Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I came in this thread looking for Dino's vegan cookbook and now my mouth is watering. Ugly or not, it looks delicious!

Edit: Actually, does anyone have a recommendation for a vegan recipe book please? It's a Christmas present for someone who already has and uses the Thug Kitchen one.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If they’re into it, Miyoko Schinner does a Japanese one with really accessible recipes. That Vegan Rich’s book is a solid one too.

Every recipe I’ve made from Joy’s book has been solid: https://secure.pmpress.org/index.php?l=product_detail&p=236

Also PM press is having 50% off with coupon code gift for the Xmas season. When you get any book direct from them, they throw in the ebook for free with no drm. Also my book is on PM as well.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Lady Demelza posted:

I came in this thread looking for Dino's vegan cookbook and now my mouth is watering. Ugly or not, it looks delicious!

Edit: Actually, does anyone have a recommendation for a vegan recipe book please? It's a Christmas present for someone who already has and uses the Thug Kitchen one.

The Mississippi Vegan book is fantastic and will fit in nicely with Thug Kitchen's stuff.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Lady Demelza posted:

I recommend Isa Does It and Superfun Times both by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. My wife (who is technically vegetarian but doesn't use cheese or eggs) uses both of them regularly and even I (an omnivore) like quite a few of the dishes. Plus she's a way better author than the Thug Kitchen writers.

Actually, ANY of her books are great, but you might not get the best response from giving Appetite for Reduction as a gift.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The OP has some of my favorite cookbooks listed (and I added a new Ethiopian one).

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Not to be funny, but I feel like Appetite for Reduction is her best work. It has recipes in that people love, which are pretty straightforward to make, and I’ve met omnis who bought it based solely on the premise, and loved the food.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

dino. posted:

Not to be funny, but I feel like Appetite for Reduction is her best work. It has recipes in that people love, which are pretty straightforward to make, and I’ve met omnis who bought it based solely on the premise, and loved the food.

Oh, it's definitely awesome and I love a lot of the meals my wife's made from it but Lady Demelza was asking for a Christmas gift and I was just saying it might be taken wrong to give a "diet" cookbook to someone. Depends who the giftee is, though.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I'll nth Moskowitz's cookbooks. When I went vegan they were the ones that really helped me figure out how to do meals not based entirely around meat, and her seasoning/spice recommendations are an excellent match to my preferences. Although I do tend to double anything that's supposed to be spicy-hot (peppers & such).

Appetite for Reduction is good, so is Vegan With a Vengance.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Magnus Praeda posted:

Oh, it's definitely awesome and I love a lot of the meals my wife's made from it but Lady Demelza was asking for a Christmas gift and I was just saying it might be taken wrong to give a "diet" cookbook to someone. Depends who the giftee is, though.

I made this exact mistake once.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

You guys ever tried something from this guy's channel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjGmv4knKjc

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Does anyone have any ideas for a dip or spread to go with sourdough bread, that I can make a day ahead and will do fine sitting out at a party? Fallback is some kind of flavored hummus I guess.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

snyprmag posted:

Does anyone have any ideas for a dip or spread to go with sourdough bread, that I can make a day ahead and will do fine sitting out at a party? Fallback is some kind of flavored hummus I guess.

White bean dip. Puree some white beans with olive oil and anything you want to put in there, garlic, roasted red peppers, herbs, lemon juice, pickled cherry peppers, sun dried tomatoes, toasted nuts, etc.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 18, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

snyprmag posted:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/eggplant-relish

http://thegreekvegan.com/fava-bean-spread/

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/174579/white-bean-dip-with-pine-nuts/

http://thegreekvegan.com/olive-spread-pasta-elias-π&%23940;&%23963;&%23964;&%23945;-&%23949;&%23955;&%23953;&%23940;&%23962;/

https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/ajvar/

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/bazha-georgian-walnut-sauce-2695

http://www.letitbecosy.com/blog/2015/10/12/walnut-sun-dried-tomato-pate

https://www.pccmarkets.com/recipe/carrot-almond-pate/

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roasted-red-pepper-almond-and-garlic-dip

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/spicy-tomato-pepper-dip

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Tapenade is a classic party spread that I think most people enjoy.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Lord Stimperor posted:

You guys ever tried something from this guy's channel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjGmv4knKjc

Gaz makes great stuff and his cookbook is pretty good too. also hot for food's cookbook is incredible.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Went around to my folks place for dinner and mum's latest googlin' attempt to find something found something very odd and very tasty which was great because it's definitely not something I would have either found or tried otherwise. Definitely gonna make this satay... salad... noodle dish.... coleslaw? I dunno, it's fucken weird and delicious:

Peanut Slaw with Soba Noodles

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Found a giant clump of oyster mushrooms at the store and figured I’d give vegan “pulled pork” a try.

