Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yo k8, have you messed around with oil yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I have, oil and trains I both enjoy a lot, because they're kinda separate systems you build in parallel. They add a lot of new stuff to think about, which is why I have so many resources pouring into my base that I would have to build some absolutely enormous poo poo to use it. The first oil source I found was I dunno, 60 seconds of train away? So building a station at each end to buffer all that was fun.

I really do like the game, maybe I will go back to enjoying it if I just forget about it for a few days.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Maybe OpenTTD would be more fun? Focuses more on the train side of things.

Yeah, plopping down optimized factory blocks like you described doesn't sound fun at all. So... don't do that. Make mini factories that each specialize in a single product. Or make your factory as dense as possible. Optimise the pollution output. Do a lazy bastard run. Design a factory that only builds intermediate components just-in-time.

Don't play the game in a way you don't enjoy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah I'm kinda leaning toward starting again and making my first factory just a rush to rails and setting up individual factories to produce a few products each and then training them to a new factory each time I tech up, and when I get oil making a point to convert everything possible from coal to solid fuel just for the hell of having it on a feedback loop.

I do like the pressure of having enemies, I honestly wish they were significantly harder to deal with but maybe that ramps up more if I play differently or get closer to late game so I don't think I'll crank it up yet.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Ambaire posted:

Does anyone know how the gently caress to clear my Factorio steam cloud save storage? Started playing it again after a hiatus and I discovered I had 370MB of .16 seablock saves that I had thought I had cleared. Turns out they're in the steam cloud for some dumb reason and every time I relaunch Factorio, it redownloads them. Tried deleting them with the game running.. nope, still redownloads. I'd like to clear it out and start using the steam cloud again from scratch...

I think the way the cloud saves work is that it only saves the most recent saves up until whatever the size limit is (1 gig, maybe?). So I think the 'solution' is to make a bunch of saves and push those out. If there's another way I'd love to know myself.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Have you messed with nuclear power yet?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

K8.0 posted:

I have, oil and trains I both enjoy a lot, because they're kinda separate systems you build in parallel. They add a lot of new stuff to think about, which is why I have so many resources pouring into my base that I would have to build some absolutely enormous poo poo to use it. The first oil source I found was I dunno, 60 seconds of train away? So building a station at each end to buffer all that was fun.

I really do like the game, maybe I will go back to enjoying it if I just forget about it for a few days.

So when I read your first post I thought I had a great tip for you, which was to not necessarily go for next science, but just automate "the next thing" you haven't yet. Maybe you haven't done assemblers yet, or solar panels, or train tracks. Maybe add those cogs you don't want to automate over and over to your bus. And after that you do the next next thing. Now that you posted this I'm thinking maybe you've done plenty of those things already done most those things. Maybe one of those mods that starts you off with a small amount of bots might help, because it would allow you to easily copy-paste previous builds.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

K8.0 posted:

Yeah I'm kinda leaning toward starting again and making my first factory just a rush to rails and setting up individual factories to produce a few products each and then training them to a new factory each time I tech up, and when I get oil making a point to convert everything possible from coal to solid fuel just for the hell of having it on a feedback loop.

I do like the pressure of having enemies, I honestly wish they were significantly harder to deal with but maybe that ramps up more if I play differently or get closer to late game so I don't think I'll crank it up yet.

There's no need to start all over if you want to try a new idea without the hand-inserter phase. You can use what you've got established so far in order to rebuild a more optimal base somewhere else. Personally, the first hour of the game is the biggest hump for me to get over because babysitting a dozen miners, a belt factory and an embryonic lab is particularly tedious. Once you're ready to go live on your new bus, just redirect your raw resources away from your old complex and start disassembling it.
I'm working on a new complex with distributed ore processing and red and green chip assembly in my current save, and I'm toying with the idea of setting up a central warehouse and doing a fully distributed system with on-demand train dispatch.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Sorry for the double, but I'm thinking on how to run a universal unloader while having inventory control in place. I'm not super great with circuit logic yet but my initial thought is to set the station to read the contents of the train, then compare it with either the inventory on hand or a SR-type yes/no switch, so that if the Depot needs more stuff it will allow an unload and if it doesn't, it blocks the inserters and sends the train away.
I'm sure the better option is to use either a signal-controlled parking lot or to run comm lines along the rail network, but beyond basic latches and turning off old ore patches as they dry up, I don't even know what I don't know w/r/t logic in this game.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The only problem I have with nuclear is that it's a solved system. If you have X Reactors, you need Y heat exchangers and Z turbines, and the ratios are pretty static; once you have a blueprint there's very little room for innovation, and deviating from the ratio is a pure downgrade.

