Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

OhDearGodNo posted:

So, let me get this straight. If a kid is truant from school (over 10% unexcused absences), and after multiple notices, then after the school has had a meeting with the parents and addressing any concerns and doing what's possible to help the kids attend school, then after the referral to the DA, who at that point has yet another meeting with the parents and looks for ways to assist, and after that it goes to court, where either/or is the maximum, and no minimum as a misdemeanor?

What would you suggest instead? Not having kids attend school? they make multiple efforts to help the parents get the kids to attend school- it's only after multiple attempts are willfully ignored.

How about we don't let schools use cops as a means to punish poor homeless single mothers and instead use social workers and government funding to provide them housing and a living wage.

OhDearGodNo posted:

The Anecdote was due to Heck Yes! Loam! implying that people have no idea what it's like to be a poor single parent.

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I was listening to a live stream about the Houston shooting and one of the reporters unironically said "these are some bad hombres." I hate myself and everyone in this world.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Once GOP voters got a taste of the full bodied antisemitism and bigotry the dogwhistle poo poo is just not going to cut it anymore.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FilthyImp posted:

Hey thread, I'd like to thank everybody hashing out Harris' legislation today, because it really caused me to rethink the overreach of that dumb thing.

Like i'm dense enough to not even consider that one of those kids might have been working to help support the family (and I've had kids sleeping in class because they were up at 2 to help deliver papers or help the family business/sat through the counselors chiding parents and letting them know the DA can send them to jail)

So thank y'all for making me slightly less of an idiot today

:)

Other thing to consider is that there's a real chance that those kids just needed a break. School is stressful if you're a sucessful kid from a well-off family who has all the cool contemporary poo poo. If you're a homeless kid in whatever hand-me-downs your family can afford holy gently caress is school going to be a hellish experience and while everyone should be in school, there are days where people just aren't up to dealing with a bunch of bullying for 6 hours and I can't really fault them for it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Are you that dense to still think that as soon as a kid is truant the parent goes to jail?

Are you that dense to still think that bringing charges against a single homeless mother isn't loving sick? Becasse what I am saying actually happened, and what you are saying is just "Nu uh it is actually a good thing"

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

:)

Other thing to consider is that there's a real chance that those kids just needed a break. School is stressful if you're a sucessful kid from a well-off family who has all the cool contemporary poo poo. If you're a homeless kid in whatever hand-me-downs your family can afford holy gently caress is school going to be a hellish experience and while everyone should be in school, there are days where people just aren't up to dealing with a bunch of bullying for 6 hours and I can't really fault them for it.

Pop culture example: the character "Dukie" from The Wire season 4.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Are you that dense to still think that bringing charges against a single homeless mother isn't loving sick? Becasse what I am saying actually happened, and what you are saying is just "Nu uh it is actually a good thing"

They didn't bring charges against her.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't think it did? (Charges filed I mean). Scary looking letters, yes, but not actual charges.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

OhDearGodNo posted:

You can't drop charges if you didn't bring charges genius

Kale
May 14, 2010

Unoriginal Name posted:

are you really searching for the single opinion of hundreds of people, you dumb gently caress

Yeah I know right. At a time when the political news starts to turn to 2020 election candidacy, who would ever ask people in a discussion thread about US Politics if they have a preferred candidate for the nomination of the party they'll likely end up voting for and if they'd like to volunteer that name and some reasons why they would like to be able to vote for and support them, instead of just hearing only about the ones that suck and why you should think they suck? What an idiot!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have the sneaking suspicion that not everyone in this thread is arguing in good faith...

hosed up if true

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Once GOP voters got a taste of the full bodied antisemitism and bigotry the dogwhistle poo poo is just not going to cut it anymore.

Yeah, the American Nazi party that crapped out back in the 30’s is still alive and well, apparently. Except they’re weirdly called “republicans”.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
at this point i'd vote for a vaccuum cleaner cuz at least it's honest about sucking

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Should have said 'dropped the case.'

I went back and watched the video again. All that was said was,

"scary letter sent"
"sent DAs over with mean face to interview"
"found out she was homeless, so we got her help"

Super evil.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/sppeoples/status/1090038690829791232

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Kale posted:

Who is the average person in this threads ideal candidate for the dem ticket, I'm legitimately curious? For all the chatter after the recent flurry of candidacy announcements I don't think that particular topic has really been discussed much is what I'm trying to point out. Like I feel like a this person sucks and shouldn't be nominated argument comes across far stronger and convincingly if you have an alternative to set them next to to illustrate precisely why.

