Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Crocoswine posted:

that tumblr post is really old and I hope no one here thinks the OP's posts aren't a super obvious joke.

Are you saying that you don't believe he has three girlfriends who all smoke weed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

It is not a board game!!! There is no board, and no pieces!!!

Now select your miniature and place them on the grid; each hex is five feet.

one of my D&D players bought a bunch of miniatures and I was like "uh well we don't really use those" but they were so stoked about em that I started laying them out on the bare table to give a vague idea of where everything is

I don't really like the board game part of it, usually fights more resemble a Dragon Warrior game than something more Fire Emblemey, "oh sure you're close enough to run up and hit the guy" and the rest of the game is them investigating and making assumptions that I usually run with

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Andrast posted:

Are you saying that you don't believe he has three girlfriends who all smoke weed?

call me when he's got three gang weed slonking girlfriends

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Peanut Butler posted:

one of my D&D players bought a bunch of miniatures and I was like "uh well we don't really use those" but they were so stoked about em that I started laying them out on the bare table to give a vague idea of where everything is

I don't really like the board game part of it, usually fights more resemble a Dragon Warrior game than something more Fire Emblemey, "oh sure you're close enough to run up and hit the guy" and the rest of the game is them investigating and making assumptions that I usually run with

Yeah I got pretty irritated when my DM started buying into grids and minis. The best D&D game I ever played, we just stuck random numbers into stats, nobody rolled any dice, it was pretty much a GM-directed communal story with lots of wine. Lots more fun someone digging into the apocrypha books for a two-word phrase that means you do 11 damage instead of 10.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah I got pretty irritated when my DM started buying into grids and minis. The best D&D game I ever played, we just stuck random numbers into stats, nobody rolled any dice, it was pretty much a GM-directed communal story with lots of wine. Lots more fun someone digging into the apocrypha books for a two-word phrase that means you do 11 damage instead of 10.

I tried that with my game, but combat (especially ranged combat in a modern setting) really quickly became untenable and unbalanced. I had to go back to using maps and markers just to keep track of where everything was on the field.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why are you even playing DnD then since like 95% of the game rules are related to combat and dungeon crawling

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Idk, because we had all played it before so we were familiar with it, and just wanted to do one that was loose in that way.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Idk, because we had all played it before so we were familiar with it, and just wanted to do one that was loose in that way.

You may want to look at World of Darkness. That system is designed for abstraction and more narrative focus.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Brawnfire posted:

At this point, aren't you just playing pretend?

Like, that's cool if you're into that poo poo, but, it's kinda not a game anymore.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Aramek posted:

Like, that's cool if you're into that poo poo, but, it's kinda not a game anymore.

Well the GM would still roll sometimes for skill checks or counters, but for the most part it was saying what we wanted to do and the GM making sure it was constrained to moves. Plus a lot of the plot was a party where we had to socially affect NPC so... It worked out, and it definitely still fit the ruleset, I don't know how to explain this better.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You may want to look at World of Darkness. That system is designed for abstraction and more narrative focus.

To my eternal shame I did LARP Vampire: The Masquerade, which was definitely much more flexible in that regard. But so, so, so lame.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Andrast posted:

Why are you even playing DnD then since like 95% of the game rules are related to combat and dungeon crawling

familiarity

my game's been running for eight years and for half of em it's their first game; 5e especially is not a difficult system to bend to your will as a DM, and there are scads and scads of resources online and at game stores for it

really the rules don't matter aside from being a way to incentivize my PCs to play in a way that's entertaining, so yeah I went with the one that's cool right now and that I played cumulative months of in the 90s

would rather be running Dungeon World tbh but I mostly run things like that system on the backend, so really it's about player comfort. Much like labor and capital, a DM cannot exist without players

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Skwirl posted:

Please let it be a vegetarian place.
Nope, burger place, though it sells vegetarian patties as an option.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Aramek posted:

d and d is just quantifying your imagination, anyway, it's not really a game

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Brawnfire posted:

You'd probably enjoy some of the lighter RPGs then, like Apocalypse World. If you like the granular mechanics but don't really give a poo poo about positioning et al. beyond "is that a touch power or line of sight?" then the 2nd edition of Chronicles of Darkness (not to be confused with World of Darkness only because there's some "exciting" fuckery surrounding White Wolf/OPP/versions that I invite you to ask/read about) is definitely for you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

You'd probably enjoy some of the lighter RPGs then, like Apocalypse World. If you like the granular mechanics but don't really give a poo poo about positioning et al. beyond "is that a touch power or line of sight?" then the 2nd edition of Chronicles of Darkness (not to be confused with World of Darkness only because there's some "exciting" fuckery surrounding White Wolf/OPP/versions that I invite you to ask/read about) is definitely for you.

Thanks for the advice! I have been wanting to run a small adventure for some friends but was always burdened by the sheer weight of the D&D mechanics and ruleset. I felt like I would necessarily be leaning on my friend who usually DMs for help even as he played PC. This sounds like it hews more closely to my style of group improvisational storytelling.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Well the GM would still roll sometimes for skill checks or counters, but for the most part it was saying what we wanted to do and the GM making sure it was constrained to moves. Plus a lot of the plot was a party where we had to socially affect NPC so... It worked out, and it definitely still fit the ruleset, I don't know how to explain this better.