I also have this problem with steam generation.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
So I'm a beginner sorta, played a few years ago but haven't ever won the game. I've just started a new map with the idea of learning to create a bus. I've chosen 4-lanes and wonder if that is a bad idea, as in, do I need a really big production to support it?

Also, whats the true use of 4-lane? I use some blueprint splitters from https://wiki.factorio.com/tutorial:main_bus and what's the benefit of 4-lane? Just to make sure you get materials to the "end" of the bus? should I split from any other lane than the left most or right most when I split?

I also will make sure to create huge spaces for my factories now. Hopefully not feel completely overwhelmed by the switch to robos. I love the things :3: but I always get the feeling of where do I start with them, and after building all these neat belts, I kinda feel a bit empty inside.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

saihttam posted:

\
Also, whats the true use of 4-lane? I use some blueprint splitters from https://wiki.factorio.com/tutorial:main_bus and what's the benefit of 4-lane? Just to make sure you get materials to the "end" of the bus? should I split from any other lane than the left most or right most when I split?

every belt has a throughput limit, so more bus belts = more stuff = bigger factory

side-preference splitters make it kind of impractical to care which side of the bus you split off from. if your right-side tap isn't getting enough stuff, you can use a staircase of three right-output splitters before it to force every possibly item as far right as it can go

generally a ton of really fancy splitter tech got obsoleted by side-preference splitters and nobody's bothered cleaning it out of the wiki

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

gently caress, when is that update coming

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
They said if not Jan then February. I'd be stoked if they announce it in this week's FFF.

I've been playing one of the 0.17 mods in preparation. I really like the changes to the tech tree and science recipes.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 28, 2019

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

LordSaturn posted:

generally a ton of really fancy splitter tech got obsoleted by side-preference splitters and nobody's bothered cleaning it out of the wiki

Given how Reddit reacted when they removed balancer blueprints, I'm not surprised.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

LordSaturn posted:

every belt has a throughput limit, so more bus belts = more stuff = bigger factory

side-preference splitters make it kind of impractical to care which side of the bus you split off from. if your right-side tap isn't getting enough stuff, you can use a staircase of three right-output splitters before it to force every possibly item as far right as it can go

Oh I see, so I can basically just use a few splitters in cascades with the side-preference? thats good to know, I used it for my coal and I wasn't sure about the difference with these fancy blueprints (they look cool though)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

saihttam posted:

So I'm a beginner sorta, played a few years ago but haven't ever won the game. I've just started a new map with the idea of learning to create a bus. I've chosen 4-lanes and wonder if that is a bad idea, as in, do I need a really big production to support it?

I also will make sure to create huge spaces for my factories now. Hopefully not feel completely overwhelmed by the switch to robos. I love the things :3: but I always get the feeling of where do I start with them, and after building all these neat belts, I kinda feel a bit empty inside.

You don't need 4-lanes for every material. For a first-time "just trying to launch a single rocket" the only things that need that much throughput are iron, copper, and maybe green circuits. You can probably get away with two lanes of green circuits and one of everything else.

I recommend KatherineofSkye's tutorial over the one you linked, she goes into a lot more detail wrt the how / why / how much: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754378586

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

People use 4 lane buses because that's the max distance an underground yellow belt will reach, which is important for intersections.

