Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tellah's awesome because he drops Meteors on Golbez's head.

Everybody likes Galuf when he just copied Tellah in being a badass old dude who dies fighting the villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tellah whips rear end

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

in terms of "being good at soldiering" Snake wins

in terms of "not creating child soldiers" Snake wins

in terms of "not being an rear end in a top hat" the guy who didn't kidnap the creator of Oilix and threaten the world with two separate Metal Gears (I'm not even counting Venom Snake here, which would bring the count up to four) wins

literally Solid Snake is better than Big Boss by every metric and that's the entire point

not if you go by maximum lifespan

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Tellah is pretty useful when you first get him, when spells are cheap and you don't have as many characters jumping, throwing and summoning around.

But from the point where you meet him alongside the twins, it's intended to become apparent that he's getting older and frailer as time goes on. Many of his stats decrease as he levels up. His MP pool which used to be more than sufficient at the beginning of the game now pales to that of the child mages. Even his spell selection is limited by comparison(at least until he remembers a bunch of them thanks to divine intervention).

By the time you reach Golbez, both you the player and Tellah are well aware that his days are numbered and his usefulness is long past. That battle is the last hurrah of a man who didn't want to go away quietly into the night and felt he no longer had anything left to live for after he'd lost his daughter. It's basically suicide by magical nuke, fully intent on taking his most hated enemy with him.

Sherry Bahm fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 29, 2019

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
And that's why FF4 loving rips: it does a lot of storytelling through gameplay

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Coughing Hobo posted:

That and MOON PEOPLE. That you get to in a magic spaceship.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Hummingway is such a joyful twist of a pun for a localization that I still am amazed by it some 26 years later.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ventana posted:

This is the one problem I have with 4DS. I'm fine with how the difficulty is and how the augments are, but a limited amount of NG+'s is just punishing for no reason. You can get sorta why someone would want to do that, but it just isn't fun at all and instead makes me not want to engage the NG+ systems at all.

Can't let people replay the game too much otherwise they might... give every magic user stuff like Dualcast and Omnicast after spending a few hundred hours beating the game a dozen or so times?

e: Maybe there's a romhack to remove the limitation if someone cares, but considering how half-assed the game feels, especially with the difficulty being all over the place, the limited NG+ is just one of numerous bad design decisions.

Onmi posted:

Was it better in NES 2?

Everything was worse in FF2 for the NES, except for skill grinding due to the action cancel bug.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 2, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Coughing Hobo posted:

The starting levels of characters, Dark Wave's HP loss, Rydia being unable to cast Fire1, Rosa's unstated archery skills, Tellah sacrificing his own life to break his MP limit, characters using Cure spells during story scenes, DK Cecil being useless on Mt. Ordeals (and like a half-dozen other examples I'm probably forgetting)...

It's really amazing to the extent FF4 runs with this, and considering it's one of the game's best qualities and one that isn't really replicated in future titles, it's a drat shame nobody mentions it more often.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mega64 posted:

The starting levels of characters, Dark Wave's HP loss, Rydia being unable to cast Fire1, Rosa's unstated archery skills, Tellah sacrificing his own life to break his MP limit, characters using Cure spells during story scenes, DK Cecil being useless on Mt. Ordeals (and like a half-dozen other examples I'm probably forgetting)...

It's really amazing to the extent FF4 runs with this, and considering it's one of the game's best qualities and one that isn't really replicated in future titles, it's a drat shame nobody mentions it more often.

Not quite to the same extent, but FFIX plays with this a little as well: characters not doing victory poses during certain phases of the game, Garnet's mute phase as well as not having enough MP to even summon at the start of the game (since she was wary of her own power), Quina confounding all senses of gender (such as being able to wear female-only equipment but not being a valid target for Zidane's Protect Girls)...

