Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SteelReserve posted:

I just bought Dusk on Steam and was playing it for about an hour.

Easily one of the best "old school inspired" games I've played in a long time. Load time when first starting the game is pretty extreme, but after that it's pretty smooth.

Ion Maiden is cool, but it needs more polishing (it's still not officially released, though).

Ion Maiden just needs more content at this point. Look and feel is great as far as I’m concerned, but it’s been almost a year since the demo level and we now have a whooping two levels to play. Dusk is almost entirely made by one dude and went from a ten-level demo to a full game in about sixteen months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Comparing Ion Maiden to Dusk is super apples to oranges though. Like, Dusk has way lower fidelity/production values so it's easier to churn out levels that are supposed to look a little blocky and muddy because that's the art style. Ion Maiden has a TON of art assets and more polish to it so that kind of stuff can take time. This isn't a quality judgement or anything either, I'm just saying design choices in each game contribute to the cost in time and money to develop

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Convex posted:

RAGE is £1 at Fanatical if anyone doesn't have it.

Don't get ripped off, better off buying some candy.

Unless you love repeating the same uninspiring level, but in reverse for a mission.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Lambert posted:

Unless you love repeating the same uninspiring level, but in reverse for a mission.

:hai: get a king sized Butterfinger instead

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Glagha posted:

Comparing Ion Maiden to Dusk is super apples to oranges though. Like, Dusk has way lower fidelity/production values so it's easier to churn out levels that are supposed to look a little blocky and muddy because that's the art style. Ion Maiden has a TON of art assets and more polish to it so that kind of stuff can take time. This isn't a quality judgement or anything either, I'm just saying design choices in each game contribute to the cost in time and money to develop

That’s what I’m saying, it doesn’t need more polish, it’s already incredibly polished. What it needs is more stuff to actually play because at the moment it’s got like an hour of gameplay tops.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

Lambert posted:

RAGE felt more like a tech demo than an actual game.

I wanted to like it... but I couldn't. And even now, I can't justify spending one dollar on that game.

Dusk is much better.

edit: Dusk with an OBLIGE (Doom) type of level generator would be pretty cool. I also wanted to like Strafe, but it has so many problems.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah Strafe has some clearly fun gameplay at its base but really game gets in its way too much to really let them shine. With DUSK existing now there really isn’t a reason to get Strafe since DUSK does everything it set out to do but better

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

skasion posted:

That’s what I’m saying, it doesn’t need more polish, it’s already incredibly polished. What it needs is more stuff to actually play because at the moment it’s got like an hour of gameplay tops.

Well.... the levels you've played are polished, sure. But it seems as though the rest of the game would require that much polish applied to it all, and I'm betting there'll be new experiences that will require new art, maybe new functionality.

This is all coming from someone who hasn't played it at all (yet), so take that for what it's worth. I see what you were going for, though.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

In this, the fictional dramatized offices of id, two teams were formed to develop Rage. One world be responsible for the design, the other for the technology. The artists pumped out reams of post apocalyptic art, a barren dystopia by way of dust bowl era nightmare carnival. The programmers developed an engine iteration capable of staggering detail in environments of any size.

On the last day of development, John Carmack walked into an office full of proud smiles. Looking from face to face he asked, "Are you excited for the game's release?" Their smiles fell, their eyes widened.

Oh poo poo we forgot to make a game

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

As if Carmack would have ever asked anything like that. He'd head immediately to his office and duck into a pizza and a Diet Coke.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

Casimir Radon posted:

He'd head immediately to his office and duck into a pizza and a Diet Coke.

I could get RAGE for $1, or I could get a pizza and a Diet Coke for $20.

Decisions, decisions...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I thought the shooting bits in Rage were pretty fun :shrug:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Casimir Radon posted:

As if Carmack would have ever asked anything like that. He'd head immediately to his office and kill a cat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Ion Maiden update is now available on GOG and the 3D Realms storefront. Well, technically, it was made available yesterday, but they only just posted about it a couple of hours ago, so...

