Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
White exterior, brown/tan leather interior. Wasn't sure about the white in the photos, but I really like it in person. And the interior. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

In general white is a really boring color, but a lot of BMWs pull it off really well. Good choice.

The fancy pearlescent white paint looks so much better than the generic home appliance white paint that most economy cars get. Plus there's enough body features and shapes to make it interesting as well.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

For some reason BMW enthusiasts like to call white, black, silver, and grey "boring colors" then they go buy cars in Metallic Piss Yellow and Broccoli poo poo Green. White looks amazing on a well designed car like a BMW and don't let people tell you otherwise. Congrats on the purchase.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
white is good because racecars are white

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Carbon black best black

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
White isn’t bad

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Popete posted:

Carbon black best black

tell us all about ur paint swirls

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

white is good because racecars are white

w e i g h t r e d u c t i o n

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

tell us all about ur paint swirls

Swirls are for machine washed cars.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, I got a silver GTI when I really wanted a white one, then drove it for 11 years. So, I'm not exactly upset about having a white car now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You stupdi mother fuckers how dare u

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Uthor posted:

White exterior, brown/tan leather interior. Wasn't sure about the white in the photos, but I really like it in person. And the interior. :swoon:

Oh drat, I want a tan interior so bad. Nice pick.

Also, if you haven’t already, you might wanna join the BMW CCA. My membership more than paid for itself in discounts at local indie BMW shops.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ok, so it's actually brown inside? I was worried for a second because I thought tan might = beige. My first BMW was beige inside and I hated it. It should be illegal to sell cars with beige interiors. I made sure to get black interior for my current car. I wish I had gotten a white car, but black looks good too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, so it's actually brown inside? I was worried for a second because I thought tan might = beige. My first BMW was beige inside and I hated it. It should be illegal to sell cars with beige interiors. I made sure to get black interior for my current car. I wish I had gotten a white car, but black looks good too.

This is the photo from the sales page.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Uthor posted:

This is the photo from the sales page.

this looks really good. I actually much prefer this tone to the baseball-glove darker kinda tan in the e9x series. Nice pick.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: oops

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Glad some folks are finally posting their E30s again.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

morothar posted:

So we went and had a look at a bunch of cars across a number of brands yesterday. The M2 ended up being one of the few that did not feel like it was actively trying to crush me, and also seemed to offer a surprising amount of space given the compact overall size.

Is there anything obviously wrong with it that would make it a bad idea?

The M2 apparently has similar cabin dimensions as an F150.

It is also very fun to drive

Get it and post pics and do a burnout

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Hi alll, I'm considering swapping my 2005 ZHP for this 2008 128i:
https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/VF08917

It has Sport steering wheel, M Sports Suspension, sport seats, and black trim, but NOT the M badges all around. Did those cosmetic items only occur in later production years? Is this suspension the same as or less-great-than the full M-sport package?

Any other insights into this model? Am I crazy to part with my sub-100k mile ZHP that works just fine? Thanks!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
ZHP's sell for inflated prices, so if you can get a good sell price for it, I don't think you'd be doing bad to replace it.

That said, are you really looking for a 1-series? Or are you getting a good deal on that particular car? It'll feel quite a bit smaller than the 3, and the 135 has a bit more power than the 128 did.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I'm kinda wrestling with all those questions. I do like the smallness of the 1. I do feel like my ZHP is going to hit a point soon where it'll be harder to sell -- it's '05, 85k miles, quite clean, and can just get worse, I think.

I know the 135 is a monster, but in my small town there's hardly any place to open the ZHP up, much less a twin turbo beast. So I'm thinking the 128 with some sport stuff will be fun enough, low-key, and kinda a boring but chill sub-luxury daily driver... But uncertain on the move...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
When I sold my '04 330Ci last year, it had about 100k miles and mechanically it was in good shape. However, it was coming up on time to replace all of the suspension bushings and consumables, and the trim around the windows, and the a-b-c pillar fabric was starting to sag, and a ton of little miscellaneous stuff that didn't affect the operation of the car but was getting set to eat me alive in work and value. I was sad to see the car go, and at the same time relieved that I wouldn't have to deal with all that crap.

I also live in a place that's flat, and all the roads are straight and filled with traffic.

So yeah, I'm with you. Just keep in mind a 2008 car is over 10 years old.

e: oops

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
boooo automatic booo

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
because it's not an m3?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cobalt60 posted:

because it's not an m3?

This post is applicable to the "Why should I get an M2" guy btw

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
N52s get carbon build up too right? Ugh

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cobalt60 posted:

I'm kinda wrestling with all those questions. I do like the smallness of the 1. I do feel like my ZHP is going to hit a point soon where it'll be harder to sell -- it's '05, 85k miles, quite clean, and can just get worse, I think.

I know the 135 is a monster, but in my small town there's hardly any place to open the ZHP up, much less a twin turbo beast. So I'm thinking the 128 with some sport stuff will be fun enough, low-key, and kinda a boring but chill sub-luxury daily driver... But uncertain on the move...

I enjoyed my 128 sport package as a daily driver but the form factor was not all that useful in the end. i feel like a daily should be more practical than a coupe.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

N52s get carbon build up too right? Ugh

Not really? The N52 is port injection, not direct injection like the N54, so it's not going to be the same.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Alarbus posted:

Not really? The N52 is port injection, not direct injection like the N54, so it's not going to be the same.

ahh i assumed it's DI

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Still haven’t found my e92 but yeah, I started looking at n52’s only because of all the insane n54 issues and the need to regularly walnut blast it, etc.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I enjoyed my 128 sport package as a daily driver but the form factor was not all that useful in the end. i feel like a daily should be more practical than a coupe.

Do you have family or friends? I have a wife, no kids, and... I mean, some friends...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Still haven’t found my e92 but yeah, I started looking at n52’s only because of all the insane n54 issues and the need to regularly walnut blast it, etc.

What's "regularly"? Once ever 60k miles? I mean, I'm not vouching for reliability, but needing to walnut blast in itself isn't a huge issue. I'll be catch-canning mine in the Spring, though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Supposedly every 30k. Remember kids, the faster car is the one that isn't in the shop fuckin constantly.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If you don't have kids, how often are you driving more than yourself and one passenger?

And even if you do have kids, a multi-car household should have at least one Coupe

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Two door supremacy

Wife and I are looking at buying a second vehicle to take over practical car duties, but tbh the e46 coupes are really spacious inside for their size for 2 people and hasn't been a major limiting factor

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
2 doors is the correct number of doors for a car. Why would you ever have more than 2 people in a car? Seems like if that is happening frequently you made some poor life choices.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Popete posted:

2 doors is the correct number of doors for a car. Why would you ever have more than 2 people in a car? Seems like if that is happening frequently you made some poor life choices.

All these rookies buying cars with back seats.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

My favourite part of MOT test season

Thanks for the advice guys! :thumbsup:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
bro, did you notice your rear seats are missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

H110Hawk posted:

God, if I could have the rear seats of my car removed and replaced with more trunk space, I'd be a happy camper.