Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Look. You're countering my saying "this extremely common thing is still really impressive to me" with "but it's so common!" Does that make more sense?

have you ever heard a british football chant in your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Association football is way too silly to get mad about. There's no point in getting mad about the way people get mad about it, either. Let's just be mad about Our Gay Sport together.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I forgot about the Rumble and read the summary on Wikipedia.

What's been the news the last year or so with TNA and GFW? Jeff Jarrett's been attached in various ways to everything and I guess TNA is still around but somehow Jarrett got himself a Rumble spot.

Jarrett came back in mid 2017 with the intent on selling what remained of Global Force Wrestling (his failed 2014 post-TNA venture) while serving as a consultant for Anthem (the winner of the coveted dumber than Dixie Carter award)

As this was going on, a lot of GFW branding appeared on the shows, TNA started to show the old GFW tv tapings as PPV specials, and commissioned new belts.

In August 2017, Jarrett had a very public meltdown presumably due to substance abuse. He no showed some events in Canada claiming the mounties were chasing him. Less than a week later, he showed up to wrestle at AAA Triplemania in a team battle royale as part of Team GFW. Jarrett didnt initially go out with the rest of his team, and when he did, he was clearly wasted and started throwing tortillas into the crowd.9

Impact and Anthem immediately severed ties after this.

However in true TNA fashion, they spent months rebranding but never bothered to actually purchase the new IP, so they had to immediately remove all traces of GFW, though it turns out they kept some of logos that Jarrett and GFW did and still showed some of those PPV specials. (Which we know because Jarrett has sued them over it)

They put stickers on their brand new belts to cover up the GFW logo.

Jarrett would enter into WWE funded rehab in fall 2017. He hasn't really been involved with TNA directly since, though he is working with some of their sister promotions as a freelancer.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did Jeff Jarrett with the Roadie somehow never face Honky Tonk Man with Rockabilly during all that stupid bullshit?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

rovert posted:

After seeing him in the Royal Rumble do you think Johnny Gargano is too small for the man roster? 205 Live guy? NXT lifer? How will it pan out?

Of anyone, the ninja warrior girl looked too small for the main roster. I know she can do some cool ninja warrior stuff, but she looks like half the size of AJ Lee, it's hard to see them booking her to do anything but get destroyed a lot.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did Jeff Jarrett with the Roadie somehow never face Honky Tonk Man with Rockabilly during all that stupid bullshit?

Rockabilly and the Roadie feuded for a bit in 1997 when The Roadie was "The Real Double J". Then they teamed together for a little bit under Honky Tonk's management before Billy turned on HTM, which was the start of the New Age Outlaws. Jarrett missed all of this because he was in WCW at the time and when he came back he was part of the NWA invasion.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kim Justice posted:

the NWA invasion.

Thank you. And does anyone have a brief synopsis of this stupid bullshit? I wasn't watching in '98 and it's always jarring to see "NWA SUCH-AND-SUCH CHAMPION" on TV and PPVs from that six-month period in '98 when I go back and take a look.

EDIT: Wasn't it a piss-poor attempt at their own NWO invasion and Cornette somehow thought it would work?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Thank you. And does anyone have a brief synopsis of this stupid bullshit? I wasn't watching in '98 and it's always jarring to see "NWA SUCH-AND-SUCH CHAMPION" on TV and PPVs from that six-month period in '98 when I go back and take a look.

EDIT: Wasn't it a piss-poor attempt at their own NWO invasion and Cornette somehow thought it would work?

they were doing anything they could think of to get eyes and heat as Austin/McMahon had yet to blossom

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

exploded mummy posted:

they were doing anything they could think of to get eyes and heat as Austin/McMahon had yet to blossom

Really? I thought the timeline of the NWA poo poo was early to mid-'98, which was when Austin/McMahon had already started.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It spun out of a couple of "shoot" promos that they let Jim Cornette do on RAW where he ran down WCW and ECW and being lovely wrestling companies. The shoot promos and the NWA thing were at Vince's suggestion, I don't think Cornette thought it was going to be successful or anything. No idea how WWE got it into their heads to escalate it to the point where they were hiring The Rock N' Roll Express and trotting Barry Windham out there. Jeff Jarrett got stuck into the group because he had just defected from WCW and was also doing a lame "shoot" gimmick talking about how WCW misused him and WWF stuck him in a stupid country singer gimmick. When the NWA poo poo was dropped a few weeks later, JJ was back in country singer gimmick lol

It barely lasted over a month before they were phasing people out and not even letting Dan Severn carry the NWA belt to the ring.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've never understood giving a wrestler a celebrity gimmick when people know that they haven't actually released any music.