To my eternal shame I did LARP Vampire: The Masquerade, which was definitely much more flexible in that regard. But so, so, so lame.

Who said anything about LARPing? Sit at a table with character sheets and play vanilla WoD

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Who said anything about LARPing? Sit at a table with character sheets and play vanilla WoD

That's just the only example of contact I've had with WoD, is all. Just anecdote.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah I pitched DW when we wrapped up a Lv 1-20 Pathfinder campaign, but the players were more interested in 5e DnD and there are more of them than me so I ran with it

the advantage/disadvantage mechanic is great for on the fly calls, and rewarding it for good play is an easy incentive structure that reminds me of Paranoia's perversion point system

mostly I pretend I know the rules super well in order to move forward into drinking beers and doing lightly structured improv

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have anything to say directly about ABDL, and I suspect most people reading this post won't either. However I do have something I'd like to say.

There is an artist, who I will not name specifically, who was non-binary and showed interest in ABDL. If you spent any time watching flash animations posted on Something Awful 10+ years ago, you're probably familiar with this artist's work. They vanished entirely from the internet a couple years ago after a long harassment campaign. From what I saw of the campaign, they were conflating ABDL with pedophilia. I enjoyed this artist's work and miss them immensely, and fervently hope they are alive and well somewhere away from the folks wishing them harm. ABDL is an often misunderstood community. I honestly barely understand it myself, but I do my best to respect it because I've seen the damage that misunderstanding it can do.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Proteus Jones posted:

The hippest.

In fact our coolness factor cannot be encapsulated by such trite things as "popular app rankings" or "active user base"

right, we're like Real Metal, we didn't go away....just went underground.

you haven't heard about motley crue either lately have you...but they still rock

checkmate teenailures

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
This indie musician used his artist's platform to sell overpriced closet sized apartments in LA and is totally not mad that people are making fun of him because of it

https://twitter.com/WAVVES/status/1089327517863821312

https://twitter.com/WAVVES/status/1089389638379159554

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

letthereberock posted:

Oh please please please tell me you have a good Square dance drama story.

Sadly nothing specific, just that square dancing clubs apparently have a tendency to pop up, get taken over and dominated by a handful of toxic lovely members who then drive everyone else away to start their own new clubs, and the cycle repeats itself.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Slippery posted:

God, same. there's no shortage of things to be depressed or anxious about but willfully putting babies at risk from sheer ignorance ugh

sure but even the adults depress me, to think that people can be hoodwinked and led astray so horrifically just makes me sad rather then finding it funny they were killed by something that last killed boris the caveman or w/e

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

EmmyOk posted:

sure but even the adults depress me, to think that people can be hoodwinked and led astray so horrifically just makes me sad rather then finding it funny they were killed by something that last killed boris the caveman or w/e

concur

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Shilling for deep state big pharma itt

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it makes me feel like a crazy person but I can't help but think that there's a concerted effort to create dieoffs in the lower classes as a ghoulish solution to labor automation

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:hmmyes:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nerdz posted:

This indie musician used his artist's platform to sell overpriced closet sized apartments in LA and is totally not mad that people are making fun of him because of it

https://twitter.com/WAVVES/status/1089327517863821312

https://twitter.com/WAVVES/status/1089389638379159554

Now I know why a musician I follow tweeted “If Wavves thinks his fan’s understanding of economics is bad wait until he hears about their taste in music”.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Peanut Butler posted:

it makes me feel like a crazy person but I can't help but think that there's a concerted effort to create dieoffs in the lower classes as a ghoulish solution to labor automation

The Stand v2.0: Jenny McCarthy is The Walkin Lady

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
no.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Peanut Butler posted:

That's just biopolitics

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
For some reason I decided to read the comments on a Washington Post article about this week's forecasted record cold weather. In addition to the usual climate change denial "if the globe is warming why's it so cold" :downswords: I found this:

Just try to imagine how big of an idiot you would have to be to think JesuswichSonOfManwich is not the best screen name.

Mr.Radar has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Jan 29, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Brawnfire posted:

It is not a board game!!! There is no board, and no pieces!!!

Now select your miniature and place them on the grid; each hex is five feet.

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/woc21442.html

Game set and match :colbert:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Moms on social media are nasty. Posting bath photos of their kids with little suns censoring their genitals. One of the kids is in elementary school. It's hosed up and weird.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

MizPiz posted:

That's just biopolitics

Just as a warning studying this stuff is the first step to getting a philosophy interest, which will quickly lead you to go suck dick for the chance to argue about passage 3 of Kant's least readable chapter, needing to be ever more well read in obscure dead people (read: go into academia). Don't be like me kids, stay away from the Big P. Do something more constructive, like smoke crack and eat tide pods for fun. You'll still make more sense than Judith Butler.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

nerdz posted:

Like half my family lives in LA, you'd think I'd be used to hearing about inflated prices. But I still did a double take at $3k a month. My husband and I paid literally half that much to rent our last place, and it was a stand-alone house with a backyard.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

:thunk:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
heh. im old and uggo and my game is weak and thank roosh for making me still competitive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1090038812804345857

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

..why not? Ol' Stevie's take isn't without its charms

seveneves is a hell of a book and so is station eleven but I ask you: did either of them feature the trashcan man

no they did not :colbert: