Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
YouTube has a butt ton of drawing classes. That’s what I used to get my feet wet with perspective, shading and anatomy. Throw it up on your tv and follow along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

This has probably been asked and answered, but I'm asking again anyway.

Is the new Pro a significant upgrade over the previous version? I ask because the last model is discounted right now, and if I can save $400-$500, I will, but not at the expense of tech upgrades.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like having the button and a headphone jack. I’m also worried about bending a new one because mine goes in a backpack a lot.

Outside of that, my 10.5 does everything I want it to do, it’s not even close to being obsolete and the battery is just fine.

New ones do look cooler I guess.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

If anyone could recommend an app that’ll teach me to draw that would be great. The best drawing I’ve ever made was a stick figure.
Buy a 2DS/3DS and get Art Academy.

(Nintendo should make Art Academy for iPad)

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

shortspecialbus posted:

It's slightly annoying because I don't use the pencil all that frequently and it usually sits in a slot in my backpack, which means I always need to charge it before I use it because it's constantly running dead unless I remember to take it out once a week to charge it.

Pixelbook pen is worse, in a sense - I use that one even less, and it sits in my backpack too. Unfortunately it tries really hard to maintain a connection, so it drains the battery way faster than if I'd actually be using it constantly, and it doesn't recharge. I'm not even sure if they make rechargable AAAA batteries. So I have to buy dumb moon batteries for it every now and then.

The apple pencil is better in that it charges easier and quicker, but the downside is I always have to charge it if I haven't used it in a couple weeks. The pixelbook pen at least lasts a few months. Trade-offs, I suppose!

If you use the pixelbook pen so seldom, why don’t you take the battery out when you put it away?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Rolo posted:

I like having the button and a headphone jack. I’m also worried about bending a new one because mine goes in a backpack a lot.

Outside of that, my 10.5 does everything I want it to do, it’s not even close to being obsolete and the battery is just fine.

New ones do look cooler I guess.

Thanks. That's the one thing I wasn't considering was the lack of a home button. I'm sold.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

XBenedict posted:

Thanks. That's the one thing I wasn't considering was the lack of a home button. I'm sold.

I thought that at one point and then realised that using the on screen elements to do the same thing the home button used to do meant that I no longer had to ever consider again what orientation my iPad was being held in to do exactly the same things.

I like that, its the little things.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

insidius posted:

I thought that at one point and then realised that using the on screen elements to do the same thing the home button used to do meant that I no longer had to ever consider again what orientation my iPad was being held in to do exactly the same things.

I like that, its the little things.
Course the gestures are available on the regular iPads too. Which leaves the home button for Touch ID, which is annoying to use when prompted and makes me wish I had Face ID.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
One gesture the older iPads don’t have is the “tap anywhere on the screen to wake it up” gesture that the FaceID devices have. It’s a really minor thing but it’s probably my most used “gesture” on both my Xs and Pro. I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve sat there with an older iPad like an idiot because I keep forgetting the screen doesn’t come on when I tap it.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

The new ones fold too, which is pretty neat

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey sorry for another iPad battery drain question... but I have another:

Last night (7pm) I was gonna use the new pro. (2018 12 inch) it was at 95%.
My pencil was at 95% (not docked)

I put the pencil on.

Today at 8 am I checked. iPad is 12% drained. All from
Standby. Pencil is at 94%.

This just seems... accelerated.

(I only mention the pencil in case it’s a factor but I would hope not as isn’t that where it’s meant to be stored?

Is this extreme for 12 hours standby drain?

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Feenix posted:

Hey sorry for another iPad battery drain question... but I have another:

Last night (7pm) I was gonna use the new pro. (2018 12 inch) it was at 95%.
My pencil was at 95% (not docked)

I put the pencil on.

Today at 8 am I checked. iPad is 12% drained. All from
Standby. Pencil is at 94%.

This just seems... accelerated.

(I only mention the pencil in case it’s a factor but I would hope not as isn’t that where it’s meant to be stored?

Is this extreme for 12 hours standby drain?

What does it say in the battery page in Settings? Your pencil should not take your battery down to 12% overnight.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Grimmeh posted:

What does it say in the battery page in Settings? Your pencil should not take your battery down to 12% overnight.

I’m out with the kids at soccer. I’ll check when I get home. Good idea, I always forget that...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

The new ones fold too, which is pretty neat
It’s just an earlier beta version of this.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Calaveron posted:

Man I wish apple would sell folios made of leather or whatever other substance that doesn’t feel lovely and stain really grossly
I’d drop a two hundo on a rich leather keyboard folio

I'm having a weird ripple peeling on my pro 11 cover lining which never happened on my older leather one, I'd totally go with a nicer option since the official one just feels cheap considering its only a few months old and definitely hasn't had the wear and tear to justify the state it's in.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
In case anyone is interested, I’m selling an iPad Pro 10.5 in SAMart https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880580&perpage=40

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish iOS had an option to immediately both prompt for passcode AND attempt FaceID. Inevitably when I try to unlock my iPad Pro I’m covering the camera, and it’s faster to just punch in my code than shift everything around or move into its line of sight, but I don’t want to disable faceid altogether.

I guess it’s really a non issue, but saving me the three or four seconds would be cool.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I'm thinking of trading in my old Air 2 for $175 CAD and get a 2018 Pro, but I refuse to pay $120 CAD for Apple's smart folio case.