Also, https://doomeer.com/factorio/ calculates how much and of what raw material you need for a given rate of finished product. For instance a 20/minute rate of all types of science other than Space Science Packs, you only need 4 red belts of iron, 3 of copper, 1.5 green circuit and relatively small amounts of other stuff.

edit: I just launched my first AngelBob rocket. That last stretch where suddenly you need tons of ammonia, tungsten and silver was a gnarly surprise.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Background: I've never really done anything besides build up my starting area, limp my way to a rocket, and call it a game. This time I'm getting really annoyed by the geography of my starting area and the resulting tragedy that is my base layout. I've just finished automated blue science and am dreading moving into purple/gold with my current setup. I want to build up something nicer from scratch and maybe go for a post-rocket game for once.

So I'm think of just leaving my current factory in the dust and starting from scratch. Fill up a tank with drills, walls, ammo, assemblers, belts, furnaces, and loving off to a nicer part of the map. I've seen other people in the thread mention that they've done this before, but is this viable to do prior to the very late game? My worry is that if I go too far out past the starting area there's going to be so many bugs that I'll be swarmed to death since I only have mid-game defense tech.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Galvanik posted:

People use 4 lane buses because that's the max distance an underground yellow belt will reach, which is important for intersections.

Also, https://doomeer.com/factorio/ calculates how much and of what raw material you need for a given rate of finished product. For instance a 20/minute rate of all types of science other than Space Science Packs, you only need 4 red belts of iron, 3 of copper, 1.5 green circuit and relatively small amounts of other stuff.

edit: I just launched my first AngelBob rocket. That last stretch where suddenly you need tons of ammonia, tungsten and silver was a gnarly surprise.

Of course, "only" 4 red lanes of iron is ~87 furnaces, which is a lot to set up and supply. Maybe I'm bad at building at scale, but that's a lot to me.

Sydin posted:

Background: I've never really done anything besides build up my starting area, limp my way to a rocket, and call it a game. This time I'm getting really annoyed by the geography of my starting area and the resulting tragedy that is my base layout. I've just finished automated blue science and am dreading moving into purple/gold with my current setup. I want to build up something nicer from scratch and maybe go for a post-rocket game for once.

So I'm think of just leaving my current factory in the dust and starting from scratch. Fill up a tank with drills, walls, ammo, assemblers, belts, furnaces, and loving off to a nicer part of the map. I've seen other people in the thread mention that they've done this before, but is this viable to do prior to the very late game? My worry is that if I go too far out past the starting area there's going to be so many bugs that I'll be swarmed to death since I only have mid-game defense tech.

Yes, absolutely pack up a tank and look for a nice open area to start again. It's absolutely viable to do before end game.

A few ideas:
- shut down parts of your factory so you're making less pollution. This keeps the bugs off your back for a bit.
- spend some time researching military stuff and building up your strength. You're going to want a lot of ammo and turrets.
- bugs are easier to kill than you think.
- grenades and poison capsules are your friends.
- build a train between your new and old bases to make the move easier.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The train idea is solid, will absolutely do that. I need some prep time any way to make cannon shells and solar equipment, so I can just add rails to the list. Never tried poison capsules before; I've pretty much only ever used vehicles and turrets. They don't look all that annoying to make though so I'll give them a whirl. Thanks for the tips. :)

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Poison caps are easy to make and useful for most of the game. I definitely prefer them over grenades for taking out trees since they can do so without damage upgrades (which grenades need to be able to oneshot trees) and won't damage buildings. They're also very nice for an initial attack on a large enemy base, since they will kill small worms and significantly weaken medium/large ones, but they also stack, so even big worms can be taken out if you toss enough capsules. They also have a decent AoE so you can hit worms with them from outside of the worms' range, which is especially helpful before power armor.

Unfortunately they're locked behind military 3 which means you need oil up and running (for blue packs) before you can use them, so I've used them a lot less since they got moved there.

If you're at laser tech and have decent power excess (which should be a thing if you mostly shut down your old base) run power lines along the rails between your old and new bases, and stick a couple lasers on every pole. This also gives your new base some power to start up with, and carves out a safe corridor for travelling between the two.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Take some time to route everything you need to expand and defend a factory to the same place, so you can drive by and ctrl-click a bunch of chests in case you run out of anything. Leave your existing factory in place to continue to produce that poo poo for you until it starves for raw materials.

