Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mobby_6kl posted:

Widows 2.5/5
Well this was disappointing. I see what they were trying to do about racism and misogyny and poverty and violence and politics and corruption but it just doesn't work on any level, unfortunately including the "heist movie" level. The film spends an hour and fifty minutes to set up a very lame robbery, then drops a surprise on you, only to resolve it within like 30 seconds with no drama. Which would've been maybe ok of everything up to that point made sense and added up to something, but it doesn't. Ugh.

FWIW, I watched it for the October challenge.

Chopping Mall 3/5
Robocop, which was released a year later, clearly owes a lot to this movie, as it establishes the "security robot gone mad" trope so perfectly. The said security bots work in the mall, obviously, and go mad after multiple lightnings strike outside on an otherwise clear and dry night. Coincidentally, a bunch of teenagers working at different places around the mall decide to have an orgy at the furniture store after closing time, because why not. They end up being locked in for the night and have to fight for their lives.

I should probably get right out of the way the fact that this being Jim Wynorski's best movie isn't quite enough to make it actually good, but the good news is that it does mostly work as a "so bad it's good" film, which many terrible flicks fail to do. The plot is complete nonsense but it doesn't really matter as it wastes little time on the setup and goes straight into it. It's competently filmed and acted, and the effects are ok for the time with pew-pew lasers and some giant explosions. What prevents this from being a better, more fun movie is that it doesn't go quite over the top enough with most kills (the headshot and the molotov scenes were great though) and better writing could've gotten a few more jokes out of it.

I saw it in the theater last year and these are pretty much my thoughts exactly. It helps that it was "Shopping Mall" month at the weekly bad movie showing was particularly brutal. It was nice for something to have some decent action at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
And now, a short list of two movies that surprised me and I liked more than I thought I would, and one that was as good as I anticipated it would be:

Solo: A Star Wars Story: B-
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs: A
Mary Poppins Returns: B+

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Haven't done this one in a while. Here's some stuff from the past couple weeks

Occidental (2017) -- B
Roma (2018) -- A+
The Favourite (2018) -- B
FYRE (2019) -- B-
Cold War (2018) -- B-
Serenity (2019) -- D-
Fyre Fraud (2019) -- D
Splatter University (1984) -- C
The Werewolf Versus the Vampire Woman (1971) -- C-
Monster-a-Go-Go (1965) -- F(?)
Payback (1999) -- C- (Theatrical Cut)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Kiss Me Deadly - 80/100
Cold War - 93/100

TrixRabbi posted:

Cold War (2018) -- B-
I wanna see how y'all opinions compare

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TrixRabbi posted:

The Favourite (2018) -- B

I'd lowered my expectations pretty far after people seemed lukewarm on this but I finally caught it the other day and it rules

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Cold War started strong for me but suffers when they get to Paris, which I found a far less interesting backdrop than the Eastern Bloc for this kind of love story. In general, Wiktor has Bland Protagonist syndrome, a man who never seems to have much to offer the far more interesting Zula and their connection never feels legitimate. I had similar connection issues with Pawlikowski's Ida. It's not that I don't mind these kinds of cold films, it's just that Pawlikowski's particular approach feels just a touch too alienating for me. Still, it's gorgeous and I enjoyed much of the earlier half of the film. I can see where people love it.

The Favourite likewise I enjoyed, although never fully fell into. I love the use of fisheye, the performances are fantastic, and the dynamic of power is probed in interesting ways. I'll copy paste what I wrote on Letterboxd here:

quote:

Between this and Vice in the awards pool I do sometimes wonder why we lust for power. Clearly there is the benefit of comfort and control, yet there’s never a degree to which that will satisfy, is there? Sarah and Abigail battle for proximity to this power, and indeed the role is better than that of the Queen itself — all the influence without being the public face who must suffer scrutiny and political consequences, much like Dick Cheney. But what they gain from this is fleeting, a strange pathological hunger they’re feeding. Vice’s depiction of Cheney is wry, cunning, smug. The Favourite views Sarah Churchill in much the same way, enjoying control over Queen Anne, a Bush-like non-leader, thrust into power through family succession. Here, this brings nothing but misery, and final subservience as the leader reasserts her own position — the ultimate fear of the plotting confidant, and the ultimate trump card. Like Bush firing Rumsfeld becomes a turning point in Vice, Anne’s autonomy, the failure of manipulation, is the one thing that can put an end to a perfectly laid plan. We all bend the knee to the chain of command. So in the end, what is gained but a rush? Sex and power, satisfaction, it’s all kind of meaningless. Even pathetic. All the while millions suffer for the egos of people who operate in shadows.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

My biggest issue with Cold War is that the last act hinges on the idea that Wiktor is so enamored with Zula, he's willing to risk torture and lifelong imprisonment just for the small chance of being together with her again. It doesn't flow naturally from their previous encounters, which, if anything, show their relationship as superficial and self-destructive.