Does anyone have any recommendation for the third party ones on amazon(.ca)? I'm wary of the fake reviews.

Looking for something thin that will protect both the back and the front (like Apple's) from scratches. Not really looking for something bulky that is made to protect from falls.

Secx fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 28, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Secx posted:

I'm thinking of trading in my old Air 2 for $175 CAD and get a 2018 Pro, but I refuse to pay $120 CAD for Apple's smart folio case.

Does anyone have any recommendation for the third party ones on amazon(.ca)? I'm wary of the fake reviews.

Looking for something thin that will protect both the back and the front (like Apple's) from scratches. Not really looking for something bulky that is made to protect from falls.

I swear to god just get a sleeve. I posted about the Herschel Anchor a few weeks ago and it’s been my go-to rec for about ~5 years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

if I didn't love the convenience of flipping out a physical keyboard I would replace my smart folio with a sleeve in a heartbeat.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Deadguy2322 posted:

If you use the pixelbook pen so seldom, why don’t you take the battery out when you put it away?

That's a perfectly cromulent question! The answer is that I never think of it and then when I do, I'm incredibly lazy!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has anyone with the 2018 pro noticed missing keystrokes from the middle keys on the soft keyoard? T, G, V, B, Y?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Some other dude had that, too.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

There was a discussion about it a few pages back. It seems to relate to how much bend you impart on the ipad with how you hold it. I hold it like kind of sitting on my thumb, with very little force on the sides, and I have no problem. If you hold it in a way that bends it, it'll happen on any 2018 iPad Pro that you try.

Try adjusting how you hold it, or if that's impractical, I guess sell it and get a 2017 one, unfortunately. It's an issue with the hardware that some people seem to see due to their grip. Most don't, but that doesn't help the ones that do.*

* A lot of that is conjecture based on posts here and elsewhere - I have no specific data to back it up, only a lot of anecdotes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

There was a discussion about it a few pages back. It seems to relate to how much bend you impart on the ipad with how you hold it. I hold it like kind of sitting on my thumb, with very little force on the sides, and I have no problem. If you hold it in a way that bends it, it'll happen on any 2018 iPad Pro that you try.

Try adjusting how you hold it, or if that's impractical, I guess sell it and get a 2017 one, unfortunately. It's an issue with the hardware that some people seem to see due to their grip. Most don't, but that doesn't help the ones that do.*

* A lot of that is conjecture based on posts here and elsewhere - I have no specific data to back it up, only a lot of anecdotes.

Just lol at that.

There is like no possible way.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Just lol at that.

There is like no possible way.

What?

That seemed to be what it was, though. The new iPads are pretty weak/flexy, and how some people hold them seems to gently caress up typing in the center keys because something is flexed. Earlier in the thread that one dude had it happen on like 3-4 ipads he tried, and I saw several similar discussions on other forums where they tried multiple iPads at Apple Stores and had the issue with all of them.

I don't have links anymore because I didn't save them, sorry. I don't have that issue :shrug:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok, returnin this thing, thanks

He look at that a missing g

And a y

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Ok, returnin this thing, thanks

He look at that a missing g

And a y

I'd at least try out some other ones at the store, it's possible yours is hosed somehow. This isn't exactly a common problem, most people don't seem to have it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MacRumors has reported a "questionable rumor" that iOS 13 will drop support for iPads mini 2 and 3 (and possibly 4), and iPads Air 1 and 2.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pdated.2167881/

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Regular Nintendo posted:

Has anyone with the 2018 pro noticed missing keystrokes from the middle keys on the soft keyoard? T, G, V, B, Y?

I'm the other dude that had that. On four iPads 11s so far.

It's really making me sad. Trying to adjust my grip but I've got years of "I hold iPads this way" engrained in my paws so not going so well so far. Feh.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

shortspecialbus posted:

I'd at least try out some other ones at the store, it's possible yours is hosed somehow. This isn't exactly a common problem, most people don't seem to have it.

I think it's more that most people don't use the particular grip in portrait mode that causes it to happen. It HAS been reproduce-able in every single iPad Pro 11 I've had access to, either via purchase, a friend's, or at a fruit stand.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

smr posted:

I'm the other dude that had that. On four iPads 11s so far.

It's really making me sad. Trying to adjust my grip but I've got years of "I hold iPads this way" engrained in my paws so not going so well so far. Feh.

Yeah last night i wiped mine and its going back to best buy sunday

I'll try again next year if they bring the split keyboard back I guess

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can you guys post your grip because I’m so confused about this.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can you guys post your grip because I’m so confused about this.

Portrait, holding it like a game boy

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Isn’t that how everyone holds it though? I’m not trying to be a dick or anything by the way I just can’t comprehend how it would be an issue unless you’re gripping it super hard.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

There’s death grip for iPads? I’ve never had an issue.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Idk I don't design the flawed software keyboard or defective capacitative sensors or bent chassis, I just buy em

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Portrait, holding it like a game boy

Just post a picture because I’m trying it and it doesn’t work so I’m obviously holding it wrong.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Endless Mike posted:

MacRumors has reported a "questionable rumor" that iOS 13 will drop support for iPads mini 2 and 3 (and possibly 4), and iPads Air 1 and 2.

OH FFS

That would be dumb as hell as especially air 2 and 6S are working perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Endless Mike posted:

That'd be a pretty sizable numberif hardware configs. Mini 2/3 at the same time makes sense bc iirc the 3 is literally just the 2 with touchid