It depends on the candidate. Everyone in this thread and in real life have their opinions.

Some people might like Donald Trump.

Some people might like someone who giggles on stage about threatening kids and their parents with prison over school absences.

Others may like old men who love banks and mock younger people.

Others may like a woman who lost to a game show host.

If you're me, there's really are no candidates that are any thing close to a fraction of my political ideals.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

OhDearGodNo posted:

They literally did, that's why in the video Kamala said she "dismissed the charges". Read the drat transcript I posted.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

OhDearGodNo posted:

Should never had been a case in the first place

Super evil.

fixed that for you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kale posted:

I understand. Who would you prefer to see nominated instead by the DNC? Who is the average person in this threads ideal candidate for the dem ticket, I'm legitimately curious? For all the chatter after the recent flurry of candidacy announcements I don't think that particular topic has really been discussed much is what I'm trying to point out. Like I feel like a this person sucks and shouldn't be nominated argument comes across far stronger and convincingly if you have an alternative to set them next to to illustrate precisely why.

It seems to me that most people here favor Bernie, although they see him as a compromise candidate, as opposed to the ideal.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Found an article from 2009 talking about the Truancy program when Harris was San Francisco DA

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/San-Francisco-DA-Pushes-Parent-Punishment-61534042.html

Here's a quote giving some statistics about the program

quote:

Harris’s office claims to have had contact with 1,500 students and families through truancy mediations and has brought 20 parents before the court on truancy-related cases. The majority of the charged parents chose to work with the court to get their children back in school, and most of these children have returned to attending school on a regular basis.

I agree with some of the criticisms laid out here about the program. Though it does sound like there were very few actual prosecutions and most of the time they were able to resolve the issue with the parents.

Of course this was when she was DA which is what the video is about. Need to dig more into the state-wide version of the program

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think we all mostly agree that there should be more services to help people combat poverty, homelessness, hunger, and other principal problems that contribute to kids missing school. Still, some people are service resistant. It's one thing when you're talking about homeless people who aren't willing or able to engage with the infrastructure to help them but it's a whole other when we are talking about parents who are responsible for the welfare of children. Am I right in assuming the thread's consensus is that there should be no punishment for truancy of any kind despite the well documented negative outcomes for kids who are perpetually absent?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/1090048070635655169

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kale posted:

I understand. Who would you prefer to see nominated instead by the DNC? Who is the average person in this threads ideal candidate for the dem ticket, I'm legitimately curious? For all the chatter after the recent flurry of candidacy announcements I don't think that particular topic has really been discussed much is what I'm trying to point out. Like I feel like a this person sucks and shouldn't be nominated argument comes across far stronger and convincingly if you have an alternative to set them next to to illustrate precisely why.
Warren and Sanders are probably the best of a pretty bad field. Sanders is really too old to run in 2024, which makes him to old to run in 2020 as well, and he's not great on race. And while I don't know how charismatic Warren is in person, Trump's already succeeded in making her a figure of fun on the right. But they're two of the very few people available who've consistently had their hearts in the right place, and who have a chance of doing enough in their terms to keep Republicans out of power in 2024 and 2028. Biden, Harris, O'Rourke or Booker would run, win, make a few incremental changes here and there, maybe play with the idea of reversing Trump's tax cuts, openly laugh at medicare for all or tax hikes on the rich or any meaningful action on climate change, and then the next election goes to the Republicans as the entire Democratic base is disillusioned and you can't sustain a political campaign on fear alone. Clinton would run and lose. Avenatti would run, win, and become Trump II. And god forbid we get Zuckerberg.

(I know basically nothing about Castro, Gillibrand, Klobuchar or Brown.)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I don't think we have to worry about Schultz spoiling this election, folks.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Kale posted:

So if the 2020 election ends up between Trump and Harris.....just stay home? Is that the proposal here? I'm not entirely following other than every candidate is bad in some way to varying degrees so why bother with any of this beyond that.....or something. Like there's a whole lot of stating why x person or y person absolutely sucks dicks because of this or that policy and why you should think they suck but not a whole lot of what America ought to do about it, what the alternatives are, and what will satisfy the image of the ideal candidate worth supporting and voting for? Is this what the 2016 primary chat (wasn't there for that) was like and why some posters want to see it kept to a bare minimum because if so I kind of understand?
The math is different in the general, but that is something like 17 months away.

