Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Roth posted:

But it has the same tank controls and everything?

You could pick a not terrible control scheme.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wah there is like a two.minute learning curve for the controls that allows for dramatic camera angles and really nice high def rendered backgrounds I hate it

Ahh yes the dramatic camera angle of Looking Down a hallway where every enemy is off screen and you're just firing rounds off into space. Truly a masterpiece of cinematography. Love to have a 15 ft square room have 4 different camera angles it hard cuts to as I'm just trying to move forward. Lynchian IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wesker loving rules, sorry.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wesker loving rules, sorry.

He's so good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wesker loving rules, I'm not sorry.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You could pick a not terrible control scheme.

Is that in the HD release?

IDK what Mel is trying to do, but it's really embarrassing to watch.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Roth posted:

Is that in the HD release?

IDK what Mel is trying to do, but it's really embarrassing to watch.

Yeah in the HD rererelease you can pick non-tank controls.

Also yeah mel is....he's havin a real fit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tank controls really suck and are a byproduct of the era when it was not standard for all controllers to have an analog stick. If your game is paced for the slow movement/inaccuracy of tank controls then it will at least be playable with them, but it isn't a good idea to base your game around limitations of the controls anymore.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man in the best friends thread getting salty about tank controls lol

Batman's tank controlled great and more games need to follow Ratchet and Clank's lead on strafe combat.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Yeah in the HD rererelease you can pick non-tank controls.

yeah and its literally harder to control because you sprint in different directions any time the camera angle changes instead of "you press forward to go forward". god drat just because you suck at a game doesnt mean it suckls

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Tank controls really suck and are a byproduct of the era when it was not standard for all controllers to have an analog stick. If your game is paced for the slow movement/inaccuracy of tank controls then it will at least be playable with them, but it isn't a good idea to base your game around limitations of the controls anymore.

tank controls specifically exist in resident evil to limit your mobility and make moving in a specific direction a choice you have to consider. your exact path around the zombies is important and some of the challenge and fun is reduced by being able to flail around with screen dependent controls.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Your Parents posted:

yeah and its literally harder to control because you sprint in different directions any time the camera angle changes instead of "you press forward to go forward". god drat just because you suck at a game doesnt mean it suckls

Just because you sucked at the free controls doesnt mean they sucked.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Just because you sucked at the free controls doesnt mean they sucked.

youre the one who started barrelling around like an rear end in a top hat saying a classic beloved thing sucked. if you like something different thats fine but you're an intolerant prick and its really unpleasant.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Whose blood is this?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Whose blood is this?

I hope this isn't R E S I D E N T'S blood

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Parents posted:

tank controls specifically exist in resident evil to limit your mobility and make moving in a specific direction a choice you have to consider. your exact path around the zombies is important and some of the challenge and fun is reduced by being able to flail around with screen dependent controls.

The tank controls exist in RE because the static camera angles go wild all over the place from a bunch of different angles and so it's better to have the controls be independent of it. Press forward and your guy goes where he is facing no matter where he is on the screen. If the camera angle changes, it doesn't matter, up on the d-pad still points where you're going. At the time, it was necessary to make the game playable (just look at Silent Hill 2/3/4 while using 3D controls to see why 3D control doesn't work with static cameras) but it is a relic of the past and did not in any way make the game better imo.

edit: Silent Hill got around the clunkiness of turning your guy on a lazy susan in a way that RE failed to do, by adding a sidestep button. Classic RE controls like poo poo dude, even when compared to other games at the time.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 29, 2019

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

He loving takes the air out of every thread he posts in with weaponized levels of cringe and I'm bummed he's moved onto this one.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

The tank controls exist in RE because the static camera angles go wild all over the place from a bunch of different angles and so it's better to have the controls be independent of it. Press forward and your guy goes where he is facing no matter where he is on the screen. If the camera angle changes, it doesn't matter, up on the d-pad still points where you're going. At the time, it was necessary to make the game playable (just look at Silent Hill 2/3/4 while using 3D controls to see why 3D control doesn't work with static cameras) but it is a relic of the past and did not in any way make the game better imo.

edit: Silent Hill got around the clunkiness of turning your guy on a lazy susan in a way that RE failed to do, by adding a sidestep button. Classic RE controls like poo poo dude, even when compared to other games at the time.

