Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was disappointed in how Warren dealt with the DNA poo poo, but I’m hoping that she learned from that disaster and will be better for it.

She’s still far and away the best non-Bernie candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Brown will be a very good non- Bernie option too.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i dunno his campaign prologue being "what if medicare for all but for cops" raises some questions

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Brown is the only candidate who guarantees a Republican Senate, which is, uh, not great.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pylons posted:

Isn't Matt Bruenig the guy who tried to claim that "women and PoC" were responsible for Trump's victory?

Not exactly - the piece I think you're referring to, entitled "Women and people of color make up the majority of the Trump coalition," is more of a commentary on the common implication in the media that everyone who voted for Trump was a white male. It's admittedly pretty misleading of him to lump POCs in with white women, as if they were an equal share, but the point is a valid one: white women broke decisively for Trump, and he got way more POC votes than he had any business getting.

He overstates his case in this one, but if you read it, you'll see that it's intended to be a response to the media narrative.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 29, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

That said, the thing that spooks me about Warren is not that she is a cluelessly racist wealthy white woman, that’s fairly normal. It’s scary, however, that she talks about “fixing capitalism” and “making markets work” because that signals a fundamental inability to understand the issues we’re facing in the 21st Century.

While this is definitely true, Warren at least clears the bar where, if Bernie ends up not running (which I still have a sinking feeling about!), she's good enough that I'll openly boost her against the other Democratic candidates. The wealth tax thing basically pushed her from "neutral" (as opposed to "bad" for all other non-Warren/Bernie options) to "a bit good." That article about how Wall Street bankers are only concerned about Bernie and her is also something in her favor.

mcmagic posted:

Hell no, there've been at least a couple things that should have set off alarms for him. He would definitely not push for M4A, and that's a pretty low bar, especially in this election (where even the likes of Kamala Harris are using it as a slogan). Warren is really the only non-Bernie option that I'm not 100% convinced would be bad.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Majorian posted:

Not exactly - the piece I think you're referring to, entitled"Women and people of color make up the majority of the Trump coalition," is more of a commentary on the common implication in the media that everyone who voted for Trump was a white male. It's a little misleading of him to lump POCs in with white women, as if they were an equal share, but the point is a valid one: white women broke decisively for Trump, and he got way more POC votes than he had any business getting.

I think "a little misleading" is probably putting it extremely mildly, but I'll concede that the point behind the article is valid.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pylons posted:

I think "a little misleading" is probably putting it extremely mildly, but I'll concede that the point behind the article is valid.

Fair point, edited.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ytlaya posted:

Hell no, there've been at least a couple things that should have set off alarms for him. He would definitely not push for M4A, and that's a pretty low bar, especially in this election (where even the likes of Kamala Harris are using it as a slogan). Warren is really the only non-Bernie option that I'm not 100% convinced would be bad.
He'll be on M4A. It's going to be the mainstream position every candidate is going to have to take.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

skylined! posted:

Hillary was last seen eating a churro in Puerto Rico so who knows.

no, really

https://twitter.com/hillaryclinton/status/1089998686015422464?s=21

hurricane relief for entrepreneurs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/WillisJermane/status/1089983025713213440

mcmagic posted:

It's Bernie, bitch.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dunno his campaign prologue being "what if medicare for all but for cops" raises some questions

love the totally uncritical and unexamined cop worship in America that's utterly ignorant of the role that law enforcers served in history stretching back over literal millennia of years

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

a dem running on the slogan "dignity in work" is woefully out of touch with the populace.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Her laughing there as she's describing government oppression is really creepy.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mcmagic posted:

Her laughing there as she's describing government oppression is really creepy.

It's weird how she's describing the case because she's saying they were getting that mom and her kids the services she needs so that the kids can go to school and such, but it was at the threat of prosecution otherwise. Like, why not just just help her out and not press charges at all???

