Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I watched a season 30 episode yesterday where Homer goes to work for a self driving car company that everyone loves because it has lots of fun things to do for the employees, but the employees are too nerdy to use their hockey rink, pool table, free cafeteria, etc so Homer and Marge teach the dorks to have fun or something. I turned it off halfway through, Marge sounds like Krusty doing his impression of her before the Mad Marge Dancers come on stage in the episode where Otto almost gets married

Also I know Nancy Cartwright is a lunatic after listening to her Scientology recruitment video done in Bart’s voice but are the other cast members also evangelical cultists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I wonder what sort of horrible jokes and plots the Simpsons would have in the 90's if it was the same tone & quality it is now

what garbage one-note celebrities would have entire episodes built around them? what poorly executed 5-years-too-late movie parodies would we see? what sort of extremely bad "mapple" type brands would we get?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

brugroffil posted:

I wonder what sort of horrible jokes and plots the Simpsons would have in the 90's if it was the same tone & quality it is now

what garbage one-note celebrities would have entire episodes built around them? what poorly executed 5-years-too-late movie parodies would we see? what sort of extremely bad "mapple" type brands would we get?

Brittney Spears would have been one of them for sure

Joe Pesci too

And they’d end 1999 with a Jurassic Park episode

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Bicrosoft and Bindows 95

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

porfiria posted:

I'm half convinced the whole Nielsen system doesn't really work and no one is watching.

I'd be curious as to what the main demo is--is it older millenials and younger gen xers who grew up with it? I can't imagine kids/teens finding it appealing (plus they don't watch tv).

Rush Limbaugh lost a ton of money like 5-10 years ago because someone developed a technology that would actually listen to what the ratings families were listening to on the radio instead of relying on listener diaries.

Turned out most of the people filling out diaries were full of poo poo.

I don't know if this technology has been developed for TV, but I'm sure it would be the same story.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'd be shocked if IPTV / Cable boxes didnt collect this somehow.

90s Simpsons with today's quality eh?

SIMPSOMS Season 5 Episode 3:
The Simpsoms decide to get on the Information Superhighway! While at Stereo Shack, Homer buys a subscription to Springfield On-Hold, the hot new internet service. Their state of the art computer is delivered by Joey Buttafuoco for some reason. Bart becomes a hot shot internet gambler, Lisa and Homer sink into conspiracy theories, and marge finds her nights taken over by online chats with her hobby group, Knitters With Attitude. Bart mortgages the computer to pay for his losses. The end.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

Rush Limbaugh lost a ton of money like 5-10 years ago because someone developed a technology that would actually listen to what the ratings families were listening to on the radio instead of relying on listener diaries.

Turned out most of the people filling out diaries were full of poo poo.

I don't know if this technology has been developed for TV, but I'm sure it would be the same story.

Yeah it was, at least in Canada. My family actually did the whole rating thing for a while, they gave us a little pager looking thing that would listen for high frequency program identifiers from tv and radio

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think it's almost a guarantee that modern cable boxes send data about what you watch.

I know a couple that claim they still watch and like The Simpsons, but what that really means is they put it on and stare at their phones the entire time. The same way they watch everything else. So that's who "watches" it - people with severe ADHD that just need something happening on the screen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My Linux Rig posted:

And they’d end 1999 with a Jurassic Park episode

They kinda did that though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jurassic Park was 1993, and Itchy and Scratchy Land was 1994, the reference was definitely timely in this example

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I pay for cable and I watch new Simpsons, AMA.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

Why?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cyril Sneer posted:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My household just kicked cable out the window less than a week ago, meaning I no longer have access to the FXNOW rand(every_simpsons_ever) feed

I don't know how I will survive

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

My household just kicked cable out the window less than a week ago, meaning I no longer have access to the FXNOW rand(every_simpsons_ever) feed

https://www.amazon.com/Simpsons-Complete-First-Season/dp/B00005ML6Y

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

None of the streaming services' own shows interest me / I'm not into the binge watching thing
Choice paralysis: the effort of finding something and picking it makes it feel like I'm obligated to watch it. I like TV I don't have to invest anything into.
I like reality shows.
I like documentaries, true crime, news investigation type shows. cable is still better for this.

Re: new Simpsons....yes, it sucks. But there's nothing much else on at 8:00 so I just flip it on as background noise.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cyril Sneer posted:

None of the streaming services' own shows interest me / I'm not into the binge watching thing
Choice paralysis: the effort of finding something and picking it makes it feel like I'm obligated to watch it. I like TV I don't have to invest anything into.
I like reality shows.
I like documentaries, true crime, news investigation type shows. cable is still better for this.

Re: new Simpsons....yes, it sucks. But there's nothing much else on at 8:00 so I just flip it on as background noise.

If you have an antenna you likely get a MeTV subchannel, Columbo is on at 8:00 on Sundays

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Data Graham posted:

There’s a website run by a guy named arconai that just streams the Simpsons all day, one channel for 1-13 one for 13+, I dunno if I can link it directly but I bet you can find it by googling it

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

The Simpsoms decide to get on the Information Superhighway! While at Stereo Shack, Homer buys a subscription to Springfield On-Hold, the hot new internet service. Their state of the art computer is delivered by Joey Buttafuoco for some reason. Bart becomes a hot shot internet gambler, Lisa and Homer sink into conspiracy theories, and marge finds her nights taken over by online chats with her hobby group, Knitters With Attitude. Bart mortgages the computer to pay for his losses. The end.

