Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

peloton is soulcycle as a service

soulcycle is a spin class chain in bougie urban areas with super loud music, low lighting, very few dudes and insanely upbeat instructors that costs thirty dollars per class

so if you're going to 15-20 soulcycle classes a month peloton seems like a good idea plus you can do it at home

something about the classes and the way they market them scratches some kind of rich person itch and people go nuts for this stuff. in sf there's now similar classes for yoga, pilates, rowing, "bootcamp" cross training and boxing the main thing is they're all extremely expensive

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i guess it follows though -- people really love socializing but through a medium that also allows for distance -- chats, texting, social media

web forums :smuggo:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
post ur PRs breh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

My Linux Rig posted:

it’s basically facetiming a cycle class so they say poo poo like “you’re going up a hill now time to turn up the resistance woo what a hill”

on expensive ones like this the instructor controls your resistance

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i didn't know spin "classes" were even a thing until soulcycle turned up

i am utterly baffled by the idea of riding a fake bicycle in company, while someone yells at you

the whole thing sounds like an elaborate practical joke
spin classes have been around for many decades, even very popular in the 80s. it's only just become bougiesized with tech bubble poo poo for young white-collar white women. i took spin classes at my community college over 13 years ago for a grand total of $20 for a semester. poo poo was really great and was perfect to decompress after back to back classes and keep things flowing while contemplating over things.

a single 45 minute session at SoulCycle is like $35, if you went 2-3x a week, thats between $200-400 a month, yikes!

lancemantis posted:

some people really like group exercise -- only with peloton you can have the group exercise...without..the...group?
yea thats insanely dumb. group excercise is actually good because it makes it easier to get off your rear end and do it when you're being graded on it for credits/have to be there at scheduled time/group competition to push yourself harder. all that goes out the door with that dumb @home poo poo.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 28, 2019

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

post ur PRs breh

that's what strava's for

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Xaris posted:

yea thats insanely dumb. group excercise is actually good because it makes it easier to get off your rear end and do it when you're being graded on it for credits/scheduld time/competition to push yourself harder. all taht goes out the door with that dumb poo poo.
peloton has live metrics and leaderboards so you can compare your watts to other people in the class, I assume there's cheevos and badges too

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
$35 per class is also what the barre3 near us costs

that's the combination yoga ballet workout for rich white ladies

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
dudes love bro science and ladies love working out in ways that seem like tangentially/overly-complicated working out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

obviously since there's a huge boom in this stuff right now there will be an accompanying crash in 18-36 months

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FMguru posted:

im going to go right ahead and guess that if you stop paying your monthly subscription fee the bike becomes effectively useless

wirecutter's review has some details https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/peloton-review-what-to-know-before-you-buy/#flaws-and-potential-dealbreakers

sounds like it will probably still function as an exercise bike, just a very expensive one with no fancy tracking features or whatever.

also fuckin' lol you're required to buy a 1 year membership when you get one. $468 on top of the $2000 bike.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a subscription service that simulates the experience of walking six blocks to find a lime scooter that's actually parked in some dorm kid's room so he can get max charge bounty

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

obviously since there's a huge boom in this stuff right now there will be an accompanying crash in 18-36 months

its always shifting -- step aerobics, the one with the wacky cables that slips my mind right now pilates, zumba, yoga, hot yoga, soul cycle, etc

then there's the rich vs poor fads

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 28, 2019

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ok so i don't know how many different ways i can put this: places with higher costs of living also tend to have higher wages.

if you leave chicago for new york, your employer will be obliged to pay you more in order to secure your services

you may wish to stay in chicago for other reasons but come on, guy. no one is gonna ask you to add $1k a month to your rent/mortgage and not offer you more money

well, sure, but cost of living can easily outpace a higher salary in a place like the bay: https://www.theatlas.com/charts/ryz4LMYul
https://qz.com/906086/san-francisco-is-actually-one-of-the-worst-paying-places-in-the-us/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dont forget orangetheory which is literally founded on `come as close as possible to killing yourself`

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

oh absolutely, poo poo is always in flux with the latest social fad.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah thats part of the "exercise has to be extreme" sub-trend; americans really love extremes

their favorite of course is being extremely inconsistent

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

dont forget orangetheory which is literally founded on `come as close as possible to killing yourself`

i thought that was just another soulcycle clone

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
orangetheory is like a crossfit fork

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lancemantis posted:

orangetheory is like a crossfit fork

so, chopsticks?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Enderzero posted:

incisive, john. so many people have been saying the opposite

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1089921927894962181

lmao

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

so much money to avoid going outside. idiots, I avoid going outside for free

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

lol i was about to mention orangetheory. my one coworker is REALLY into it but he’s also in p good shape soo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

peloton is soulcycle as a service

soulcycle is a spin class chain in bougie urban areas with super loud music, low lighting, very few dudes and insanely upbeat instructors that costs thirty dollars per class

so if you're going to 15-20 soulcycle classes a month peloton seems like a good idea plus you can do it at home

something about the classes and the way they market them scratches some kind of rich person itch and people go nuts for this stuff. in sf there's now similar classes for yoga, pilates, rowing, "bootcamp" cross training and boxing the main thing is they're all extremely expensive

this is why its impressive

i'm sure they overexpanded and somehow the $2k bike is sold at a loss because its a VC backed startup

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lancemantis posted:

yeah thats part of the "exercise has to be extreme" sub-trend; americans really love extremes

their favorite of course is being extremely inconsistent
yeah that goes back to very founding of america. america was founded by get-quick-rich-schemers, snake oil, and crazy-cult people that were too crazy for normal society. everything in it's last 300 years of history is just repetition of it. it defines our very collective psyche that it's all getting a one over the rube. boy golly there's gotta be some way to do something new that's better than what all the other poor rubes out there are doing they just don't know it because they're poor and uneducuated, and inequality divides, and that everyone expects things just to happen to them via american exceptionalism without any effort. be it diets, exercise, fat freezes/lipo, stocks, some employment/work things, whatever.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

in big cities there is a virtually unlimited supply of people paying $300-$400/month for classes or xfit boxes or whatever, we were all just too dumb to anticipate and cash in on this

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

a subscription service that simulates the experience of walking six blocks to find a lime scooter that's actually parked in some dorm kid's room so he can get max charge bounty

speaking of lime lmao
https://twitter.com/mims/status/1089894640751427585

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this garbage all over public spaces has wheels but leftists hate it!!!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
techies, the bourgeois scum that they are, unsurprisingly hate democracy -- and they love to think they can just "innovate" out of it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i dont care about scooters but mother jones is fuckin garbage

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Enderzero posted:

incisive, john. so many people have been saying the opposite

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1089921927894962181
oh poo poo i didn't realize john carmack was the head of my last company. we had so many meetings about being more like uber and how awesome theranos was (after all the fraud came out), because they COULD HAVE BEEN SO DISRUPTIVE!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
committing crimes is often very disruptive, it's true

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think at this point i want to pitch a business plan that is literally just robbing a bank

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lancemantis posted:

see: IPAs, hot sauce

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

i think at this point i want to pitch a business plan that is literally just robbing a bank
Alternatively a "cryptocurrency" that is actually just printing counterfeit money.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but you repeat yourself

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's more fun when the secret service is involved.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we call it ameriCoin. it comes in standard denominations and is visually identical to USD, we're pegging the value at 1:1 USD

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

het in on the ground floor with this printing press and cotton paper starter kit! it pays for itself in days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the best workout program is the one you actually do