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It's weird how she's describing the case because she's saying they were getting that mom and her kids the services she needs so that the kids can go to school and such, but it was at the threat of prosecution otherwise. Like, why not just just help her out and not press charges at all???

I hope someone finds the woman she’s talking about because I bet the outcome was worse than she’s leading on.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Responding to some poo poo from like 5 pages ago:

Banning private colleges is moronic. The super rich will just buy their way into top tier schools in some other country. Unless you want to bomb Oxford or Cambridge or whatever it won't achieve anything useful.

Also, a lot of private schools with really high sticker prices are actually cheaper than public schools unless you're an international student or extremely wealthy. I went to a private school for undergrad and the only people I know who paid anything close to the full price were rich foreign students. Actually, at my undergrad, anyone from the county where the school was located got an automatic full ride. The real problem is that most people don't know this and assume public school is the only option if they're not rich.

I'm all for funding public colleges better and I'm 100% for free tuition (because I'm about to have a useless Ph.D and would like to have a job, if for no other reason) but as someone who's currently employed as an instructor at a "flagship" public school, these 500 person classes aren't for everyone and some students would definitely have a far better experience at a smaller (therefore private) school. At least the UC system where I work, there are super strong incentives to rush as many students through a degree as fast as possible and I think it's a Good Thing to have institutions with a mission that doesn't strive to be so brutally efficient.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

For the last few decades, Centrist Democrats have labored under the delusion that women candidates need to show that they're TOUGH ON CRIME, RAAAAAAARGH!!! And the only way to do that, of course, is to be draconian against the most vulnerable demographics in the country.

The fact that this, in fact, doesn't actually earn them very many, if any, votes, doesn't ever seem to deter Democratic strategists from insisting on it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gnumonic posted:

Responding to some poo poo from like 5 pages ago:

are any candidates in the race proposing the abolition of private colleges though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Majorian posted:

For the last few decades, Centrist Democrats have labored under the delusion that women candidates need to show that they're TOUGH ON CRIME, RAAAAAAARGH!!! And the only way to do that, of course, is to be draconian against the most vulnerable demographics in the country.

The fact that this, in fact, doesn't actually earn them very many, if any, votes, doesn't ever seem to deter Democratic strategists from insisting on it.

The Republicans have been incredibly good at defining the discourse in a way that makes it their home turf and Democrats desperately need to appease them to make up for the shame of not being Republicans.

Meanwhile,

https://twitter.com/TopRopeTravis/status/1089909214213038081

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mcmagic posted:

He'll be on M4A. It's going to be the mainstream position every candidate is going to have to take.

I would bet actual money that he would not strongly push for it if elected, given he wasn't willing to support M4A as late as those recent-ish comments where he mentioned preferring Medicare at 55. It's unlikely to pass even if Bernie is elected, but that makes it even more important that we have a president who at least rhetorically pushes strongly for it, instead of one who quickly drops the bar to Medicare at 55 (or whatever).

edit: And this isn't even getting into the whole "strong support from insurers" thing, which makes him even less reliable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/MCappetta/status/1089924480770686976

33 million free eyeballs can't be wrong baby!!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This pains me to say but I think Harris might be better at town halls (And possibly debates) than Obama.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

This pains me to say but I think Harris might be better at town halls (And possibly debates) than Obama.

I don't think so at all. She comes off almost immediately as inauthentic.
Though I don't think it matters. The percentage of people that actually sits down and watches these things at the primary stage is minuscule. She will get fawning praise continuously, especially on CNN and from the pod bros, and that ultimately may be enough.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 29, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

joepinetree posted:

I don't think so at all. She comes off almost immediately as unauthentic.
Though I don't think it matters. The percentage of people that actually sits down and watches these things at the primary stage is minuscule. She will get fawning praise continuously, especially on CNN and from the pod bros, and that ultimately may be enough.