FFVIII also has a few: Rinoa not being able to access Angelo when she's in space. Rinoa and Edea, being naturally adept at magic, also have the highest starting compatibility with GFs, while Seifer is terrible at summoning. Rinoa's stumbling from the recoil whenever she fires her weapon (to show her lack of actual combat training). Then you have lots of minor things, like Selphie has the highest initial compatibility with Tonberry because it's hinted that she summoned it when she was younger (and forgot about it because GFs).

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 2, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cock hero flux posted:

not if you go by maximum lifespan
this is a fair point I had not considered, although he had a lot of help given that Snake literally burned him to a crisp

anyway I like Final Fantasy games and I might finally get around to crossing 15 off my backlog soon, anything I need to know going in mostly-blind? I'm not gonna watch the anime

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this is a fair point I had not considered, although he had a lot of help given that Snake literally burned him to a crisp

anyway I like Final Fantasy games and I might finally get around to crossing 15 off my backlog soon, anything I need to know going in mostly-blind? I'm not gonna watch the anime

There are a few bits that assume you to have watched Kingsglaive, but you can mostly ignore them after Chapter 3 or so.

Also if you're going to get any of the DLC, don't play each of them until certain points (it's fairly obvious when each one takes place). The exception is Ignis, who should only be played after finishing the game.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Hold the block button when prompted, it’s not a timed thing.
Beyond that, don’t worry. It’s the easiest FF and i dont think there is anything missable.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
The bf is playing through FFX again, and I always hate having rose-colored glasses removed, but it's still kind of enlightening.

I love the heavy-handed daddy issues and death conversation that the game has going, the former is kind of a staple of the genre but Spira = Death as an idea and how a weird world and religion would handle that is a great idea, but the English script is kind of bad. I know that the localization team was heavily hamstrung by the growing pains of figuring out how to fully voice act a game, but it's tonally weird when it feels like it's trying to be serious. Also, man, Wakka is a stupid piece of poo poo and I find myself agreeing with Rikku and Tidus a lot about how stupid everything is and that's a bad feeling.

The aesthetic, though--man, what a gorgeous game. I love the garish island world, the soundtrack is still the best in the series, and Tidus aside I kind of even enjoy the ridiculous character designs despite Nomura's best efforts.

The gameplay is a weirder and more mixed bag than I remember. The boss fights seem a lot more fun and puzzley than the rest of the series, and I enjoy the non-endgame play of random battles where each character has a distinct role to fill to handle things quickly. But holy poo poo the timing and controls in this game are rear end. Every single timed button press--Tidus and Wakka's limits, lightning dodging, the awful Cloister in Bevelle--is a goddamned guessing game. This is probably something to do with the remaster, but I did X2 a few years ago when it released and there was nothing this bad. And running around feels like rear end, though the normal QWOPpy running manages to look like a diamond next to a smeary pile of coal compared to when you have to push a pedestal.

X-2 is still the best game in the series but that's probably just bc I'm gay as hell

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Mega64 posted:

Rydia in particular is one of the best examples given her involvement and evolution throughout the story. You only have one summon throughout their entire childhood, because there is no one else to teach her new summons(unless you are lucky enough to get one of the extremely rare Goblin or Bomb drops early in the game). And later on she gives up her white magic in order to focus on her summons and black magic, highlighting her choice to embrace who and what she is.

I'm also reminded of the Dark Elf dungeon, where you suddenly have to lean on Tellah and Yang because you can't wield metal weapons, nerfing Cecil and Cid a good bit. The events leading up to Edge learning his main Jutsu abilities in his quest for revenge against Rubicante. The effectiveness of Kain, the dragoon, in taking down Barbariccia, the elemental of Wind, as both are "creatures of the sky". There's always something going on that is relevant both narratively and mechanically.

Hell Edward's Hide ability is practically a trademark of the character.

Sherry Bahm fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 2, 2019

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

Rosa's unstated archery skills

Wait, is this a story detail I'm missing, I don't get this one.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Zvahl posted:

X-2 is still the best game in the series but that's probably just bc I'm gay as hell

I mean, the shoe fits and I'm just gonna lace those suckers up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ventana posted:

Wait, is this a story detail I'm missing, I don't get this one.

