Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bob NewSCART posted:

Fashion is very important in lotr and being a melee dps guy wearing lots of armor needs a cool looking helmet.

Speaking of which, what class would you guys recommend if I want to wear bigger armor and hit stuff with weapons, and be able to solo lots of stuff by self healing or leeching or something like that?

That would be a Warden wearing a cosmetic outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I tried finding a list or compilation of cosmetic outfits available but couldn’t really find anything substantial.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bob NewSCART posted:

I tried finding a list or compilation of cosmetic outfits available but couldn’t really find anything substantial.

Every piece of armour in the game is a potential cosmetic with the wardrobe function. It's a long list.

The game is old enough that the people who originally started cataloguing all the outfit options on release have now passed away (as have their domain registrations).

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
You can make a kinship of one now? Looks like I can dream of a prem kinhouse one day for sure.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

sassassin posted:

Every piece of armour in the game is a potential cosmetic with the wardrobe function. It's a long list.

The game is old enough that the people who originally started cataloguing all the outfit options on release have now passed away (as have their domain registrations).

Fair enough. So there’s no real solid wiki or database ala wowhead to check items and the like out?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
There are sites like https://cosmeticlotro.com/, but I don't know if that'll be helpful to you.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

CheeseSpawn posted:

You can make a kinship of one now? Looks like I can dream of a prem kinhouse one day for sure.

I might be wrong but I think the kin houses are linked to kin level which is linked to membership.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

ILL Machina posted:

I might be wrong but I think the kin houses are linked to kin level which is linked to membership.

kin level is based on time.

The question is, how to sustain kinship with min amount of characters.

quote:

Several types of kinships can be formed. A kinship must have at least 8 members. If your kinship membership count drops below 8, it will be disbanded if you do not recruit enough members to meet the minimum within five (5) days.

If your membership drops below 8 characters at any point ,you will receive a warning that your kinship will be disbanded within 5 days. You will continue to see this warning for the full five days regardless of the number of members. As long as you have 8 characters at the end of the 5 days, your kinship will not be disbanded.

Note: Characters not accounts. Each account can have a maximum of 7 characters per server. This means a kinship must contain a minimum of two accounts.

I've read some people on the regular servers use F2P accounts to fill the single kin membership.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I don't think the member number requirement is still a thing.

I've had a one person vanity kin on Anor since a few weeks after it launched and I haven't even gotten a notification yet.

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 18, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My imbued second age sword really, really sucks compared to weapons even below my level (108 in a 105 zone). Did I gently caress it up somehow?

A non LI 105 one-hander has like 100 more dps.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

sassassin posted:

My imbued second age sword really, really sucks compared to weapons even below my level (108 in a 105 zone). Did I gently caress it up somehow?

A non LI 105 one-hander has like 100 more dps.

Most of the benefits of the imbued weapon are in the legacies, not the DPS, so it's not that unusual for it to have a slightly lower DPS than other weapons you might see. But make sure your DPS legacy is at max and consider putting in Anfalas Star-Lit Crystals if you haven't already. Unfortunately, if you don't do group content basically the only way to get these is at the seasonal festivals and it's a pretty long-term project. (I guess you can buy them with Big Battle currency too but gently caress that garbage.) (The non-DPS legacies, on the other hand, are increased using Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment, which you can grind pretty easily solo by doing the Minas Tirith dailies.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I had three star lit crystals on it pre-imbuement, and I know I've used one since (the epic hands out a pile around Minas Tirith, still got 4 I'm saving, potentially for a first age spear since I have a symbol).

It's pretty low on xp but even the current max dps it shows me is significantly less than a purple drop/crafted 105 weapon. Can you permanently gently caress these things or do they all get to the same point eventually, given enough time/effort/money?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

sassassin posted:

I had three star lit crystals on it pre-imbuement, and I know I've used one since (the epic hands out a pile around Minas Tirith, still got 4 I'm saving, potentially for a first age spear since I have a symbol).

It's pretty low on xp but even the current max dps it shows me is significantly less than a purple drop/crafted 105 weapon. Can you permanently gently caress these things or do they all get to the same point eventually, given enough time/effort/money?