God dammit I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. Was too excited to eat.

Anyway I sautéd all the pulled mushroom in a little canola oil on medium heat. Halfway through I added a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. When it was almost done I turned the temp down to low and poured in a little bbq sauce and let simmer a couple minutes.

Final product was extremely tasty! Will be keeping my eyes peeled for more gigantic mushroom clumps at the store.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Cool, I've only had similar dish with jackfruit which I also always put in chili. Next time I might use those mushrooms instead in chili. Should be good.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Very belated thanks to everyone who made recommendations - I ended up getting a couple and they seem to have been appreciated, as veganuary has been declared a success.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
These came out looking more presentable than what I often make. Photography skills need some work though.

Asparagus, minted pea and caramelized red onion tart from Aine Carlin's Keep it Vegan book. And a quick and dirty pearl barley salad with some store bought roasted peppers and olives which is sort of a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe but not quite.

Got the Carlin cookbook as a present and it's a pretty good day-to-day recipes book with a few 'weekend' dishes for when you've got time to splash out. This is actually super-easy for how good it comes out and despite thinking it might be clash of flavours, it tastes amazing.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Vegan breakfast scramble. Just had a bunch of leftover veggies and tofu. Nutritional yeast makes it.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Any ideas for recipes that don't require chewing? Due to a dental problem I can't chew for the foreseeable future. Obviously soup, but with the exception of any crazy nice recipes you can give me, you can probably imagine that I've had my share of soup over the last week, hence why I come here with this problem now.

Tonight I'll be making another version of this recipe: https://www.veganricha.com/2015/10/sabut-masoor-ki-daal-lentil-soup.html (although it's also Vegan Richa it's from her book and seems to be slightly different). On that note, I got given the book, Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen last Christmas and it's now barely useable as a result of such heavy use/consequence spatter. I've never had such a high success ratio, every thing in there is great.

In summary, please help my soup-tired stomach forgive my incredibly painful mouth!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Indian is a good place to start.

I don’t know how much you can use your mouth, but would soft tofu and potatoes boiled very soft be an option?

On of the simplest Indian dishes I do is just sautéed onions, cubed tofu, cubed potatoes, tomato sauce, coconut milk, curry paste, and cilantro.

Almost no mouth work.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Indian is a good place to start.

I don’t know how much you can use your mouth, but would soft tofu and potatoes boiled very soft be an option?

On of the simplest Indian dishes I do is just sautéed onions, cubed tofu, cubed potatoes, tomato sauce, coconut milk, curry paste, and cilantro.

Almost no mouth work.

I'd second the Indian recommendation. There are a variety of dishes that are basically just rice soaked in lentils. Growing up my mom would make Khichdi for situations like that.

Besides that you have the usual i.e. smoothies and pudding. Depending on how much you can actually chew stuff like pasta and maybe some hispanic food?

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 7, 2019

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How about refried beans? You can make them fairly thin consistency and mash them well. Polenta may me soft enough to be no-chew as well (potentially needs longer cooking and/or more liquid), and that would give you the complete protein along with beans.

Smoothies are also an obvious option. I like to use frozen banana as a base (slice into ~1 cm thickness, then freeze). Use some kind of plant milk and/or tofu for the liquid and another frozen fruit as an accent. For one banana, I use about 1 cup of liquid (milk/tofu), and non-banana fruit to taste (blueberry is good).

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've always appreciated the mushiness of many Indian dishes, and never moreso than now! Might have to get some brown rice in the house again so I can make dino's delicious pongal recipe.

Refried beans is definitely a great shout too, I'll give that a go! What is a good go-to recipe? I've made them before but they're not such a big thing here (UK).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

crazyvanman posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've always appreciated the mushiness of many Indian dishes, and never moreso than now! Might have to get some brown rice in the house again so I can make dino's delicious pongal recipe.

Refried beans is definitely a great shout too, I'll give that a go! What is a good go-to recipe? I've made them before but they're not such a big thing here (UK).

