Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

every time they tried to say CAPALDI DOCTOR IS AMBIGUOUS NOW it felt so loving hollow cause he was already way nicer than eccleston

I think you meant to say Tennant. The "no second chances" Doctor. The one who did sacrifice his life, but only after complaining and making you genuinely unsure whether he would. Compare to Capaldi's "Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference" or his declaration in his last (but one) episode about why he fights.

Stabbatical posted:

I never liked the expansions of the Dalek mythos that Moffat made with regard to the casing. It stretched my ability to believe in the threat of the characters, the idea that they are just generally pitiable, nasty pieces of work who sincerely believed in their mission and place at the head of the natural order. It seems to be part of the trend in the new series of the expansion of the Daleks' machines' powers, the move from just being solid individual tanks in the old series into ultra-super-invincible individual world-armies. This can work well sometimes (like in Dalek) but in Into the Dalek and The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar, when it's basically stated that the tanks seem to drive the owners as much as the owners drive them.

I find it less interesting than the idea that the Daleks act they way they do willingly. I don't think it even gels well with another major part of the Dalek lore, the idea that they have already been genetically altered only feel hate (and maybe other negative emotions; I also think that's another slightly silly idea that limits the potential for story telling and doesn't really make sense but :shrug:). Why make the tank suppress emotional expressions or ideas that shouldn't be able to even occur to a regular Dalek?

Both Into the Dalek and TMA/TWA's additions seem like they make the Daleks into robots, which is more thematically fitting to the Cybermen. That's one of the things I liked about Resolution's Dalek, that even without the travel-case it still had freedom of thought and action and it still believed in its mission and Dalek-supremacy.

Granting first that Terry Nation seemed a bit confused about the whole robot thing, I think the new series Daleks have only intensified their central problem, which is that because they are monsters it is OK to kill them all.

But they aren't all monsters. Evil of the Daleks establishes that, but in a way which suggests that you need "the human factor" to change them (so Daleks are evil only because of the Dalek factor). Then comes the new series and all its redeemable Daleks: "Dalek," "Daleks Take Manhattan," "Journey's End," "Into the Dalek," arguably "Asylum of the Daleks." After all that, what's true? That Daleks are not innately or genetically evil, and have some degree of volition, in which case Daleks should be allowed the chance to make better choices? Daleks are constrained by external factors, which makes them not responsible for their evil? Why would it be better to say that they are genetically altered to be monsters, and that therefore they should all be killed, instead of trying to undo the genetic modification (which, arguably, is what Two did)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Something I always dug about "the only emotions the Daleks feel is hate" is that it was so clearly bullshit. Sure, hate permeates their emotions (hateful glee, for example) but the others are there, ESPECIALLY fear. You can tell in a lot of the Classic serials that the Daleks are terrified that deep down they know they're wrong, that they are NOT superior and what they are is disgusting and wrong. That makes them hate even more (and even louder, more importantly) especially as every single engineered gene of their body is screaming at them that they MUST be superior, and the fact that they're clearly not just stresses them the gently caress out and, ironically, creates self-hatred which just exacerbates everything.

Edit: In regards to the Path Web, I wouldn't have minded it if it had been described the way it was later, as basically a kind of filter/suppression system to keep Daleks exposed to new things once they left Skaro "pure", but why the gently caress did Moffat have to use the word "hive mind" when he first described it. He even loving had Oswald walk back the comment herself like a line later but it had already poisoned the well.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Narsham posted:

But they aren't all monsters. Evil of the Daleks establishes that, but in a way which suggests that you need "the human factor" to change them (so Daleks are evil only because of the Dalek factor). Then comes the new series and all its redeemable Daleks:
"Dalek,"
Genetically altered itself by using Rose's DNA to regenerate (possibly intended to imply a callback to the human factor).

quote:

"Daleks Take Manhattan,"
Genetically altered itself by becoming a dickhead (same).

quote:

"Journey's End,"
Driven mad and given prophetic powers by an extreme act of Time Fuckery.

quote:

"Into the Dalek,"
Injured and possibly brain damaged, or at least robo-brain damaged, and its "redemption" is just 'oh, my target priorities are now switched'. It's still a genocidal tank, just now it only genocides other genocidal tanks, and sometimes the Doctor apparently.

quote:

"Asylum of the Daleks."
It's a Clara shard, see above re: Time Fuckery, plus it used to be human (human factor again?).