The way you can gently caress them is by picking the wrong legacies, e.g. ones that apply to trait lines you never play. Otherwise they all converge - the only difference between imbued first and third ages is the number of ranks of legacies initially unlocked, when maxed out they're identical.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Has there been any official estimation on when Moria is rolled out on the Legendary servers?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The FAQ said they were expecting a four month schedule, which would be Feb 6th.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Peter Jackson just dm'd me to say he's suing.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Since they added more levels of legacies to imbued LIs in the recent patch I've been going back and doing the MT dailies to get scrolls. Incredibly, more than 3 years after they added the zone, my client still crashes about 1/3 of the time I load into Minas Tirith.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jalapeno_dude posted:

Since they added more levels of legacies to imbued LIs in the recent patch I've been going back and doing the MT dailies to get scrolls. Incredibly, more than 3 years after they added the zone, my client still crashes about 1/3 of the time I load into Minas Tirith.

The whole city is dodgy but the dome of the sun interior is the worst and I can't understand why.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Same thing happened on my side too. Have to lower hraphics details to avoid crashing in Minas Tirith...

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I had to drop settings down to that googleable stable sheet. Kinda a shame that nothing but dx9 is reliably stable, some of the updates are kinda pretty. Maybe now that I'm not in bree all the time I should try to bump them back up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't know what I expected but anticlimactic battle at the black gate was pretty anticlimactic.

Session play still sucks both in concept and execution (although these were the boring kind of bad, not the bugged and therefore really difficult kind of bad).

Am I really not getting a quest to buy Radanir a drink?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

I don't know what I expected but anticlimactic battle at the black gate was pretty anticlimactic.

Session play still sucks both in concept and execution (although these were the boring kind of bad, not the bugged and therefore really difficult kind of bad).

Am I really not getting a quest to buy Radanir a drink?

It's hard to surprise people too much after the most famous fantasy movies ever and the most famous fantasy books ever already summed it up pretty well, sometimes I prefer moments that aren't directly from the books but could have happened, just poo poo like meeting Landroval and Gwaihir made my day when those quests first came out.

I completed the raid fully on t1 last night, it's really good. Not much trash mobs, four boss fights to memorize the mechanics of. The easiest boss is the second one so it's hard for pugs unless they check out a guide or really put some practice into the first fight of the instance. Over time it should be very doable for pugs though as people talk about different strats in world chat more.

The best essence in game drop from the raid, the mats for the best crafted items drop from the raid, and then the best gear is bartered but only once you've completed the raid on t2. After months of SSG gamble-whoring and stalling I gotta admit this is some redemption.

Also I am a huge idiot and totally forgot about the Minas Tirith smith daily quests, you get maybe 6? or 7 anfalas scrolls of empowerment for what is basically no work and no effort on a level 120. So Featured Instances being poorly scaled really doesn't matter anyway, nothing will beat those quests for most efficient way to farm scrolls for your legendary weapons.

Not many people play bears but with the new bear changes almost everyone heals because it's the best easiest trait for them. But after talking to some bear tanks I learned something cool: The beorning legendary weapon legacies for tanking are so bad that you can actually skip the hundred day grind of making a tanking weapon. Bear tank is now exclusively the only class where you absolutely should just get the two best high vitality one handers you can get your hands on. But for healing you still want a first age two hander.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My eleventy first birthday present made me smile.

Being told to go to from Mordor to Annuminas on an errand did not.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

sassassin posted:

My eleventy first birthday present made me smile.

Being told to go to from Mordor to Annuminas on an errand did not.

Even if you're not playing a class with travel skills that's just a matter of going to a Stable-Master and double clicking a few times. I'd much rather do that than Bree to Buckland, or, like, Esteldin to literally anywhere else in the North Downs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jalapeno_dude posted:

Even if you're not playing a class with travel skills that's just a matter of going to a Stable-Master and double clicking a few times. I'd much rather do that than Bree to Buckland, or, like, Esteldin to literally anywhere else in the North Downs.

Fast travel destroys any sense of adventure, and I hate when you're forced to use it. The only real thing this game has going for it is its setting so I lose interest fast when it treats middle earth like a small town you can cross at a whim.

Bad enough I have to teleport from Mordor to Lothlorien for this allegiance thing, which I bet is just one conversation then teleporting back.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

sassassin posted:

Fast travel destroys any sense of adventure, and I hate when you're forced to use it. The only real thing this game has going for it is its setting so I lose interest fast when it treats middle earth like a small town you can cross at a whim.

Bad enough I have to teleport from Mordor to Lothlorien for this allegiance thing, which I bet is just one conversation then teleporting back.

This is such a bizarre opinion to me because I would quit the game if there wasn’t any fast travel. Unlocking fast travel for new characters is like 90% of the reason I subscribe occasionally. I still think the current system is pretty bad as it is and could be improved a lot. Disliking fast travel or other “immersion breaking” things does seem to be fairly common among players though.