Considering that "Rap is Crap" actually got into rotation on some country music stations, for all the money WCW was spending on bullshit they could've had 3 Count release a single.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I've never understood giving a wrestler a celebrity gimmick when people know that they haven't actually released any music.

Considering that "Rap is Crap" actually got into rotation on some country music stations, for all the money WCW was spending on bullshit they could've had 3 Count release a single.

International law forbids crimes against humanity.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought we were done talking about JJ.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought we were done talking about JJ.

Ain't he great?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Thank you

Now, can anyone tell me about the Mick Foley/Melina thing? Apparently he got really creepy and obsessed to the point of writing it in his third book?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Tato posted:

Of anyone, the ninja warrior girl looked too small for the main roster. I know she can do some cool ninja warrior stuff, but she looks like half the size of AJ Lee, it's hard to see them booking her to do anything but get destroyed a lot.

killed the high spots though

KILLED THEM

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Aphrodite posted:

It was until recently. Now you can just sign up.

I don't have any intention of signing up, but I just went to their website to test this and the first thing it asks for is to log in with your TV provider's credentials if you want to download the app or watch online.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah apparently what they changed was that the website exists now. In the past it was a TV channel and in demand only. I guess I misunderstood.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Kacy Catanzaro is only an inch shorter than Alexa Bliss and Zelina Vega.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, being a little out of Smackdown's orbit, I'm curious.

What was the trigger that shot Becky Lynch into the stratosphere? There's usually some rough moment that could be said to be a start of some kind. Austin had his King of the Ring bit, Bryan had 17 seconds and the after Raw Wrestlemania. Becky seemed to be treading water for the last few years and then suddenly around...five months or so, ago? She was suddenly on a rocket. So when did this really start and what was the rough trigger, if there was anything?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Charlotte being added to the Carmella title match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Becky was building momentum but she was still basically in the "good but probably never gonna do more than a cup of coffee in the main event" status but when Charlotte got inserted into the match it basically triggered something beautiful.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Yep, Becky earned a title shot over the course of a few weeks while Charlotte was out of commission for surgery, soon as she came back she was inserted into the title match for no reason, she stole the pin from Becky, and postmatch Becky lost her poo poo and destroyed Charlotte.

The crowd popped like a motherfucker and the rest is history.

Becky put herself over even harder by completely owning everyone on social media and building her character in a huge way.

Additionally, the buildup to survivor series had her kick Ronda’s rear end and in a brawl Nia shoot punched her in the face. Becky, concussed and on autopilot while bleeding all over the place managed to finish the show, beat Ronda with a chair, and talk an incredible amount of poo poo before we got the iconic shot of her covered in her own blood and raising her arms like the badass she is.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, being a little out of Smackdown's orbit, I'm curious.

What was the trigger that shot Becky Lynch into the stratosphere? There's usually some rough moment that could be said to be a start of some kind. Austin had his King of the Ring bit, Bryan had 17 seconds and the after Raw Wrestlemania. Becky seemed to be treading water for the last few years and then suddenly around...five months or so, ago? She was suddenly on a rocket. So when did this really start and what was the rough trigger, if there was anything?

Carmella won the women's title off Charlotte and spent a couple months killing what was left of Asuka's mystique. Meanwhile, Becky was gradually climbing up the ranks by going through much of the Smackdown roster. This led to her earning her shot at Summerslam. Then Charlotte was given a non-title match with Carmella, which she won, and was thrown into the Summerslam match, making it a triple threat. Charlotte ended up winning the triple threat by attacking Becky from behind and pinning her. Becky attacked her after the match, which was supposed to be a big heel moment.