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Convex posted:

I thought the shooting bits in Rage were pretty fun :shrug:
Yeah I enjoyed it, although I did buy it for dirt cheap. The story is so void of any kind of substance that I just ignored it; I will agree with the common consensus that the ending was complete dog poo poo though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

code:

def acceptablehappiness (.53) :
     if cat >= acceptiblehappiness:
         "Cat lives"
          else:
               if cat < acceptiblehappiness:
                    "Cat goes down to China Town"
                         else:
                                 "Dominoes"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Casimir Radon posted:

code:
def acceptablehappiness (.53) :
     if cat >= acceptiblehappiness:
         "Cat lives"
          else:
               if cat < acceptiblehappiness:
                    "Cat goes down to China Town"
                         else:
                                 "Dominoes"

:chloe:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm not sure where the RAGE hate is coming from. It's a decent shooter with some fantastic weapons held back by a crappy engine and mediocre level design. But the sheer quality of the guns and gadgets and the combat feel is fantastic. Even the vehicle combat was awesome, it just didn't fit into the rest of the game.

vvv There's a big difference between dissatisfied and "wouldn't buy it for a single dollar". RAGE is flawed, but the idea that it's somehow not worth a buck is absolutely absurd.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 29, 2019

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm not sure where the RAGE hate is coming from. It's a decent shooter with some fantastic weapons held back by a crappy engine and mediocre level design. But the sheer quality of the guns and gadgets and the combat feel is fantastic. Even the vehicle combat was awesome, it just didn't fit into the rest of the game.

It is kinda weird when people say "such and such is great... BUT it has a crappy engine, mediocre level design, and various mechanics that just don't fit into the rest of the game."

Maybe what you are saying is why some of us were left dissatisfied with RAGE.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah, I assumed Rage was like Daikatana or DN Forever level bad based on what people said about it and was very surprised when I actually got around to playing it.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
uh rage runs on the same engine as wolf: tno.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jose Mengelez posted:

uh rage runs on the same engine as wolf: tno.

Wolf TNO used a later version of engine, and at the time of Rage's release it was still missing some polish- specifically, it had really bad pop-in. On PC this was due to bad defaults and could be improved with tweaks, on console you were stuck with it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, I assumed Rage was like Daikatana or DN Forever level bad based on what people said about it and was very surprised when I actually got around to playing it.

At least Daikatana and DN Forever have interesting/bizarre development histories. Rage is simply all around boring.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

Wolf TNO used a later version of engine, and at the time of Rage's release it was still missing some polish- specifically, it had really bad pop-in. On PC this was due to bad defaults and could be improved with tweaks, on console you were stuck with it.

wasn't the whole point of streaming megatextures to make higher res textures possible on console?

if so that's a lol.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Jose Mengelez posted:

wasn't the whole point of streaming megatextures to make higher res textures possible on console?

No. It was to allow for a much larger variety of texturing within the limited VRAM of systems at the time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was both- it was to free artists from the task of having to manage texture packs and asset collections and generally having to keep track of what's valid to use in what context and instead just let them draw whatever with the game engine sorting it out later.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 29, 2019

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Rocket Pan posted:

No. It was to allow for a much larger variety of texturing within the limited VRAM of systems at the time.

bah gawd, hamstrung again by the limitations of console hardware.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
The whole Painkiller series is $14 on Steam this week.

I only ever had occasional dalliances with Painkiller, so I had to read some webpages and watch some youtubes to get an idea of how the series had evolved, and apparently it didn't? It looks like the same game keep getting made every 2-4 years by different teams, usually on the same engine?

If foorteen bux seems like too much of an ask for a middling series, each individual game is discounted to about $3 so you can just get the good ones and remember to always check the wikis for fixies.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The first one, the Battle out of Hell follow-up (together they're the Black Edition), and the Hell & Damnation quasi-remixed updated version are worth it. Else, thar be dragons.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SteelReserve posted:

I could get RAGE for $1, or I could get a pizza and a Diet Coke for $20.

Decisions, decisions...

If you buy pizzas at full menu price, you have no business giving anybody advice about how to spend money.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Painkiller itself is fun. It's like basically Serious Sam gameplay where you have to shepherd horde enemies while clearing out stronger stragglers. It still looks really good in some spots, and the weapons are fun and feel good. The only cons I could give it are that the story is really bad with long cutscenes (that you can skip), secrets can be massive dicks to find, and the boss fights generally aren't that great. Battle Out of Hell's pretty good . It adds two cool weapons and has a handful of decent maps mixed in with a few mediocre maps.