I think she has an appeal to a certain small subset of voters in the sense that she sounds like "a competent coworker/manager in a professional setting" (which is something that is going to appeal to a lot of people who work in fields like that). Even Hillary had that to some extent. But that's a very limited sort of charisma that doesn't work with most people.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

im not convinced it's a small subset she is probably going to be a top contender for a variety of reasons

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

im not convinced it's a small subset she is probably going to be a top contender for a variety of reasons

Don't get me wrong. Given the treatment that she received from the media today i think she's the favorite. Still doesn't make her charismatic, especially in comparison to Obama.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

well

I think she has a certain different sort of charisma even if that is not appealing to people here

but you're right she's not really comparable to Obama he came from a community activism background kind of real different narratives there

very few politicians are actually as charismatic as Obama anyways

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

why not kamala "top cop" harris in the poll?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

it's wrong to call kamala a cop anyways because anyone that did their homework would know in the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate but equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime, and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. these are their stories.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

joepinetree posted:

Don't get me wrong. Given the treatment that she received from the media today i think she's the favorite. Still doesn't make her charismatic, especially in comparison to Obama.
oh no, not the media that everyone loving hates by now

all is lost :eng99:

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

oh and that video of bernie doing some international outreach while kamala was busy at UC learning the skills she would need later in life to toss homeless mothers in prison

abandon hope

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

oh no, not the media that everyone loving hates by now

all is lost :eng99:

Trust in the media is at a record high among Democrats.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Are liberals dumber than conservatives?

They must be.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

That’s the thing here. There’s no cause for jailing parents except as particularly brutal form of “deterrence”. I guess it’s a sign of our culture that the go to deterrent for any behavior is jail time, but it sucks

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Z. Autobahn posted:

After tonight, Harris feels real formidable to me; she's basically just running an AU of "what if Hillary Clinton was a smooth savvy professional and not a giant incompetent weirdo". She's inauthentic, but in a very different way from Hillary (slick smooth lawyer rather than focus-group churning secretive goober). TBH I think it really comes down to how much the people who voted for HRC care about her record vs what she's saying now (I'm not hopeful...)

I seem to remember that most of this forum was absolutely convinced that Hillary was a smooth savvy professional last time around, so forgive me if I take this with a grain of salt.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

There's a new Washington Post-ABC News poll out suggesting there really is no front runner to the Democratic primary. When asked an open-ended question about whom they would support, 56% of Democratic-leaning voters said they had no preference on the nominee. Among those voters who did have a preference, no candidate got above 9%.

Also:

quote:

Democrats also are divided over the issue that was most important to them. When given a list of four options, 31 percent said “improving the health-care system,” 21 percent said “reducing economic inequality,” 18 percent said “reducing racial and gender discrimination” and 15 percent said “combating global warming.”

Older Democrats put a greater priority on health care as an issue, while younger ones are more likely than seniors to prioritize economic inequality and global warming. Liberals and white Democrats are more likely to prioritize global warming. Nonwhite Democrats are more likely to prioritize reducing gender and racial discrimination.

e: im assuming the 4% for trump is just the entire state of west virginia???

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 29, 2019

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I'm kind of stunned no one else was asking an open ended question like that.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Isn't her father a professor that's written books describing black communities as colonies and the police as an occupying army? I'm getting the impression she took the exact wrong lesson from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hey guys, politico compiled a list of candidates you should shun, and ones you should vote for in the primary.

the ones you should shun:

quote:

After mentioning Bloomberg, Wall Street executives who want Trump out list a consistent roster of appealing nominees that includes former Vice President Joe Biden and Sens. Cory Booker of New Jersey, Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and Kamala Harris of California. Others meriting mention: former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, former Maryland Rep. John Delaney and former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke, though fewally know his positions.

the ones you should vote for:

quote:

Bankers’ biggest fear: The nomination goes to an anti-Wall Street crusader like Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) or Sanders. “It can’t be Warren and it can’t be Sanders,” said the CEO of another giant bank. “It has to be someone centrist and someone who can win.”

ok, so that means this thread is now the sanders vs warren zone.