceiling, is the intention to have those wires touching the wires already installed in the terminal strip? I know I'm over thinking this but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to things like this.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Javid posted:

Just gonna shotgun this "issue" here and see if anybody has a clue.

My mom insists that since they installed her :siren:smart meter:siren: that there's a high-pitched whining noise audible in her entire house, but centered on the HVAC intake in the hallway. She is so annoyed by this noise that she ate the opt-out fee to get the meter replaced, which did not alleviate the sound. Obviously, she's now doubling down on it being the meter. I don't hear it, her boyfriend does and so does the electrician she called. At this point my theory is they both agreed with her just to end the argument, which is an effect she definitely has on people, but I'm treating it like a real problem until proven otherwise. It also seems at least plausible that it's a capacitor in some random piece of electronics that's going bad, or something.

I'm going to go over there now and shut off one breaker at a time and see if it stops at any point, or if not, we'll know it's definitely upstream of the breaker panel, at the very least. But I'm curious if anyone has any better ideas.

quick question is this a picture of your mother

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Holy poo poo

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
No, but it's an accurate depiction of the level of pants-making GBS threads rage people get whipped into over the loving meters. I don't get it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I imagine that the Venn diagram of people who don't like "smart" meters, and people who don't like utility employees on their property monthly to read the meter, is a perfect circle.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

angryrobots posted:

I imagine that the Venn diagram of people who don't like "smart" meters, and people who don't like utility employees on their property monthly to read the meter, is a perfect circle.

So a circle with a big fat pink "gently caress" written in it?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

To be entirely fair, the power company here seems to exclusively hire morons, so I can imagine someone growing to assume they're just lying to us at every opportunity. They wound up breaking (and, months later, paying for) an irrigation pipe, because the meter reader decided the cones indicating the road across a particular field were obviously for other people, and ran a pickup over the thing. OR, they'll carefully schedule and remind you of an appointment at 3 PM on a specific day to swap the meter, and then the contractor shows up at 10 AM when you aren't ready, and either just leaves (if there's an access issue you have to be home for) or just unplugs your poo poo without warning. Fun all around.

However, the smart meters are loving great, and prevent power company morons from driving across the field anymore, so that's a bonus.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Busy Bee posted:

This is a dumb question but what is the correct installation method when putting in the copper wire from the ceiling into the 2 pole terminal strip? I'm assuming that I keep everything intact for the preinstalled wires that are in the strip but when I install the wire from the ceiling, is the intention to have those wires touching the wires already installed in the terminal strip? I know I'm over thinking this but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to things like this.
No, because the part where the cables go in conduct electricity. It can't hurt, of course. Btw, not trying to be insulting here (little bit tired), you stripped off the insulation of the incoming cable for the part that goes into the terminal strip?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

No, because the part where the cables go in conduct electricity. It can't hurt, of course. Btw, not trying to be insulting here (little bit tired), you stripped off the insulation of the incoming cable for the part that goes into the terminal strip?

Yup, the insulation was stripped off. So I took your advice and switched the bulb and it seems that the issue is the bulb itself. I turned on the light today after being away for a while and the bulb that I originally switched failed to turn on on the new bulb socket for a few seconds. I ordered a new one online so that should fix the problem. I appreciate your help!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So I'm putting a new sub panel in my garage (old one only had 4 spaces and was only 110v)

It's a Murray LC2040B1100P:

I want to replace the left grounding bar with another insulated neutral bar so that I have neutral access on both sides of the panel for GFCI breaker pigtails.

This appears to be the right part and I'm guessing I just bond the two bars with the same conductor I'm using for the panel? It's 60A fed so I'm using 6AWG CU.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 31, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

I'm guessing I just bond the two bars with the same conductor I'm using for the panel? It's 60A fed so I'm using 6AWG CU.

Yep, you got it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

So I'm putting a new sub panel in my garage (old one only had 4 spaces and was only 110v)

It's a Murray LC2040B1100P:

I want to replace the left grounding bar with another insulated neutral bar so that I have neutral access on both sides of the panel for GFCI breaker pigtails.

