Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is anyone else's audio not synced with the video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GrandpaPants posted:

Is anyone else's audio not synced with the video?
Yeah, I watched it last night and it stuttered and went out of sync several times. It was an archive of a live stream, so I guess they just haven't really worked out the whole streaming thing yet.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I too think the lack of audio only mailbag is dumb and bad. I’ll begrudgingly watch them at some point but it’d be cool if any of the additional content stayed on the main feed.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I thought it was fun when they could respond a little to the chat last month, but when it's just recorded as a regular episode I don't see the point, aside from getting those sweet youtube bucks. They didn't really make the most of having video.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They're testing their live casting capabilities by doing a "Saturday brunch" AMA right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUPCJ_XQU9k

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
And by "they" I mean one of them who didn't introduce himself. Not Steve or Eric.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Where are you supposed to find the Google drive link for the old episodes after signing up for patreon btw

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, I watched it last night and it stuttered and went out of sync several times. It was an archive of a live stream, so I guess they just haven't really worked out the whole streaming thing yet.

Looking at it, they're syncing the audio with one of the cameras but the other camera isn't synced. It also appears to be inconsistent as to which camera is synced.

There's no reason to do these on video without an audio option though. They aren't even doing anything with the camera other than watching them talk, please do something to justify my using a visual medium to listen to you.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gyges posted:

Looking at it, they're syncing the audio with one of the cameras but the other camera isn't synced. It also appears to be inconsistent as to which camera is synced.

There's no reason to do these on video without an audio option though. They aren't even doing anything with the camera other than watching them talk, please do something to justify my using a visual medium to listen to you.

Eric needs to be wearing that Ben Mendelsohn outfit with the cape. At least.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
The guys are quite friendly and enjoy feedback, so I'd DM them a quick tweet asking if audio versions of the videos could be released after a bit.

Perhaps released a week~ later, so WHM-hungry folks can immediately watch and support via the ad revenue, and anyone can listen not too long after.

Also I'd assume video is very much a work-in-development and so they want to iron out kinks before making concrete plans or weave too many visual gags into their repartee.

Mailbags make the most sense as a trial balloon: shorter episodes and not part of Patreon content.

Violator
May 15, 2003

kalensc posted:

The guys are quite friendly and enjoy feedback, so I'd DM them a quick tweet asking if audio versions of the videos could be released after a bit.

Perhaps released a week~ later, so WHM-hungry folks can immediately watch and support via the ad revenue, and anyone can listen not too long after.

Also I'd assume video is very much a work-in-development and so they want to iron out kinks before making concrete plans or weave too many visual gags into their repartee.

Mailbags make the most sense as a trial balloon: shorter episodes and not part of Patreon content.

Yeah, their videos are already getting better. The original mailbag video had bad framing where the microphone arms completely blocked Eric. The new multi camera setup is much better.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
Hi,

Wanted to drop in and let you know some of the thought process here.

A reason we moved mailbags to YouTube is that very few people every downloaded those episodes as audio. Same thing with the On Screen episodes. We receive like maybe a 10th of the download numbers a main episode does. The drop off is like a cliff. So we thought only die hard fans listen to the mailbags, they might enjoy seeing us and making it more of a fan/creator shared experience.

We are not yet sure what we're doing with it but part of making it video only is to get people AWARE we have a YouTube channel. We're going to play with more visual elements going forward, I promise. I also am not sure an On Screen is the best introduction to the show for random people downloading off the main feed too. It just isn't exactly what WHM is, so it's odd for someone to download WHM and hear us gush about a movie instead of "hate" it.

We thought doing Mailbag and OS as video might be a better option than not doing them at all.

We also thought we're coming up 10 years doing this show and it's kinda fun and different to try something new. So a decision there is kinda selfish because we just want to do something different. We want to experiment, have fun in a different way, and see what shakes out. It kinda gets old just doing the same thing forever. I'm open to ideas if you think there's something better we could be doing than YouTube.