As far as I know it's more speculation than anything ever said anywhere, but the idea is that Rosa was originally planning to be an archer early in her life, but decided to go into White Magic later on to help Cecil however she can. It's mainly due to a line by a random White Mage NPC in Baron Castle and that there's no references whatsoever as to why Rosa is a skilled archer when every other character's job traits are at least somewhat relevant to the plot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I mean, the shoe fits and I'm just gonna lace those suckers up.

And what delightful shoes they are! :gay:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I'm also reminded of the Dark Elf dungeon, where you suddenly have to lean on Tellah and Yang because you can't wield metal weapons, nerfing Cecil and Cid a good bit.

Man, Cid is such a junky character and he's still rendered even worse in one of the few parts where you have to use him. Outside of the numerous TAY nobodies he's probably one of the worst playable ones out there.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

DrNutt posted:

And what delightful shoes they are! :gay:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

As far as I know it's more speculation than anything ever said anywhere, but the idea is that Rosa was originally planning to be an archer early in her life, but decided to go into White Magic later on to help Cecil however she can. It's mainly due to a line by a random White Mage NPC in Baron Castle and that there's no references whatsoever as to why Rosa is a skilled archer when every other character's job traits are at least somewhat relevant to the plot.

Tbh, this just sounds like a random flavor line thrown in the game to explain why Rosa also happens to be an archer for gameplay, rather than some real story behind it. Why Rosa doesn't get any more story when other characters is because, well, Rosa doesn't really do much in the story anyways. It's a sorta neat flavor explanation but it's not like the other FF4 examples which was story driving the gameplay details.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cid's fine if you stick with the Wooden Hammer, the Silver/Mythril Hammer is a trap.

Also it's pointless anyway since you should just run from all encounters there regardless. If you want to grind there for whatever reason, do it after beating the Dark Elf.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Whoops, looks like I just messed it up! Gonna have to start all over again! :sissies:

Gotta get that perfect rating y'know! :sparkles:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I want to find the guy on TAY dev team who was such a Palom fan, because just above Edge and Edward, he's probably the most developed character in the game and honestly way more involved in the plot than Ceodore (who... isn't.)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
While FF4 Cid is, of the gameplay-available Cids, one of the worst, narratively he might just be the most badass; what other Cid can claim to have leapt from an airship, set off a bomb he was holding, plummet hundreds of feet to the ground below, and survive?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Onmi posted:

I want to find the guy on TAY dev team who was such a Palom fan, because just above Edge and Edward, he's probably the most developed character in the game and honestly way more involved in the plot than Ceodore (who... isn't.)

Meanwhile Porom is basically Rosa 2.0 in terms of personality. Also not a fan of her neon pink look. Palom took bits from his classic look and combined it with more traditional black mage colors and it really works. I don't see why they didn't do the same for his twin. Especially considering that she's the more traditionalist of the two.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The sad part about Rosa is that she's actually pretty involved with the plot at the very beginning. She somehow beat Cecil to Kaipo, she's the one who tells Cecil about Golbez, she's the one that helps Rydia overcome her fear of fire, and she even helps out off-screen at the battle of Fabul.

Theeeeen she gets kidnapped and rescued, and that's the end of her relevance for the rest of the game, not to mention being a loving prop in The After Years. TAY also does nothing with Porom (why the hell is her story mostly more character development for Palom!?), though the new women it adds like Luca, Ursula, and Leonora are pretty cool.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Meanwhile Porom is basically Rosa 2.0 in terms of personality. Also not a fan of her neon pink look. Palom took bits from his classic look and combined it with more traditional black mage colors and it really works. I don't see why they didn't do the same for his twin. Especially considering that she's the more traditionalist of the two.

Mega64 posted:

The sad part about Rosa is that she's actually pretty involved with the plot at the very beginning. She somehow beat Cecil to Kaipo, she's the one who tells Cecil about Golbez, she's the one that helps Rydia overcome her fear of fire, and she even helps out off-screen at the battle of Fabul.