The folk dances were great though. I would have loved it if the entire film had focused solely on them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samuel Clemens posted:

My biggest issue with Cold War is that the last act hinges on the idea that Wiktor is so enamored with Zula, he's willing to risk torture and lifelong imprisonment just for the small chance of being together with her again. It doesn't flow naturally from their previous encounters, which, if anything, show their relationship as superficial and self-destructive.

The folk dances were great though. I would have loved it if the entire film had focused solely on them.

I mean, they're in love enough to commit ritual suicide together so it all makes good sense to me :shrug:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I mean, they're in love enough to commit ritual suicide together so it all makes good sense to me :shrug:

Yeah, I think it's just so weird that it never feels like it naturally builds to that conclusion. It seems sudden, the time jumps don't help it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, I think it's just so weird that it never feels like it naturally builds to that conclusion. It seems sudden, the time jumps don't help it.

The collapse of the Soviet Union probably felt sudden, too, even after decades of mutual provocation.

TrixRabbi posted:

Cold War started strong for me but suffers when they get to Paris, which I found a far less interesting backdrop than the Eastern Bloc for this kind of love story. In general, Wiktor has Bland Protagonist syndrome, a man who never seems to have much to offer the far more interesting Zula and their connection never feels legitimate. I had similar connection issues with Pawlikowski's Ida. It's not that I don't mind these kinds of cold films, it's just that Pawlikowski's particular approach feels just a touch too alienating for me. Still, it's gorgeous and I enjoyed much of the earlier half of the film. I can see where people love it.

You and the characters both. The emptiness is intentional.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

That really only seems to confirm my point though.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Wiktor & Zula's relationship is only shown to work when it seems the entire world is conspiring against it and crumbles when it gets to the ostensibly 'happily ever after' section; it's more of an addiction for them than anything typically romantic. When it got to the ending, I felt it was a bit sad & moving, but I also think it made all the preceding scenes carry an air of satire/dark comedy.

Also, while I can see how the characters could get short-changed because of the propulsiveness of each scene, in the moment, I really enjoyed the shocks of going from one year to the next few, from one music genre to the next.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Marjorie Prime - It's Solaris for dummies, C+

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

That really only seems to confirm my point though.

Can't live with her, can't live without her. Ever been in love? It's like that some times.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They Shall Not Grow Old 5/5 The first appearance of the restored films elicited audibles gasps and someone uttering "holy poo poo".

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I thought I’d seen Police Story before, but apparently Supercop is the third one. The original is basically perfect Jackie Chan — what little story there is works, the supporting cast is great, even the straight comedy bits land 100%. Love a lot of Chan’s stuff but this is maybe the only one I wouldn’t fast-forward to the action.

Police Story II is a pretty big letdown afterward. All the business with his superiors around the station is still fun but the set pieces are a major step down.

The new prints are amazing, might pick up the blu. Had a surreal moment at my screening when an extremely hosed-up woman got carted off on a gurney while the audio from a big fight scene played over a blank screen.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999): D
A Coffee in Berlin (2012, German): B+
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962): A

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999): D

not a big fan?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

piratepilates posted:

not a big fan?

Not really, honestly. Maybe the earlier movies are better (this is the only one I've seen), but although this one had some decent jokes, it seems like the writers couldn't resist reminding you midway through "This is a joke, guys! You should be laughing! See how funny we are?!".

I guess :thejoke:, but a lot of the jokes went on far too long and they were too aware of it being a comedy. One reason Airplane! and Naked Gun work so well is that Nielsen was so talented at deadpanning his delivery that the jokes were almost unexpected. Austin Powers seemed to take so long laughing at its own jokes that it just didn't seem that funny to me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Airplane! is loving dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNkpIDBtC2c

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As long as you aren't someone who is afraid of subtitles, go see Shoplifters, it's a great, quirky film that I'm still thinking about three days later.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rick posted:

As long as you aren't someone who is afraid of subtitles, go see Shoplifters, it's a great, quirky film that I'm still thinking about three days later.