We have gotten a ton of positive reaction from fans overseas who resigned to never being able to see a live show, etc, etc.

Eric

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thanks for continuing to do the mailbags/On Screens in any form, Eric! I always enjoy them and it honestly doesn't bug me that these are video-only and that the filming rig maybe isn't the most professional yet. I wouldn't expect the hosts of a podcast to also have a pro video setup too. Still enjoyed these :)

I'm interested to see how y'all expand the YouTube channel in the future if stuff like the mailbags and On Screens are going to live there instead of the main feed now. I'll take as much content from you guys as I can get in whatever format I can get it!

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

BlameSpacePod posted:

Hi,

A reason we moved mailbags to YouTube is that very few people every downloaded those episodes as audio. Same thing with the On Screen episodes. We receive like maybe a 10th of the download numbers a main episode does. The drop off is like a cliff. So we thought only die hard fans listen to the mailbags, they might enjoy seeing us and making it more of a fan/creator shared experience.

We are not yet sure what we're doing with it but part of making it video only is to get people AWARE we have a YouTube channel. We're going to play with more visual elements going forward, I promise. I also am not sure an On Screen is the best introduction to the show for random people downloading off the main feed too. It just isn't exactly what WHM is, so it's odd for someone to download WHM and hear us gush about a movie instead of "hate" it.

We thought doing Mailbag and OS as video might be a better option than not doing them at all.

We also thought we're coming up 10 years doing this show and it's kinda fun and different to try something new. So a decision there is kinda selfish because we just want to do something different. We want to experiment, have fun in a different way, and see what shakes out. It kinda gets old just doing the same thing forever. I'm open to ideas if you think there's something better we could be doing than YouTube.

We have gotten a ton of positive reaction from fans overseas who resigned to never being able to see a live show, etc, etc.

Eric

Hey Eric,

Thanks for chiming in here. I really appreciate what you guys do. I guess I would count myself as a die-hard fan, it never occurred to me that people wouldn't download and listen to the mailbag as much as a main episode. I always look forward to the monthly mailbags and it is a serious bummer to not have an audio version on the main feed. I would like you guys to consider putting an audio version of the video mailbag on the main audio feed for those of us who can't view it.

Looking forward to the show in NYC, I already have my ticket.

Septic Knothead fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 27, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BlameSpacePod posted:

Hi,

Eric

It’s good to experiment, and people who don’t listen to the mailbags are utter fools because they present such fantastic content like the game master and drug fables starring Chris Cabin

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

BlameSpacePod posted:

Reasonable stuff

JUST WEAR THE KRENNICK OUTFIT

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

BlameSpacePod posted:

Hi,

Eric

As Septic Knothead mentioned, I never really thought that people wouldn't download the mailbags (I'm subscribed, so everything just auto populates for me). Do you think it would be possible to upload the mailbag as a podcast in addition to the youtube version? I don't even need it to be edited or whatever. I listen to you guys at work, where wifi is spotty, so Youtube really isn't much of an option for me, and the mailbag episodes are some of my favorite content you guys have produced.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Fart City posted:

Do you think it would be possible to upload the mailbag as a podcast in addition to the youtube version? I don't even need it to be edited or whatever. I listen to you guys at work, etc.

Same here. I'll def watch the video either way, but it would be great to have an audio version in my podcast folder as well.

Thanks for the background info Eric!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wouldn't have downloaded the mailbag eps if it weren't for this thread gushing about the mailbags, so I'm not terribly surprised that the downloads drop off like a cliff. I think maybe people think that mailbags are about like, personal questions and behind the scenes poo poo instead of the actual literal poo poo that is often contained in the letters to great comedic effect. Like, a surprising amount of literal poo poo. But they're funny, and that's all I really care about, so you guys do you.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
The mailbag episode after BVS is one of my favorite episodes of any podcast. Those suckers don't know what they're missing.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't mean to be such a fanatic, but I don't think it's possible for the WHM guys to not be entertaining. Their mailbag episodes are great because it's just more WHM goodness.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

It really sucks people weren’t downloading the mailbags, some of my favorite bits came from there like the dude incredulous about Parademons and THE GAMEMASTER

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Best mailbag in a while was when Steve shouts “HOLY gently caress THAT’S TOM CRUISE IN A HAT!”

