Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

The Bananana posted:

that is a very large cookie.

Yeah, this actually became the general baked goodies thread a few pages ago by general agreement but no one bothered to update the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m getting mentally prepared to start loving w cakes. I know I won’t be super terrible from the lessons I’ve gained w cookies but I’m still going out of my comfort area.

I’m gonna start w the vanilla cake from Emma’s Goodies. https://youtu.be/U9Qdmemc6NY

Any tips on flouring/buttering a pan, or on cutting out the parchment paper for the bottom? Honestly, I have always kinda sucked at tracing stuff like a circle around a vase, etc.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m getting mentally prepared to start loving w cakes. I know I won’t be super terrible from the lessons I’ve gained w cookies but I’m still going out of my comfort area.

I’m gonna start w the vanilla cake from Emma’s Goodies. https://youtu.be/U9Qdmemc6NY

Any tips on flouring/buttering a pan, or on cutting out the parchment paper for the bottom? Honestly, I have always kinda sucked at tracing stuff like a circle around a vase, etc.

there is no tracing and hardly any cutting required: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHJHqKLtJ0o

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

I FINALLY HAVE IT, MY MOM'S OATMEAL CHOCOLATE MnM COOKIE RECIPE, aka Daddy Cookies, because she made them for Daddy, who very politely allowed us to have some as well.

Oatmeal Granola MnM Chocolate Chip Cookies

INGREDIENTS (in US volume)
2 sticks margarine
1 cup White Sugar
1 cup DARK brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups AP flour
half a teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon baking POWDER
1 teaspoon baking SODA.
2 1/2 Cups of Old Fashioned Oats, with extra to adjust dough consistency as needed

1/2 bag of Dark Chocolate baking chips
1/2 bag Mini baking MnMs (or the regular baking kind, depends on what you can get)
1 cup chopped walnuts

OR
Dried fruit and nuts in any sensible combination, but then they're not Daddy Cookies, and who wants that?

DIRECTIONS:

Cream Together 2 sticks of margarine, 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup dark brown sugar. Once creamed together, add 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, mix to incorporate.

In another bowl, mix 2 cups AP flour, half a teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon baking POWDER, and 1 teaspoon baking SODA. 2 1/2 cups of FINELY CHOPPED old fashioned oats (To chop, just make 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats, add to blender, blitz a few times till thoroughly chopped but not powderized. Or hit it with a knife a bunch, I don't know, you're all smart people). mix thoroughly and add to wet ingredients. Mix well.

Dough should be a firm, moist, hold a round shape, and not be overly sticky. If mixture is too thin and sticky, add in a handful of unchopped rolled oats.

Fold in half a bag of chocolate chips, half a bag of mini MnM's, and 1 cup chopped walnuts. Or whatever other mix ins you want, you filthy non chocolate wanter. Or, oh gosh, maybe you're allergic to chocolate, i'm so sorry. Or maybe you're a sentient, finger having dog with an interest in baking. Go you. Dried fruit and nuts could work well. Or just raisins, that's always good.

Use 2 large soup tablespoons (or a disher if you're fancy) to make balls of dough. Arrange on non-stick foil (or greased regular foil) on a baking sheet. allow 1.5 inches of space for cookies to spread. Dont crowd! Err on the side of using more trays.

Bake 15 minutes at 350f. May have to be baked in batches if not all of them fit in the oven at once, that's ok. check for doneness, cookie should be baked through, but still soft. It will harden somewhat as it cools. The end result will be a nice firm cookie, but with some softness. If overbaked, they'll still be good, but very hard and crunchy, you'll need some milk.

Let cool before removing from foil and cramming into mouth, but we know that never works and some end up disappearing. I don't know, blame the cat.

limit 3 per day or the krampus will get you.

Merry Xmas

I've made these twice, they were awesome. I kind of want some right now.

But, I also got a hankerin for some scotcharoos, anyone have a recipe?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Boywhiz88 posted:

watch a few episodes of Nailed It! on Netflix, do the opposite of everything they do.

I have never used a parchment circle and I never will :colbert:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have tasted reeses peanut butter cups for the first time in my life a few months ago. They were delicious. Peanut butter was really late in coming to Finland, I don't remember ever seeing it until the mid or late 2000s in stores. I remember really wanting to know what a PBJ tasted like in my teens (90s/early 00)...