It's so good, and so politiclly subversive without a single political word being uttered.

It wrecked me.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My best of 2018 (I'm still working my way through the stuff I didn't see in theaters so cut me some slack..there's about 20 movies or so that could make this list like burning, cold war, etc once I catch up)
death of stalin
blindspotting
isle of dogs
you were never really here
upgrade
mandy
scruggs
roma
hereditary

honorable mentions:
sorry to bother you
blackkklansman
eighth grade
three indentical strangers
filmworker
border
vice
house jack built
searching

worst of 2018:
the predator
jurassic world 2
sicario 2
happytime murders
superfly
solo
acrimony
gringo
unsane
a wrinkle in time
pacific rim 2
the commuter

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shoplifters - 93/100
Sorry To Bother You - 87/100
A Star Is Born - 83/100
First Reformed - 91/100

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 6, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Not really, honestly. Maybe the earlier movies are better (this is the only one I've seen), but although this one had some decent jokes, it seems like the writers couldn't resist reminding you midway through "This is a joke, guys! You should be laughing! See how funny we are?!".

I guess :thejoke:, but a lot of the jokes went on far too long and they were too aware of it being a comedy. One reason Airplane! and Naked Gun work so well is that Nielsen was so talented at deadpanning his delivery that the jokes were almost unexpected. Austin Powers seemed to take so long laughing at its own jokes that it just didn't seem that funny to me.

There's only one movie prior to that, and if you didn't like SWSM for the reasons stated then I'd make sure to stay well clear of Goldmember.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Through a Glass Darkly (1961, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Winter Light (1963, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Silence (1963, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
Diaries, Notes, and Sketches: Walden (1969, Jonas Mekas) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
The Virgin Spring (1960, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
In the Mood for Love (2000, Wong Kar-Wai) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5

The Devil's Eye (1960, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
All These Women (1964, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 2.5/5
The Front (1976, Martin Ritt) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
The Passenger (1975, Michelangelo Antonioni) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
The Whales of August (1987, Lindsay Anderson) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

While I still need to see The Touch and The Serpent's Egg, All These Women is certainly the least good Bergman film I've seen - but I kind of liked its anarchic, surreal tone. It's a failure, but it at least looks pretty.

I'm really enjoying going through all these Bergman films for the first time. I've been going in order of the curated box set (skipping Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal since I've already seen them several times). The Faith Trilogy is certainly a highlight. I really enjoyed The Devil's Eye in how it's takes equal homage from Ernst Lubitsch and Benjamin Christhensen.

After hearing of Jonas Mekas passing away, I owed it to myself to see Walden. It's a brilliant film, even at three hours, literally working like a visual diary. It's one of the best films I've seen this year (along with The Silence).

In the Mood for Love doesn't have much plot, but it's stacked with beauty and humanity. It's a slow burn, but well worth it. I also enjoyed The Front. It's a little different to see Woody Allen in a more dramatic role, not to mention that Zero Mostel is great in anything he's ever been in. I think it meanders a little, but the last act is loving incredible. Likewise, I think The Passenger is my favorite Antonioni after Blow-Up (I've also seen Zabriskie Point and La Notte). The Whales of August is a lovely film - it's a little play-like, but it's worth it just for seeing Lillian Gish, Bette Davis, and Vincent Price in a film together.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Guilty (Den skyldige) 4.5/5

This is the kind of movie I personally find the most impressive. The latest Avengers is certainly a Marvelous achievement, but it's really minimalist films like this that rely entirely on the writing, acting (of a single person!) and cinematography to captivate your attention for almost 90 minutes that leave the biggest impact.

Our guy Asger is a cop that hosed something up and is on emergency desk duty until it's sorted out. After dealing with a few bullshit cases, he receives a call from a woman who was kidnapped by her ex husband and is being driven somewhere in a van. Working against the clock, he gets enough information together to send some cops to their children, who are home alone, and his partner to break into the guy's house. Eventually he coaches her on how to escape. I'm skipping some details but Asger of course does his best to help her out, while struggling to do the right thing (tm) and not get himself in more trouble by overstepping his boundaries.

During this entire time, the camera is focused on Asger and sometimes on the monitors he's looking at, and that's it. There might be a few lines of dialogue from some people in the background. This isn't the first thing that does something like this of course, but I think it works much better than most. While not quite the same, I thought Searching felt like a gimmick, but this feels like a clear and effective way of telling the story.

