Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Now is the accumulation phase, revolution is later, obviously (I spend too much time among the coiners).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Lambert posted:

Now is the accumulation phase, revolution is later, obviously (I spend too much time among the coiners).

:wrong:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

stdh.txt

This hodler finally cashed out some bitcoin but for the right reason. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 hours ago * by cooriahredditor for 3 months

TL;DR - I helped people that trust me to make their 1st plunge into Bitcoin.

Like most of us, I am a crypto enthusiast surrounded by family & friend cynics. I eventually learned to not be "that jerk everyone knows that keeps preaching", as Andreas Antonopoulos warns us against being. To my surprise, some folks that used to warn me against crypto have now invited me to dinner and asked me to be their guide into this world. They wanted one complete bitcoin for every child they have. They didn't want to open an account online or meet a stranger in a parking lot. They knew I've been accumulating for some time.

I gave them two of my own extra hardware wallet devices. I showed them how to create the decoy wallet and their passphrase-protected real wallet. I had them sync both devices to be replicas of each other so they have their primary device and emergency backup.

I gave them a crypto steel storage unit and a padlock for it to keep it in the shut position.

I explained how their hardware devices' pin codes are local and their mnemonic seed transcends them. I also explained the basics of how to keep their savings secure and how people have been victim to theft before.

I think they're good to go now. I really enjoyed receiving this surprise request. Next time I'll be more ready. I'll buy two more hardware wallets, and another crypto steel with padlock as a "starter kit" waiting on the shelf. Maybe you should get your starter kit ready too. Your own personal skeptics may come surprise you too soon.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
there's decoy wallets now? in my day you just needed a few gallons of epoxy and a birdbath :corsair:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

quote:

New ledger owners: you can have a "main" wallet and a hidden one on your Ledger Nano S.
With your 24 word seed, and with the PIN, you unlock your main wallet.

But you can add a 25th word, what they call a passphrase, and that is another wallet entirely. You can set a secondary PIN that unlocks it. It is not a "password" that encrypts your wallet, it's more like a hidden wallet derived from your 24 word seed.

It's an entire new wallet, that works for all your coins, not only Bitcoin.

Benefits:

25th word is a security that protects your entire wallet. You should not memorize 24 words, but you can memorize one and write the other 24.

ThisIsABeginning 1 year ago
Awesome! This is EXACTLY what I needed to know. The $5 wrench attack ‘ be foiled!

quote:

Neologic291 year ago
If you miss type the PIN #2 three times, does it wipe only that wallet or both wallets?

cryptosnake1 year ago
It wipes the device. You always restore the device using only your 24 word (main wallet), then after you are done, you set up the passphrase access (hidden wallet).

So... if you mistype PIN #1 or #2 three times, it wipes your Ledger configuration, along with your wallet, as if you had just bought it.
fun!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
sounds like a great party gag

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

quote:

kill-sto1 year ago
Be careful.

I was stupid and did this a few weeks ago after being awake for over 24 hours. The Ledger Nano S doesn't make you retype the passphrase and only makes you confirm it via a yes/no prompt. After resetting the ledger I don't have access to any funds.

I know what I intended to enter so I must have typod the passphrase initially. I will have to brute force (search space should be small enough) the passphrase once I get some code written to do it. Normal brute-forcing won't work since all passphrase are valid

i still don't get why this whole bitcoin thing hasn't taken off

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I love reciting the 14 words that unlock my nationalist bitcoin wallet

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Splicer posted:

It's OK I got it

Boxturret posted:

aren't you required to get that in order to post on the something awful forums?

i dunno whether you’re talking about zyborne clock or timecube. was saying i feel old because dude mistook a timecube reference as a zyborne reference.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

i dunno whether you’re talking about zyborne clock or timecube. was saying i feel old because dude mistook a timecube reference as a zyborne reference.

i thought it was both

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
its what the kids call a "mush-up"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KnifeWrench posted:

its what the kids call a "mush-up"

nice username/post combo

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

quote:

25th word is a security that protects your entire wallet. You should not memorize 24 words, but you can memorize one and write the other 24.

:allears:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
ok im totally going to mash the keyboard and return key as hard and fast as i can if i ever find a buttcoin wallet in the wild

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

...! posted:

I eventually learned to not be "that jerk everyone knows that keeps preaching", as Andreas Antonopoulos warns us against being.=
:ironicat:

it doesn't say he actually gave them any bitcoin, just wallets and a padlock, so that lends some plausibility

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
interesting summary of a talk about the how the fuzz tracked ross down...

quote:

Der-Yeghiayan told an enthralled audience at France's FIC2019 infosec shindig last week how, as a US Department of Homeland Security Investigations agent, he took over the online chat and forum accounts of key players in the Silk Road's infrastructure – and headed off plans by hot-headed US law enforcement to blast the back wall off Ulbricht's San Francisco home and fast-rope from helicopters into his top-floor flat.