Yes, I’m aware other people have different opinions and enjoy different things, but a large-scale MMO without any sort of fast travel sounds like torture to me.

Teleporting from one end of the map to the other and then back for a single conversation is always really annoying and obvious padding though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I have no objection to fast travel existing (even the pay2move mithril coin nonsense flashing up on my quest tracker) but I dislike it when landscape quests are built expecting it and/or automatically include it on acceptance of quests. Gandalf doesn't seem to realise we don't all have easy access to eagles.

There's a misty mountains quest to deliver some ingots back to Thorin's Hall. This took me days as I walked/rode the whole way, getting into adventures and cleaning up my quest log there and back again. Visited Evendim for the first time on this character in the process. Top quality LOTRO entertainment, making the most of the huge world on offer.

Udun could use some fast travel I'm already sick of getting around the place. It's worse than Eregion for making you visit the same camps over and over.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Me: mashing the mithril coins I got on sale on arnor as soon as I have to go somewhere new.

Went from gwingris to zigilburg to gath forthnir for the first time in under five minutes for my first class quest. I own the poo poo out of undiscovered routes. DX 9 isn't the scenery in life I'm looking for. I'd rather feel like I made class progress or gotten to a certain level so I could run raids with other people. To me it's like saying you'd grind all the bear assess instead of taking a pile handed to you despite having done the same thing every five levels previously.

Tbf, I felt different my first time through and I didn't coin around, but I still swifted every chance I got after finding the route.

Edit: mithril coins summon eagles

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I definitely imbued wrong. My second age sword's max dps (without more star lit crystals) in almost 80 less than the dps of this green quest reward dagger I got in Mordor. I've wasted a ton of stuff on this piece of garbage and now I can't even deconstruct it. Even the legacies are probably worth less than the massive chunks of vit/agi on this new thing.

ILL Machina posted:

To me it's like saying you'd grind all the bear assess instead of taking a pile handed to you despite having done the same thing every five levels previously.

I'm playing a role playing game so I'm going to go out and murder goblins for the good of Middle Earth instead of treating everything like a "bear rear end" grab, yeah. If I'm just clicking buttons to make numbers go up what's the point? The narrative matters far more than anything else to me.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

sassassin posted:

I definitely imbued wrong. My second age sword's max dps (without more star lit crystals) in almost 80 less than the dps of this green quest reward dagger I got in Mordor. I've wasted a ton of stuff on this piece of garbage and now I can't even deconstruct it. Even the legacies are probably worth less than the massive chunks of vit/agi on this new thing.

Again, ILI DPS depends entirely on the number of DPS legacies you've unlocked on it (and possibly on your level). First, second, and third ages all max out at the same DPS. The only way to imbue wrong is by picking secondary legacies that don't complement your build.

Also, as of the last level cap increase main stats are severely underpowered with respect to secondary stats like masteries, crit rating, finesse, etc, so it may matter less than you think.

Of course you might as well equip the dagger you found and see if your DPS goes up. But I guarantee you that at level cap you'll want your imbued legendaries equipped.

PS it's a small stats difference in the scheme of things but you should make sure to slot up to date relics in your legendaries, which you can barter for with the Mordor rep vendors. IIRC I went into Mordor with basically no Finesse and temporarily slotting the Finesse relics until I geared up more felt like it helped a lot.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 26, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jalapeno_dude posted:

Again, ILI DPS depends entirely on the number of DPS legacies you've unlocked on it (and possibly on your level). First, second, and third ages all max out at the same DPS.

While technically correct it looks like I'd need an unearthly number of star-lit crystals to get it anywhere near the damage of a basic piece of junk from the landscape/quest reward.

The dps difference was actually more than I thought. "Max tier" dps is 516.8. I can't do maths. I'm level eleventy-one versus a level 108 quest reward offhand.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 26, 2019

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yah I mean I get the immersion argument, I just find the fun in games like this to be in the teamwork of some of the encounters and the writing in some of the better edited quests. I actually thin playing a warden and an rk are some of the most fun I've had with classes in mmos in general. I loved the casual jaunts through three zones the first time I did them but now it feels like a slog, but to each their own and I respect the way you enjoy the game and all that.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

While technically correct it looks like I'd need an unearthly number of star-lit crystals to get it anywhere near the damage of a basic piece of junk from the landscape/quest reward.

The dps difference was actually more than I thought. "Max tier" dps is 516.8. I can't do maths. I'm level eleventy-one versus a level 108 quest reward offhand.

