Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the only thing worse than having a job is not having a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FMguru posted:

and, for my sins, they gave me one

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

FMguru posted:

What about death, I heard it's good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Double Bill posted:

hell yeah

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Double Bill posted:

Hell yeah work sucks

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

FMguru posted:

I mean not having a job would be great if you still get the money

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FMguru posted:

ended up quitting mine today

overall it was the best thing i could do, i simply ran out of time

it's for the best in the long run but in the short run i'm scared completely to death already

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

it's for the best in the long run but in the short run i'm scared completely to death already

Good luck friend I believe in you

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

apply to bay area and nyc and austin jobs

if you applied with your latest resume, i highly suspect your app -> phone screen rate would go to like 10, 15, 20%

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ciaphas posted:

Good job and good luck!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

good luck dude

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

goonspeed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

thanks, y'all :shobon: it's kinda saccharine for a fyadlite, but i genuinely appreciate the support and well wishes

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

apply to bay area and nyc and austin jobs

if you applied with your latest resume, i highly suspect your app -> phone screen rate would go to like 10, 15, 20%

If you're open to moving Seattle obviously deserves to be on that list, our housing market even finally flattened out a bit so its semi-pretend-affordable now.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

good luck my dude :shobon:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I have a phone call with an AWS recruiter in about 30 minutes, apparently he's got a few potential teams that could be interesting for me so we'll see how that goes. I'm also gonna hit up a Twitter recruiter I had been working with a few months ago before I took a different awful job.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah Seattle is full of jobs but lol at the affordability of housing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ADINSX posted:

If you're open to moving Seattle obviously deserves to be on that list, our housing market even finally flattened out a bit so its semi-pretend-affordable now.

oh yeah, seattle too

if your job pays 10^6.5 dollars, then you can live in whatever housing market and eke out a living with the remaining 150 grand or whatever

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah Seattle is full of jobs but lol at the affordability of housing

Its not getting any better, its just getting worse more slowly in the last year or so. A lot more inventory has hit the market and things aren't getting bid up like they did before, but prices are still high.

There are some good spots to live outside the city though. The bainsbridge/bremmerton ferry drops you off downtown, so its great if you work downtown. Plenty of people live south of the city too and take various trains in, most companies are smart enough to be flexible with working hours to allow people to catch the train they need, etc.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Seattle is poised to finally sell some condos again after several years of 0 being constructed despite our continued population growth. Soon I'll be able to buy a studio apartment for the low low price of $400,000

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
lol.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ADINSX posted:

I have a phone call with an AWS recruiter in about 30 minutes, apparently he's got a few potential teams that could be interesting for me so we'll see how that goes. I'm also gonna hit up a Twitter recruiter I had been working with a few months ago before I took a different awful job.

FYI when I did an online assessment for an AWS role like 8 months ago, it was a 2 hour one where you had to do a lot of string manipulation and ordering of lines on multiple predicates in a log file. Yours might be different, but I choked on it and failed. So just make sure you have at least that in the bag in your language of choice before you start the timer.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

qhat posted:

FYI when I did an online assessment for an AWS role like 8 months ago, it was a 2 hour one where you had to do a lot of string manipulation and ordering of lines on multiple predicates in a log file. Yours might be different, but I choked on it and failed. So just make sure you have at least that in the bag in your language of choice before you start the timer.

Just got off the phone, it was just the recruiter touching base and explaining next steps. He's going to get my profile in front of a few different teams, and I'll be talking to someone from the Kinesis team tomorrow (informally, just an information gathering thing). They've decided to forgo an online assessment (the 2 hour test thing, they initially said I had to do it) and just jump straight to the phone screen. I told them I was available all next week to give myself time to do some hacker ranks and review and stuff...