This... Doesn't sound terrible? Congrats?

It actually has an ending that ties the A,B, and C stories together and has the family acting in character/realistic ways, so there's no way this would be considered season 30 quality.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cowcaster posted:

well the one guy who clearly and obviously meant scheduled television with ad breaks by saying "broadcast television" and the one guy revealing he's still using a radio antenna in the year of our lord 2019 while claiming cable's a scam like a loving octogenarian despite apparently not even being 40 years old yet is definitely going to the top of the list of the strangest things i've read today

Antennas are pretty popular again once people realized you can get free HD quality feeds from them. I have one too.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

so does my dad

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SeANMcBAY posted:

Antennas are pretty popular again once people realized you can get free HD quality feeds from them. I have one too.

Antennae rule! I live in an area that is technically in two markets (Cincinnati and Dayton), and I get all the channels from both markets. With some tweaking and tropospheric propagation I managed to get Columbus stations one day.

If I had cable, I'd be restricted to Cincinnati stations only.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

pooch516 posted:

It actually has an ending that ties the A,B, and C stories together and has the family acting in character/realistic ways, so there's no way this would be considered season 30 quality.

Are they at loving season 30 now

Please just stop

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

HOLY

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0sPDlXLVgg

HOLY gently caress

JESUS

roffels posted:

It's not even the first time they spoofed that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjaS0PjkWiA

I haven't seen any new Simpsons, and loving YIKES. Listening to those back to back loving jeezum, retire already.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FilthyImp posted:

Knitters With Attitude

loving lmao

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

Antennae rule! I live in an area that is technically in two markets (Cincinnati and Dayton), and I get all the channels from both markets. With some tweaking and tropospheric propagation I managed to get Columbus stations one day.

If I had cable, I'd be restricted to Cincinnati stations only.

what do you do for internet

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

what do you do for internet

Very carefully

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The weird thing is the second AitF spoof is completely unnecessary -- the modern audience wouldn't be as acquainted with she show as the early 90s audience. What a weird choice.

pooch516 posted:

gently caress. Let me try again. I know I can be lovely!

SIMSONS S5e13

Bart becomes the posterboy of a generation when he perfects GRANGE, a gen x music style based on farming and apathy. Jealous Lisa leads a counterrevolution when she and Milhouse popularize their nerd-based rock outfit, Nerdwanna. Act 2 opener features a medley of faux grunge songs with guest stars Flea, RHCP, Soundgarden and Elton John. Meanwhile, Homer and Smithers are trapped in the nuclear power plant after the SouthBridge Earthshake leaves Springfield in ruins. At the school fair, Nelson hits Lisa in the kneecap, ensuring that Bart wins the talent competition. Bart and Nelson flee in a White Ford Taurus.
With additional guest appearances by Nelson Mandela and Pope John Paul II.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 30, 2019

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Cyril Sneer posted:

I like reality shows.

You could just not watch TV. Have you considered that?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FilthyImp posted:

Knitters with Attitude doesn't belong in the "bad retro simpsons" category.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah I think it's almost a guarantee that modern cable boxes send data about what you watch.

I know a couple that claim they still watch and like The Simpsons, but what that really means is they put it on and stare at their phones the entire time. The same way they watch everything else. So that's who "watches" it - people with severe ADHD that just need something happening on the screen.

Yo

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

You could just not watch TV. Have you considered that?

Never. I pregame to LivePD.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Slightly Absurd posted:

That "Those were the Days" clip is also sad, 'cause you know if it were old Simpsons, the animators would've had a blast doing Homer making the modem sound, but instead we got that sad lazy garbage

Yeah but then the old writers wouldn't have put something as stupid as HOMER MAKE FUNNY NOISE!!!! in the script.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m watching one where they bring back Maude by going back in time two years to when Bart and Lisa were 8 and 6 and its kind of loving me up thinking about how like 20’years ago they killed Maude but brought her back to be alive 2 years ago or something

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

The most hosed up thing about the Simpsons is that you can only watch the MOST RECENT season on basic Hulu. Hulu would be worth it for S1-11 alone.

I can watch any Simpsons episode back to S01E01. Not sure if that is because I'm Uncle Moneybags here and I spring for Hulu+ w/Live or what.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

jesus please kill the simpsons amen

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Frog Act posted:

I’m watching one where they bring back Maude by going back in time two years to when Bart and Lisa were 8 and 6 and its kind of loving me up thinking about how like 20’years ago they killed Maude but brought her back to be alive 2 years ago or something

Who voiced her?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Who voiced her?

Maggie Roswell voices her again. She was only off the show for like a year or two, making it even more pointless that they killed Maude off.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Who voiced her?

Maggie Roswell, she came back in 2002 after they reached a pay deal.

Edit: Beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

The weird thing is the second AitF spoof is completely unnecessary -- the modern audience wouldn't be as acquainted with she show as the early 90s audience. What a weird choice.

I'm convinced they did it not to actually reference AitF, but instead to reference the Simpsons referencing AitF back in the 90s. New Simpsons seems to reference golden era seasons fairly often, and I suspect this is just more of that. They aren't even trying to target nostalgia for AitF, they're just targeting Simpsons nostalgia.