Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

nah she got out a bit ago

was she in for something cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

was she in for something cool

had sex with a student at the high school she was a teacher at

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

had sex with a student at the high school she was a teacher at

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

so there’s almost definitely been a gbs thread about her

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
there has not

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

looks like she wasn't the only one keeping tabs

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

looks like she wasn't the only one keeping tabs

someone would have told me if there were

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i remember some goon in a similar situation made an a/t thread years ago. the OP didn't give out identifying info but sure enough a couple creepy goons started asking juuust the right questions in order to internet detective the news articles and doxx the OP :thumbsup:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

my bitter bi rival posted:

my SE is dying and im in big trouble because all of the phones are bad now

I bought a refurbed SE for $150 and it's sitting in a drawer waiting for me to drop the one i have. If civilization lasts long enough for me to need a new one after that, I'll probably just die instead

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i wonder if there is a small dumb phone that supports tethering. so you could just keep a simless smart phone in your bag for when you need maps navigation or whatever

e: i know there are those tiny bluetooth things that are supposed to pair with your huegphone

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
there are some portable battery wifi access points that take SIM cards and support tethering, but AFAICT each one is carrier specific

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400503,00.asp

we have one at work when we travel out in the middle of nowhere and have to set up a connection back to home base and when we don't feel like dicking around with satellite

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i wonder if there is a small dumb phone that supports tethering. so you could just keep a simless smart phone in your bag for when you need maps navigation or whatever

e: i know there are those tiny bluetooth things that are supposed to pair with your huegphone

literally buy a pre

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/hotspots/AC815S.aspx

You can find that for sale on amazon and ebay unlocked, it works with att, tmobile and anywhere in world that isn't a cdma network

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

literally buy a pre

does the pre even support modern https?

my windows phone 7 I use for ccc events doesn’t lol

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I would like to try out the Librem 5 in the distant murky future when it is released, because I am curious if some Linux nerds would have learned from all of the mistakes of weCyanogenMod, Firefox OS, Ubuntu Mobile, Sailfish OS, Tizen, webOS, etc.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

does the pre even support modern https?

my windows phone 7 I use for ccc events doesn’t lol

It just used whatever webkit was at the time, which was like ... what, 2008? something like that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the point is even today they're good at placing & receiving calls and doing sms and they have a utility that turns them into an access point so that's why i posted it. Probably not worth the effort involved in finding batteries tho.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I barely remember my pre

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it was smooth and round, like a river rock

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I remember having x-plane on it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

is there any granularity to the ios "reduce motion" setting in the accessibility section of the settings? some of the default whooshy swoopy animations are legit disorienting to me but if i turn on the reduce option it makes the app switcher carousel unusable :ughh:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

it was smooth and round, like a river rock

everyone I remember having a pre ended up losing it in a toilet

palm pee

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i've noticed some ios app store developers tout that their app "never looks at your personal data, it's only stored on your device/icloud". that's really cool and all but does anyone ever audit such claims?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i've noticed some ios app store developers tout that their app "never looks at your personal data, it's only stored on your device/icloud". that's really cool and all but does anyone ever audit such claims?

i'm sure the rigorous app store approval process involves careful verification of every such claimpffffahahahahaha

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'd have to say my favorite thing about switching to ios is that 50% of the time it fails to send pictures or videos via mms

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Lutha Mahtin posted:

last time i hosed around with the ios sdk if you don't have the right permissions can't figure out poo poo about the user

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
at one point you could get the users phone number and also some unique identifier, but apple removed that and now generates a unique ID per user, per application (user ID 123 in FartApp #1 is not the same person as user ID 123 in FartApp #2)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my buddy had to get an android for work so he could support execs that used it, so he was given a Galaxy S9.

The thing had 3 different web browsers on it preinstalled.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i keep toying with the idea of getting a cheap android to poke at since i like understanding current ui trends through experience

is there such a thing as a passable cheapish phone to toy with, or am i better taking a spare galaxy s5 and sticking weedlord420 lineage 15.1.i on it for a while?

ive done similar to a cheap fire tablet and the venerable touchpad but both are old and either old or low spec enough that everything crawls

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
from my experience of the dev android devices at work, it really seems like android has improved from always poo poo to mixed bag

the most annoying thing I’ve experienced with them so far is that they don’t consistently do captive WiFi well. some phones it works flawlessly but there are a lot of phones that will never bring it up and will just display a warning message in the browser with no way to override it. at that point I have to use the hotspot feature on my phone to get it to connect

also wtf is up with the find my phone thing being an app instead of a baked in feature of the phone. that makes no sense to me, couldn’t someone just easily uninstall that and effectively disable it?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Agile Vector posted:

i keep toying with the idea of getting a cheap android to poke at since i like understanding current ui trends through experience

is there such a thing as a passable cheapish phone to toy with, or am i better taking a spare galaxy s5 and sticking weedlord420 lineage 15.1.i on it for a while?

ive done similar to a cheap fire tablet and the venerable touchpad but both are old and either old or low spec enough that everything crawls

I would say the nexus 5 would be a good choice

it’s cheap and the ui surprisingly isn’t that laggy

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

My Linux Rig posted:

also wtf is up with the find my phone thing being an app instead of a baked in feature of the phone. that makes no sense to me, couldn’t someone just easily uninstall that and effectively disable it?

if they can unlock it.

you can disable location services on ios as well via the settings, but they need to get past the lock screen.

if someone gets your phone with no lock on it, you're screwed anyways.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

there is honestly so little to see on this front, but the nokia 3.1 plus is the sensible low-end (all around ok though not particularly great in any way, is on android one so you get some guaranteed updates)

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if they can unlock it.

you can disable location services on ios as well via the settings, but they need to get past the lock screen.

if someone gets your phone with no lock on it, you're screwed anyways.

yeah but you can also just factory reset an android and that would get rid of the app too

if an iPhone gets iCloud locked, a factory reset won’t help

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
uhh android phones have activation lock too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is the area where i really trust apple far far more than anyone else

there's a lot of bullshit about keyloggers and malware and whatnot being extrapolated about android phones at times, but the locking mechanisms being trustworthy i go for a "probably" on apple and a "hahaha no" on pretty much all android devices

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

whatever the cheapest Nokia is probably fine.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

just download android studio and make a device image. you can create ones with the play store installed so you can go install anything you want

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

thanks for the suggestions! i think i have a buddy with an old nexus, and i forgot those nokias were a thing

ill try the studio first, i completely forgot that route was an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is the area where i really trust apple far far more than anyone else

there's a lot of bullshit about keyloggers and malware and whatnot being extrapolated about android phones at times, but the locking mechanisms being trustworthy i go for a "probably" on apple and a "hahaha no" on pretty much all android devices

I tried the locking mechanism on the test moto x we have and it seemed to work after being factory reset

but to your point when I googled ways to override it, there are like 3 different ways to do that with the last one being flashing the device with a custom firmware. the first two didn’t work on the moto x but I could see it working on other phones and the last one would seem like it would always work

so yeah I can see why someone might be nervous about that