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Jerusalem posted:

why the gently caress did Moffat have to use the word "hive mind" when he first described it.

because he's a talentless hackfraud.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Moffat has a lot of issues but talentless sure as gently caress isn't one of them.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Jerusalem posted:

Moffat has a lot of issues but talentless sure as gently caress isn't one of them.

have you seen sherlock?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yes.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

your brain is profoundly damaged.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sherlock is poo poo but there's no need to call people who like it brain damaged. There could be any number of reasons for their incredibly poor taste.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Dabir posted:

Sherlock is poo poo but there's no need to call people who like it brain damaged. There could be any number of reasons for their incredibly poor taste.

like his hero sherlock holmes, i spotted a small blue star next to his username denoting that he serves as some kind of forums janitor, for no pay i might add. from this clue i simply deduced the obvious.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Moffatt has his issues but there's no denying he was massively influential in producing some of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/elsandifer/status/1089676633353736192?s=21

DoctorWhat Asuka cosplay when?

TinTower fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 28, 2019

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Android Blues posted:

Moffatt has his issues but there's no denying he was massively influential in producing some of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever.

Please try harder if you're going to troll.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Influential that he wrote 42 of them himself. The magic number.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Her screaming obscenities at people would be one of the few things the TARDIS can't/won't translate.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I like the idea that the Daleks' state of mind is maintained by control of what they see and hear (Into The Dalek) and even what they're capable of expressing (Witch's Familiar). It doesn't really gel well with other bits of Dalek lore, but you can handwave that as being Dalek evolution- after all, episode X where they're this could be separated from episode Y where they're that by hundreds or thousands of years. Plus genetic engineering and top-down information control kind of works with the zombie nanocloud from Asylum Of The Daleks to make Moffat's vision of "being a Dalek" something that is done to people, whereas he seems to see the Cybermen as something people do to themselves. It's also optimistic in its way: look at how much effort fascism takes!

It's not so much about the lore (who cares if the Dalek mutants are actually little green men in the next story) as about the idea behind it, and I hadn't really thought about it in that way (that Dalek-ness is done to people). I guess it I still muddies them into just being Cybermen or functionally robots and makes them feel a bit less distinct and interesting to me. I like them to be able to show glimmers of personality. RTD's Dalek Emperor, Supreme Dalek, and the Cult of Skaro were great for this. Victory of the Daleks is good for this too, but I never bought the Dalek Prime Minister for some reason (even though that's a wonderfully silly idea and I find it quite charming conceptually).

Jerusalem posted:

Something I always dug about "the only emotions the Daleks feel is hate" is that it was so clearly bullshit. Sure, hate permeates their emotions (hateful glee, for example) but the others are there, ESPECIALLY fear.

Yeah, you can see it when they lose their poo poo constantly when the slightest thing starts to go wrong (although given their line of work it's normally going to mean their death in about 30 seconds). It's pretty great.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Davies was great with Daleks. RTD should stand for Really Terrific Daleks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The "Daleks" at the end of season 1 were great because they were engineered from human DNA initially so they inherently hated themselves for being inferior to their own ideals, and it coalesced (aided by the insane Emperor) in religious mania. The Doctor's reaction to,"DO NOT BLASPHEME!" and his realization they're all insane(r) was so well done.

2house2fly posted:

RTD should stand for Really Terrific Daleks

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Davies was great with Daleks. RTD should stand for Really Terrific Daleks

:hai:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jose Mengelez posted:

alternatively; it's lazy bullshit writing for idiot british children from a disinterested and unmotivated showrunner.

Jose Mengelez posted:

like his hero sherlock holmes, i spotted a small blue star next to his username denoting that he serves as some kind of forums janitor, for no pay i might add. from this clue i simply deduced the obvious.

Jose Mengelez posted:

it's actually a metaphor for AIDS.

Jose Mengelez posted:

my large son bradley finds this show absolutely thrilling. if he can watch it quietly without fidgeting he'll find an extra gooseberry and cinnamon yogurt his harry potter lunchbox tomorrow.

that said, the wife and i were very troubled by the scene in resoloution where the dalek is about to make a party political broadcast and the doctor and her group of ethnic ruffians turn off the internet or some such? whatever you think of the dalek agenda to wipe out all non-dalek life in the universe it's simply not cricket to rob them of their right to free speech. let's be fair, even daleks deserve a platform and access to the marketplace of ideas.

we highly approved of the episode where a literally soulless jeff bezos analog cried out for help and the doctor dropped everything to crush a worker uprising. we're very centrist in this house but frankly the left is out of control these days and this is something we strongly feel bradley and our younger son tarquin should be taught at an early age.

some of our son's schoolfriends from more... troubled backgrounds, say this show is "pure AIDS" and "extremely fail" but they'll no doubt end up mangled in the gears of some heavy industrial equipment hahah.