I think a big part of why films like these are interesting to me is that, theoretically at least, I could easily make a movie like this. I don't have the connections or the money to make another Spiderman movie, but I could take my DSLR to the office tomorrow, get some volunteer extras and film it after hours on location. But I can't, because that would place huge emphasis on my writing, directing and shooting skills, which are pretty much nonexistent, so yeah.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Through a Glass Darkly (1961, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Winter Light (1963, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Silence (1963, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 5/5

Would love to hear what you have to say about these, as The Silence was also what I would consider to be the standout of the three chamber dramas.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

My best of 2018

Nice. Some great stuff in there.

I'll jump on this train:

Best, in order:

10 - Vox Lux
9 - Isle of Dogs
8 - Roma
7 - First Man
6 - First Reformed
5 - If Beale Street Could Talk
4 - You Were Never Really Here
3 - Shoplifters
2 - Cold War
1 - Burning

Hon. mention, in no particular order:

# - The Tree of Life (criterion cut)
# - Mandy
# - Hereditary
# - Annihilation
# - Lean On Pete
# - Sorry To Bother You
# - Deadpool 2
# - Mathangi/Maya/MIA
# - The Favourite
# - Leave No Trace
# - Widows
# - Madeline's Madeline

Worst, in no particular order:

ø - Vice
ø - Aquaman
ø - A Quiet Place
ø - Avengers 3
ø - Free Solo
ø - Mission Impossible: Fallout
ø - Suspiria

Yet to see, but want to see:

* - BlackKklansman
* - Wildlife
* - Eighth Grade
* - Woman Walks Ahead
* - Mind The Gap

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Crash (1996): 9/10
Weiner (2016): 8/10
oh no he let everyone down
Suspiria (1977): 8/10
Police Story (1985): 8/10
Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened (2019): 8/10
Something Wild (1986): 8/10

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They Shall Not Grow Old - 5/5. Really impressive tech and a compelling narrative to make it even more worth the effort.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alita: Battle Angel - 88/100

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Alita would have been my favorite movie ever if it wasn't for some stiff acting, stuff happening in dumb ways in order to inelegantly achieve some result (Hugo getting stabbed for no loving good reason, and Alita letting him fall to his death even though she has literally the most advanced body ever made but can't use her legs or something to hold the guy? sheesh) and finally there being an ending that doesn't tie up the story. All that said, watching it in IMAX was a goddamn riot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you generally enjoyed action movies or anime then I definitely think you'll like Alita: Battle Angel. It's not perfect by any means but it's really cool and fun.

Cold Pursuit is fun, too, if you like dark comedies and aren't too caught up in plot holes and such you might like this one.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I thought Tully was a mostly interesting domestic drama, with a really good performance from Theron, before it flies completely off the rails in the last 20 minutes. I honestly can’t believe I hadn’t heard about this completely dumbass twist ending but I guess zero people are interested in anything from Reitman and Cody at this point

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I recently watched several classics.

On The Waterfront (1954): B+
I can see why right-wingers supposedly love this movie so much, but you don't have to be anti-union to stand up to corruption.

The Maltese Falcon (1941): B+
Bogart seemed to excel in hard-boiled roles like Sam Spade. Great movie, and I can definitely see how it inspired an entire genre of movies.

Up (2009): A
Not exactly what I was expecting, but I wasn't disappointed. Some really interesting themes about aging and death.

e: Forgot one.

Battleground (1949): A
Feels like a pretty accurate depiction of front-line combat in WW2. I really dug seeing a young Ricardo Montalban as one of the soldiers, enjoying his first glimpse of snow (his character was from L.A)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 21, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tomorrowland (2015) is a movie that dares to dream the dream of "goddamn there's a lot of morlocks on Earth. Thank god we have the Small Wonder girl to whisk away the Ubermensches to Rapture" Also, Keegan Michael-Key plays a murderous Comic Book Guy.

D

The Fate of The Furious (2017) is finally a truly bad Fast & Furious movie (4 was merely dull), and I love the Fast franchise. It's so super-serious, and lacks any of the joy of watching what a kid playing with his matchbox cars and GI Joes who was given a $100m budget would do. Pay Justin Lin whatever he wants to come back and rescue Fast 9 please.

