Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
10 bux per gig is too high compare to other prepaid options.

And they never changed the price make you wonder if goog is doing it as a hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Blue Train posted:

Isn't the smart network switching one of the things that doesn't work with unapproved phones? Those fi prices are still stupid high imo also

The phone would have to support both networks, which most non-Fi phones do not. To clarify, while I'm on Fi I can only access T-Mobile towers, which have a very good signal where I am so I really don't miss the ability to jump from one carrier to the next.

tino posted:

And they never changed the price make you wonder if goog is doing it as a hobby.

Granted its not ideal if you use a lot of mobile data...but if you just use your data to bridge gaps between WiFi networks its quite economical. I usually come in under 2 GB/month of data and rarely have a bill higher than $40.

On the upside they stop charging $10 per additional GB past 6 GB, so while it may not be cost-competitive vs. prepaid it does compete with most other post-paid unlimited plans.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 7, 2019

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

tmo backend, simple mobile

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Still happy with the Unlimited Cricket plan I've been using for a few years now. $55 a month with 23GB at 8mbps of which I usually use 15-20 a month. I guess they've made their unlimited plans worse since I first got it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Cricket coverage just turned to poo poo here in Central Mississippi. Maybe it's because I'm literally around the corner from C Spire's headquarters, but all three of my buds that use Cricket have noticed a marked loss of quality lately. Very slow internet, often no signal (in half of my house and in my office which is just poo poo) plus weird instances of, in certain spots at work and home, what looks like a strong signal and I can text, etc, but when people call me it goes straight to VM.

Thinking of switching to Fi

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

These days Republic is $15/mo for the base unlimited call/text and $5/gig for data. Sadly, they no longer refund the unused portion of the data at the end of the month, but this still falls into "cheap as hell" territory.

I've had no problems at all with their service, and the coverage is fine if you're anywhere near civilization, but the biggest drawback is the very limited list of supported phones.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

tino posted:

I think it's more of an experiment in getting people to be on Fi without consuming much data. Then they can approach more networks and say if they allow Fi traffic it won't really matter because none of their users consume data anyway. They'll move to competition-crushing prices if people aren't turning their noses up at the coverage map anymore.

Geoj posted:

Fi just recently opened up BYOD, and FWIW you've pretty much always been able to do so if you're willing to put up with a few functions not working correctly (MMS and VVM didn't work for the longest time) providing you had a Fi-approved phone to activate your SIM on. I've been on Fi with a Oneplus 3T since January of last year.

I heard non-Fi devices actually only use T-Mobile and nothing else, and this person was coming from Verizon so that's just not acceptable. In that case Cricket/ATT both has better coverage and lower prices. So it's a no-brainer.

But if Fi devices can switch (even if you have to reboot) that would be worth knowing.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

revwinnebago posted:

I heard non-Fi devices actually only use T-Mobile and nothing else, and this person was coming from Verizon so that's just not acceptable. In that case Cricket/ATT both has better coverage and lower prices. So it's a no-brainer.

But if Fi devices can switch (even if you have to reboot) that would be worth knowing.

I'm curious about this as well. My understanding after looking at porting in an iphone about year ago was that you could swap towers manually if you needed to. It would suck if they "supported" more phones by making it worse.

Google FI is a very weird product for Google because all their other services give you as much bandwidth and storage as you goddamn please instead of asking you to gamble on how many very expensive gigabytes you'll end up using month to month

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

revwinnebago posted:

Not really sure where you're getting this from, I re-read the entire post and there's nothing about T-Mobile being unacceptable.

FWIW I was just addressing the "wife wants a OP6T but its not on the Fi approved devices list" comment.

Clark Nova posted:

Google FI is a very weird product for Google because all their other services give you as much bandwidth and storage as you goddamn please instead of asking you to gamble on how many very expensive gigabytes you'll end up using month to month

They used to do this - ballpark X GB of data you think you'll go through in a month, then your bill consists of $20 for talk/text, $X for your projected data needs and $Y difference between that amount and what you actually use.

Now its $20 for talk/text and pay-as-you-go data up to 6 GB @ $10/GB, transitioning to unlimited data after that.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Geoj posted:

Not really sure where you're getting this from, I re-read the entire post and there's nothing about T-Mobile being unacceptable.

"this person" is my wife / person I'm buying for.

Geoj posted:

FWIW I was just addressing the "wife wants a OP6T but its not on the Fi approved devices list" comment.