This appears to be the right part and I'm guessing I just bond the two bars with the same conductor I'm using for the panel? It's 60A fed so I'm using 6AWG CU.

Replace? That's the wrong word. You'd need to move it and put in a second neutral bar.

If you're buying a panel specifically for GFCI breakers, than maybe look into one that supports plug on neutral. That way, you don't even need to bother with the neutral pigtails.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 2, 2019

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Busy Bee posted:

after I reconnected everything

Busy Bee posted:

So I took your advice and switched the bulb and it seems that the issue is the bulb itself.

Always start with the easiest steps that are the most lazy ;) I'm glad you found the problem!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Replace? That's the wrong word. You'd need to move it and put in a second neutral bar.

If you're buying a panel specifically for GFCI breakers, than maybe look into one that supports plug on neutral. That way, you don't even need to both with the neutral pigtails.

Yeah.... Or why on Earth ( :v: ) do you need neutral access on both sides of the panel? How many GFCI circuits are you planning to install?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

kid sinister posted:

If you're buying a panel specifically for GFCI breakers, than maybe look into one that supports plug on neutral. That way, you don't even need to both with the neutral pigtails.

right right, im not getting rid of the grounding bar, just moving it and putting a neutral where it used to be

im going to stick with the one I have because I already have a Murray panel in the house so my breakers will be interchangeable. as nice as plug on neutral is, there's probably only going to be 10 circuits or so in the panel so I can live with a few pigtails

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've got a bedroom that has gone dark, both outlets and the overhead light. I've gone and reset the breakers in both panels in the house a couple times with no luck. I have GFCI on both plugs because it is an old house and they came with ungrounded two prongs. Pushing the buttons on the outlets does nothing.
All the other power in the house is fine. Does this sound like a dead GFCI or something else? :iiam:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I like turtles posted:

I've got a bedroom that has gone dark, both outlets and the overhead light. I've gone and reset the breakers in both panels in the house a couple times with no luck. I have GFCI on both plugs because it is an old house and they came with ungrounded two prongs. Pushing the buttons on the outlets does nothing.
All the other power in the house is fine. Does this sound like a dead GFCI or something else? :iiam:

Do you have a multimeter? Test for voltage at the breaker itself, and if there is power there, then test the supply terminals of the outlets.

E: easier test, turn the breaker off and then go press the GFCI reset buttons on the outlets. Have someone else turn the breaker on and see if the GFCIs trip. If they do, something is wrong with the circuit but the GFCIs are working like they should and protecting you from it.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 2, 2019

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Do you have a multimeter? Test for voltage at the breaker itself, and if there is power there, then test the supply terminals of the outlets.

All the breakers seem to test fine - the earlier GFCI in the circuit shows 1-2 volts, the one later shows absolutely nothing, and the light switch shows nothing. Bad outlet, or something else? I can go get a replacement GFCI tomorrow

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Replaced the GFCI outlet, no luck. Got an appointment with my electrician for Tuesday since I don't know wtf.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You have an upstream GFCI in a stupid place that's killing that power. Check behind refrigerators, under bathroom vanities, in the attic, etc.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Romex in spray foam insulation: it's okay to embed, right? I don't have to run conduit, etc. instead?

Specifics: I'm doing more wiring in my shop, dropping in a couple 240V 20A outlets for some bigger tools. I'd like to just go up and over through my attic, but they're going to be doing some expanding closed-cell foam insulation up there this spring, and I want to make sure I'm not breaking a rule by just fixing my wires up in there and then forever entombing them in foam.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

Bad Munki posted:

Romex in spray foam insulation: it's okay to embed, right? I don't have to run conduit, etc. instead?

Specifics: I'm doing more wiring in my shop, dropping in a couple 240V 20A outlets for some bigger tools. I'd like to just go up and over through my attic, but they're going to be doing some expanding closed-cell foam insulation up there this spring, and I want to make sure I'm not breaking a rule by just fixing my wires up in there and then forever entombing them in foam.

