Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Grover Cleveland raped a woman, got her pregnant, kidnapped the child (twice), and had that same woman forcibly thrown in an insane asylum.

Oh, and here's a cherry for that poo poo sundae: He also eventually married a woman he had raised since she was 11.

You know, in the grand history of post-Civil War American presidential elections, 1884's "vocal rapist and child abductor versus the most nakedly corrupt man in American history" is probably among the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That guy's jumped into my top five most hated people in politics list at the speed of light. I hope he gets heckled the way he has the last few days every single time he leaves his house.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OK so he's openly a Republican now

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I like how the problem is sick burns on twitter and not fox news/the president calling people traitors and enemies of the people.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Discovered rooting around in one of the old threads:

https://twitter.com/GrrrGraphics/status/850371340842409985

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The flaw in our brain that we perceive people close to us as being able to have different and moderate ideas but think people distant from us all have the same ones and turned up to 11 is probably the number one thing holding us back as a species.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Besesoth posted:

We can disagree! Just haven't yet...Once.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Does ignoring when you fail count as disagreeing?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

QuoProQuid posted:

You know, in the grand history of post-Civil War American presidential elections, 1884's "vocal rapist and child abductor versus the most nakedly corrupt man in American history" is probably among the worst

Blaine was “nakedly corrupt?” Quick googling says he was a “half-breed,” i.e., a reformer. What did he do that was so bad?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jurgan posted:

Blaine was “nakedly corrupt?” Quick googling says he was a “half-breed,” i.e., a reformer. What did he do that was so bad?

As Speaker of the House, Blaine got fabulously wealthy selling political favors to railroads, to help them secure land grants. He'd attempted to run for president twice before but had been rejected by his own party because of it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jurgan posted:

Also, the thread has the link back to the other post where the same guy screams that there are no Christians in the Middle East.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803673&pagenumber=319&perpage=40#post471266140

ahahahahahahahaa WOW

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jurgan posted:

He was a “reformer” in the sense that he wanted the civil service to be a professional bureaucracy rather than a spoils system where office holders could give jobs to supporters; but that didn’t mean he was against making as much money as he could while in office. He owned stocks in the railroads that he wrote legislation to grant land to, and was alleged to have received stock and bonds as bribes from railroads that wanted favorable legislation written. On some of the correspondence around these stock trades, he ended with the postscript “Burn this letter!” which did not seem like the thing a non-corrupt person would write.

To make it thread-relevant: here’s a cartoon from Puck, showing Blaine as “The Tattooed Man”. Every label on him is a reference to a kickback or bribe he was alleged to have received.

All of the other men in the room were notable Republicans who would make the decision at the 1884 Convention as to whether Blaine would be the party nominee. I only know three of them off hand- the one with the giant mustache is Senator “Black Jack” Logan, who would be Blaine’s running mate (and is one of the people mentioned by name in the Illinois State Song); below him with the beard is Senator Carl Schurz, a German emigrant who fought in the ‘48 uprising, fled to America and became one of the worst Generals the Union had; and the guy next to Schurz with the glasses in the middle determinedly staring at Blaine, who wasn’t very famous yet - It’s a young Teddy Roosevelt, then the Speaker of the New York State Assembly!

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 30, 2019

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Purgatory Glory posted:

We can disagree! Just haven't yet...Once.

He made a disapproving cartoon when Trump bombed Syria, although it blamed his decision on the "Deep State" if I remember - but he walked it back when his fans got mad at him for saying maybe Trump was mislead into possibly making a bad call.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think Garrison has only been critical of Trump when he does something hawkish. Any other bad Trump thing (from the perspective of conservatives, mind) is either the DeEp StAtE or 12th Dimension Chess.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

loquacius posted:

Now I'm not saying that Rall didn't suck, but

we're at a point now where we're calling a guy named Ted "Poop" as a burn

Can we officially declare the "get Ted Rall's name wrong" meme dead now or what

It will be dead the second I know Xed Xa'll isn't Googling his name every hour.

So...

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon: This is my first real natural disaster and it sucks

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Because nobody else picked the long hanging fruit.

edit: Teall Rad

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Besesoth posted:

Pants Donkey posted:

I think Garrison has only been critical of Trump when he does something hawkish. Any other bad Trump thing (from the perspective of conservatives, mind) is either the DeEp StAtE or 12th Dimension Chess.

