Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Look he has a RAINBOW D&D logo av how do you not get that that makes him the most progressive person ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

are you kidding me how is this real

He got a lot of backlash over hiring assholes as playtesters and he's had several years to think on that, so it's not unreasonable that his opinion could be informed by past events :v:

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
That'd be one thing if he were talking about a personal preference for hiring assholes, but he's suggesting that assholes in the industry will end up not getting work, which is pretty definitively not the case.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Man, I know it was pages and pages ago, but I love lovely fantasy maps, so did anyone know the context of this one?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Man, I know it was pages and pages ago, but I love lovely fantasy maps, so did anyone know the context of this one?

...it's Europe rotated 90 degrees? Isn't that the joke?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

...it's Europe rotated 90 degrees? Isn't that the joke?

I assume the idea is that the 'fantasy tropes' of map design are just people ripping it out of how the real world works? Like all those notes are just describing actual european history for the most part.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I think it's from one of the 4chan cartography threads, and is mocking common criticisms of maps.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

LatwPIAT posted:

I think it's from one of the 4chan cartography threads, and is mocking common criticisms of maps.

Yeah, there was a fad for a while for mocking fantasy maps. They are quite mockable, but this is clearly someone satirizing how quickly people disdain fantasy mapmaking.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Saguaro PI posted:

That'd be one thing if he were talking about a personal preference for hiring assholes, but he's suggesting that assholes in the industry will end up not getting work, which is pretty definitively not the case.
Well, in the context of the conversation they're talking about people who are "fun, easy, or rewarding to work with".

I bet, say, the Green Ronin folks find C.A. Suleiman fun/easy/rewarding to work with. Likewise, Holden and Mørke probably have a blast working together.

Also, I know from unhappy experience that having to deal with a harassment or abuse complaint that someone has raised is not at all fun, easy, or rewarding; it's always lovely to learn that someone you're friendly with has been abhorrent towards someone you're also friendly with. How often have we seen companies act like the problem is not that the behaviour which caused the complaint, but the fact that a complaint was raised at all, and treat the whole thing as an exercise in making complaints go away rather than actually tackling the issue? It's 100% the wrong way to go about it, but we've witnessed it happen and discussed it on this thread before; I bet the Green Ronin folk think that the people raising the complaints about Suleiman are the real assholes, not Suleiman himself.

Depressingly, the statement seems to be entirely accurate provided you remember that the decision of who actually gets to work in the industry is in the hands of a limited set of people, at least some of whom are going to define "rear end in a top hat" differently from us.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 29, 2019

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think the only map trope that really bothers me is when a continent fits perfectly in a rectangle, as on Westeros or The Elder Scrolls.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Reveilled posted:

I think the only map trope that really bothers me is when a continent fits perfectly in a rectangle, as on Westeros or The Elder Scrolls.

Glorantha at least has an excuse for this (all the landmasses are raised ridges on a giant floating cube).

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Xelkelvos posted:

This makes me want to look back at the Log Horizon TTRPG which seemed to draw heavily from 4e in terms of character mechanics and categorization of the classes but was obviously built for more limited arcs or one-shots rather than more extended campaigns. Also, it was a game that allowed multiple regular sized characters share spaces including enemies.

I did an F&F years and years ago. https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/xelkelvos/log-horizon/

Hey, this is a really neat system. Thanks for pointing it out!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Reveilled posted:

The one that bothers me is where transoceanic travel is treated as somehow impossible when you have major landmasses in the middle of the Atlantic/Pacific equivalents.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Reveilled posted:

Hey, Westeros has two rectangles, the original page and the horizontal fold-out wide continent.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

slap me and kiss me posted:

Hey, this is a really neat system. Thanks for pointing it out!

I'd like to play or even GM it if someone did a full TL.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Even Japanese RPGs in the conventional mold seem to have fewer hangups about realism and seriousness than American ones. By which I mean want to balance the classes and let you play what you want to play.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ettin posted:

He got a lot of backlash over hiring assholes as playtesters and he's had several years to think on that, so it's not unreasonable that his opinion could be informed by past events :v:

I don't know if the :v: means you're joking, but I think the opposite of this was true.

He generated lot of backlash, but never actually "got" it. It was overshadowed by the toxic glow of his newfound OSR BFFs for killing 4e and returning True D&D power to spellcasters and DMs.

And the smattering of "eh, good enough" applause for Next's awkward nod at LGBTQ issues outweighed any need for real growth. Especially regarding his choice of associates.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.chaosium.com/blogchaosium-announces-new-licensing-deal-for-french-and-spanish-with-edge-entertainment/

So, in just about the least surprising turn of events, Edge will be taking over the license for Call of Cthulhu in French. (And also RuneQuest)

quote:

“All of us here at Edge Entertainment are so excited to be working with Chaosium to make the premier editions of Call of Cthulhu and RuneQuest for our French and Spanish fans.” said Stephane Bogard, studio coordinator at EDGE.