C-

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 21, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Never Look Away - 70/100

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sawdust and Tinsel (1953, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
The Rite (1969, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Magic Flute (1975, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
After the Rehearsal (1984, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Nanook of the North (1922, Robert Flaherty) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

The Touch (1971, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 2/5
The Serpent's Egg (1977, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Some Call It Loving (1973, James B. Harris) [Blu-ray] - 2/5
Come Back, Africa (1959, Lionel Rogosin) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Trigger, Jr. (1950, William Witney) [Blu-ray] - 3/5

Stan & Ollie (2018, Jon S. Baird) [theatrical] - 4.5/5
Persona (1966, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 5/5 (rewatch)
The Seventh Seal (1957, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray - 4K restoration] - 5/5 (rewatch)
Liv & Ingmar (2012, Dheeraj Akolkar) - 4/5
Ingmar Bergman (1972, Stig Bjorkman) - 4/5 (making-of for The Touch, better than the film itself)

Bergman Island (2006, Marie Nyrerod) - 4.5/5
An American in Sophiatown (2007, Earl Lloyd Ross) - 3.5/5 (making-of for Come Back, Africa)
The Big Lebowski (1998, Joel Coen) [UHD] - 4.5/5
Miller's Crossing (1990, Joel Coen) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Thirst (1949, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 3/5

Port of Call (1948, Ingmar Bergman) [Blu-ray] - 2.5/5
Legend (1985, Ridley Scott) [Blu-ray - director's cut] - 2.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The MCU (from Ironman to Antman and the Wasp)

I just finished binging the entirety of the MCU movies, to date. I didnt bother with the shows, which I will explain later.

I am not a big comic book fan and aside from seeing and enjoying the Keaton/Bale Batman films, I generally avoided comic book movies. I also saw the first Ironman, which I enjoyed and the first Avengers, which I despised.

My love for norse mythology led me to finally watch Thor Ragnarok, which I thought was great. After that I thought to give the whole MCU a fair shake from the beginning. Instead of reviewing each movie individually I will separate them into three categories and give you a general idea of what I thought works and what doesnt. Here goes:

The Good

Thor Ragnarok
Ironman
Guardians of the Galaxy
Doctor Strange
Ant Man
Ant Man and the Wasp
Black Panther

The Bad (Mediocre)

Everything not listed

The Ugly

The Avengers (all 3)
Thor:The Dark World
Ironman 2

The movies I enjoyed were all fun and rooted in the fact that they were influenced by comic books. They don't take themsekves too seriously and also have plots that are mostly self contained. The characters are fun and the writing is good. The action isnt overdone or over edited.

The movies that are bad are ironically The Avenger movies, where you have all these characters come together. I originally saw the first Avengers at a corporate release party when working for Pepsi. Lets just say that once you know Pepsi is a corporate sponsor, it is impossible to not be overwhelmed by product placement when watching the movie. These movies are particularly bad because nothing happens in them that matters. Ever.

Theres a really emotional scene at the end of Infinity War where Spiderman "dies", except its impossible to care when you are already aware that a new Spiderman movie is in production. Every single one of these characters has plot armor; no exceptions. The Avengers have now become really bloated, constantly introducing new characters without ending the arcs of others.

The actual Avenger films boil down to all of these characters joining together and just causing havoc. They got tossed around like ragdolls, never sustaining injuries whether human or gods or mutants or whatever. The cities around them suffer massive infrastructural damage only to have it forgotten weeks later. Nothing that happens has consequences. Now, obviously you have to suspend disbelief to enjoy these movies which I dont have an issue doing thus leading to tge biggest issue with me not being able to enjoy the Avenger movies; there is no relativity.

None of these heroes have strength relative to each other. Thor is a god and can probably take on Thanos one on one with his hammer...but he cant beat Hulk; but Hulk can't beat Thanos either. Thor and Hulk together couldnt take on Hel on Asgard, but she was easily killed by Surt, who was earlier killed easily by Thor. What it amounts to on screen is these characters being as strong or weak as the scene demands and usually just results in them getting kicked into cars and buildings, blowing stuff up causing what is likely many civilian deaths. In one scene in my favorite movie of the series (Ragnarok), Bruce Banner jumps out of a plane expecting to turn into the Hulk. Instead he crashes into the ground, which is a hilarious visual gag, but really he should have died on impact. It works in Ragnarok because Ragnarok is fun.

Anyways, im not a professional writer so my ramblings may be somewhat incoherent, so I do apologize.

TLDR:

Some real fun gems; mostly mediocre action movies; the 3 Avengers films are horrendously bloated disasters of no consequence; Thor 2 and Ironman 2 were missteps.