It's fine and good and you are a very strange person for insisting it's objectively bad. Again, just because you don't like something or are bad at it doesn't mean it's bad.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah and just because you're saying its good doesn't mean people can't have major problems with tank controls. Piss off with this bad faith argument of "actually its good and just cause you don't like it doesn't mean its bad".

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 29, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Today, on Pat's Twitter:

Patrick Boivin has trouble understanding the concept of variance, risk-assessment, and why people might enjoy it.

Oh, also, those Smash CPU tournaments are pretty dope.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Dias posted:

Today, on Pat's Twitter:

Patrick Boivin has trouble understanding the concept of variance, risk-assessment

Of course he does, he spends more money on lootboxes than some first world people make a month :v:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dias posted:

Patrick Boivin has trouble understanding the concept of variance, risk-assessment, and why people might enjoy it.

how in the tyool 2019 people still fall into the trap of arguing with pat about stuff is amazing to me

the dude once ended an argument with "you are right, but I don't care"

Like, his entire charm is having weird arbitrary positions and refusing to concede them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

how in the tyool 2019 people still fall into the trap of arguing with pat about stuff is amazing to me

the dude once ended an argument with "you are right, but I don't care"

Like, his entire charm is having weird arbitrary positions and refusing to concede them.

Yeah, when Pat opened with "why do people enjoy this game, it has CARDS in it" you already know there's no intelligent debate to be had there. Years of SA (and my younger brother TBF) have made me kinda impervious to that poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dias posted:

Yeah, when Pat opened with "why do people enjoy this game, it has CARDS in it" you already know there's no intelligent debate to be had there.

There's no intelligent debate to be had about game mechanics ever. Its a purely subjective experience and the only thing you can do is call the other person a dumb rear end in a top hat. Like, there is no winning the tank controls argument rationally which is the whole reason I just immediately poo poo-posted a response. Tank Controls, Card Mechanics, etc. are all matters wholly of preference. There is a philosophy around that preference that can be argued, but you cannot argue for the mechanic itself rationally.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It's because the presence of and contextual use of a mechanic are different things. You can't argue "tank controls are bad" to me because that's meaningless. But tank controls are a lot better in Resident Evil than they are in Grim Fandango, because in RE they are the foundation of the action and tension of being locked indoors with zombies and feeling like just moving around these obstacles is a challenge. RE is all about restrictions and forced choice and consequence in its design.

In Grim Fandango it's a point and click adventure game with tank controls so you have to use tank controls to move slowly around every room and walk up to each item and NPC individually, wasting loads of time, instead of being able to click on things to interact with them like every other game in this genre ever. The mechanic doesn't add anything to the experience, so here, sure, tank controls are bad. I can, if not agree, at least understand that argument. But saying cards are bad, or a certain control style is bad, or whatever, it's not a meaningful discussion and it falls instantly to poo poo posting for a reason

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

There is actual intelligent debate as to what game mechanics compliment what gamefeel you're going for and various intricacies of how systems can play off each other and whether certain trade-offs are better or worse for overall gamespace, and trying to pin it down to 'subjective experience' is actually pretty reductive and stupid considering that's an entire design space that has several actually quite good books published on it.