So really that tweet is some kind of plea. Who Garrison can't disagree with isn't Daddy Trump, but his rabid fanbase who fellates his ego and fills his bank account. What Garrison is really trying to say is that, unlike those Obama lovers, it is possible for us to be critical of Trump without betraying MAGA (so please stop calling me a traitor for my lack of slavish devotion)

Probably giving him too much credit, but I like the idea of Garrison trying to reason with a sounder of chuds attacking him for failing to maga hard enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's important to remember Garrison's loyalty to Trump is almost entirely financially motivated, and all his horrible statements and self-contradicting cartoons should be viewed through that lens.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've been touching the poop. Sorry not sorry.

https://twitter.com/RobSmithJr/status/1090302911714918401

I'm working my way to asking him to make a comic about it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rob Smith Junior seems to think that names are intrinsic values that shall never be altered.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Twitter is dumb. Why does it branch off like this? Anyway:

https://twitter.com/RobSmithJr/status/1090303723606327296

:jeb:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wonder what Rob Smith Jr. thinks of heathens like me who go by our middle names in everyday life.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This has to be a bit of his for a paycheck. I just can't imagine this is a real person.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 30, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

loquacius posted:

I'm not touching that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He's really riled up for something else and just can't articulate his viewpoint, so he resorts to literal name-calling.

The sheer arrogance is astounding.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Rob Smith Jr. thinks using more than two discrete words as your daily use name is haughty or arrogant... huh. That's so dumb I can't even react to it.

Anyway,

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Only two more weeks to wait until Prickly City endorses Howard Schultz for president.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: This is my first real natural disaster and it sucks

Been in the exact same position except the fire in my case was less than 2kms away across a ridge 5 years ago. And it is without any doubt one of the most utterly terrifying things that I have ever been through. The noise, the smoke, the emergency services, the panic as residents GTFO...... my plan was to always stay and try to save the home.

Like gently caress I will nowdays. I have a bugout pack, I'll grab the cats and it and I will gently caress off as fast as I can if a fire even looks like turning towards the house. When you see a wall of 30 meter flames, your perspective on whether you should plan to stay or run changes very fast. Run and do it as early as possible.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

loquacius posted:

Wasn't the "Get his name wrong" meme a result of the assumption that he probably googles himself constantly and we didn't want him to have the satisfaction of knowing anyone's paying him any attention?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I thought it came from a correspondence between him and someone where his name was misspelled, but I might be conflating it with 'Goo Day'

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

skeleton warrior posted:

He was a “reformer” in the sense that he wanted the civil service to be a professional bureaucracy rather than a spoils system where office holders could give jobs to supporters; but that didn’t mean he was against making as much money as he could while in office. He owned stocks in the railroads that he wrote legislation to grant land to, and was alleged to have received stock and bonds as bribes from railroads that wanted favorable legislation written. On some of the correspondence around these stock trades, he ended with the postscript “Burn this letter!” which did not seem like the thing a non-corrupt person would write.

You left out the best detail of this story.

quote:

Blaine claimed he never had any dealings with the Little Rock and Fort Smith Railroad except to purchase bonds at market price, and that he had lost money on the transaction.[59] Democrats in the House of Representatives nevertheless demanded a Congressional investigation.[60] The testimony appeared to favor Blaine's version of events until May 31, when James Mulligan, a Boston clerk formerly employed by Blaine's brother-in-law, testified that the allegations were true, that he had arranged the transaction, and that he had letters to prove it.[60] The letters ended with the damning phrase, "Kindly burn this letter."[60] When the investigating committee recessed, Blaine met with Mulligan that night in his hotel room. What transpired between the men is unclear, but Blaine either acquired the letters or, as Mulligan told the committee, snatched them from Mulligan's hands and fled the room. In any event, Blaine had the letters and refused the committee's demand to turn them over.

Immediately after this episode, Blaine secured a convenient Senate appointment and evaded further investigations into his conduct by the House.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 30, 2019

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Here it comes, Stantis is going to jump on the Schultz crazy train

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This is the worst comic that’s posted here tbh.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

World Famous W posted:

I thought it came from a correspondence between him and someone where his name was misspelled, but I might be conflating it with 'Goo Day'

It was this

Besides, even if we were concerned about him googling himself, wouldn't we want to see a future where he gets really mad people are insulting him and wastes $10 on an account to defend himself which is immediately banned after meltdown #1? Because I would

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

loquacius posted:

It was this

Besides, even if we were concerned about him googling himself, wouldn't we want to see a future where he gets really mad people are insulting him and wastes $10 on an account to defend himself which is immediately banned after meltdown #1? Because I would

If Ted Rall wanted to post here I would never ban him, it would be too funny watching him perpetually meltdown.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

then let's stop calling him "poop" and let the google chips fall where they may :colbert:

It's certainly not funny anymore and it's not like anyone is ever saying anything he'd like to see; we get in ten-page-long derails because someone insufficiently denounced him

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

loquacius posted:

then let's stop calling him "poop" and let the google chips fall where they may :colbert:

It's certainly not funny anymore and it's not like anyone is ever saying anything he'd like to see; we get in ten-page-long derails because someone insufficiently denounced him

Ted Rall account spotted imo, good try tho Ted I respect the effort.

Truth be told I don’t think it’s “funny” either in the strictest sense that most childish thread memes aren’t actually funny but I also think it’s harmless.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This forum probably has the most mentions of Rall's name on the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

KillerQueen posted:

Does ignoring when you fail count as disagreeing?

They disagree that it was a failure