Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Oxxidation posted:

FFXV always seemed to want me to believe noct was a lot whinier than he actually was

kid kept it together pretty good considering all the poo poo that kept getting dumped on him, but whoops here's the Bipedal Abs telling him to get over his fiancee being shivved in front of him like two weeks ago

Gladiolus never really gelled for me like the rest of the team did. I get it that Gladdy Daddy was trying to get Noct to realize that he wasn't the only one who'd suffered(i.e. Iggy), but it comes at a really weird moment. Gladio is just kind of all over the place to me, whereas Ignis and Prompto felt a lot more genuine and nuanced throughout most of the game. Especially if you've done their respective episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

FFXV always seemed to want me to believe noct was a lot whinier than he actually was

kid kept it together pretty good considering all the poo poo that kept getting dumped on him, but whoops here's the Bipedal Abs telling him to get over his fiancee being shivved in front of him like two weeks ago
For real like Glad seemed to think only one person was allowed to go through poo poo at once and that somehow Noct saying "hey this uh, kinda sucks for me right now I need a second to breathe" meant he was saying "everybody needs to die noone has ever been as sad as i am"

FFXV could have had the most coherent Final Fantasy story of all the games if they hadn't just rushed it so hard. The pacing was just all over the place and it made it seem like "a prince going through standard king tests like literally every king has done under the nose of an evil empire ruled by a jealous god who got sick of helping people like kings seem incoherent as hell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

To me Ardyn is basically 'more confusing Seymour'. He's such an obvious villain as soon as he first appears, except his motives are a complete enigma til the end of the game and even then I'm not chomping at the bit to go fight him.

ardyn's the rare example of a final fantasy villain whose motive isn't some vague nihilist-existential killing spree so much as "i hate you, you the protagonist, you personally and specifically, and i will endeavor for the rest of my days to make you as miserable as possible"

of course there's the other stuff with his claims to the throne and his grudge against the crystal but it's all just a veneer on his seething hate for noctis' bloodline and noctis in particular

imo it makes his character a lot more focused and coherent even if the rushed plot still obfuscates it

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

"i hate you, you the protagonist, you personally and specifically, and i will endeavor for the rest of my days to make you as miserable as possible"

That's like, half of Sephiroth's motivation too.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Oxxidation posted:

ardyn's the rare example of a final fantasy villain whose motive isn't some vague nihilist-existential killing spree so much as "i hate you, you the protagonist, you personally and specifically, and i will endeavor for the rest of my days to make you as miserable as possible"

of course there's the other stuff with his claims to the throne and his grudge against the crystal but it's all just a veneer on his seething hate for noctis' bloodline and noctis in particular

imo it makes his character a lot more focused and coherent even if the rushed plot still obfuscates it

Pretty much. It was personal to him on so many levels. Thought I felt it was less "I hate YOU specifically, Noct!" and more "I detest everything that you represent!(And the only way out is to escalate things until one of us dies!)"

Which still inevitably leads to "gently caress you, gently caress your gods, and gently caress everybody else who ever supported you in any way whatsoever!" as the only logical course of action.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The White Dragon posted:

FF4-DS kind of has a weird punishment aspect to it too though where you can only NG+ two times ever and that is IT

This is the one problem I have with 4DS. I'm fine with how the difficulty is and how the augments are, but a limited amount of NG+'s is just punishing for no reason. You can get sorta why someone would want to do that, but it just isn't fun at all and instead makes me not want to engage the NG+ systems at all.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Considering what was revealed about Ardyn I totally understand his motivation, he got hosed hard.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah, currently there is nothing in the game or lore to make it seem like Ardyn was anything other than an out and out good guy who got screwed over for his good deeds. Either the episode itself or the prequel mini anime will probably be devoted to "oh, actually, he was evil all along guys, trust us"

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I hope not. He kinda reminds me of the villain from Xenogears who kept on getting hosed for doing the right thing then decided to be a evil. At least with Ardyn they didn't try a redemption arc, he doubled down on the evil because gently caress 'em.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Gologle posted:

Yeah, currently there is nothing in the game or lore to make it seem like Ardyn was anything other than an out and out good guy who got screwed over for his good deeds. Either the episode itself or the prequel mini anime will probably be devoted to "oh, actually, he was evil all along guys, trust us"

Exactly. He was right to be bitter. His actions were legitimately the only solution to his cursed existence and the end that he craved. It was personal to him. But not personal with regards to any one individual.

