Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ola posted:

I was wondering about that, isn't there a practical limit to how many lenses there can be? We're used to the modern age of furiously geysering out new versions of old products, but the lens ranges of ye olden days were fairly static once a particular mount was fully furnished. Barring major technology changes, there's only so many lenses a particular mount needs, it's not like you need to fill out every possible combination of focal lengths and apertures.

They just add a new sensor with more megapixels, then develop yet another new line of the same focal lengths but claim they've been optimised for higher megapixels...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the advice, thread - my eBay bidding page now looks like this -

- and I have a (checks listing) PENTAX SMC TAKUMAR 50mm F1.4 M42 Lens **Excellent+** on the way from Japan. Will report back with some blurry basic pictures of someone walking down the street ASAP.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Not really feeling the new plus size Olympus. Hand-held Hi-Res is awesome, but the sensor seems to be the same old crap that's already in the E-M1 Mk II, and the size and weight advantage of m43 is now completely negated. No PEN-F successor on the horizon either. gently caress. I;m seriously thinking about thos new Panasonic S-cameras now.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
If your complaint is size and weight then maybe consider that the people who got their hands on the S1 and S1R already say that they're both comically huge compared to even DSLRs? And I don't think that we know for sure it's the same sensor from the em1mk2 yet, it's just the same mp count.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Atlatl posted:

If your complaint is size and weight then maybe consider that the people who got their hands on the S1 and S1R already say that they're both comically huge compared to even DSLRs? And I don't think that we know for sure it's the same sensor from the em1mk2 yet, it's just the same mp count.

Seriously? I thought they were basically G9-sized? Ah gently caress.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

everyone has been skipping over the 7.5 stops of stabilization which beats the current 5.5 or 6.5 with dual.

that's a lot of ibis

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Yeah 6.5 stops lets me shoot disgustingly slow anyways, I'm not sure what 7.5 would be like.

Wengy posted:

Seriously? I thought they were basically G9-sized? Ah gently caress.

The lenses are all roughly the same size as their Leica counterparts, which are gigantic.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Eh, I will at least check it out, don't get me wrong. Already have the 12-100 and everything. I just want actual IQ improvements, not just speed improvements that mainly cater to sports and wildlife shooters, two things I'm not.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I bet the first global/organic/whatever sensor with no rolling shutter and curtain-free flash sync on an ILC will be MFT-size. Although I guess it depends on if Sony or Panasonic are the first to market with their solution. Sony might not feed a groundbreaking sensor like that to Olympus before putting it in an a-series mirrorless. But it always seems like new sensor features are energy and resource hogs that need to be iterated up to work on an FF body without needing a bunch of fans and heat sinks and poo poo (case in point, Canon C-series 4K cameras).

Or maybe with the new LeiSigPan consortium we'll see a crossover MFT ILC with an X3 sensor. There are still some cool directions that the Micro 4/3 world could develop in.

I do wish that Oly or Panasonic had pushed out reasonably specified and decently priced telephoto lenses about four years before they seriously started to pursue filling out their ranges on the long end. Olympus cameras especially seem like they were designed to be awesome durable and rugged sports/wildlife cameras, they just didn't have the lenses to go along with those designs for a long-rear end time.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
Well, the thing has been formally announced and some reviews are now available. While as I've said I'm 100% not in the market for something like the E-M1X, I think it's an interesting product and something I'll probably follow along with to satisfy my curiosity.

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/em1x.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AffPoX5VZ7E

They seem to have also announced a "M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO" along with it - apparently has a teleconverter built in that can bring it up to 500mm. This can supposedly be combined with a 2x teleconverter they're also now developing to give one effectively 1000mm of reach before you even get into full frame equivalence talk.

Here's the rest of the lens roadmap:

A little bummed out that whatever new primes they have in mind are all apparently in the PRO line - would prefer more options or iterations amongst the smaller and cheaper primes, even if that space is already quite fleshed out.

Prude fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 24, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

so I fully recognize and admit that the EM1X is niche as all hell. It's really expensive. It's probably still pretty rough at higher ISOs. It's definitely bigger and beefier. It's automatically trash to like 65% of the posters here already because it's not full frame. It's funded by yakuza money.

