Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm struggling with a ruling since everything I'm finding online is slightly contradictory, so I'll pose my question.

For the sake of Brute's Brute Force ability (whenever you hit with a weapon that you're proficient with and deal damage...), does it trigger on your unarmed strikes?

The rules state your proficient with your own unarmed attacks, but they're muddled in defining whether they count as weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm struggling with a ruling since everything I'm finding online is slightly contradictory, so I'll pose my question.

For the sake of Brute's Brute Force ability (whenever you hit with a weapon that you're proficient with and deal damage...), does it trigger on your unarmed strikes?

The rules state your proficient with your own unarmed attacks, but they're muddled in defining whether they count as weapons?
I would say yes because it's thematic with the Brute Archetype. I wouldn't allow it on a brute/monk but for a pure brute? Sure.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Elfgames posted:

except speak with dead exists and you can ask your granny if her afterlife is being impacted

I don't actually care one way or the other whether a group decides necromancy is inherently evil or taboo, but Speak With Dead can only give you access to what a corpse knew in life.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

I would say yes because it's thematic with the Brute Archetype. I wouldn't allow it on a brute/monk but for a pure brute? Sure.

That's what I'm leaning towards yeah.

From what I can gather, for triggering weapon based abilities (like Brute Force or a Half Orc's Savage Attack) unarmed attacks count because you're using your melee weapon attack to perform an unarmed attack. However cases of say, casting a spell onto a weapon or similarly applying poison, unarmed attacks don't count as eligible weapons.

Again this if what I can gather and I'm not entirely sure on.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Right?

"Don't apply modern secular attitudes", sure, but also don't apply what you imagine medieval european religious attitudes to have been (and fuckin' lol at the idea that those were consistently (or even usually) "your remains to be interred in a churchyard and forever undisturbed").

But yeah, I guess some D&D cultures (or other groups) might be real big on the "human remains must be forever undisturbed" thing, but others might not give a single poo poo. Maybe it's just not a big deal because you can literally, while still alive, travel to the afterlife and ask dear old mum her opinion on the matter, and her answer is invariably "who gives a poo poo about what happens to a broken flesh-prison, and when are you coming to stay?"

E: Maybe it's not a big deal because it's just not a big deal, you know? Maybe dead bodies are just seen as any other kind of human waste? Maybe it's just usual for your bones to be used later, if they're needed? Maybe it's either that or they just get used for decorating stuff and it's seen as a better thing, in general, for them to stay together walking around than for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

It’s going to vary by culture sure but I can’t imagine most would be very accepting of even the most benign interpretation of necromancy (it’s just a soulless robot made of bones instead of metal etc). It’s one thing to have the bones of say a saint being carried around as objects of worship/respect but some rear end in a top hat animating them so he can have it empty out the latrine is another.

I personally don’t think there’s anything special about a corpse but I’m not going to mess with it partially because it’s gross but also out of respect.

And as far being able to talk to or visit grandma how many people can do that in the generic d&d setting? Am I going to believe some random necromancers word on it? Yeah he conjured something that looked like grandma but I have no way of knowing if that was real or just some trick.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Animating a corpse is robbing agency and free will. That corpse was sentient, if not sapient. Many cultures view the corpse as “still Jimmy” and it’s not strange to be put off by someone making Jimmy dance Thriller.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Unarmed strikes aren't weapons. You can't, for example, Divine Smite with unarmed attacks.

But you're using a homebrew class anyway so it's w/e.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Unarmed strikes aren't weapons. You can't, for example, Divine Smite with unarmed attacks.

What if you’re a monk and your fists are registered as weapons with the Imperial Authority

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Unarmed strikes aren't "attacks with melee weapons", but they are "melee weapon attacks".

Crawford has flip flopped on whether you can Smite with them constantly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Conspiratiorist posted:

isn't the Brute from UA

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gradenko_2000 posted:

isn't the Brute from UA

People generally treat UA as homebrew since it's often completely unbalanced and poorly written.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

People generally treat UA as homebrew since it's often completely unbalanced and poorly written.

okay, that's fair

I will say though that the Brute specifically is a significant improvement over the Champion and it's regrettable that it's probably never going to see official endorsement

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay, that's fair

I will say though that the Brute specifically is a significant improvement over the Champion and it's regrettable that it's probably never going to see official endorsement

I don't think it's really any better as it still doesn't address any of the shortcomings of fighter or provide any meaningful decision-making.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Smite-Fisting is most definitely a thing, but I guess if your DM is a big rear end in a top hat about it they wouldn't let you do it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I don't think it's really any better as it still doesn't address any of the shortcomings of fighter or provide any meaningful decision-making.