Yeah, it's fine to cover NM w/ spray foam.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just wanted a sanity check on my plan before I went off and bought the necessary supplies. All of our basement lights are on a single switch, which means that the lights in the unfinished portion are on unnecessarily when we're down there. I'd like to rectify this situation as well as add a switch for a light in a closet that currently just has a plug-in light. Ceiling is drop tile and we do not plan to change that or finish the unfinished area. These lights are the only thing on the circuit as far as I can tell.

The plan is to pull back the feed line from the existing light switch and split it out in a junction box to the existing switch as well as the two new switches for the unfinished area + closet.

- Since the junction box will be accessible above the drop ceiling, is that acceptable?
- For 14/2 romex using external cable clamps, the box should be at a minimum 18cu in?
- As long as I get large enough wire nuts, is that acceptable for joining four conductor wires together?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If I may offer an alternate suggestion, the time and money you spend on not wasting electricity could alternately be spent on putting some LED bulbs in, which will be sufficiently efficient that you won't much care if they're wasting electricity.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They have motion sensitive led bulbs as well

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I already have the 14/2, so it’ll be like $20 in materials if that. I already have LED bulbs in the finished area boob lights, but for the unfinished area and closet I would need to replace large fluorescent fixtures, so that adds up quick. Definitely in the plan long term but we have more important house projects to spend money on.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

devmd01 posted:

- Since the junction box will be accessible above the drop ceiling, is that acceptable?
- For 14/2 romex using external cable clamps, the box should be at a minimum 18cu in?
- As long as I get large enough wire nuts, is that acceptable for joining four conductor wires together?

1. Yes
2. Yes, 18 cu. in. is minimum (and fine) for four 14/2's and no device.
3. Yes, tan Ideal wire nuts would work.

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 6, 2019

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

Blackbeer posted:

Yeah, it's fine to cover NM w/ spray foam.

Really? You aren't allowed to embed NM in other materials (concrete, plaster, fill,etc.), would be surprised if an AHJ was cool with burying it in foam, especially if not physically protected.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Special A posted:

Really? You aren't allowed to embed NM in other materials (concrete, plaster, fill,etc.), would be surprised if an AHJ was cool with burying it in foam, especially if not physically protected.

That's because there's a specific code section that disallows it in those materials.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

Special A posted:

Nothing in the NEC about it, and I haven't heard about any issues with doing it. About half the new homes I wire (and get inspected) are stick built and foam insulated with NM wiring.

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 6, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If I were you, I'd install conduit, then run the necessary conductors in that. The spray foam shouldn't collapse it, and you can add/replace the wiring if needed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sharkytm posted:

If I were you, I'd install conduit, then run the necessary conductors in that. The spray foam shouldn't collapse it, and you can add/replace the wiring if needed.

I don’t know anything about code, but I would absolutely do this. Future proofing as best you can.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I wouldn't entomb wiring in spray foam regardless of code, you're basically betting you'll never have to touch it again at that point. Conduit you can pull bad wires out of and new ones into would be easier.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, in this case, it'd only be entombed across the ceiling portion in the attic. It's a steel barn, with the typical profile. The walls, I'm doing batts and cladding. In the attic, I'll just be spraying. So stuff will run up the inside of the walls, entire accessible and adjustable, and then across the ceiling entombed, and then down the other side, accessible and adjustable. It'd be plenty easy to move an outlet around then, I'd have a minimum 10' of wire to play with that isn't in foam.

I'm pretty confident in not needing to move these wires, though, but in the rare event I did, I'd either junction off them, or abandon. I can always run new wires up there on the surface, too, it's not a finished space up there or anything. I'll see about getting a picture tomorrow.

Either way, nothing is set in stone yet, just wanted to know my options.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Conduit would let you add fiber later for the barn datacenter you don't realize you need yet

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I already ran cat6 and coax there, that pops out from the not-to-be-foamed part of the walls, I'm good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Javid posted:

I wouldn't entomb wiring in spray foam regardless of code, you're basically betting you'll never have to touch it again at that point. Conduit you can pull bad wires out of and new ones into would be easier.

How is it different than Romex that's stapled in a wall cavity? Or is between floors in an inaccessible chase?

I'm not saying you're wrong per se, just that your issue with it is already the reality of new work.