“We were blown away by the distinctive and spectacular edition of Call of Cthulhu EDGE has produced in Spanish, and we can’t wait to see what they can do for the game in French, and for RuneQuest in both languages.” said Chaosium Vice President and Head of Licensing, Michael O’Brien.

Montpellier-based design house Studio Deadcrows will be designing and publishing the French edition of RuneQuest for EDGE.

EDGE takes over the Call of Cthulhu license from Éditions Sans-Détour in France. Under the terms of its now-concluded license, ESD is permitted to sell its existing Call of Cthulhu stock until March 31st 2019. Chaosium has also extended special permission to ESD so it can fulfil its obligations to Ulule crowdfunding backers of Les Masques de Nyarlahotep et Le Jour de la Béte, and for those who pre-ordered it up to January 2nd 2019.

Look at it, it's Call of Cthulhu, but square:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Too Euclidean, no sale.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

there is no ironicat big enough

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I'd like to play or even GM it if someone did a full TL.

However much has been TL'd at this point is about the extent that it'll probably get. I don't think it's even updated at this point so whatever is out there is the most anyone will get.

Edit: It seems there was an Extended Rulebook published in March 2018 (in Japan), but I'm not sure of the contents and the machine translated descriptions are basically that there's more stuff. Obviously there's no PDF of it either because it's Japan :v: If you knew a Japanese speaker, I'm sure I and others would probably pitch in to fill out the translation, but at the very least, the core book and some of the supplements are essentially translated.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 29, 2019

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I can't imagine he didn't, I get the impression Palladium just didn't want to do *kid stuff*.

They only do serious, thinking man's games.
I can’t remember where exactly it was, but I distinctly remember Siembieda writing somewhere about how Palladium’s TMNT was based on the more mature original comics, rather than the “pizza-swilling” cartoon turtles. There was some really neat stuff in the comics that never made it into the first cartoon (though apparently some of the later TMNT cartoons did get into stuff like the Triceratons?), but passing up the chance to pull in fans of one of the most popular cartoons in the country because it was too “kiddy” is very Siembieda now that I think about it.

I still can’t get over how in Villains Unlimited he had an essay about how in real life knocking people out is really hard, actually, so you’d need a natural 20 to do it, ignoring how he’s writing this in a supplement for what is supposed to be a superhero RPG.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ettin posted:

:holymoley:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ettin posted:

I'd be nice if he'd apologize for platforming a gamergater and an unhinged stalker but I guess it'd rock the boat pretty hard at this point to draw attention to the thing you've quietly buried under D&D recent surge in interest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ElNarez posted:

The Llama of Cthulhu.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

However much has been TL'd at this point is about the extent that it'll probably get. I don't think it's even updated at this point so whatever is out there is the most anyone will get.

Edit: It seems there was an Extended Rulebook published in March 2018 (in Japan), but I'm not sure of the contents and the machine translated descriptions are basically that there's more stuff. Obviously there's no PDF of it either because it's Japan :v: If you knew a Japanese speaker, I'm sure I and others would probably pitch in to fill out the translation, but at the very least, the core book and some of the supplements are essentially translated.

I did a little more digging and there's actually a not insignificant subculture for this game that I didn't realize. Or at least one big enough to justify a monthly (though nothing since Spring 2018) Web Magazine with more bits of world building, new monsters and adventures to run. I'm legitimately surprised.

https://lhrpg.com/lhz/top
This is basically the website for the RPG and run by the devs of the game. It even has a feature where you can register your Twitter account and Create an Adventurer to go with it. It's an impressive labor of love for what's essentially a niche game. (The rule books are also only ~1500 yen which is cheaper than most indie titles)

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

ElNarez posted:

You want Hounds of Tindalos in the office? That's how you get Hounds of Tindalos!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ewen Cluney posted:

I can’t remember where exactly it was, but I distinctly remember Siembieda writing somewhere about how Palladium’s TMNT was based on the more mature original comics, rather than the “pizza-swilling” cartoon turtles. There was some really neat stuff in the comics that never made it into the first cartoon (though apparently some of the later TMNT cartoons did get into stuff like the Triceratons?), but passing up the chance to pull in fans of one of the most popular cartoons in the country because it was too “kiddy” is very Siembieda now that I think about it.

The Rifter #9:

The 2003 cartoon borrowed a lot more from the original comic, yeah.

The weirdest part is that the 2012 cartoon had the "Dream Beavers", who are an obvious knockoff of the Terror Bears. One of them was even renamed from his original name - Doom Beaver - presumably because of his resemblance to Doom Bear. I can't help but think of some alternate reality where Siembieda took the license, got to see the Terror Bears on TV, and got to put their toys in his toy collection.