I think the max level on LIs is now either 606 or 616, I just hit it and forgot already. Spring festival is a way to get some crystals, they also randomly drop in epic battles but not efficiently. The absolute best way to get 6? scrolls a day is the smith NPC inside Minas Tirith (before the battle) that has you ride to the south gate for 5 instanced quests with "Aragorns Path" or something like that in the name.

There's only a couple ways of getting imbued weapon legacy replacements, like running the 105 raid with 7 or 8 level 120s and bartering for them, or paying mithril coins. But as someone who also had a bunch of stat legacies: They're absolute trash by 120 so if you get any legacy replacement scrolls from an epic quest or otherwise make sure to get rid of the might and agility. At 120 you get gear with like 2200 might on a pair of boots.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

I think the max level on LIs is now either 606 or 616, I just hit it and forgot already. Spring festival is a way to get some crystals, they also randomly drop in epic battles but not efficiently. The absolute best way to get 6? scrolls a day is the smith NPC inside Minas Tirith (before the battle) that has you ride to the south gate for 5 instanced quests with "Aragorns Path" or something like that in the name.

There's only a couple ways of getting imbued weapon legacy replacements, like running the 105 raid with 7 or 8 level 120s and bartering for them, or paying mithril coins. But as someone who also had a bunch of stat legacies: They're absolute trash by 120 so if you get any legacy replacement scrolls from an epic quest or otherwise make sure to get rid of the might and agility. At 120 you get gear with like 2200 might on a pair of boots.

I chose my legacies at a time when I never used many gambits because things died so quickly and I had no chance or need. Spear gambit damage, Resolution damage, Surety of Death DOT all look more attractive now than they did before.

But not as attractive as this basic knife.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

You need to max out the dps legacy with crystals or mithril coins. Not sure what rank yours is at but it goes up to 63, don't think its bound by character level either. Unfortunately it takes a ton of crystals or coins, the imbued legendary system is the main reason I don't level a bunch of alts and play this game more.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fried Sushi posted:

You need to max out the dps legacy with crystals or mithril coins. Not sure what rank yours is at but it goes up to 63, don't think its bound by character level either. Unfortunately it takes a ton of crystals or coins, the imbued legendary system is the main reason I don't level a bunch of alts and play this game more.

The sheer number of crystals I'd need to make it on-par with even random quest trash from quests 3/4 below my level is what makes me think I must have imbued it wrong somehow. I've put 5 or 6 on it (3 pre-imbuement, a few after) and the max available is still 100 dps below. I'm not shocked there's a shortfall but the size of the gap is huge. And I haven't even thought about my javelin yet!

Is the system just incompatible with people playing the game through now? Is there an assumption that you've spent time grinding at each level cap as they were released?

lol at the idea of having to spend real money/mithril coins to make your weapon half decent in an mmo. That's proper scummy behaviour.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

The sheer number of crystals I'd need to make it on-par with even random quest trash from quests 3/4 below my level is what makes me think I must have imbued it wrong somehow. I've put 5 or 6 on it (3 pre-imbuement, a few after) and the max available is still 100 dps below. I'm not shocked there's a shortfall but the size of the gap is huge. And I haven't even thought about my javelin yet!

Is the system just incompatible with people playing the game through now? Is there an assumption that you've spent time grinding at each level cap as they were released?

lol at the idea of having to spend real money/mithril coins to make your weapon half decent in an mmo. That's proper scummy behaviour.

The legendary system is grindy enough that it is worth complaining about but 'having to spend real money to make it half decent' is a dumb statement when I bet you didn't do any of the quick and easy methods I've posted multiple times, now spar me and lose

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

The legendary system is grindy enough that it is worth complaining about but 'having to spend real money to make it half decent' is a dumb statement when I bet you didn't do any of the quick and easy methods I've posted multiple times, now spar me and lose

I didn't stop to grind in Minas Tirith, a region I don't own. I've been spending my time playing the story. Just finished the Aeglos quests in Dor Amarth.

I was in Mordor before I even realised how bad my weapon sucked. Killing was a bit slow but I'd assumed I was just short of xp and maybe Wardens won't supposed to stay op vs the landscape forever.

How long would it take to grind 12 star-lit crystals? I've got enough gold for maybe 2 on the auction house. I'd need 22 to fully max it out (up to rank 63).

sassassin fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 28, 2019

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Getting crystals is super chill during a seasonal event. You can find guides on the interwebs. Yule encore should be coming back soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Do hunters have battle cry abilities? Just wondering if a dwarf or elf hunter would shout the callouts that are either the best or most annoying part of leveling one depending on your tolerance.