Hopefully the DLC doesn't screw that up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So not only is Snow in Dissidia, it's the worst Snow. They didn't pick his most "iconic' look from the original XIII, they didn't pick his rad 80s look from XIII-2, they picked LR Snow.

Also LR Snow is a bad guy. I sure as gently caress hope this doesn't mean they finally settled on a XIII Antagonist Rep and it's loving Snow instead of Caius.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

the achievement page also perplexingly takes up 1mb when the game save itself only uses like 72kb

Getting ahead of the achievements curve again, it also included a low-res monochrome screenshot of the moment you got it (in a small rectangular radius around the player)

e: it probably wasn't much lower res than the game itself actually, but the monochrome makes it look worse

Polsy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 28, 2019

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Ventana posted:

This is the one problem I have with 4DS. I'm fine with how the difficulty is and how the augments are, but a limited amount of NG+'s is just punishing for no reason. You can get sorta why someone would want to do that, but it just isn't fun at all and instead makes me not want to engage the NG+ systems at all.

It is a bizarre decision because once you have all of the augments in your third playthrough you can't start a fourth to use them all from the start. It's not like there's any good reason for it, either, unless it's some weird programming thing, which is doubtful.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

So not only is Snow in Dissidia, it's the worst Snow. They didn't pick his most "iconic' look from the original XIII, they didn't pick his rad 80s look from XIII-2, they picked LR Snow.

Also LR Snow is a bad guy. I sure as gently caress hope this doesn't mean they finally settled on a XIII Antagonist Rep and it's loving Snow instead of Caius.

While I too hope they aren't picking Snow for the 13 antagonist, LR Snow is my favorite looking snow so I'm okay with them picking that look.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I didn't know Snow was even in The Last Remnant

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Snow is Literally The Worst FF character

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
A Yuel that contested for that title.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So wait you argument is that they had to do it to get players to engage with it but it's fine that it doesn't tell you so you don't engage with it and that's fine because it's a reward for those that did.

There's two seperate points here:

1) The way they did the augments is good because otherwise there'd be no point in engaging with the system until you get the final party set up at the end of the game.

2) It doesn't matter if you miss some augments, games having secrets is fine and there's no reason you have to be able to 100% it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The worst FF character is either Josef (dead loving weight, only positive contributions were finding a sled and getting crushed by a boulder) or Tellah (horrible stats, garbage MP, so pathetic his death is the only one to actually stick).

e: Honorable mention to party member #4 in FF1, god do I hate that piece of poo poo.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 29, 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I literally don't even remember a single character named Josef in any final fantasy game, but you said he exists, so I guess he must be the worst.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Josef and Tellah are temp characters, though. Wouldn't say they count.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Leon in ff2 spends most of the game being a villian, does nothing noteworthy afterwards and he joins so late that ive long grinded everyone else up and give no poo poo about actually leveling him. Almost everyone else was a better party member and character then Leon was.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Leon is the name of the most competent and best character in the Resident Evil franchise, so I don't think he's the worst so long as he shares the name.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tengames posted:

Leon in ff2 spends most of the game being a villian, does nothing noteworthy afterwards and he joins so late that ive long grinded everyone else up and give no poo poo about actually leveling him.

you didn't grind everyone else up. it's just that his stats are at the level where he probably should've joined around the time the dragoon joins you instead of when he actually joins you. you're not overleveled, he's just so pitifully behind the curve that it's basically impossible to catch him up without going back and fighting monsters from literally half the game ago

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The White Dragon posted:

you didn't grind everyone else up. it's just that his stats are at the level where he probably should've joined around the time the dragoon joins you instead of when he actually joins you. you're not overleveled, he's just so pitifully behind the curve that it's basically impossible to catch him up without going back and fighting monsters from literally half the game ago

Was it better in NES 2?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Dr Pepper posted:

There's two seperate points here:

1) The way they did the augments is good because otherwise there'd be no point in engaging with the system until you get the final party set up at the end of the game.