...that ends with proof, once again, that mark did nothing wrong

quote:

Der-Yeghiayan was last seen on El Reg in 2015 when the trial judge halted courtroom questioning of him about his early theory that another dodgy Bitcoin bod, Mark Karpeles, operator of real-cash-to-cryptocurrency exchange Mt. Gox, was in fact the operator of the Silk Road.

In fact what happened, as he acknowledged at the end of his talk in Lille, was that Karpeles' VPN hosting company had acted as a legitimate middleman for Ulbricht and registered some web domains for him. Without the full evidence, Der-Yeghiayan had drawn the wrong conclusion from the limited information he had. "It was just coincidence for him. You follow every little lead you get, sometimes it doesn't pan out."

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Weatherman posted:

ok im totally going to mash the keyboard and return key as hard and fast as i can if i ever find a buttcoin wallet in the wild

:wrong:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
i am about to go to a programming conference, i wonder if i will encounter any butt coiners (unlikely as i will huddle by myself and not make eye contact with anyone like a good nerd)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Hammerite posted:

i am about to go to a programming conference, i wonder if i will encounter any butt coiners (unlikely as i will huddle by myself and not make eye contact with anyone like a good nerd)

Ask people about stairs in their house.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

it's not that you can decline to meet butters, it's they are like ticks and will leap onto you from their current host to try to bleed your attention dry

i recommend mace for prophylactic measures

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

no bitcoin mascot, clearly a shady fly-by-night operation. avoid

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kw0134 posted:

i recommend a mace for prophylactic measures

ftfy

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

The Kins posted:

interesting summary of a talk about the how the fuzz tracked ross down...

...that ends with proof, once again, that mark did nothing wrong

i’m dodgy bitcoin bod Mark

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im sad there was a tangential connection, i always thought they just tried to blame mark because they were evil and full of wrongness

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

nerds typically have maluses to their strength and agility rolls, so you want an attack with a low difficulty check

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kw0134 posted:

nerds typically have maluses to their strength and agility rolls, so you want an attack with a low difficulty check

So mace as an AoE? I like it!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Lambert posted:

Ask people about stairs in their house.

someone actually came up and asked me that like a decade ago. super awkward

oh my god, i've been here for fifteen years

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Why i still hold my Bitcoin after losing around 1.9 Million Dollars (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 8 hours ago * by bitcoin234142redditor for a day

Throwaway for obvious reasons.

I accumulated Bitcoin from early 2013 till 2017 and all bought and traded around to 100 Bitcoins.

Did a lot of Crypto Trading in that timeframe, specially on btc-e.com, a Russian crypto gambling and trading site which was seized by the US Government.

Thankfully I had a good nose and traded all LTC I bought there to BTC and send it to myself 2 weeks before the site was shut down. At the time that was around 17 Bitcoins. Never leave your coins in an exchange.

Then 2017 came and i was a financial idiot at the time. Well after trading some more real money for some Coins I had a + of 2.350 Million Dollars.

And I didn’t sell anything but my investment of around 90k.

Now I think It was a stupid move. One of my main causes then was the Tax money I owned in some trades and I would have payed around 400k+ in Taxes which I would have liked to avoid. Maybe you can guess the country. Still – it was retarded and I know it. On the other hand, If I always had done everything from the book I would have never had such an uprising.

It also was the 5th or 6th time I had witnessed a crash. Same business as usual I thought, money can get blurry even if it´s in this magnitude.

Well, to now. January of 2019. I still have around 400.000 Dollars in Crypto, payed my taxes I owned form Crypto and iam very fortuned in life in general, so I guess I don´t mind as much as I should.

Now why do I still hold?

After seeing the manpower that was poured into Bitcoin and Blockchain development, the Education that was offered and the overall praise of Bitcoin in general – I want to hold.

I believe with the next halving in May 2020, the real Bullrun will come if the Stars align. When some form of governmental recognition and an easy to use application for buying is in place till then, we will see a hopefully meteoric rise. If average joe can buy Bitcoin easy with an App and the Media picks up the hype.

On the other hand, maybe the damage is done and no one cares anymore. But Bitcoin is still the same it was one or two or ten years ago.

Nothing changed, it just got better.

Just my story, you can make of it what you like.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

BTCkoning 38 points 7 hours ago*

In hindsight i should have sold anything possible when i came across bitcoin and should have gone all in. (Even after 2017 i would still be very happy).

But we can't invest in hindsight unfortunately.

For example, many will cash out on the next bull run at or around there previous buys or the last time ATH. Only to totally miss the next big run. You have to be in it to win it.

It is a bubble who popped indeed. But unlike tulips or ico's bitcoin will just stay around in a dark alley until the interest in bitcoin start to light a fire again. This is actually a powerful feature of bitcoin which will mind blow people away. People notice bitcoin ATH at sometimes. Than they see it crash (they think aha! i told you i was right about bitcoin being a ponzi blablabla), but then it rises a 10x above the point were they saw it last time going wrong. At that point something likely changed in there minds.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

...! posted:

BTCkoning 38 points 7 hours ago*

In hindsight i should have sold anything possible when i came across bitcoin and should have gone all in. (Even after 2017 i would still be very happy).