When you have bots and trains you can use a temporary roboport network to rip everything out and then load it all onto a train for delivery elsewhere. Upgrading obsolete belts and assemblers from legacy installations preserves the raw materials built into them, allowing you to build more things.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Roflex posted:

If you're at laser tech and have decent power excess (which should be a thing if you mostly shut down your old base) run power lines along the rails between your old and new bases, and stick a couple lasers on every pole. This also gives your new base some power to start up with, and carves out a safe corridor for travelling between the two.

Trains run over biters real well. Train rails usually don't need defended.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You don't need 4-lanes for every material. For a first-time "just trying to launch a single rocket" the only things that need that much throughput are iron, copper, and maybe green circuits. You can probably get away with two lanes of green circuits and one of everything else.

I recommend KatherineofSkye's tutorial over the one you linked, she goes into a lot more detail wrt the how / why / how much: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754378586

This was definitely more updated that the wiki, thanks. I somehow thought that a vertical factory line along my vertical bus was the way to go, so all this helps. Now I just have to research explosives for the cliffs that's in the way of my bus :v:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Solumin posted:

Of course, "only" 4 red lanes of iron is ~87 furnaces, which is a lot to set up and supply. Maybe I'm bad at building at scale, but that's a lot to me.

Yes, absolutely pack up a tank and look for a nice open area to start again. It's absolutely viable to do before end game.

A few ideas:
- shut down parts of your factory so you're making less pollution. This keeps the bugs off your back for a bit.
- spend some time researching military stuff and building up your strength. You're going to want a lot of ammo and turrets.
- bugs are easier to kill than you think.
- grenades and poison capsules are your friends.
- build a train between your new and old bases to make the move easier.

4 red lanes of iron should be close to 200 furnaces. My red furnace blocks are 48 furnaces per belt but I think the actual ideal number is slightly less than that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

uPen posted:

4 red lanes of iron should be close to 200 furnaces. My red furnace blocks are 48 furnaces per belt but I think the actual ideal number is slightly less than that.

47 basic furnaces smelting iron saturate a yellow belt, 94 saturate a red belt, and 140 saturate a blue belt

steel / electric furnaces are twice as fast, so halve these numbers, but due to rounding issues it's 24 for a yellow belt

steel is five times slower than iron/copper so you need five times as much (or, more likely, just don't bother with full steel saturation until you have speed + productivity mods online)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://factoriocheatsheet.com

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

uPen posted:

I don't know the numbers that well, I just used the number from the site Galvanik linked and assumed the amount listed was 4 red belts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
4 red belts isn't a ridiculous amount of materials but it's more useful if it's 2 red belts here and 2 red belts there.

At a certain point you don't need the red belts in-between the furnace and the green circuit block.

What I'm trying to say is 4 belt bus is ehhhhhh.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
All 4 belts don't need to be the same resource. Using 4 belts from the start is nice because underground belts can go over the 4. Going lower would just lead to needing more undergrounds overall.

Reorganizing the bus half way through it's total length is also really annoying and looks terrible.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
My 2 cents: anything you build (other than maybe solar farms) from the start of the game until... some point we'll call "point X" is inherently temporary. At point X you start setting up permanent production lines. For me, I never got to point X. 4 yellow belts were enough, but only just, for my 3 factories, where I only played to the first rocket each time. 4 reds should imo absolutely get you to reasonable levels of tier3 module production, which is probably a good estimate for point X.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Dancer posted:

4 reds should imo absolutely get you to reasonable levels of tier3 module production

Tier 3 modules are way more expensive than you think. Just two assemblers making Tier 3 modules require more than three red belts of copper plates and nearly two red belts of iron plates to be in continuous operation, and will produce only 2.5 modules a minute between them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is how I make my smelter lanes to fill one belt. 24 furnaces on each side. Same layout for steel furnaces with red belts. Feed ore into one splitter and fuel into the other.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 29, 2019

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
My smelter array feeding 4 blue lanes of iron