This latest Nexus is pretty fun. Eric through in a quick line that made me laugh real hard: “I quickly need to gently caress a friend.”

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Great visual aid at the start of the latest YouTube mail bag :

"You make me sick " kennyG

Violator
May 15, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

This latest Nexus is pretty fun. Eric through in a quick line that made me laugh real hard: “I quickly need to gently caress a friend.”

“Worf, you’re coming back for seconds?” had me hooting and hollering. As someone who has never watched Star Trek, I think The Nexus is some of my favorite episodes and makes me want to start watching the series.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Duke posted:

It really sucks people weren’t downloading the mailbags, some of my favorite bits came from there like the dude incredulous about Parademons and THE GAMEMASTER

:agreed: I love WHM's mailbag episodes. They're curated well, and everyone is genuinely funny, and works well together, so they're always entertaining.

It makes sense though, I ~*HATE*~ mailbags from other podcasts, because they just read boring rear end emails from the previous week for 20+ minutes straight. I've flat out stopped listening to some podcasts due to the hosts getting way too full of themselves over how dull mailbag segments become once they get popular.

I will admit that I usually skip On Screen episodes because I kinda want to see the movies (and then rarely do) :negative:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I like the mailbag episodes but I don't find myself going back and relistening to them like I do with the full episodes or even the side projects like Animation Damnation or Side Order of Sleaze. I should probably do that, but I ain't a big fan of toilet humor and there's enough of that going on to dissuade me from including the mailbags when I decide to pick a random episode to listen to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

About to watch The Happytime Murders, which I purposely avoided when it was in theaters even though I had a theater subscription plan and could basically see it whenever I wanted, for context for the new episode :shepicide:

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I saw this old Cracked video today and it has Steve and Andrew in it???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTcqesSBz1s

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Marin Karin posted:

I saw this old Cracked video today and it has Steve and Andrew in it???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTcqesSBz1s

They have a whole slew of videos. I like the one where Steve plays a polyp.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The production footage in the credits is the highlight of Happytime. It's bizarrely fascinating to see people in green jumpsuits crouching and contorting for a 90 minute dick joke. Life of the Party is the lesser 2018 McCarthy vehicle because it lacks any ambition.

I'm surprised the On Screen eps do poorly. Movies I've actually seen are my priority in the WHM feed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The production footage in the credits is the highlight of Happytime. It's bizarrely fascinating to see people in green jumpsuits crouching and contorting for a 90 minute dick joke.
It really is. I hope Henson Alternative (:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) paid them well for that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"At no point did Miss Piggy need to get a loving facial!" :allears:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Brian Henson directed that piece of poo poo?! What?! That is unbelievable!

Like, for the first time ever, I thought they had made something up, so I had to check. Nope, he really directed it. Andrew is right, what a loving black mark for the family.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://youtu.be/TKF5twZ7VZk

Oh man, he totally hosed a puppet.

e: Can’t get the embed to work from the Awful app, but yeah. Yikes.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 29, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

thrawn527 posted:

Like, for the first time ever, I thought they had made something up, so I had to check. Nope, he really directed it. Andrew is right, what a loving black mark for the family.

Not only that, but the whole thing was a huge passion project for him. He’d been trying to get it developed for years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

Oh man, he totally hosed a puppet.

Fucks puppets :colbert:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's wild this ever got made when Avenue Q exists and is the same joke on its face, but is in fact an actually funny show that happens to have puppets.

THE BLACKLIST

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I miss Greg the Bunny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

thrawn527 posted:

He's just continuing the legacy of those brutally unfunny muppet skits his dad did for SNL.