Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

We have bunches of them around here in Ohio. After the incident at the Medina County fair (which may be what you're referring to), they're all super heavily regulated, and inspected by state boards. You used to see old steam tractors at pretty much every local fair, but not really anymore because they cost so much to maintain regulatory status.

I also lived in Ohio, which is how I know they explode and kill people, because one exploded and killed me, and now I am dead.

The Medina County Fairgrounds incident is one of the ones I was thinking of, but there are actually quite a few going back a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

If I go to another show and it explodes I will post my horrible injuries ITT.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Superglue your shoes to the soles of your feet. Be immortal.

This 20 pages back but made me audibly laugh in the bar.

Truth.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

a kitten posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1090402748808421376?s=19

I'm sure it's fine but :eyepop: anyway

e: the train one

They should have trains running over it while it's on fire :black101:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
^ They do

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a kitten posted:

The train ones are automatic! The crews themselves don't do it, the switches have built in heaters. It's also common in the mountains and areas where heavy snow is a problem

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a kitten posted:

That river seems unsafe :thunk:

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

jemand posted:

asbestos isn't supposed to burn. So if it burned, you're probably OK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIxCzNWui_k
Fairly osha video of a person who describes it as:
"This may look like ordinary string (that's a bit blackened a bit) but as you can see it is definitely not! This thread made from white asbestos (Chrysotile) and here I am holding it over a candle flame and watching it do nothing at all, then I start dipping it in the wax to use it like a wick. After the wax has burnt that has soaked into the asbestos, you can clearly see that the asbestos is unaffected by fire and is left with nothing more than carbon that is deposited on the surface."

I mean it turned red hot like in that video. I didn't stand by to watch because I was busy banging walls, but it's definitely ash in the fire pit now.

I'm a mechanic so I'll likely die from some sort of ailment related to either semi constant exposure to carbon monoxide, or exposure to acetone and heptane(parts cleaner or brake clean). On the drums of heptane and acetone it states heptane is a substance that likely causes cancer. So, that's cool. I take precautions I can, including using a large fan when using brake ckean, even when its zero degrees F out.

I'm gonna google it, but when can I expect my physical effects of asbestos exposure to kick in? The bathroom teardown was early December. I've got all the cement board up now, which in itself is causing me cancer(according to nearly everything purchased at home Depot, via the state of California).

Christ when you think about it, especially given my family history, I'm definitely gonna get the cancers.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Asbestos doesn't have a defined incubation period. So you may or may not get cancer 2-22 years from now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

interwhat posted:

I'm gonna google it, but when can I expect my physical effects of asbestos exposure to kick in?

30 years from now.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Cool 60 is a p good run. If I had a taste for opiates I would have already been sent gonner

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ESP4MUcxg

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

interwhat posted:

I'm a mechanic so I'll likely die from some sort of ailment related to either semi constant exposure to carbon monoxide, or exposure to acetone and heptane(parts cleaner or brake clean). On the drums of heptane and acetone it states heptane is a substance that likely causes cancer. So, that's cool. I take precautions I can, including using a large fan when using brake ckean, even when its zero degrees F out.

Acetone itself is remarkably safe for being such a great solvent. It's such a common organic molecule that your body has to deal with it as a normal part of operation. So sane amounts of touching it or having it around won't cause major problems for you.

Heptane on the other hand... :rip:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the liver is amazingly good at using and converting acetone. It's a fairly large part of your liver's regular processes and you can tolerate a comparative truckload of acetone versus other solvents in the same category.

Like, everything else gives you super cancer or dissolves your bones. Acetone? Try not to get it in your eyes or drink more than a few shots of it at once.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Acetone reminds me of acetylene and how one poor guy found out the hard way that while both plant A and plant B had different connectors for breathing air lines and acetylene lines so that the twine should never get mixed up, they were swapped between plants. This wouldn't have been a problem had he not taken his mask and tools from plant A to plant B. He died.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

iospace posted:

The train ones are automatic! The crews themselves don't do it, the switches have built in heaters. It's also common in the mountains and areas where heavy snow is a problem

Is that gas-heated though? We just got electric heaters in the switches. It's safer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

Acetone reminds me of acetylene and how one poor guy found out the hard way that while both plant A and plant B had different connectors for breathing air lines and acetylene lines so that the twine should never get mixed up, they were swapped between plants. This wouldn't have been a problem had he not taken his mask and tools from plant A to plant B. He died.

Wow that's rough as gently caress.