Jose Mengelez posted:

because he's a talentless hackfraud.

Jose Mengelez posted:

your brain is profoundly damaged.

Have you considered turning off your television? It seems to make you extremely angry, all of the time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

Have you considered turning off your television? It seems to make you extremely angry, all of the time.

He's a troll, check his rap sheet. I've put him on ignore now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This might retread something that was posted earlier, but the methods of social control are different for the cybermen and the daleks. The cybermen impose uniformity through technological means primarily - a person's emotions and identity are removed via programming and circuitry.

Daleks have all of their emotions, and perhaps too much emotion, and that becomes the mechanism of social control and producing uniformity. A key piece of Dalek doctrine is purity, and such a fear of being identified as impure (of exposing one's self as dissenting) can function as a control mechanism. All of those technical doodads that we see are just a mechanism for narrowing the individual Dalek's experience to reinforce the overall uniformity of the Dalek race. Clara experiences censorship - her dissent from Dalek purity and doctrine gets rewritten to become orthodoxy as she tries to express it, so that no idea of individuality within Dalek hegemony can spread.

Goddamn I should write a "Revolution of the Daleks" story.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CommonShore posted:

This might retread something that was posted earlier, but the methods of social control are different for the cybermen and the daleks. The cybermen impose uniformity through technological means primarily - a person's emotions and identity are removed via programming and circuitry.

Daleks have all of their emotions, and perhaps too much emotion, and that becomes the mechanism of social control and producing uniformity. A key piece of Dalek doctrine is purity, and such a fear of being identified as impure (of exposing one's self as dissenting) can function as a control mechanism. All of those technical doodads that we see are just a mechanism for narrowing the individual Dalek's experience to reinforce the overall uniformity of the Dalek race. Clara experiences censorship - her dissent from Dalek purity and doctrine gets rewritten to become orthodoxy as she tries to express it, so that no idea of individuality within Dalek hegemony can spread.

Goddamn I should write a "Revolution of the Daleks" story.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/brotherhood-of-the-daleks-280

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Bicyclops posted:

/

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
i'm sorry, that's an unfair stereotype.

in actuality 99% of doctor who fans are small children and adults with severe developmental impairments.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
before you say "buh u watch show" and accuse me of hypocrisy; as a tv license payer i'm technically one dr who's financiers and i like to keep abreast of my investments/watch my small change spiralling town the toilet.

watching this show for fun or enjoyment is listed in the DSM-5 as symptomatic of "full blown hypermongoloidism".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It must be exhausting watching every single BBC channel at all hours of the day, then. To 'keep abreast of your investment'.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

It must be exhausting watching every single BBC channel at all hours of the day, then. To 'keep abreast of your investment'.

i'm up to s19e480 of eastenders box set and yeah, it's pretty tough going.

nice av btw. lots of "sexy" undertale and homestuck avs itt. what's the deal with that?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

People like to get horny and cum

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Owns all of the New Adventures but has never read one."

:colbert: Well that's no fan.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I mean say what you want about any TV show you care to, it's no big hassle to click "ignore," but if you're tossing around "mongoloid" as a pejorative like that in 2019 you're a piece of poo poo.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Archyduchess posted:

I mean say what you want about any TV show you care to, it's no big hassle to click "ignore," but if you're tossing around "mongoloid" as a pejorative like that in 2019 you're a piece of poo poo.

it's my favorite devo song though, it used to be "jocko homo" but apparently that's also highly problematic in the current year.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
but let's be real for a second, the term "retarded" implies a person who's intellectual and emotional development has been severely stunted for whatever reason.

like an adult who watches children's television.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Mengelez posted:

but let's be real for a second, the term "retarded" implies a person who's intellectual and emotional development has been severely stunted for whatever reason.

like an adult who watches children's television.

Could you try harder please?

At least be funny?

Like a little? I tried to report you for being boring but apparently that's already been done so I thought I'd just ask you face to face

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
this conversation is extremely cool

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Burkion posted:

Could you try harder please?

At least be funny?

Like a little? I tried to report you for being boring but apparently that's already been done so I thought I'd just ask you face to face

you posts do not affect me. i continue to insist as i furiously hammer the report button.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hey, so...being ableist is lovely. Don't use "retard" as a pejorative.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's like you're trying to communicate but you don't know how to

it's kind of fascinating.

Anywho how is Big Finish doing these days

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
if being ableist is so lovely maybe stop watching a show where the archvillain is a nasty old cripple and his army of wheezing wheelchair monsters?

a show where the "hero" tips a disabled guy out of his chair then rides around in it going "honk honk" like a fucken clown?

yeah nice show lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That sounds badass