Overdose is kind of terrible. The weapons range from feeling poor to playing poor, often chewing through ammo per-shot or per-second like crazy while ammo pickups are really stingy. Its levels are overly long, look really bad, and play poorly in a lot of cases. You'll constantly be taking damage from monsters that spawn on top of you. It's also got some of the most comically long loading times of any game no matter what hardware you play it on.

The rest are just bleh. They're either big open maps with nothing to really do and slow-spawning enemies, or rely on just insta-spawning two dozen enemies into a room and shutting the door behind you. I have trouble trying to keep them all straight in my head. Haven't played Hell and Damnation.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Copper Vein posted:

The whole Painkiller series is $14 on Steam this week.

I only ever had occasional dalliances with Painkiller, so I had to read some webpages and watch some youtubes to get an idea of how the series had evolved, and apparently it didn't? It looks like the same game keep getting made every 2-4 years by different teams, usually on the same engine?

If foorteen bux seems like too much of an ask for a middling series, each individual game is discounted to about $3 so you can just get the good ones and remember to always check the wikis for fixies.

Painkiller Black is the only one worth buying (Original game + first expansion). Because the license holders of the Painkiller name have very low standards, all the other stuff was made by different people who aren't very good at game design.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Plan Z posted:

Haven't played Hell and Damnation.

Painkiller HD (get it) is basically just Now That's What I Call Painkiller. It's a best-of compilation of Black's levels, with the enemy mix being remixed without regard for theme or setting. It's been a while since I've played it but I remember there being more arcade / challenge type content.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HolyKrap posted:

This feels like when physx was new in nvidia cards and the performance hit was massive in the few games that supported it. A framerate comparison video on youtube shows it's about a 40 fps difference with DXR on vs off in battlefield 5, sometimes as high as 60 . It looks really impressive, but to cut your fps in half for some fancy reflections is a little much

It was extremely cool in Borderlands 2, though arguably a net impediment to seeing loving anything or not feeling like you were on acid.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

Painkiller HD (get it) is basically just Now That's What I Call Painkiller. It's a best-of compilation of Black's levels, with the enemy mix being remixed without regard for theme or setting. It's been a while since I've played it but I remember there being more arcade / challenge type content.

It has duke nukem voice for some reason too.

ponzicar posted:

Painkiller Black is the only one worth buying (Original game + first expansion).

It's great but I haven't been able to get it to work right for years it always eventually starts crashing more and more the further I go through the game.
It looked really good when it came out but the engine just doesn't like newer systems. It's a more polished serious sam, more interesting levels/guns/enemies and some of the secrets are so well hidden that they deserve to be called secrets. (and you want those secrets if you want to use the powerup cards at all).

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 30, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Painkiller had a free demo that was basically my favorite level in the whole game. It's the village one where you get (or start out with) the stake shooter. It's like this miserable town that experimented with the wrong kind of magic and the whole place just got sucked into hell.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Finally beat REKKR, after a lot of short bursts over a long period of time. It's very well made but I don't like it much. It's difficulty is just overtuned, and I'm no Doom maestro, but still. Essentially, the enemies are all stronger than Doom's enemies and the weapons are all weaker than Doom's weapons. They're also not that satisfying to use either. On top of that, supplies are too scarce and some of the maps, while impressive, are too complex for their own good. A hell of an achievement, nonetheless, and I'm glad I played it, if only for posterity's sake.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah Strafe has some clearly fun gameplay at its base but really game gets in its way too much to really let them shine. With DUSK existing now there really isn’t a reason to get Strafe since DUSK does everything it set out to do but better

Honestly, besides the "TOTALLY RAD 199X SPINNING-GIF ACTION" marketing that STRAFE stupidly used to sell itself as a game it never was, STRAFE and DUSK have basically nothing to do with each other. So I couldn't even say that "DUSK does everything [STRAFE] set out to do but better" because STRAFE is a weird procedurally generated FPS roguelite with unlockable gameplay mutators and DUSK is a tightly-tuned hand-built love letter to Quake (and Quake mods). They play like two extremely different games.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Everyone who bought STRAFE hoping it would be a retro shooter was disappointed, and people who wanted it to be good at what it actually is were also disappointed. Major case of Dead Islanditis where the trailer is the only worthwhile part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Major case of Dead Islanditis where the trailer is the only worthwhile part of the game.

No one who played that in co-op would say that!

The millenium edition of STRAFE is good, just dumb shooting and hopping around.