Theeeeen she gets kidnapped and rescued, and that's the end of her relevance for the rest of the game, not to mention being a loving prop in The After Years. TAY also does nothing with Porom (why the hell is her story mostly more character development for Palom!?), though the new women it adds like Luca, Ursula, and Leonora are pretty cool.

Yeah, Porom's tale could basically be retitled, "Palom's Tale Part 2" and you'd be utterly correct. Since most of her present dialogue is some variant of "Palom Nii-san..." much like Rosa is screaming someone's name, and Ceodore is going "Huh?"

Man, TAY is such a disappointment, like... It's Live A Live! Except in the world of FF4! That should be a slam dunk easy idea. Hell, the few times they actually do try to advance a character properly (Palom, Edge, Edward, Golbez) they nail it out of the park. Like Edward's tale and Edge's tale may not be the best tales, but their actual individual growth is really good. and if TAY didn't have such a slavish devotion to making the heroes fail at every step, we'd have so many wonderful moments.

Edward, previously a coward in the last game, is facing down Dark Kain, a superpowered version of one of the most dangerous party members. But despite the threats, he's calm, confident and winds up blowing up his own castle reversing a booby trap meant to kill him into an offensive weapon to defeat Kain... Except it's Kain's tale so he immediately fails right after that really cool moment.

Palom has grown to appreciate Leonora throughout his tale, and faced with being unable to beat the Mysterious Girl, plans to sacrifice himself to both protect the Crystal and Leonora, but she refuses to let him repeat his sacrifice from the first game. Palom, who's been alone and separated from Porom as they've grown up, finally realizes that he has a perfect partner in Leonora, learning Particle Bomb and fighting together, Teacher and Student... And then the Mysterious Girl mercs them anyway, because we don't have a plot if she doesn't get the Earth crystal.

And this happens again, and again, and again. The heroes can't succeed and have cool moments, because if they did then the plot couldn't move forward. This is an issue inherited from FF4 by the way, not pretending it isn't, it's why I've always hated "We have to protect the Crystals!" plots. Because inevitably, if you don't gently caress it up, you don't have a game.

EDIT: Like let's compare with FF6. One could argue that all things done in FF6 in the world of Balance become 'irrelevant' because Kefka destroys the world. But the thing is the party was achieving things, they were making a positive influence at each event, even when they were cut off and beaten, they were rarer. And usually featured moments of success following failure. Failure to save Doma? Defending Narche and driving the Empire away from the Esper. Terra's gone missing? Unlocking the power of Magicite, the opera, getting the Airship, pulling one over on Setzer and Ultros. Like yeah, in the end, Kefka killed a lot of Espers and broke the world, but you weren't failing forward to get to that point.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 2, 2019

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Onmi posted:

Yeah, Porom's tale could basically be retitled, "Palom's Tale Part 2" and you'd be utterly correct. Since most of her present dialogue is some variant of "Palom Nii-san..." much like Rosa is screaming someone's name, and Ceodore is going "Huh?"

Palom has grown to appreciate Leonora throughout his tale, and faced with being unable to beat the Mysterious Girl, plans to sacrifice himself to both protect the Crystal and Leonora, but she refuses to let him repeat his sacrifice from the first game. Palom, who's been alone and separated from Porom as they've grown up, finally realizes that he has a perfect partner in Leonora, learning Particle Bomb and fighting together, Teacher and Student... And then the Mysterious Girl mercs them anyway, because we don't have a plot if she doesn't get the Earth crystal.

Palom's entire arc is basically how much he needs that yin to his yang, and golly gee isn't Leonora such a perfect fit! Totally not replacing anyone here!

Meanwhile Porom is pining for the twin brother who has "moved on with his life" by projecting his sister's role onto a new person.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Palom's entire arc is basically how much he needs that yin to his yang, and golly gee isn't Leonora such a perfect fit! Totally not replacing anyone here!

