Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Arbitrary Number posted:

hosed Out Of Existence By My Own Genus by Chuck Tingle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does he take requests?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does he take requests?

Yes, but only in the butt.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MariusLecter posted:

i say what what

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

MariusLecter posted:

I thought requests took him in the butt

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mark Carwardine got shagged by a rare :parrot: 10 years ago on the 15th.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Slippery posted:

I thought requests took him in the butt

Pounded In the Butt by a Reader's Request to Get Pounded in the Butt in a Book About my Handsome Doctor who is a Bicycle Shaped like a T-Rex in a Dress

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The wikipedia article on leaf insects/walking leaves had me briefly questioning my sanity when I read that they weren't found outside of Asia and Australia. I knew I'd seen them multiple times in... Missouri? Did I imagine that? Did I see them in a zoo at some point and construct a false memory? What the gently caress?

Yeah, what I saw were katydids—and despite looking like leaves, they're not "leaf insects." I didn't even know the word "katydid" referred to a specific family of insect—I thought it was a regional term for any kind of cricket/grasshopper.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Jan 30, 2019

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Rollersnake posted:

The wikipedia article on leaf insects/walking leaves had me briefly questioning my sanity when I read that they weren't found outside of Asia and Australia. I knew I'd seen them multiple times in... Missouri? Did I imagine that? Did I see them in a zoo at some point and construct a false memory? What the gently caress?

Yeah, what I saw were katydids—and despite looking like leaves, they're not "leaf insects." I didn't even know the word "katydid" referred to a specific family of insect—I thought it was a regional term for any kind of cricket/grasshopper.

The Leaf Insect article is peak Wiki-sperg - article titled after the scientific name rather than it's common name, a couple of vague paragraphs giving little info, a long list of sub-species that don't even have their own articles, and all the references are to academic papers hidden behind a paywall.

A good 50% of the insect articles are like that. There's a guy who adds dozens of articles per week that are just lists of moth species, or lists of lists of moth species. Want to know all the moth species sorted by county in rural Moldova? Well he's either written that list or is planning to.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
To be fair there's so many bug species in existence that we don't even have an educated guess as to the number. You can probably make an entire biology career just studying bugs in a single county.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Questionable entomology itt

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sweevo posted:

The Leaf Insect article is peak Wiki-sperg - article titled after the scientific name rather than it's common name, a couple of vague paragraphs giving little info, a long list of sub-species that don't even have their own articles, and all the references are to academic papers hidden behind a paywall.

A good 50% of the insect articles are like that. There's a guy who adds dozens of articles per week that are just lists of moth species, or lists of lists of moth species. Want to know all the moth species sorted by county in rural Moldova? Well he's either written that list or is planning to.

And we want to cure autism?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sweevo posted:

You know how it is with Wikipedia.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

bony tony posted:

Leaf Insects In Popular Culture...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The family Phylliidae (Japanese: コノハムシ科 Hepburn: Kono hamushika) contains the extant true leaf insects or walking leaves,

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bony tony posted:

No, I DON'T know how it is with Wikipedia! Why ain't you fuckin tell me how it is with Wikipedia, bony tony? Cause THAT'S neat!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm glad you got the reference. May I give you a commodore?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bony tony posted:

I'm glad you got the reference. May I give you a commodore?

If you give me a commodore, I am sure it would be the finest commodore ever received by any man.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To be fair there's so many bug species in existence that we don't even have an educated guess as to the number. You can probably make an entire biology career just studying bugs in a single county.

This problem is being solved as we speak though and soon we'll have a definitive answer on the number of bugs. It will be zero as we've destroyed the environment

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jobson groeth posted:

This problem is being solved as we speak though and soon we'll have a definitive answer on the number of bugs. It will be zero as we've destroyed the environment

Cockroaches are bugs and they'll be fine. :colbert:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Cockroaches are incredibly climate sensitive and would mostly die outside of the tropics without our nice warm damp buildings to live in.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Lack of warmth? Oh, I think they’ll be just fine

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pounded In the Butt by a Reader's Request to Get Pounded in the Butt in a Book About my Handsome Doctor who is a Bicycle Shaped like a T-Rex in a Dress

I just don't see how it's physically possible to pound out (lol) that much writing that quickly; I'm sure the quality is eehhh and like others have said the purchase is maybe ironic, but be that as it may he still has to string x words together

I bet he has a flowchart with major beats and a ton of stock paragraphs he can just swap in and out of the narrative with different positions, verbs etc

mlmp

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Slippery posted:

I just don't see how it's physically possible to pound out (lol) that much writing that quickly; I'm sure the quality is eehhh and like others have said the purchase is maybe ironic, but be that as it may he still has to string x words together

I bet he has a flowchart with major beats and a ton of stock paragraphs he can just swap in and out of the narrative with different positions, verbs etc

mlmp

If you're curious about the writing and don't want to spend even ironic money, you could check out the podcast. I think the secret is that the books are just very very short.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Organza Quiz posted:

If you're curious about the writing and don't want to spend even ironic money, you could check out the podcast. I think the secret is that the books are just very very short.

cool, thanks! honestly I had assumed the books were a couple hundred pages or whatever

Pounded in the butt by a novella I had originally assumed was a full fledged novel

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've never read one but I think somebody posted here at one point that they're all a typo-riddled mess that was obviously edited to make it even more nonsensical and weird but it works. They're all pretty short books but really, the titles and covers are hilarious so Chuck Tingle is bringing laughter an joy to a lot of people. The guy is a treasure.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Excuse me, that’s Hugo-nominated author Dr. Chuck Tingle to you pal

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

christmas boots posted:

Is Chuck Tingle the guy whose son posted on reddit or somewhere basically saying his dad is super autistic and writing the books is some sort of weird coping mechanism or some such?

I'm well aware I could be conflating this with any number of weird-rear end internet stories but I thought it was something like that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Someone came forward claiming to be his son, but AFAIK there wasn't much proof. He also claimed that he edited the books for publication which seriously undermines the claim imo.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You mean bats.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

christmas boots posted:

Two time Hugo nominee at that!

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Today I learned that chipotle are just dried jalapeño's

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
DC Comics’ name is derived from Detective Comics.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

jobson groeth posted:

Today I learned that chipotle are just dried jalapeño's

Same but with ancho and poblano

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

DC Comics’ name is derived from Detective Comics.

Shaking my SMDH head at this in IRL life.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It was only a year or so ago I figured out that when Marvel editors refer to the Distinguished Competition, they're not just being gracious in their word choice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phy posted:

It was only a year or so ago I figured out that when Marvel editors refer to the Distinguished Competition, they're not just being gracious in their word choice.

Back in the day they used to call it Brand Echh (after "Brand X")

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"Sit" is short for "Situate" as in telling someone to 'sit' is short for 'situate yourself'.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

MariusLecter posted:

"Sit" is short for "Situate" as in telling someone to 'sit' is short for 'situate yourself'.

Lol, I don't believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Someone came forward claiming to be his son, but AFAIK there wasn't much proof. He also claimed that he edited the books for publication which seriously undermines the claim imo.

Chuck Tingle says his son edits his books and handles the publishing side of it. Pretty sure he confirmed it on Twitter.