nothing is going to fix THAT about the Fighter, I just meant more on the scale of "actually is capable of dealing damage passively good"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arthil posted:

Smite-Fisting is most definitely a thing, but I guess if your DM is a big rear end in a top hat about it they wouldn't let you do it.

https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/905511898938003456?lang=en

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I am about 80% convinced this guy is using his position to troll everyone with bad takes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/608776737917263872
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/912826939508789248
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1050545478696230912

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

gently caress this game lmao

I have a great time with my weekly AL group but poo poo like this is so wild after spending some time playing a few PbtA games. I came to D&D from 40k so I was used to dumb wording and rules lawyering but the more modern RPGs I play the less I can stomach these rules or their Twitter interpretations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yes this is NaturalLanguage.txt.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, in summary:
  • Brute 3 - No to unarmed
  • Brute 15 - Yes to unarmed
  • Divine Smite - No to unarmed

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I'm not sure if you're actually reading, at all.

Yes to all of those.

I hate the stupid natural language crap as much as anyone else in the thread but generally if it mentions melee weapon attack it means smacking it with something works. If it's a weapon attack, it works.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 29, 2019

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Arthil posted:

ICASTFIST.jpg

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

The fact that the Brute could be the one easiest way to have a boxer/street fighter styled strength character without a tonne of hoops and/or custom magic items is really a PITA too, since as someone said it probably won't ever get released.

There's a guy in my local events who is entirely 100% certain Champion Fighters are fine. But given his 18 C-Fighter/2 Barbarian character has a big gently caress-off sword designed to crush even harder when he crits might have something to do with it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arthil posted:

I'm not sure if you're actually reading, at all.

Yes to all of those.

I hate the stupid natural language crap as much as anyone else in the thread but generally if it mentions melee weapon attack it means smacking it with something works. If it's a weapon attack, it works.

No need to get snippy.

Brute 3 doesn't say "weapon attack". so no it does not work.
Divine Smite adds to "a weapon's damage", but unarmed strikes are specifically not weapons, so there's nothing to add damage to. It's mentioned by Crawford in the Twitter thread I linked.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Toshimo posted:

No need to get snippy.

Brute 3 doesn't say "weapon attack". so no it does not work.
Divine Smite adds to "a weapon's damage", but unarmed strikes are specifically not weapons, so there's nothing to add damage to. It's mentioned by Crawford in the Twitter thread I linked.

This makes sense and clarifies the issue I was having, thank you and everyone else.

Although, as an extra added layer, how would Brute work with Natural Weapons (such as Tabaxi's Claws or Lizardfolk's Bite)?

It's an unarmed attack but they're also classified as weapons in these cases?

Edit: For clarification, this is for a player wanting to play a Tabaxi Brute. I'm a-okay with them just doing it, but I've been trying to figure out these rulings for a while regardless.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 29, 2019

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Just let them do it. It's all nonsensical overly specific nonsense.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Edit: For clarification, this is for a player wanting to play a Tabaxi Brute. I'm a-okay with them just doing it, but I've been trying to figure out these rulings for a while regardless.

You're playing homebrew content. If you want to make it so that they can use it, just say it works that way. Letting them make Brute work for them isn't going to break it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Session two of the CoS group that's already threatening to go wacky and off the rails is tonight. I'm trying not to be "that guy" but when the guy who steps in day 1 with a silly character apart from our "okay guys this is serious rp" agreement wants flat upgrades to his spells, I get worried.

I point out an acid fireball already exists at the next level of spells and he's not moved.

I don't care about the power level. We rolled stats and I'm through the roof. But every little thing the dm caves on has me worried we're never going to honor that original commitment to a serious rp game. There's a place for silly games but they're easy to find. That's your default dnd group. I feel like the silly bastards are going to cost us something that's a lot harder to come by.

Talked to the dm all "hey it really seems like we're off course for the serious rp game we're aiming for. You comfortable with where it's going?"

He is.

I'm gonna give things a chance but I'm real disappointed about how it's probably going to end up.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
All Monks have brass (or iron or electrum or dragon bone or whatever) knuckles that count as weapons. Check PHB p???? for details.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Session two of the CoS group that's already threatening to go wacky and off the rails is tonight. I'm trying not to be "that guy" but when the guy who steps in day 1 with a silly character apart from our "okay guys this is serious rp" agreement wants flat upgrades to his spells, I get worried.

I point out an acid fireball already exists at the next level of spells and he's not moved.

