Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I got one of these the other day with a Bluetooth controller. is pretty good for emulators, can do Dreamcast and n64 and lower. there are also some decent android games that support controllers.

No one needs to buy a special licence to make android games, if someone came up with a $300 Andriod box with hardware equivilant to a ps4 I bet it would easily dominate the console market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I missed out on the whole Ouya thing, why was it so bad exactly? It's basically like a crappy Retropi or something?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It used its own marketplace instead of allowing users to sell their games on the Google Store or whatever. As a result, the sales of Ouya games were abysmal. The console itself took ages to be manufactured, ad it took years (?) for it to trickle down to people who supported the Kickstarter. The engineering was terrible, and the console would often catastrophically brick itself because the fan was placed in such a way that it was impossible for it to intake air from the outside. The performance didn't meet the promised expectations. The controller, named Stradivarius by the manufacturer, was a huge piece of poo poo with a giant dead zone. The marketing campaign was the most inept one I've ever seen - once they tried to set up a booth at E3 without a permit, got booted out, and then ran their own "anti-establishment" show out of the parking lot, which was also illegal and eventually got kicked out. Etc, etc

Basically it was the Tesla of consoles.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 28, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

It used its own marketplace instead of allowing users to sell their games on the Google Store or whatever. As a result, the sales of Ouya games were abysmal. The console itself took ages to be manufactured, ad it took years (?) for it to trickle down to people who supported the Kickstarter. The engineering was terrible, and the console would often catastrophically brick itself because the fan was placed in such a way that it was impossible for it to intake air from the outside. The performance didn't meet the promised expectations. The controller, named Stradivarius by the manufacturer, was a huge piece of poo poo with a giant dead zone. The marketing campaign was the most inept one I've ever seen - once they tried to set up a booth at E3 without a permit, got booted out, and then ran their own "anti-establishment" show out of the parking lot, which was also illegal and eventually got kicked out. Etc, etc

Basically it was the Tesla of consoles.

the short version of this was they tried to take one of those Android media boxes you can buy for $25 on Amazon, add a goofy controller and mark it the gently caress up. IIRC it was like $200 at launch.

Rutibex posted:

I got one of these the other day with a Bluetooth controller. is pretty good for emulators, can do Dreamcast and n64 and lower. there are also some decent android games that support controllers.

No one needs to buy a special licence to make android games, if someone came up with a $300 Andriod box with hardware equivilant to a ps4 I bet it would easily dominate the console market.

Steam tried this and it was a pretty big flop I believe

But yeah Android media boxes will play 99% of Android games with no issue

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

the difference is the easy to use OS purpose built for a TV experiance.

this is just a paper thin piece of software, and also this is something steam big picture mode has done just as well for years

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CrRoMa posted:

Everyone in this thread who appears to be angry or mad or negative about videogames probably isn't. They are either mad they have to work all day and can't play videogames or are mad the younger generation is being brought up in a world of free to play delights and limitless choice.

Ahh yes, an entire aisle of sugar cereal brands just for me god bless america and the free market support the troops my soul sings amid limitless choice

Rutibex posted:

the difference is the easy to use OS purpose built for a TV experiance. eventually someone is going to make an android box with decent hardware for gaming and the exclusive console market will die

lmbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqhyHuKVKA

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rutibex posted:

1. Who would buy it?
2. Who would develop for it?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean, yeah, if you could make a magic box with magic specs for a magic price, people would probably buy it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

1. Who would buy it?
2. Who would develop for it?

1) people who like fun video games
2) anyone who wants money! I'm sure it would be easy enough to port console games over. but there are already lots of great Chinese free-to-play developers currently making games for android.

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, yeah, if you could make a magic box with magic specs for a magic price, people would probably buy it.

exactly

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 29, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You guys also failed to remember that the loyal primary audience, as shown in this very thread, is people who pirate poo poo. You know, the same demographic that wouldn't pay a cent for ooya games if they could get grabbed illegally for free

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rutibex posted:

1) people who like fun video games
2) anyone who wants money! I'm sure it would be easy enough to port console games over. but there are already lots of great Chinese free-to-play developers currently making games for android.

exactly

1 would not buy a console for games made by 2.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

booya

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

goddamn nothing entices me more than a chinese made free to play mmo, truly the most meaningful and grounbreaking genre

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

plus then youd instantly have access to the entire back catalog of lovely ad-ridden phone games, on your tv

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Poo? Yeah.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rTzJIxBHKc

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hot take: no matter their similarities to PCs in terms of hardware and architecture, i am glad consoles still exist because console manufacturers seem to be the only ones able to make a decent game pad, something which has been known to be true all the way back to the 80's

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

hot take: no matter their similarities to PCs in terms of hardware and architecture, i am glad consoles still exist because console manufacturers seem to be the only ones able to make a decent game pad, something which has been known to be true all the way back to the 80's

this has not distinguished consoles from pcs since the 360 gamepad

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

poverty goat posted:

What I'm saying is that if you're pro-fallout 4 you're the gaming equivalent of an adult who really liked star wars ep 1-3

lol if you take any sci fi "seriously". The whole point of the genre is to spend some leisure time with nonsense things that you don't have to take "seriously".