But go off I guess.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Monathin posted:

There is actual intelligent debate as to what game mechanics compliment what gamefeel you're going for and various intricacies of how systems can play off each other

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is a philosophy around that preference that can be argued, but you cannot argue for the mechanic itself rationally.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There's no intelligent debate to be had about game mechanics ever. Its a purely subjective experience and the only thing you can do is call the other person a dumb rear end in a top hat. Like, there is no winning the tank controls argument rationally which is the whole reason I just immediately poo poo-posted a response. Tank Controls, Card Mechanics, etc. are all matters wholly of preference. There is a philosophy around that preference that can be argued, but you cannot argue for the mechanic itself rationally.

I mean, there is, there's actually a ton of things you can debate, but if your discussion starts from "I don't like it" instead of "was it a necessary implementation" or "was it done well" or "can it be changed without changing how the game works", then you're going nowhere.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Your Parents posted:

In Grim Fandango it's a point and click adventure game with tank controls so you have to use tank controls to move slowly around every room and walk up to each item and NPC individually, wasting loads of time, instead of being able to click on things to interact with them like every other game in this genre ever. The mechanic doesn't add anything to the experience, so here, sure, tank controls are bad. I can, if not agree, at least understand that argument. But saying cards are bad, or a certain control style is bad, or whatever, it's not a meaningful discussion and it falls instantly to poo poo posting for a reason

Yeah, but again, you can argue "maybe tank controls weren't the best idea for the gameplay because it slowed everything down" but you cant argue "the tank controls in grim fandango are bad"

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, they work, they're just very slow for me and I don't think they add anything to the experience. The GF remaster that gave it screen dependent controls isn't a huge change to how interacting with things functions, where the REmake pc port control options really do make it easier to run around zombies and monsters, and create some disorienting movement jitters moving from screen to screen.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Your Parents posted:

Yeah, they work, they're just very slow for me and I don't think they add anything to the experience. The GF remaster that gave it screen dependent controls isn't a huge change to how interacting with things functions, where the REmake pc port control options really do make it easier to run around zombies and monsters, and create some disorienting movement jitters moving from screen to screen.

yeah exactly

"tank controls in RE are bad" can't be argued rationally. In the same way "The directional controls in the PC port of remake are better" also can't be argued rationally. It's literally pure opinion. In the same way Pat is going "card mechanics are dumb"

If you want to say "I found the tank controls gave the game a level of artificial difficulty" thats a position that can be argued.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I put off playing resident evil for 20 years because people could never shut up about how terrible and awful the tank controls were and then last year I finally played it for the first time and...had no problem with them at all.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I put off playing resident evil for 20 years because people could never shut up about how terrible and awful the tank controls were and then last year I finally played it for the first time and...had no problem with them at all.

Yeah I never saw the problem because it was always like a two minute learning curve and then you're golden

RE2 even begins with an obstacle course meant to teach you how the controls work

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is CastleSuperBeast ever going to talk about the current anime seasons? I hope they do.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grouchio posted:

Is CastleSuperBeast ever going to talk about the current anime seasons? I hope they do.

If they do, I'll save you some time: They'll probably bring up Promised Neverland eventually. I guarantee they will not be able to talk around the first-episode spoiler and everything that comes with that.

Also you should watch Promised Neverland. It's really good.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Kind of odd that they were way into One Punch Man back when that was happening, but it seems like they slept on Mob Psycho. You'd think Mother's Basement or Eyepatch Wolf would have pushed it on them.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Unit24 posted:

Kind of odd that they were way into One Punch Man back when that was happening, but it seems like they slept on Mob Psycho. You'd think Mother's Basement or Eyepatch Wolf would have pushed it on them.

*Pat voice* yeah but it's about some dumb kid and it looks like poo poo, so I'll pass. The more you recommend it, the more I will avoid it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

*Pat voice* yeah but it's about some dumb kid and it looks like poo poo, so I'll pass. The more you recommend it, the more I will avoid it.

*several years later* so I started watching Mob Psycho 100 and it's like, really great?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
if you tell pat to get into something he will do the opposite, thought we all knew this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Woolie and Pat are not big seasonal anime people, so I wouldn't hold your breath.