I usually make mine with vegetable shortening; most recipes will call for lard but it's totally ok to substitute the fat. For the process and proportions, the recipe from foodwishes is about what I do (except I don't add onion/chiles) https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017/02/refried-beans-cooked-well-not-twice.html again just ignore whatever he says about lard or whatever. I use a little less fat, but that's up to you.

The keys are to use the bean cooking liquid to adjust the consistency, and to add enough salt in the end to make it taste good. As he says, insufficiently salted refried beans don't taste good at all. I'd aim on the more liquid side, they'll thicken as they cool.

Pinto beans are the typical variety used. Black beans are also occasionally used. Mayacoba a.k.a. Peruano beans are also used for refried beans often but may be hard to find in the UK.

Edit: Pinto beans will have the distinct pinto bean flavor. Quite meaty and maybe a little smoky. Black beans will have the distinct flavor from the black pigment, the slightly bitter, earthy, and savory flavor. Peruanos in my experience have a little less flavor than pintos but are slightly sweet and creamy.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 7, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Ethiopian food (see also this cookbook) has a lot of dishes that don't require chewing. There are some good Georgian recipes that fit the bill. Sri Lanka has many good options - see for instance here, here, and here.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Take any refried beans recipe, use black beans instead and toast a tablespoon of cumin seeds to the oil before you cook it all up.

That's my secret, thanks for listening.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I really like this recipe, because it includes a Chipotle for smokiness.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/spicy-vegan-refried-beans.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I’ve been making the following “recipe” for my lunches for the week. It’s sort of a stew, and it makes a poo poo-ton of food but I’ve really been enjoying it so I thought I’d share.

2 lbs frozen broccoli
1 lb dry great northern beans
1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
2 lbs frozen corn
2 large white onions, chopped
Sun-dried tomatoes, about 1.5 cups diced
Garlic
1 lb mushrooms, sliced

Pressure cook the beans until done and set aside.

Purée the canned tomatoes until smooth.

Roast the broccoli until slightly charred and set aside.

In a large pot, sauté onion in olive oil until slightly softened. Add garlic, cook for a minute, and add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms have given up their water and it’s mostly evaporated. Add beans, puréed tomatoes, corn, and sun-dried tomatoes and heat through. At this point the pot I use is pretty full so I transfer to a huge mixing bowl and combine with the broccoli.

Obviously season to taste and use whatever herbs you’d enjoy in this. I’ve toyed with seasoning using soy sauce and it’s pretty good. I also usually add about five or six diced habaneros with seeds because I love it spicy. I add the peppers when I add the garlic, but be careful you don’t gas yourself with the fumes they release.

Anyway, it’s vegan, extremely hearty, filling, not at all appetizing-looking, and delicious! If you try something like this and it sucks, it’s not my fault.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

The Midniter posted:

I’ve been making the following “recipe” for my lunches for the week. It’s sort of a stew, and it makes a poo poo-ton of food but I’ve really been enjoying it so I thought I’d share.

2 lbs frozen broccoli
1 lb dry great northern beans
1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
2 lbs frozen corn
2 large white onions, chopped
Sun-dried tomatoes, about 1.5 cups diced
Garlic
1 lb mushrooms, sliced

Pressure cook the beans until done and set aside.

Purée the canned tomatoes until smooth.

Roast the broccoli until slightly charred and set aside.

In a large pot, sauté onion in olive oil until slightly softened. Add garlic, cook for a minute, and add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms have given up their water and it’s mostly evaporated. Add beans, puréed tomatoes, corn, and sun-dried tomatoes and heat through. At this point the pot I use is pretty full so I transfer to a huge mixing bowl and combine with the broccoli.

Obviously season to taste and use whatever herbs you’d enjoy in this. I’ve toyed with seasoning using soy sauce and it’s pretty good. I also usually add about five or six diced habaneros with seeds because I love it spicy. I add the peppers when I add the garlic, but be careful you don’t gas yourself with the fumes they release.

Anyway, it’s vegan, extremely hearty, filling, not at all appetizing-looking, and delicious! If you try something like this and it sucks, it’s not my fault.