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That guy who honestly enjoys exclusive games might be the best thread title opinion yet.

Is the Switch worth the cost?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

lol if you take any sci fi "seriously". The whole point of the genre is to spend some leisure time with nonsense things that you don't have to take "seriously".

I guess that's what sci-fi has become but I like speculative sci-fi like what Aldous Huxley did :shrug:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

lots of old sci fi is grizzly old men trying to make sense of the wars they had to go to

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

poverty goat posted:

this has not distinguished consoles from pcs since the 360 gamepad

The 360 pad had a garbage dpad, we needed one more revision post Nintendo patent.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have an Xbox 360 and the pad doesn't work with Windows at all so :shrug:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You have to buy their proprietary USB adapter.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have an Xbox 360 and the pad doesn't work with Windows at all so :shrug:

The wired controller is literally plug n play, and was much cheaper at launch to boot because microsoft figured no one would want it.

Wireless requires a usb adapter to connect

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The most comfortable controller to hold was the OG Xbox controller. Curse freakish goon hands

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caesar Saladin posted:

lots of old sci fi is grizzly old men trying to make sense of the wars they had to go to

This is a good point

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FoolyCharged posted:

The wired controller is literally plug n play, and was much cheaper at launch to boot because microsoft figured no one would want it.

Wireless requires a usb adapter to connect

Microsoft especially but a lot of developers seem to go between being really generous and cool because they're desperate for people to like them and cocky greedy assholes when they think they're on top and nothing can stop them (actually that's pretty much the Nintendo story)

Also it's ridiculous that Valve would make a console and not call it the Steam Engine.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

poisonpill posted:

That guy who honestly enjoys exclusive games might be the best thread title opinion yet.

Is the Switch worth the cost?

I was considering getting one but it seems most of the games on it are ports and the few exclusives I do want I can just play when I borrow one. I'd look into the current library and upcoming titles before dropping dosh on it. It's a bland console imo but some people love it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
There's also the fact a newer revision is probably coming later this year.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lambert posted:

There's also the fact a newer revision is probably coming later this year.

People are saying this, but there's absolutely no evidence for it. Nintendo usually doesn't release console revisions unless sales are slowing or otherwise there's good reasons for it, and right now they can barely keep the things on the shelves.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People are saying this, but there's absolutely no evidence for it. Nintendo usually doesn't release console revisions unless sales are slowing or otherwise there's good reasons for it, and right now they can barely keep the things on the shelves.

nintendo is cheap, if they can figure out a port to cut in a future revision of the hardware to save a buck, they'll do it (like when they got rid of component out on the later gamecubes).

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nintendo is probably going to release a handheld version of the switch, they have sold a lot but their next intent is to have multiple switches in the house for multiple children.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The WiiU slowed down really fast and they didn't release a revision.

The Wii sold like hotcakes even into the WiiU's lifespan, and they released at least 2 revisions I can think of

The 3DS was and continues to be obscenely popular and there are 6 variations of it, only 2 of which are discontinued.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

Nintendo is probably going to release a handheld version of the switch

:thunk:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The WiiU slowed down really fast and they didn't release a revision.

The Wii sold like hotcakes even into the WiiU's lifespan, and they released at least 2 revisions I can think of

The 3DS was and continues to be obscenely popular and there are 6 variations of it, only 2 of which are discontinued.

The Wii U's an odd case because they kinda did in that they recalled a bunch of the white model with less memory to refurbish and rereleased later, but that was an obvious albatross from the start. While I can only think of one Wii revision and that didn't come until years after release. The 3DS is a bit of a different kettle of worms since it had a super long lifespan and its first rerelease was basically the same but bigger, and then the same but stripped down and cheaper. Even then, it hasn't even been a year since they released the Switch, I'd be surprised if there was a revision before 2020 at best.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Wii U's an odd case because they kinda did in that they recalled a bunch of the white model with less memory to refurbish and rereleased later, but that was an obvious albatross from the start. While I can only think of one Wii revision and that didn't come until years after release. The 3DS is a bit of a different kettle of worms since it had a super long lifespan and its first rerelease was basically the same but bigger, and then the same but stripped down and cheaper. Even then, it hasn't even been a year since they released the Switch, I'd be surprised if there was a revision before 2020 at best.

They revised the Wii to be cheaper and not have the Gamecube ports, then they released the Mini.

Your points about the 3DS stand to an extent but there's plenty of evidence that Nintendo will release an updated Switch within the year.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was a wii model that was like the first one sans the gcn parts parts iirc. don't recall when it came out.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Switch Micro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They should make a cheaper version of the switch without a screen that I can hook up to my TV