So tonight I am going shopping to try and make these:
https://therecipecritic.com/reeses-bake-peanut-butter-bars/

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
My favorite cake recipe is the one you get off the back of a box of hershey's cocoa but I always add some cinnamon and cayenne pepper and then glaze with ganache.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have tasted reeses peanut butter cups for the first time in my life a few months ago. They were delicious. Peanut butter was really late in coming to Finland, I don't remember ever seeing it until the mid or late 2000s in stores. I remember really wanting to know what a PBJ tasted like in my teens (90s/early 00)...

So tonight I am going shopping to try and make these:
https://therecipecritic.com/reeses-bake-peanut-butter-bars/

I love peanut butter cups too. A childhood favorite cookie is this kind:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9471/peanut-butter-cup-cookies/

I could eat seven or eight of those right now.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
On the chocolate peanut butter front, these are a "semi-homemade" type thing, and are way better than they have any right to be: https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/peanut-butter-brownie-cookies/78d2e747-151c-48d1-838b-fdde7d1e3e37

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Peanut butter and chocolate are best friends forever

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I made this strawberry cake for Valentine's Day: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/strawberry-cake/

The cake itself was meh (it won't be at all pink unless you add dye, it was really dense, and it didn't taste like much of anything), but the frosting was holy poo poo good. It's just a standard cream cheese frosting but with a bunch of powdered freeze dried strawberries in it. I used an entire bag of Trader Joe's strawberries (I think just over an ounce), which was a lot more than the recipe called for, but I really wanted it to be STRAWBERRRRRY. It turns a beautiful color and the flavor is strong. The little bit of tartness from the cream cheese is perfect with fruit. Just watch for the little silica gel bag if you dump it straight into your in blender/processor cause I almost missed it...

Def going to try it with raspberries or blueberries or whatever other freeze dried fruit I can find. And probably just use a chocolate or white cake base.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I made this strawberry cake for Valentine's Day: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/strawberry-cake/

The cake itself was meh (it won't be at all pink unless you add dye, it was really dense, and it didn't taste like much of anything), but the frosting was holy poo poo good. It's just a standard cream cheese frosting but with a bunch of powdered freeze dried strawberries in it. I used an entire bag of Trader Joe's strawberries (I think just over an ounce), which was a lot more than the recipe called for, but I really wanted it to be STRAWBERRRRRY. It turns a beautiful color and the flavor is strong. The little bit of tartness from the cream cheese is perfect with fruit. Just watch for the little silica gel bag if you dump it straight into your in blender/processor cause I almost missed it...

Def going to try it with raspberries or blueberries or whatever other freeze dried fruit I can find. And probably just use a chocolate or white cake base.

I made this the other week myself. The frosting is amazing!! My cake turned out dense but I thought it was flavorful and delicious. I used a bunch of frozen field strawberries we picked by hand last June, though. Maybe your berries just weren't super flavorful to begin with?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

listrada posted:

I made this the other week myself. The frosting is amazing!! My cake turned out dense but I thought it was flavorful and delicious. I used a bunch of frozen field strawberries we picked by hand last June, though. Maybe your berries just weren't super flavorful to begin with?

Maybe not. I used a pound bag of frozen from Trader Joe's. It gave me about 2 cups of puree, so getting it down to 1/2 cup concentrated it more than it called for. I figured that would give me a nice flavor, but nope. The frosting made up for it though mmmm

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Red Velvet cookie recipes plz

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Red Velvet cookie recipes plz

I first tried these ones because it instantly popped up when I searched "chewy red velvet cookies" for a Christmas present I was making a couple years back.

Very chewy, delicious red velvet sandwich cookies, and I believe the truest presentation of the necessary cream cheese frosting component of red velvet.

I've been curious to whip up some ermine icing for these instead of cream cheese, actually.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I made oatmeal cookies with banana chips and mini PB Cups.
Flavor was excellent, cookie texture was good.
My only point of issue is that the banana chips basically melted away into gentle banana flavor. I was hoping for some textural contrast from them.
Maybe next time put one or two on top of the cookie when I put them in the oven or at the halfway/rotate time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Made thick chocolate chip cookies to test my new stand mixer. They're loving huge (the one where I'm holding it is a quarter of a cookie) and are an even 800 kcal apiece so I'll definitely never eat an entire one at once ever. Delicious, though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just made these.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cherry-icebox-cookies/

I doubled the amounts of cherries and maraschino juice, and omitted the nuts, cream of tartar, and lemon juice (because I used a knockoff version of the recipe that forgot to include the lemon juice). Any of those could probably account for why the cookies came out softer and more cloyingly cake-like than the real things. Still good, but the recipe needs some tweaking.