2) It doesn't matter if you miss some augments, games having secrets is fine and there's no reason you have to be able to 100% it.

My gripe is still that there is no indication within the game itself that certain augments are missable if you failed to assign enough augments to certain characters. I don't have a problem with games having secrets, but I think that it's bad game design to put something in the game that players will never find unless they do a specific thing that is never hinted at.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gologle posted:

I literally don't even remember a single character named Josef in any final fantasy game, but you said he exists, so I guess he must be the worst.

He’s the hotel owner guy in 15 who dies offscreen

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
No.

Snow is the worst.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Snow is just Zidane or Bartz in a setting where you can't be a hero and he owns.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snow is just Zidane or Bartz in a setting where you can't be a hero and he owns.

Pretty much. Snow would probably be a fan favorite in any other game. It makes me think back to ten years ago and thet weird "Zack is actually better than Cloud" sentiment that popped up because AC Cloud and CC Zack got people all confused. (sorta like how people preferred Naked Snake to Solid Snake for a time because MGS3 was way better than MGS4. Thank God that also seems to have passed just like the Zack fandom) People wanted a nice, happy hero and there's Snow right there.

Snow is just a dude who wants to save his girlfriend and everyone else and gently caress the cyberpolice and robopope.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be more precise dude is a pretty blunt reference to Locke, right down to having a girlfriend in stasis and actually sharing some lines with him.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
...Big Boss is actually probably better than Solid Snake though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Snow was the kind of character I hated when FF13 first came out but now that I'm older and wiser I appreciate him quite a bit. I guess pretty much the same goes for most of the 13 characters. Makes me think I need to replay Lost Odyssey, because at the time I was all smug about it being so much better than FF13 like it was the real FF13 or something dumb like that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHXq84f-HoA

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That is a pro click right there, further reinforcing how Big Boss is the better boss of the metal gears.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gologle posted:

...Big Boss is actually probably better than Solid Snake though.
in terms of "being good at soldiering" Snake wins

in terms of "not creating child soldiers" Snake wins

in terms of "not being an rear end in a top hat" the guy who didn't kidnap the creator of Oilix and threaten the world with two separate Metal Gears (I'm not even counting Venom Snake here, which would bring the count up to four) wins

literally Solid Snake is better than Big Boss by every metric and that's the entire point

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DACK FAYDEN posted:

in terms of "being good at soldiering" Snake wins

in terms of "not creating child soldiers" Snake wins

in terms of "not being an rear end in a top hat" the guy who didn't kidnap the creator of Oilix and threaten the world with two separate Metal Gears (I'm not even counting Venom Snake here, which would bring the count up to four) wins

literally Solid Snake is better than Big Boss by every metric and that's the entire point

He even succeeds in following the boss's will with the creation of his and Otacon's non-national philanthropist venture to destroy all metal gears.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mega64 posted:

The worst FF character is either Josef (dead loving weight, only positive contributions were finding a sled and getting crushed by a boulder) or Tellah (horrible stats, garbage MP, so pathetic his death is the only one to actually stick).

e: Honorable mention to party member #4 in FF1, god do I hate that piece of poo poo.

Tellah has amazing stats when you first get him, and by the time they start lagging compared to the other party members, he gets access to nearly every spell in the game. Osmose and selected use of (dare I say it) Ethers means his 90 MP should never really be a problem. Tellah then makes a clean exit for Rydia/Rosa to take his place.

Now FuSoYa, there's a guy who overstays his welcome and just becomes an exp vacuum when Rydia is spamming Bahamut every encounter in the Giant.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I spent the time to grind up Leon when I played FF2, or at the very least get his MP up to reasonable levels. Was this unwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
The response to "Tellah/Fusoya are awful" is that Break, Slow, and Bio all exist and are all disgustingly cheap for their power.

Mages in FF4 are a crazy toolbox of power and it's one of my favorite things about the game.