So far the recruiters have been extremely polite and professional, and seem genuinely interested in my background. I realize that's their job, but when you've got some random Google recruiter literally sending applications for tech support roles, its very appreciated.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

oh yeah, seattle too

if your job pays 10^6.5 dollars, then you can live in whatever housing market and eke out a living with the remaining 150 grand or whatever

yeah 7.5 figgies is p deece

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
goddamn it i can't math

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
There is no housing market that is out of reach for a yosposting computer programmer to rent in. Yes it’s expensive there, but salaries are also higher. No you don’t need to be making 200k+. You can make 120k and eat out for every single meal and still come out ahead. Just don’t calibrate your housing expectations on what a 120k salary would buy you in Ohio.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quite frankly long as the place has a kitchen with more than 1 sqft of work area, bathroom, and a place for computertron, I'm not terribly fussed :v:

did hear back today that i've almost-surely got an interview at Konami in a couple weeks, so that's heartening, even if it's a local (Vegas) job

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 29, 2019

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Ciaphas posted:

quite frankly long as the place has a kitchen with more than 1 sqft of work area, bathroom, and a place for computertron, I'm not terribly fussed :v:

this is the correct attitude to have and you will go far with this. but there are so many people who move to an expensive city from parts of america where the ethos is "only losers rent". as a computer toucher in the sf bay area or new york or seattle, you will be renting, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this! and consider, even if you had a million cash in the bank, would you want to risk that much of your money on a house with obviously much lower intrinsic value, where the price is driven more by high-level factors outside your control (real estate bubble, foreign investment, local governments run by nimbys, etc) than any kind of market fundamentals? like polo, it's a game for much richer people than you. just pay the rent, save your money, stay out of the rat race, invest in other diversified assets. then you can complain about the cost of living with everyone else while knowing that ultimately you are just fine

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm happy not being a mortgage toucher at this point in time. Rent here in Vancouver is not bad compared to other places, especially if you're willing to share a house/appt with randos. My rent comes out to less than 10k cad annually and obviously I don't pay property tax or maintenance, so it's no big deal.

qhat fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 30, 2019

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I miss owning my house with a 500 buck a month mortgage. renting leads to dealing with more bullshit and it sucks.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Throwing this out there again- DataRobot with locations in Boston, Colorado, Ukraine, Singapore, and Ohio is hiring.

PM me and send a resume my way- we need a lot of developers of all stripes.

Like, seriously, a lot.

We just made a killer D round and need frontend, devop, and backend engineers.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Uh, oh yeah, the product is a data science suite of tools / auto ml platform. It's boss as gently caress.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jit bull transpile posted:

I miss owning my house with a 500 buck a month mortgage. renting leads to dealing with more bullshit and it sucks.

Renting involves a different set of bullshit, not a greater or smaller set

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Renting involves a different set of bullshit, not a greater or smaller set

renting

pros:
  • don't gotta fix nothing
  • no mortgage

cons:
  • can't remodel
  • landlords are bitches

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
All non-essential state buildings closed to the public tomorrow due to the cold weather, which means I'll be staying home. Guess I will try to grind leetcode? I hit 50 and stopped doing them due to being really lovely at them.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

renting

pros:
  • don't gotta fix nothing
  • no mortgage

cons:
  • can't remodel
  • landlords are bitches

You can also pack your bags and leave whenever poo poo hits the fan.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it’s a kind of low rate bummer that any home improvements you’d make for a place you rent are eventually not gonna be yours, and if your landlord decides that their elderly parent gets the apartment they can kick you out and refuse to renew the lease.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cons:
  • landlords are bitches

the importance of this really cannot be overstated. gently caress renting forever

yes, it very often makes better financial sense to rent. on the other hand, I would (and have!) spend a substantial amount of money to never have to deal with a landlord again, they are all parasitic waspfuckers

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Arcsech posted:

the importance of this really cannot be overstated. gently caress renting forever

yes, it very often makes better financial sense to rent. on the other hand, I would (and have!) spend a substantial amount of money to never have to deal with a landlord again, they are all parasitic waspfuckers

soulless property management company ftw, imo

soullessness in housing very underrated in every way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

so far the random greek dudes I rented from in nyc always honored their word and never hosed with my (giant) security deposit, and the faceless management corps will use any excuse to levy fees and take your deposit

its a dice game. I cant wait to buy and be one of the "house guys" who is always complaining about the contractor who's building their deck and how the water heater just blew up