Non-supported compatible devices don't seem to be a good buy imho. T-Mobile is already an international carrier, so the international coverage is already okay for buying straight T-Mobile, which is cheaper. The only other major feature for me is Hangouts integration. Thanks to Google dragging their heels on their roadmap, Hangouts was silently sunset a while back. In security-paranoid terms nobody should be using it. Google wants to move all the features to Messenger... theoretically... maybe... in 2020. This sucks hard.

https://9to5google.com/2018/12/02/google-hangouts-shutting-down/

Geoj posted:

They used to do this - ballpark X GB of data you think you'll go through in a month, then your bill consists of $20 for talk/text, $X for your projected data needs and $Y difference between that amount and what you actually use.

The "guess your usage" is just a gimmick. Data is prorated to the cent.

Ex:
usage (for Oct 13 - Nov 13)
Used 2.042 GB at $10/GB
$20.42

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

revwinnebago posted:

Thanks to Google dragging their heels on their roadmap, Hangouts was silently sunset a while back. In security-paranoid terms nobody should be using it. Google wants to move all the features to Messenger... theoretically... maybe... in 2020. This sucks hard.

https://9to5google.com/2018/12/02/google-hangouts-shutting-down/

9to5Google's article is really not something to use as reference. They got all of that information from an incorrect source. When they were called out on it by the guy at Google who runs Hangouts, they refused to retract what they said and were really snarky about it in response to him.

After more blogs posted the incorrect information, Google clarified in an official blog post that Hangouts is NOT shutting down in 2020 or anytime. It will just basically be renamed to Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet and consumers are free to use it as well.

9to5Google is still sticking by their false story because it got them clicks and recognition that they had "breaking news".

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

It will just basically be renamed to Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet and consumers are free to use it as well.

Nice. At the time when I switched this was all still breaking so I left the loop.

I'm not sure Hangouts Chat (as it exists today) is really the replacement I'd want, but who knows where it'll end up.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So the 10GB Mint Wireless plan looks like it is perfect for me - the data is more then enough, I have good TMo service everywhere I go, and the upfront cost for paying for a year of service is not an issue, and the whole thing would save me like $65/month over Verizon.

What's the catch? I know its an MNVO, but is it particularly bad or deprioritized or something?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The catch is probably paying for a year up front and then losing out when their service gets downgraded or you have to gtfo for any of a thousand other reasons

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any MVNOs offering a free iPhone (don't care about the model tbh) without bill credits? I know MetroPCS does, but I'm curious if there are others.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I've been using Mint for about a month now since they had a pretty nice promo during December. I ditched my old grandfathered unlimited data plan on Verizon since it turned out I only used about 2gb a month anyways. I'm not a heavy video streamer so I can't speak for the quality of netflix or youtube on mobile, but I do stream podcasts/music a lot and haven't really noticed anything different.

Their customer service doesn't seem that great. It took me like 4 days to get an email response and their phone line have hour long wait times, but I think that's par for the course for most cheap MVNOs. I didn't get a good response to my problem either, but fortunately it seemed to have sorted itself out so who knows. I heard you might get a better response if you ask for help on their subreddit since it looks like some of their employees lurk there.

They're also increasing their data bucket sizes at the end of this month. The 2gb plan goes to 3gb, 5gb -> 8gb, and 10gb -> 12gb. Prices are increasing if you prepay for less than 12 months, but are the same if you were going to buy a year at a time regardless. Current customers will also get their data buckets increased at the end of their data month, so it's not like anyone got hosed if they bought earlier.

But yeah, other than the risk of paying for service upfront and bad customer service, I haven't really had an issue with them.

Edit: Oh here's my shill referral code if you want to use it. We both get 15bux if you buy service through that link.

http://fbuy.me/lCrAi

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 17, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I have been using both Sprint and Mint. Mint is not bad. Even in the dead zone at work, I still get signal most of the time. Definitely better than ATT signal through Red Pocket. I can live on a single Mint sim if I have to. My phone also has 2 sim slots so I can put another prepaid sim in the 2nd slot.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just started my second 6mo period with Mint, they are great. No throttling or deprioritization that I can tell, I get 25+ Mbps around town. I haven't had to contact their customer service for any reason, though, so I don't know about that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I need a second phone number, but I only want to make calls, and very, very sparingly. What is the absolute cheapest I can get in the form of a SIM card that I can pop into an unlocked phone?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I need a second phone number, but I only want to make calls, and very, very sparingly. What is the absolute cheapest I can get in the form of a SIM card that I can pop into an unlocked phone?