Meanwhile Porom is pining for the twin brother who has "moved on with his life" by projecting his sister's role onto a new person.

It's also about how while he respects Tellah, he's not really in the position to succeed him as a Sage, learning that humility to understand his own talents, and his Sage training helping him realize that it's not really a job for him. I also wouldn't really call Leonora's role close to Porom's character wise. Porom is constantly snippy and at edge with Palom, and at some point as they grew up, that went from "A balance to his arrogance" to "Actually just pushing them further away" with the added drama that Palom had set his sights on growing and moving beyond Mysidia, while Porom had no drive. Leonora, on the other hand, may have refused to back down from Palom when he got out of hand, but she wasn't nearly as angry or rejecting who he was. It was clear she wasn't either his sister, or a waif who was going to bend over and couldn't make decisions for herself.

They had a story for Porom. It's, like you said, that Palom has moved on with his life and Porom hasn't. He's had a goal (To become a Sage, and be like Tellah) that's given him motivation and drive, and Porom has... nothing. It's not that she's content with her life, she just has no drive or an idea of what kind of goal she wants to pursue. The main issue is they focused on the Palom side of the issue, not the Porom side. She's stuck pining for her brother to come and save her, she still has no self-actualization or goals.

Hell, they don't even really lean on "Porom is lost when she's not connected with Palom." Since at no point does she really ever try to work with him while he pushes her away. She gets mad a bunch but like... okay change those scenes where we see Palom taking Tellah's path and instead use it to showcase the twins falling out, failing to twincast, Palom too focused on his own solo training to work with her, age, naturally, pushing them further away. Hell, make it real obvious by having the 'immature' Palom, essentially cut her away by asking when she's going to find a goal for herself beyond doing what the elder tells her. Frame it from her perspective, not his.

Turns out repeating "Nii-san" over and over again isn't characterization. And she doesn't STOP! Even the moment when they reconnect is... nothing. Palom shows that he cares about the Elder and Mysidia and shows some humbleness that Leonora is way better as a Sage Candidate than he is. And... hey you can Twincast again? Porom still doesn't have a goal for herself, and her relationship with Palom hasn't gone to a point where they're yin and yang again. What's to be taken here? "Oh, well, Palom's dreams have been dashed, so now that he has no goals of moving past Mysidia, he can Porom are on the same wavelength again"?

You could have had their reconnection scene be the two of them actually making up with one another, with Palom, who's gained some humble perspective, apologize for how harsh he's been with her, and Porom apologizing for harshness born from jealousy and her own lack of goals. And then reconnecting, maybe Porom has found a goal for herself, found that drive that allows her to grow beyond Mysidia as well.

Or, I dunno, something. TAY makes me made with how much it squandered, more than the things that are just trash. I don't care about the Elban Four, because they're just trash with no redeeming qualities. but Porom didn't need to be a non-character

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Shut the gently caress up about The After Years holy poo poo every single time I forget it exists...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Coughing Hobo posted:

While FF4 Cid is, of the gameplay-available Cids, one of the worst, narratively he might just be the most badass; what other Cid can claim to have leapt from an airship, set off a bomb he was holding, plummet hundreds of feet to the ground below, and survive?

He also broke out of prison.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

Shut the gently caress up about The After Years holy poo poo every single time I forget it exists...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i see they got rid of the weird gross long fingernails for the viera in ff14

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why is FF14 getting a Nier raid? Nier isn't even a Final Fantasy game!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i just realized something very sad. that i won't live to see final fantasy lxix

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mega64 posted:

Record Keeper took this and ran with it because all of her relic weapons are bows and she even has 1* Celerity just to give her access to Aim. Heck one or two of her soul break animations even have her doing magic archery things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUzkvx4RxI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i just realized something very sad. that i won't live to see final fantasy lxix

Not with that attitude. Its time to join SE and begin frantically pumping out 20 hour RPGs at the rate of two, maybe three a year until you hit that number. Maybe make the cellphone games take mainline numbers too while your at it.