Except the fans were completely behind Becky because they felt that she was the hero of the story. She worked her way up while Charlotte had an easier path to the same match. Charlotte kind of sucks as a face, so any attempts at her trying to get sympathy fell flat and Becky's one attempt to cut a heel promo was no-sold by the audience. It basically became the fans insisting to WWE that, no, we think Becky is the face and Charlotte is the heel and you aren't creative enough to change our minds.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Becky also used her time off to continue her character work via twitter with various accounts of her attempts to get out of "doctor jail", and even when WWE had her come out and handpick Charlotte as her replacement (basically Bret Hart giving Hulk Hogan to go ahead to fight Yokozuna) she made it work by then declaring that her concussion made her accidentially hug somebody she didn't like.

Becky owns and I hope like gently caress she beats Ronda in the main event of Wrestlemania.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Gavok posted:

Charlotte kind of sucks as a face, so any attempts at her trying to get sympathy fell flat

I will never understand why Vince McMahon thinks people want to cheer people that are portrayed as better than them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

I will never understand why Vince McMahon thinks people want to cheer people that are portrayed as better than them.

In Vince's mind that would mean no one would want to cheer for him and people love cheering for him.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TriffTshngo posted:

WWE routinely overthinks sure-thing booking, but trying to turn Charlotte, one of the best natural heels in the company, into a face against naturally valiant babyface Becky was one of their more dunderheaded ideas as of late.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One thing that comes to mind with Becky snapping and starting her current "The Man" run is this promo from mid-2017. Retroactively, it feels like awesome foreshadowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWT4GnBfXk

"...I don't know what to do..."

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

two people who have done absolutely nothing wrong

Becky, Bryan, and Ambrose should run the company

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah that Becky promo to Bryan was loving awesome. I thought it was leading to something (it wasn't) but now here we are and life is good and Becky owns.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Halloween Jack posted:

I've seen people say online that Russo was really gunning for this at one point, including offering to pay for Tank Abbott to have singing lessons! I don't know if it's true, but I'm happier believing that it is.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
There was a long slow burn with Becky that probably goes back to her main roster call up.

But to me Money In The Bank 2018 was. Listen to the crowd reaction for her last grab at the briefcase and a out of position taking forever to tip the ladder over. Fans were clearly sick of Becky being a put over person and a fool.

To Becky and WWE management it was MITB 2018 according to interviews Becky gave.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Was Jim Duggan a more...."legit" wrestler once upon a time and he just morphed into a cartoon character due to age and convenience paychecks?

Also, looking up his age, he was only 40 in the 90s. Some wrestlers like him and Hogan and Piper were over the hill and through by their 40s. Others are going into their 50s.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

NikkolasKing posted:

Was Jim Duggan a more...."legit" wrestler once upon a time and he just morphed into a cartoon character due to age and convenience paychecks?

Also, looking up his age, he was only 40 in the 90s. Some wrestlers like him and Hogan and Piper were over the hill and through by their 40s. Others are going into their 50s.

Duggan never held a belt in wwf. maybe earlier in his career he was like a "big deal" guy somewhere but he was always a midcard cartoon guy in the mainstream.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He was a very legit scholastic wrestler and athlete, but not every good amateur wrestler is a good performer. I don't recall Duggan ever being good. At his best he could brawl and have a good match with someone much better than him. You'd think with his size he could at least take a hot tag and clean house, but he's slow as molasses in every tag match I've ever seen him in, even back in Texas and Georgia.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NikkolasKing posted:

He was a top guy in Mid South/UWF, where he wrestled from 82 to 87 and feuded with guys like Butch Reed and Ted Dibiase.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

More of a brawler, but he was a big deal in Mid-South/UWF.

Almost like Dean Ambrose. (Part of a trio, "The Rat Pack" with Ted DiBiase and Matt Bourne, then split with and became a popular face, including winning the UWF/PWI 50,000 Dollar tournament).

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Was he just a tough guy brawler before he came to WWF or did he also portray his character as one IQ point above Eugene in UWF/Mid South?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tato posted:

Was he just a tough guy brawler before he came to WWF or did he also portray his character as one IQ point above Eugene in UWF/Mid South?

No, he was a tough guy brawler rather than an imbecile.