Supposedly you can get that for free on Freedompop

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Google voice number?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Goodpancakes posted:

Supposedly you can get that for free on Freedompop

Yeah aren't there a bunch of apps that will give you burner numbers on your current phone that you can use through wifi/data

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

FireRTC is free and doesn't even need an app, presuming you really only need outbound calling

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Google Voice is free and handy, but sometimes you can't use it to sign up for free promotion.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I currently have the T-Mobile nerd plan and I’m debating if I should change it to the promotional offers of $40/m of unlimited talk and text with 10Gb data or $50/m for unlimited everything. Is there any catches to them and which one if any should I pick?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone have a good prepaid operator's for Japan? Especially one that I can get a sim in advance.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Needing some advice. My motorola g play is acting up and I'm shopping around for new phones.

Only problem is, holy poo poo there's a lot of em.

So, I thought I'd check here and see if there's any that you guys would recommend.

Here's a list of features I'd like.
32-64gb internal storage
slo mo video would be cool
ability to use as a vr/cardboard headset would be nice
good camera
decent battery life
5.2" screen or bigger
4g/LTE
MAx about $250

Doesn't have to be an amazon prime phone, just needs to work on cricket.

Any ideas?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 17, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Price?

My Pixel 2 meets all those. A 3 should be affordable with semi frequent discounts these days.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whoops, forgot that. Added to the post. Looking to spend $250 at the most.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Xiaomi Max 3

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You'd probably get a Nokia 6.1 recommended. Photos are "okay" with it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looking at the Moto g6 or the Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra. Did some searching on amazon and both these seem to have some good qualities.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Looking at the Moto g6 or the Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra. Did some searching on amazon and both these seem to have some good qualities.

I'm a huge huge fan of the Moto G series. Great quality, awesome shortcuts (chop to flashlight and twist to camera... goddamn how is that not a universal function of Android by now?) and good performance. Cameras are always marginal but totally acceptable for the price range.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

I'm a huge huge fan of the Moto G series. Great quality, awesome shortcuts (chop to flashlight and twist to camera... goddamn how is that not a universal function of Android by now?) and good performance. Cameras are always marginal but totally acceptable for the price range.

I loved my G5+ even after the android phone thread moved on to OnePlus/Pixels as reccs. I assume the G6 is marginally better but not leaps and bounds, more (mediocre) cameras, probably make the leap to Pie. I wish my XR had a chop to flashlight, that's so handy. Helping a co-worker fix her headlights like whoa.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

syscall girl posted:

I loved my G5+ even after the android phone thread moved on to OnePlus/Pixels as reccs. I assume the G6 is marginally better but not leaps and bounds, more (mediocre) cameras, probably make the leap to Pie. I wish my XR had a chop to flashlight, that's so handy. Helping a co-worker fix her headlights like whoa.

The G7 is just around the corner (or just came out?) too. I only moved to a cheapo LG because I moved to Xfinity Mobile and can't bring the G Series with me. But as soon as their BYOD opens up I'm going right back.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This isn’t exactly prepaid, but I THINK they do it through the MVNO model, but has anyone had experience with the Xfinity mobile? Looks like a ridiculous good deal. I don’t have Comcast but have a friend who would likely let me sign up under his account. I currently have a work phone but I have the option of receiving $50/month stipend and this phone wouldn’t get much use other than work emails, texts, and phone calls so 1gb is generous. Considering picking up an SE or new version if they release one as the 7 I have right now is too big for carrying two phones.

BTW, I insist on having separate phones for work/personal, I’m in management and like the insulation of being able to just hand them the phone if there is ever a reason to do so and not worry about my personal data.

I also enjoy having a different network than my main carrier (T-mobile) for times there are deadspots.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What about it seems like a really good deal?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

What about it seems like a really good deal?

$12/mo for unlimited talk/text and 1gb on Verizon

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

TraderStav posted:

$12/mo for unlimited talk/text and 1gb on Verizon

+10$ a month for non-Comcast customers
+taxes and fees(doesn't seem to be large though)

Also the monthly charge seems to be even less if you don't use much data that month?

So not an amazing deal if you don't have Comcast, but still pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Baby Proof posted:

+10$ a month for non-Comcast customers
+taxes and fees(doesn't seem to be large though)

Also the monthly charge seems to be even less if you don't use much data that month?

So not an amazing deal if you don't have Comcast, but still pretty good.

I can likely use a friend's account to get it.