Hey I do basically something like that for my lunches too :)

Mine is basically:

Ingredients
2 lbs tofu
5 potatoes
5-6 carrots
2-3 sweet potatoes
2 onions
half a head of cabbage
a lot of brocolli
a lot of mushrooms
a couple green/red peppers
a big bouquet of kale
a pound of pasta
whatever other vegetable is on sale

Steps
Boil the potatoes, steam the sweet potatoes

Add one by one to a wok (letting time to cook between) : onions, tofu, carrots, cabbage, brocoli, peppers, mushrooms, kale

Boil the pasta

Combine everything in the largest pot you can find (you need a HUGE pot) and add a shitload of soy sauce, sriracha and peanut butter

I get like 2 week's worth of lunches for ~2 hours of work.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Nice one, these are yet more great ideas. Tonight I had Kitchari, which hit the spot nicely.

I have never made anything from either Sri Lankan, Georgian or Ethiopian cuisine, but all those links make me want to start right away. Thanks everyone! Think I'm going to start with Ajapsandali, and will stick on some Orthodox chants for good measure.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Colonel J posted:

Hey I do basically something like that for my lunches too :)

Mine is basically:

Ingredients
2 lbs tofu
5 potatoes
5-6 carrots
2-3 sweet potatoes
2 onions
half a head of cabbage
a lot of brocolli
a lot of mushrooms
a couple green/red peppers
a big bouquet of kale
a pound of pasta
whatever other vegetable is on sale

Steps
Boil the potatoes, steam the sweet potatoes

Add one by one to a wok (letting time to cook between) : onions, tofu, carrots, cabbage, brocoli, peppers, mushrooms, kale

Boil the pasta

Combine everything in the largest pot you can find (you need a HUGE pot) and add a shitload of soy sauce, sriracha and peanut butter

I get like 2 week's worth of lunches for ~2 hours of work.

That sounds pretty great. Gonna make it.

Maybe swap out the pasta for beans.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
One of my favourite dishes for my wife and I, especially if friends or family come over and they're not vegan is this portebello "steak" fajita dish from a cookbook called oh she glows

Portobello Steaks:

4 to 6 large portobello mushrooms
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
black pepper

Stir- Fry:

1 tablespoons grapessed oil, olive oil, or coconut oil
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 large orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced

To assemble:

4 to 6 tortillas
Sliced avocado
Salsa
Hot sauce
Cilantro
Shredded lettuce

Remove the stems from the portobello mushrooms and discard. With a small spoon, scrape out and discard the inside black gills from the mushroom caps. Remove debris from the mushrooms and slice them into long, 1/2 inch, strips.

In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add the sliced mushrooms and toss well to coat. Let the mushrooms marinate for 20 to 30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bell peppers and onion and sauté over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.

Preheat a grill pan over medium or high heat. Lay the marinate mushrooms on the pan and grill them for 3 to 5 minutes per side.

To assemble, place a tortilla on a plate and top with some of the grilled portobello strips, sautéed vegetables, and your desired toppings.

Actually the book has a lot of good recipes.

I think most people who don't get exposed to vegan dishes think everything is bland and gross, but really you just need to find what works for you. My wife loves dishes like bhudda bowls which I really dislike sweet potatoes, but there are a lot of awesome dishes I do enjoy.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

That sounds pretty great. Gonna make it.

Maybe swap out the pasta for beans.

Beware, you have to be well organized. I'm finding new ways to optimize the process each time, it's a bit of a pain.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Any advice for dining vegan in Madrid?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is there such a thing as specifically vegan cookware? Apparently my buddy, who works at a kitchen goods store, had someone ask for a vegan (and lactose-free) frying pan, and it was our consensus that the person was a kook because neither of us could figure out how any animal cruelty or milk would possibly be involved in making a cast iron pan in the first place, but I'm somewhat curious if that's an actual thing.

EDIT: Also apparently you should only drink water out of one certain sort of container, because the Russians said so. I have nothing against veganism in general, but is it as frustrating (or more frustrating) to vegans as it is to the rest of us vegans also get on board with a whole host of woo in addition to being vegan?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 3, 2019

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Maybe they have had food prepared for them by someone using their "vegan pan" meaning a separate pan that is never used for animal products to avoid cross-contamination and this person is confused?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When you cook with cast iron you're supposed to "season" it with oil first, basically just a thin coating so food doesn't stick and tastes good, some pans come pre-seasoned and while vegetable oil is the most common one used, people sometimes use animal fat when seasoning their own pan and it's not impossible some company might for their pre-seasoned ones.

No idea about the lactose.