Of course, in this reality, we have Dream Beaver toys instead.

Ewen Cluney posted:

I still can’t get over how in Villains Unlimited he had an essay about how in real life knocking people out is really hard, actually, so you’d need a natural 20 to do it, ignoring how he’s writing this in a supplement for what is supposed to be a superhero RPG.

Well, it's a "19-20 with bonuses", but yeah, calling for realism with a superhero trying to knock out an restrained, ordinary human is an odd passage, and Villains Unlimited definitely feels like one of the most Palladiumiest books that was ever published. The repeated calls to realism are particularly weird for a superhero RPG, particularly when on the same page he's using fiction tropes to justify the rules he was just praising as realistic on the same page. Of course, all this rewards is more "guns and grenades" style play, where shotguns to the face rule and most everything else drools.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Rifter #9:

That he goes out of his way to compliment his writers goes against my Siembeda presumptions.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Rifter #9:

Huh. "Sales were dropping, gamers (aside from a few vocal ones) apparently didn't want it, distributors didn't want it" is better than "I won't stoop to making a product based on a license that's actually popular."

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Palladium is an entire universe of RPGs I never really understood any part of because I never got to play it. Two of my longest-running RPG players grew up playing rifts too, but joined my d&d group in high school and never went back. It's crazy to me that there is a major subculture of gaming that I can go years having more or less forgotten exists.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
To be honest, I think Kevin probably has a point. Teenagers tend to be really uptight about rejecting Kid Stuff while embracing things that are equally silly but have a veneer of being Serious and Mature.

That said, Palladium became an insular culture over time largely by design.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

andrew smash posted:

Palladium is an entire universe of RPGs I never really understood any part of because I never got to play it. Two of my longest-running RPG players grew up playing rifts too, but joined my d&d group in high school and never went back. It's crazy to me that there is a major subculture of gaming that I can go years having more or less forgotten exists.

Either WEG Star Wars or Rifts was the very first TTRPG I ever played. Or, in the case of Rifts, "played", because the guy with the book and I spent two entire study halls trying to make my character, but by the end we were both frustrated and just played (more?) Star Wars. Other than that, a couple years later when I joined the school gaming club was the only other time I encountered Rifts "in the wild", because there was a regular 12+ player mostly free-form years-long game that almost all the older kids played in.

I can't believe I stuck with this hobby.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

piL posted:

That he goes out of his way to compliment his writers goes against my Siembeda presumptions.

To be fair, he's specifically praising Erick Wujick, who ISTR was one of the very few people Siembieda would treat like an equal because they were good buddies and Wujick was in on Palladium from the beginning. (It certainly feels like Palladium's journey into the wilderness accelerated after Wujick died, I guess because one of the few people that Kevin would listen to was gone.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

homullus posted:

Huh. "Sales were dropping, gamers (aside from a few vocal ones) apparently didn't want it, distributors didn't want it" is better than "I won't stoop to making a product based on a license that's actually popular."
Yeah, that's remarkably reasonable and even has a pretty neutral and probably-accurate explanation for the market collapse. Did... did the Internet really gently caress everything up?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

To be honest, I think Kevin probably has a point. Teenagers tend to be really uptight about rejecting Kid Stuff while embracing things that are equally silly but have a veneer of being Serious and Mature.

Probably. That being said, I think part of the issue with his theory is that TMNT & Other Strangeness had likely pretty well saturated the RPG fandom at that point. Pretty much anybody who was or wanted to own a copy of it at that point, so selling new copies of the old game may not have been particularly good bellwether for the success of a new edition.

Of course, that was also right after the CCG crash (which murdered RPGs in general) which probably impacted their sales heavily beforehand, and before the d20 boom (which murdered RPGs not along for the ride), which likely would have killed it in hindsight anyway.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I am amazed that Palladium had the license for that long. That is like a full decade longer than I would have thought they had managed to hold on to it.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Nessus posted:

Yeah, that's remarkably reasonable and even has a pretty neutral and probably-accurate explanation for the market collapse. Did... did the Internet really gently caress everything up?

Probably, yes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Arthil posted:

Probably, yes.

One of the biggest change is role playing moving from retail stores to almost totally internet retailers and pdfs. My local flgs has a surprisingly good selection considering, but none of them ever seem to move and now that Pathfinder is between editions the only gaming I see is occasional d&d fifth.

I used to be a huge collected of rpg books, but now I just buy the physical corebook and get everything else digitally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Arthil posted:

Probably, yes.

Book piracy was a really small niche in the '90s, all things considered, and wouldn't really hit until the year 2000 (though it wasn't full-swing until the mid-2000s). The CCG craze probably did the most to damage RPG sales in the 1990s, as it took money and attention away from RPGs in general.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 30, 2019