But we can't invest in hindsight unfortunately.

For example, many will cash out on the next bull run at or around there previous buys or the last time ATH. Only to totally miss the next big run. You have to be in it to win it.

It is a bubble who popped indeed. But unlike tulips or ico's bitcoin will just stay around in a dark alley until the interest in bitcoin start to light a fire again. This is actually a powerful feature of bitcoin which will mind blow people away. People notice bitcoin ATH at sometimes. Than they see it crash (they think aha! i told you i was right about bitcoin being a ponzi blablabla), but then it rises a 10x above the point were they saw it last time going wrong. At that point something likely changed in there minds.

buddy i hate to break it to you but tulips still exist

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

But Bitcoin is still the same it was one or two or ten years ago.

how can they say stuff like this and not get concerned

TEN years and bitcoin is still as bad as it was when it first fell out of satoshi's quivering ovipositor

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

why just the other month i saw some ironman beanie babies splattered with some mysterious dried white fluid in the local grocery store

...!
Oct 5, 2003

$312,000 Kraken Account being Close - I'm being forced to Buy Bitcoin With the Cash Within 24 hours (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 hours ago * by Rob768

(In case Kraken is paying attention, the ticket number is: 2057654)

I've had a Kraken account for over 3 years now. I have done millions in transactions and have withdrawn hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of these 3 years without problem. I verified my account up all the tiers, and the bitcoin I received was from legitimate business dealings back in 2011-2012 when bitcoin was worth much much less.

So last week I went to withdraw $200k in cash. Kraken contacted me telling me I need to send them additional tax returns from my business, which I did as proof of funds. Of course since the money was earned 8 years ago, none of this would actually show a proof of funds. (also note I have withdrawn over $700,000 from kraken in the past)

Two days ago Kraken emailed me telling me that they are closing my account and can't say why. They then told me that I have to withdraw the 4 BTC I have in the account as well as the $290,000 I have in my account in cash, but that I first need to purchase bitcoin or other cryptos which I can then withdraw.

Kraken is basically forcing me to buy bitcoin or other cryptos with cash I had in my account since 2017. They are giving me 24 hours to do this.

Meanwhile I have no other crypto accounts elsewhere and I don;t want to risk the price of bitcoin dropping between now and whenever I figure out how to sell it elsewhere. Here's the latest email I got as proof:

quote:

Thank you for contacting Kraken.

Unfortunately, for security purposes, we cannot disclose the reason for this action. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Please withdraw your current within the next 24 hours (from the time and date of this message). Additionally, we are requesting that the funds be converted to cryptocurrency and the balance withdrawn that way.

After the 24 hours have passed, your account will be closed.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to respond to this message. Thank you.

Best Regards,WarrenKraken Client Engagement Team

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

lol if you think i'm going outside to verify that

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
kraken customer is being investigated for money laundering, tax evasion, or both

imagine being so filthy a butt exchange drops you like you’re hot

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so is bitcoin some sort of make a wish type thing but for those terminally bad with money?

they get to pretend to be big shot investors making millions before everything collapses and the fauxtons of the world catch up with them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

...! posted:

$312,000 Kraken Account being Close - I'm being forced to Buy Bitcoin With the Cash Within 24 hours (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 hours ago * by Rob768

(In case Kraken is paying attention, the ticket number is: 2057654)

I've had a Kraken account for over 3 years now. I have done millions in transactions and have withdrawn hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of these 3 years without problem. I verified my account up all the tiers, and the bitcoin I received was from legitimate business dealings back in 2011-2012 when bitcoin was worth much much less.

So last week I went to withdraw $200k in cash. Kraken contacted me telling me I need to send them additional tax returns from my business, which I did as proof of funds. Of course since the money was earned 8 years ago, none of this would actually show a proof of funds. (also note I have withdrawn over $700,000 from kraken in the past)

Two days ago Kraken emailed me telling me that they are closing my account and can't say why. They then told me that I have to withdraw the 4 BTC I have in the account as well as the $290,000 I have in my account in cash, but that I first need to purchase bitcoin or other cryptos which I can then withdraw.

Kraken is basically forcing me to buy bitcoin or other cryptos with cash I had in my account since 2017. They are giving me 24 hours to do this.

Meanwhile I have no other crypto accounts elsewhere and I don;t want to risk the price of bitcoin dropping between now and whenever I figure out how to sell it elsewhere. Here's the latest email I got as proof:

from the comments...

quote:

I presume you know (the real reason) why the bank is no longer willing to process fiat payments for you, and why Kraken has to close your account. The recommendation is to withdraw your funds in crypto before they are frozen indefinitely. Of course, you don't have to buy crypto with your fiat, or even withdraw it. We can't guarantee a timely return of your fiat if you choose to leave it in your account at the time of closure.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm the totally legitimate law-abiding exchange that gives you a chance to move your money out of your account before the feds get there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/EdKrassen/status/1090266179791286274?s=20

hmmm