I don't care about the power level. We rolled stats and I'm through the roof. But every little thing the dm caves on has me worried we're never going to honor that original commitment to a serious rp game. There's a place for silly games but they're easy to find. That's your default dnd group. I feel like the silly bastards are going to cost us something that's a lot harder to come by.

Talked to the dm all "hey it really seems like we're off course for the serious rp game we're aiming for. You comfortable with where it's going?"

He is.

I'm gonna give things a chance but I'm real disappointed about how it's probably going to end up.

I dont recall the first post you must have mentioned this in. What silly stuff is he bringing to the table exactly and how is he wanting to "upgrade" his spells exactly? Like literally have firebolt also do acid damage as well or something?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Changing all his fire spells to acid would honestly line up to a net negative since so many undead are resistant to acid so I don't see anything bad about that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
it's explicitly a Wizard class feature... of the UA Lore Mastery archetype (so, y'know, it's effectively homebrew and should be treated as such).

quote:

Spell Secrets
At 2nd level, when you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell deals acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, radiant, or thunder damage, you can substitute that damage type with one other type from that list (you can change only one damage type per casting of a spell). You replace one energy type for another by altering the spell's formula as you cast it.

When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell requires a saving throw, you can change the saving throw from one ability score to another of your choice. Once you change a saving throw in this way, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

So just point that out, and so they can have a way of using it via like a piece of equipment or whatever (or more likely a weaker version that removes the saving throw adjustment) if no one else is already.

In the unlikely event that someone is using that exact archetype, then that does make it a bit more of a problem that can be solved by Talking Like Grown-Ups.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've already said I don't care about the power level. We rolled stats and I'm ridiculous.

My issue is the game was listed as being serious rp, no monster races, etc and day 1 we get a guy playing a neutral good hobgoblin and saying "hey can I change all my fire spells to acid" and wrecking a tavern. Each instance where the dm doesn't put their foot down feels like we get dragged closer to being any old game of wacky hijinx and not the tone we'd been promised.

I already brought it up with him and he just insisted the tone hadn't strayed so all I really have left to do is bail or stick around and hope it improves

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I can't express how terrible of an idea it is to let anyone use Lore Mastery in a game. It's horribly overpowered and past me is a jackass for ever giving it to my game's wizard.

If you do give them an item replicating that ability, make it only one or a select few other damage types they can convert to. Force damage heightened fireballs are basically just encounter-ending gently caress-yous. Like, encounter building is already a nightmare but now I'm having to plan for basically a wizard that's like 2-3 levels stronger than everyone else as part of the party.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've already said I don't care about the power level. We rolled stats and I'm ridiculous.

My issue is the game was listed as being serious rp, no monster races, etc and day 1 we get a guy playing a neutral good hobgoblin and saying "hey can I change all my fire spells to acid" and wrecking a tavern. Each instance where the dm doesn't put their foot down feels like we get dragged closer to being any old game of wacky hijinx and not the tone we'd been promised.

I already brought it up with him and he just insisted the tone hadn't strayed so all I really have left to do is bail or stick around and hope it improves

It does sound like it isn't what you were looking for. Maybe it's worth having the discussion with the whole group, not just the DM? If everybody else is having fun, then it's not a matter of the DM not putting his foot down, it's the others enjoying something that ruins the fun for you. Trying to fix something when nobody else thinks it is broken is an exercise in frustration on top of your frustration with the tone and approach.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

About the unarmed smite deal: if the character feels that their body is a weapon wielded for the god in question, couldn’t they just pratfall into targets to smite them into oblivion?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

TheSoundNinja posted:

About the unarmed smite deal: if the character feels that their body is a weapon wielded for the god in question, couldn’t they just pratfall into targets to smite them into oblivion?
Since my sorcadin is planning to do a high risk / high reward finishing move on a big bad guy soon, using a grapple slam aided by the jump spell, I am thrilled that I'll be able to argue for additional people's elbow smite damage

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just to be 100% clear:
  • RAW you can't Smite on Unarmed Strike.
  • Unarmed Smite wouldn't create a balance issue.
  • Some people play by RAW very hard.
  • If you aren't one of those people, I think you should have a conversation with your DM about exactly how rad Unarmed Smite would be and ask them if they could handwave that to make it work for your group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Just to be 100% clear:
  • RAW you can't Smite on Unarmed Strike.
  • Unarmed Smite wouldn't create a balance issue.
  • Some people play by RAW very hard.
  • If you aren't one of those people, I think you should have a conversation with your DM about exactly how rad Unarmed Smite would be and ask them if they could handwave that to make it work for your group.
Same thing but with Smiting and ranged weapons.