That's using Electric Furnace 2, which even with the modules still has a crafting speed of over 2. There's 120 in this shot and another 24 out of frame.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Am I the only one that sets up one 32 x 2 furnace column for iron, one for copper, and later a 16 x 2 for steel, then build up to (my goal or bots, whichever comes first) then head in a direction and start over if I want a mega-factory? Proper busses are boring and annoying to set up imo, so I just ensure my furnace columns are fed properly and upgrade belt as needed. You can’t pump out modules with it, but it’s so much easier.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Collateral Damage posted:

This is how I make my smelter lanes to fill one belt. 24 furnaces on each side. Same layout for steel furnaces with red belts. Feed ore into one splitter and fuel into the other.

god damnit, why do I make my lanes more complicated than they have to be

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Since I love seeing everyone's bases and hearing people sperg about belts and ratios, here's my completely unoptimized base! Been playing off an on for a month or so, on a railworld map with no biters and a lot of water. I am not a fan of huge belts and megabases, but I do love me some trains.

Whole map:

It's pretty spread out and takes a while to train from one end to the other. For the most part I have trains set up to go to stations like "IronOre-Pickup" (mine) -> "Staging" -> "IronOre-Drop" (smelter) and they get fueled up in the Staging area, which is kinda near the middle, a bunch of parallel stations all with the same name. That proved to be a bit busy, so now I've got a separate "ore warehouse" area with trains doing "IronOre-Pickup" -> "Put-IronOre", and then it's unloaded into chests, and then right into another train sitting at a "Get-IronOre" stop and that train then goes to the original "IronOre-Drop". So instead of 3 stops for each of those trains, it's just two, with some basic circuit logic to disable stations if they're full (or empty depending on get/put).

You can see my iron plate warehouse area in the next screenshot, as well as the dedicated "steel smelter" base, which itself has just a "Coal-Drop" and an "IronOre-Drop" and then all the steel goes to a "Steel-Pickup" station.

The Iron Plate warehouse follows the same pattern as the ore warehouse, a parallel track for trains to drop off iron plates, goes into chests, then a station for other trains to pick up the plates. At the far left is a coal station which fuels the trains. Some places I use coal, others solidfuel, not super picky about it.

I have a lot of dedicated mini-bases, like one that makes engines, one that makes electric engines, one that makes logistic bots (including those bot-frames, so it has like 5 different input stations and one output). I make my basic science (red, green, blue) in my original starting base, which has that paved area in the first screenshot. Then I have a purple science base and a military science base, which take some basic ingredients and then make beakers. Finally all the science goes to my science base.

Slowly working towards Yellow beakers, but i'm far away, I've only got one red-circuit base and one green-circuit base, haven't done blue yet nor done any modules at all. At the moment the challenge is getting more iron, which so far has been in fairly small patches (though I do use infinite ores) so as I get more map visible through radar stations I start adding new rail loops. Usually that means a coal-drop and some steam power, followed by a ton of mines and an ore-pickup station. There are two pretty big ore patches that'll require some snaky rails and landfill to reach, and then I can look at making an electric smelterbase, hopefully powered by nuclear (which I've started making fuel for). Sadly, my rail network is already getting bottlenecks, and I've made some loops to get around busy intersections, but the more trains I add the worse it gets...

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Koobze posted:

You can see my iron plate warehouse area in the next screenshot, as well as the dedicated "steel smelter" base, which itself has just a "Coal-Drop" and an "IronOre-Drop" and then all the steel goes to a "Steel-Pickup" station.

The Iron Plate warehouse follows the same pattern as the ore warehouse, a parallel track for trains to drop off iron plates, goes into chests, then a station for other trains to pick up the plates. At the far left is a coal station which fuels the trains. Some places I use coal, others solidfuel, not super picky about it.

Are you just chopping trees by hand? I can't imagine how else you wove the rail station into the forest like that. It looks nice, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

All this talk of "warehouses" makes me really wish there were a 3x3 building with the same functionality as a chest. Plus maybe give it discrete internal storage areas so you can sort and filter it or something.