All that being said, holy poo poo I am firmly in that goddamn niche and I'm gonna light such a pile of money on fire.

E: WEATHER SEALED FLASH HELL YEAH I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I'D DO WITH THAT BECAUSE I'M TOTAL poo poo WITH FLASHES BUT HELL YEAH :bubblewoop:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 24, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'LL BE IN MY BUNK

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have no issue with the concept of a $3000 integrated grip pro body, but the one they've released does seem a bit underwhelming. It seems its the same sensor they've been using for ages. Ditto the EVF. Plus where's the gigabit ethernet!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

I have no issue with the concept of a $3000 integrated grip pro body, but the one they've released does seem a bit underwhelming. It seems its the same sensor they've been using for ages. Ditto the EVF. Plus where's the gigabit ethernet!

Honestly I've been perfectly happy with the current sensor and EVF in the EM1mk2.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
But if you want lots of people to part with $3k, I think they should be aiming for more than 'perfectly happy'. Part of the issue Fuji have with the XH1 is that six months after they released it they came out with the cheaper X-T3 with a newer generation of sensor. Olympus could run in to the same issue.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sensors are sorta done with m43 for now. 24 mpx is maybe obtainable but probably not. I thought it was a new EVF though?

Olympus will probably put out a new em5 but the g9 already fills the roll of a lesser em1x imo

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'm wondering if we will see sub-1k g9's this year? If so I'm gonna buy one for sure.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I kind of want one but I can't justify it since the GH5 is so good and I rarely shoot landscape or something that needs hi res mode.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So the more I read about it, it's basically a really roided up EM1mk2. A far better AF system, new EVF, and stabilized as hell. Live ND filter is neato. Built in GPS, USB-C PD charging, and 2 processors instead of the 1 on the mk2. Durability seems like it's drat near bulletproof too. Plus with a little luck the phone app will suck a lot less now that it can connect over bluetooth as well as wifi.

A lot of the improvements seem like stuff aimed for folks going well out into the woods with a couple long lenses for the day.

E: here's a review explaining the EVF. It's... sorta new?

quote:

The resolution of the electronic viewfinder remains the same on both cameras (2,360k dots) but a new optical design allows the E-M1X to have a magnification of 0.83x, whereas the E-M1 II EVF is limited to 0.74x. Note that both values apply with the display style 3 where the info overlays inside the frame.

The E-M1X EVF has a maximum frame rate of 120p (progressive) as opposed to 120Hz (interlaced) on the E-M1 II. There is less of a display lag as well (0.05s vs 0.006s).

The larger magnification is definitely welcome (the EVF feels really large) but it’s unfortunate that Olympus didn’t take the opportunity to introduce a new panel with a higher resolution.

E2: This is a really deep comparison between the EM1X and EM1mk2. Has some good side-by-side comparisons of photos and video.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 25, 2019

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
I spent 2 days wondering why the Nex7 gave me such bad images on the raw .ARW files.

Finally found out that '' windows photo viewer '' is crap.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Orions Lord posted:

I spent 2 days wondering why the Nex7 gave me such bad images on the raw .ARW files.

lol yeah it's terrible. I hadn't realized it for years.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The inconsistency in which programs obey Windows color management used to drive me insane.

It also drives home how you shouldn't agonize over stuff that's destined for sharing online, because you may get it looking great on your painstakingly calibrated wide color gamut display, but who knows what kind of dogshit it'll look like for anyone else.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Orions Lord posted:

Yeah it is pretty poo poo and not worth using. How do you like the NEX7? How does it perform these days? I got into mirrorless the generation that body came out. I started with the NEX5n (which I still have and my daughter uses) but always lusted after the 7 because the tri nav controls or whatever they called it seemed really good as a concept. Considering how cheap they are now used I’m tempted to get one since I have an a7ii and most of my lenses could be used on the 7 as well.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Shart Carbuncle posted:

but who knows what kind of dogshit it'll look like for anyone else.

Samsung’s android devices with OLED are a perfect reason why not to care. I shot a concert recently and couldn’t help but notice how hot and overly saturated those displays are. Someone in the crowd was recording and the colors were so far off it was visible from 20’ away.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

rio posted:

Yeah it is pretty poo poo and not worth using. How do you like the NEX7? How does it perform these days? I got into mirrorless the generation that body came out. I started with the NEX5n (which I still have and my daughter uses) but always lusted after the 7 because the tri nav controls or whatever they called it seemed really good as a concept. Considering how cheap they are now used I’m tempted to get one since I have an a7ii and most of my lenses could be used on the 7 as well.