Btw if you’ve never had cherry icebox cookies from Collin Street Bakery in Texas, you’re missing out. They’re like potato chips. Sugary, pink, delicious, addictive, crack-flavored potato chips.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Made thick chocolate chip cookies to test my new stand mixer. They're loving huge (the one where I'm holding it is a quarter of a cookie) and are an even 800 kcal apiece so I'll definitely never eat an entire one at once ever. Delicious, though.

Glad to see the review, I was super curious about that recipe.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Favorite cookie scoops? I’ve worn out both of my #40s. In part cause I’m a bit overly aggressive w cold dough. Looking at a Norpro but wanted to get people’s takes.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Favorite cookie scoops? I’ve worn out both of my #40s. In part cause I’m a bit overly aggressive w cold dough. Looking at a Norpro but wanted to get people’s takes.

Its a bit old fashioned but my go-to tool for scooping cookies is my hand

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Tip: scoop out dough into balls before going in the fridge

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I just use my mouth to scoop the dough balls. Unrelated, I've gained 50 pounds in the past two months. What gives?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

My favorite ones are the steel ones I got at Williams Sonoma a long time ago. Stay away from oxo scoops. The gears immediately bend and become useless.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just get one or more of the commercial style scoops
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/0-75-oz-purple-40-disher/92247187.html

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I just use my mouth to scoop the dough balls. Unrelated, I've gained 50 pounds in the past two months. What gives?

Your belt, ha ha ha

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My favorite ones are the steel ones I got at Williams Sonoma a long time ago. Stay away from oxo scoops. The gears immediately bend and become useless.

I got about a decade out of my steel one before the mechanism died, I really need to get around to replacing it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's my daughter's second birthday tomorrow, so I made this for her party!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cute

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Anyone track how much they bake? I’ve been keeping a log for the last month and it’s a lot. drat. I love it.

I’m gonna try and work through the Perfect Cookie cookbook this summer. I think I said I would a couple summers back when I first got it, but dammit I’ve put it on my goals. Probably knock out that first recipe on Sunday.

EDIT: oh yeah Cookie Monster rules but not sure how I feel about how being made of cupcakes. ;) Unless there was risk of him eating himself if was made of cookies.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Brawnfire posted:

It's my daughter's second birthday tomorrow, so I made this for her party!

Those chocolate chip cookies look amazing-recipe?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

nwin posted:

Those chocolate chip cookies look amazing-recipe?

I followed this recipe except I did an overnight chill on the dough since I also had chocolate cupcakes and vanilla cupcakes and cream cheese frosting to prep that night.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Smitten Kitchen's ciambellone. Pro tier cake, will make and devour again. The crust is crunchy and caramelized and the inside is soft and lemony.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Overnight cooling sucks. I just wanna try these brownies, man.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.instagram.com/p/By1QGVrlgJO/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/By1Zl_5l-p4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/By3xYg2HyTA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

So, I’ve been working through The Perfect Cookie... again. Some of you may remember I was going to do that a couple years ago but this time I’m actually doing it. I’ve made 3 recipes out of... 250 recipes. But I’ve made those recipes A LOT in the last couple of weeks. I was sick last week and that really stunk but I was able to transcribe quite a few recipes. I’m at 15 and that includes everything on the page.

I’ve gotten pretty decent at browning butter thanks to their drop cookie recipes. I did it maybe... 3 times in the last couple of years and I ended up doing it for 10 batches in about 2 weeks.

The brownies came up because I didn’t have a ton of time last night but “needed” to bring something into work today. (I’ve never missed bringing this particular office treats in over a year.) I had a lot of fun practicing my chopping w my new chef’s knife. Anyway, I doubled them up despite my first time making the recipe and it came out perfect! So proud of myself and this outcome. Anyway, I liked the recipe so much I ditched seeing John Wick 3 despite trying for weeks now so I can bring this recipe into my regular office. I biked and got some refills of Penzey’s cocoa, normal and Dutch-processed, and then knocked this batch out in like... 20% less time.

And I made the rest of some triple chocolate cookies w some dough leftover from Saturday.

I love baking! Hope y’all have been having fun :)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I did a cookie

It tastes like caramel and toffee and chocolate

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 11, 2019

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I did a cookie

It's beautiful.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What is the recipe for it?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

What is the recipe for it?

I did basically this, but I accidentally started creaming the butter in the first step, so I refrigerated it, broke it up by hand into big chunks, and processed it again until it was sandy, then continued as marked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have a red velvet cupcake recipe they swear by? I want to practice buttercream frosting decorating, figure I should learn a new cupcake in the process.