It is not about ideal candidates it is about the best candidate who can get in. Kamala ain't it. She certainly has a chance of beating Trump but that bar isn't high enough and for as much of a sundowning omnishambles Trump has been, nobody is letting their guard down after '16.

My question is what is the alternative? Ignoring those vids of her speech and moving on without really examining it? Saying it's regrettable as preamble to explaining how you'll rationalize it?

On the pragmatic side, if you don't vet and air problems about your potential candidate then your opponent will gladly do it for you, and add their own spin to start that narrative with. You figured why drag a winner through the mud, get locked in with your party candidate, but then when the election clock is ticking you'll have to account for their past anyway when the other side is digging up the poo poo you preferred to step over. I really don't like to resort to both sides-isms but I think it's arguable that in 2016 both republicans and democrats ended up doing this. If one side does it and the other doesn't, that usually resolves in a predictable way. But when it's both candidates it's sort of a "what if gravity stopped working" sort of scenario.

And on the principled side, it's pretty lovely to acknowledge someone is a garbage person and yet give them a pass because they will replace an even bigger garbage person. Kamala Harris is objectively better than Trump. Congrats, Kamala. But maybe let's not automatically award her with the whitehouse for such a petty achievement. These 4 years of Trump are loving awful but we will be monsters too if during the next 4 years we repeatedly cringe and go, "Well, at least she's not Trump! Remember when...?"

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 29, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/1090046088483139590

They better hurry up

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarshallCohen/status/1088843994107383808

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Majorian posted:

He really speaks to the “I don’t desire a single good thing” demo.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

OhDearGodNo posted:

Should have said 'dropped the case.'

I went back and watched the video again. All that was said was,

"scary letter sent"
"sent DAs over with mean face to interview"
"found out she was homeless, so we got her help"

Super evil.

Oh just scary letters from the government and DAs coming to my house to frighten me? Well I want whoever decided that was a good idea to have more power!

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think we all mostly agree that there should be more services to help people combat poverty, homelessness, hunger, and other principal problems that contribute to kids missing school. Still, some people are service resistant. It's one thing when you're talking about homeless people who aren't willing or able to engage with the infrastructure to help them but it's a whole other when we are talking about parents who are responsible for the welfare of children. Am I right in assuming the thread's consensus is that there should be no punishment for truancy of any kind despite the well documented negative outcomes for kids who are perpetually absent?

Can we really not think of any consequences for it besides "threaten parents with jail?" Like, leave the morality of that aside. Is that really the best we can do? Jesus Christ we're unimaginative and/or just don't give a gently caress.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, he invented Starbucks, it makes sense

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

pumpinglemma posted:

They literally did, that's why in the video Kamala said she "dismissed the charges". Read the drat transcript I posted.

You're right, there were charges brought against her.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

OhDearGodNo posted:

You're right, there were charges brought against her.

Holy poo poo you're an amazing rear end in a top hat.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Schultz 2020: Who needs charm on any level?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/merica/status/1090047955288162304?s=20

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Crow Jane posted:

I mean, he invented Starbucks, it makes sense

He didn't actually, he bought it.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think we all mostly agree that there should be more services to help people combat poverty, homelessness, hunger, and other principal problems that contribute to kids missing school. Still, some people are service resistant.

It is unspeakably authoritarian to refer to people who don't go along with liberal boondoggles like harris' jail the parents program as "service resistant."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
"I AM A SELF MADE MAN. HOW DARE ANYONE SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT BILLIONAIRES, I AM A REAL AMERICAN! SILENCE YOU loving SERFS AND DRINK MY COFFEE!"

Maybe there should be a boycott of Starbucks.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

pseudanonymous posted:

He didn't actually, he bought it.

Either way, it's clear he doesn't like good things.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

1glitch0 posted:

Oh just scary letters from the government and DAs coming to my house to frighten me? Well I want whoever decided that was a good idea to have more power!

What do you do if the parents don't make the effort for the kids to go to school, if they've had offers of accommodation and refuse to make any attempts for their kid to attend school? What do you do when you've made every attempt to get the kid into school but the parent's just don't bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Willa Rogers posted:

"she's just horrible! but vote for her anyway!"

Unironically yes.