I use it with m42 lenses for street photography.
I like it especially the focus system when you use the manual lenses.

This is my first week with it, I can't say much usefully at this time.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Orions Lord posted:

I use it with m42 lenses for street photography.
I like it especially the focus system when you use the manual lenses.

This is my first week with it, I can't say much usefully at this time.

I’m using mostly manual focus lenses too on my a7ii. I’ll have to look into it - I don’t remember if it’s the same sensor as the NEX5n. If it is then I suppose it would be redundant to get a 7, even if it is really cheap used.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Ugh, I have been watching the Fujinon XF16-55mmF2.8 R LM WR price for the last couple of months and it just fell to $899 on Amazon. It's hard not to press the buy button immediately -- which is why they do it.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

accipter posted:

Ugh, I have been watching the Fujinon XF16-55mmF2.8 R LM WR price for the last couple of months and it just fell to $899 on Amazon. It's hard not to press the buy button immediately -- which is why they do it.

Just do it. I love mine.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

accipter posted:

Buy it used on B&H or Adorama. This lens sale is going to get me. I want to get the 8-16mm next, and I just bought an X-H1. My plan is to buy everything Fuji makes to solve my GAS. That oughta do it...

SimpleCoax fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 28, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

accipter posted:

It's a fantastic lens -- worth the money.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Is the 16-55mm $900 new price or temporary price drop. If it's new price I will wait for the used ones show up on Adorama or Amazon warehouse.

I just check resell price of the 18-55mm on ebay, this lens doesn't depreciate.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

tino posted:

Is the 16-55mm $900 new price or temporary price drop. If it's new price I will wait for the used ones show up on Adorama or Amazon warehouse.

I just check resell price of the 18-55mm on ebay, this lens doesn't depreciate.

Lens sale until March 30. These lens sales are frustrating because there was that time they didn’t do any sales for like a year or two.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

$300 off the Fuji 80mm macro is gonna drive me insane if I don't buy it before the sale ends

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Fuji GFX 50R + 63mm $1000 off :kheldragar:

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Just do it. I love mine.

I just did it :sotw:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

It's hard, but I'm still holding out for the 16-80 f/4. I'd rather trade the one f-stop for smaller size, longer reach, and OIS.

I'm just hoping '2019' doesn't mean November :smithicide:

I'd definitely jump on the $250 off 16mm f/1.4 if I didn't already have it though.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Anyone has weight spec of the new 16-80/4? You probably can guess how much Fuji want to price it, I hope its in the same tier as the 18-135mm. I am running around the house looking for old gear to sell already. Too bad Canada no longer sell Fuji gear a discount rate.

tino fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 29, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Is it wrong to put this on a wedding registry? Asking for a friend.

ALso the internal "ND filter" is actually a very clever idea

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If I am a bad photographer who mostly wants to take (nice) travel and family/friends shots, will a lose out on much with the m43 pancake zooms compared to the pro one with the same focal lengths? I'm more bothered by the additional weight than the price

For reference I currently have a x100s, which I like using. Not even sure that it's worth replacing but having just one zoom option does feel a bit restricting sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

If I am a bad photographer who mostly wants to take (nice) travel and family/friends shots, will a lose out on much with the m43 pancake zooms compared to the pro one with the same focal lengths? I'm more bothered by the additional weight than the price

For reference I currently have a x100s, which I like using. Not even sure that it's worth replacing but having just one zoom option does feel a bit restricting sometimes.

Which zooms do you mean? SOmething like the 12-40mm f/2.8 is a great lens and doesn't weigh all that much for what it is.

Also Olympus is soon to announce a megazoom on the consumer end:

43rumors posted:

Here is “One more thing” from Olympus! They will soon announce this new 12-200mm f/3.5-6.3 MFT lens. A perfect glass fro travellers!
More specs:
– dust, splash and freeze-roof.
– MSC system like the 12-50
– Focus distance of 10 cm
– 455 g
– Available : late March
– Price 899€