Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

my parents had an old leaky late 70s Winnebago and I got to see the whole country over summers of growing up and staying at KOAs

nature, showers, grilling, beds, hiking, Nintendo- it was rad

it helped that gas was cheap; you don't see as many RVs on the road these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good news for beta males

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Peanut Butler posted:

my parents had an old leaky late 70s Winnebago and I got to see the whole country over summers of growing up and staying at KOAs

I see a ton of RVs out west... gas is extremely cheap right now?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

TheManWithNoName posted:

I see a ton of RVs out west... gas is extremely cheap right now?

well yeah but not 80s/90s cheap

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Trevor Noah pointed out in his recent special that he has worked super loving hard to never camp again, and that there's a sort of naive idiocy to being so unaware of how good you have it you choose to go without shelter. Because after having to live that way unwillingly for a portion of your life, it's not really a vacay respite after that.

Edit: next time you camp, just work super hard to internalize the thought you have no home to return to and this is life now, and you'll get the full authentic experience!

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jan 29, 2019

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Stop enjoying fresh air, exercise and experiences outside your apartment unless you're prepared to always live like that. Why yes I work in IT and am an overweight goony goon, why do you ask?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1090124584349810688?s=19

Did we really need a separate word for "ugly and bad at sex"?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I always enjoyed a night of camping but I guess I'm a freak for not needing a plumbed and electrified apartment to be unconscious in for a few hours.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1090124584349810688?s=19

Did we really need a separate word for "ugly and bad at sex"?

The biggest erogenous zone? Why, it's the simple Human Brain.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Trevor Noah pointed out in his recent special that he has worked super loving hard to never camp again, and that there's a sort of naive idiocy to being so unaware of how good you have it you choose to go without shelter. Because after having to live that way unwillingly for a portion of your life, it's not really a vacay respite after that.

Edit: next time you camp, just work super hard to internalize the thought you have no home to return to and this is life now, and you'll get the full authentic experience!

Sounds like someone dropped their mallow in the fire.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Brawnfire posted:

I always enjoyed a night of camping but I guess I'm a freak for not needing a plumbed and electrified apartment to be unconscious in for a few hours.

I love my house. I love going camping. I don't have to hate one to like the other. It's possible to enjoy either thing. The fact people don't get this is really fuckin weird.

Like, why go for a walk when you can just sit down all day? What's the point? Why make your own food when restaurants exist?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Scratch Monkey posted:

@jack needs a holiday in Cambodia

You Joke, but that sounds like a good Holiday to me. I'm hoping to do that one day to go see Angkor Watt (Which is open for visitors, you can buy passes to tour it), although that's expensive enough it's like a 10-15year away dream to give me time to save for it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
You heard it here folks, going outside is poverty tourism.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Picnic Princess posted:

Like, why go for a walk when you can just sit down all day? What's the point? Why make your own food when restaurants exist?

Finally! Someone who gets me.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

forcing people to live without shelter long term is bad, ergo allowing people to live without shelter for recreation is bad - goons

If you really want to get people houses, mocking the rich idiots who own us should be priority number two, and direct action number one. Camping can be step one in learning how to feed, clothe, and shelter people sustainably and freely.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

We had such great powers of persuasion back then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ponzicar posted:

I'm doing my part to never go outside

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ponzicar posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut Butler posted:

only boomers+ drive rvs, the real millenial poo poo is living in vans

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

luxury handset posted:

only boomers+ drive rvs, the real millenial poo poo is living in vans

This is the truth. A bunch of my friends have camper vans. They've all built their own interiors too.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

This is the truth. A bunch of my friends have camper vans. They've all built their own interiors too.

they'll be back to owning rvs once the allure of Van Life loses its luster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBnyYnV-ZxY&t=1832s

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yes, arguing that camping is somehow equivalent to being homeless or a refugee is an argument from absurdity, as ponzicar pointed out

very good, one gold star for Yawgmoth today!

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

that goon should take their kids camping

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

IOSM: Camping is poverty tourism

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

https://twitter.com/thefurlinator/status/456652041541001216?lang=en

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I'm just an NPC, myself.

ORANGE MAN BAD

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

food court bailiff posted:

yes, arguing that camping is somehow equivalent to being homeless or a refugee is an argument from absurdity, as ponzicar pointed out

very good, one gold star for Yawgmoth today!
just lol if you think that "camping sucks" means "going outdoors at all is terrible"

sorry there isn't enough room in your head for nuance between the 2

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Camping is OK

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Away all Goats posted:

Oof. I have lovely parents but I don't use it to tear other people down like that. What a fuckstick.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Peanut Butler posted:

Peanut Butler posted:

Check out Arizona in the winter and you’ll see that they’re all still out there (especially in Quartzite)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Yawgmoth posted:

just lol if you think that "camping sucks" means "going outdoors at all is terrible"

sorry there isn't enough room in your head for nuance between the 2

Did you forget the take that started this whole conversation? Is that the nuance you’re defending?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Vegan or no, this is pretty dumb. Most of the points seem to rely on the assumption that we'd immediately get rid of all our grassland and national parks if we stopped farming.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I personally do not care for camping. Does anyone else have thoughts on this

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I too stand with hedgehog farmers.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

luxury handset posted:

they'll be back to owning rvs once the allure of Van Life loses its luster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBnyYnV-ZxY&t=1832s

https://vimeo.com/40393795

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Picnic Princess posted:

No kidding, camping is what my husband and I do for date nights. We loving love it.
Camping can be summed up by this quote from Bruce Campbell: "It was the most fun I've ever had being miserable."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I can see how camping loses its allure for people who have been forced by circumstances to sleep rough. That is not me, though.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I enjoyed camping/backpacking when I was young, but now that I'm an old, my back just doesn't cooperate like it used to. Yeah I'm sure there are ways to get around that, but I've become a part of the warm bed, thermostat party now. And showers. Showers are nice.

When I was in HS a bunch of friends and myself backpacked to the next town (SW Ohio, they're far apart and separated by corn) on the railroad tracks. Stopped under an overpass during a thunderstorm, and found four unopened bottles of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill wine that somebody chucked out of their car, I guess, when they were overhead. I don't think, even during later years, I had ever been so unbelievably obliterated drunk in my life.

That's my backpacking story.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1090335090343899142

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

AlbieQuirky posted:

I can see how camping loses its allure for people who have been forced by circumstances to sleep rough. That is not me, though.

I spent a few years when I was younger sleeping rough and camping is still hella fun. Anyone who can't tell the difference between choosing to go somewhere fun and picturesque vs sleeping in a well travelled park so there are enough witnesses around to stop drunk shitheads from kicking you in the head for a laugh is a moron.