When you started your story I thought you might be going for the one about the New Zealand plumber who "discovered" an amazing way to save room in his van, by combining oxygen and acetylene in the same tank.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Related military OSHA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog_Investigation_and_Dispersal_Operation

quote:

The device consisted of two pipelines situated along both sides of the runway and through which a fuel (usually the petrol from the airfield's own fuel dump) was pumped along and then out through burner jets positioned at intervals along the pipelines. The vapours were lit from a series of burners, producing walls of flame. The FIDO installation usually stored its fuel in four circular upright tanks built at the edge of the airfield with a low brick bund wall in case of leakage. The tanks were usually encased in ordinary brickwork as protection from bomb splinters or cannon fire.

When fog prevented returning Allied aircraft from locating and seeing their runways to land, they would be diverted to FIDO equipped aerodromes. RAF night bombers which were damaged on their missions were also diverted to FIDO airfields due to the need to make certain they could land when they arrived. When FIDO was needed, the fuel pumps were started to pour flammable liquid into the pipe system and a Jeep with a flaming brand lashed to its rear drove fast down both sides of the runway to ignite the fuel at the outlets in the pipes. The burners were sometimes ignited by men on bicycles or by runners on foot. The result was a row of flame along the side of the runway that would warm the air. The heat from the flames evaporated suspended fog droplets so that there would be a clearing in the fog directly over the runway. This allowed the pilot to see the ground as he attempted to put his aircraft down. Once landed, the planes would be moved off and dispersed to hard stands. The next day the planes would be repaired if needed, refueled and flown back to their home base.

FIDO used huge quantities of fuel, as much as 100,000 gallons (125,000 US gallons, 450,000 litres) per hour. Over twice this amount was used by airfields with longer runways such as RAF Carnaby. Large fuel storage tanks filled with low-grade petrol and possibly kerosene and other fuel were connected by pumps to provide this fuel to the runway pipes. Although extravagant in the use of fuel consumed, the device more than made up for the costs involved in the reduction in aircraft losses.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

Wow that's rough as gently caress.

When you started your story I thought you might be going for the one about the New Zealand plumber who "discovered" an amazing way to save room in his van, by combining oxygen and acetylene in the same tank.

It's one of the examples I bring up whenever some supreme idiot hell fucker piece of poo poo starts going on about how national or even EU-wide rules and regulations are not necessary because workplaces can regulate themselves. Had there been a national standard as to what connector goes with what (and had it been observed), the guy would be alive. I have no idea what the situation is nowadays.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What kind of work has both breathing lines and acetylene lines? Are you not thinking of oxygen and acetylene lines?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sudbina posted:

This isn't a safety issue, but more of a health issue.

I work at an Amazon Sorting Facility for extra money and last week, someone took a poo poo in one of the trucks and the packages were smeared with it.

They weren't wearing their Amazon Basics™ Adult Diaper as per company policy?

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003

GotLag posted:

What kind of work has both breathing lines and acetylene lines? Are you not thinking of oxygen and acetylene lines?

Semi-conductor foundry if I remember correctly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

GotLag posted:

Ebola Welding

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Meanwhile the Germans are right over there starved for gasoline fumes. The FIDO setup was an amazing demonstration of how badly the Nazis hosed up their long war calculations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GotLag posted:

What kind of work doesn't require you to breathe?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You forgot the best part

Wikipedia posted:

[...] as a courtesy the joint-patent (595,907) held by the Ministry of Supply was shared by the department head Dr Ramsbottom

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 30, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

haha

quote:

"It is difficult for the modern (2008) UK resident to comprehend what World War II fogs were like. It was not uncommon for a person to be unable to see the hand at the end of an outstretched arm. The post-war Clean Air Act hugely ameliorated UK fogs"

"sir, the smog is too bad to safely land aircraft! what shall we do?"

"burn more fuel to evaporate it!"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

drat, they should really make those connectors different sizes so you can't mix them up.

Also isn't red always supposed to be acetylene and blue oxygen or something?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

luxury handset posted:

haha

This was Little Inferno's plan all along! (If anyone remembers that game).

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

jobson groeth posted:

They should have trains running over it while it's on fire :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z76ywZDXyPw

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spankmeister posted:

drat, they should really make those connectors different sizes so you can't mix them up.

Also isn't red always supposed to be acetylene and blue oxygen or something?

The connectors were altogether of a different shape as far as I know, if not a different type (locking mechanism).

Colour-coding is nice but physical incompatibility is safe.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know about your crazy commie country but here in the Anglosphere breathing is a luxury employees can do on their own time and at their own expense

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

jetz0r posted:

Acetone itself is remarkably safe for being such a great solvent. It's such a common organic molecule that your body has to deal with it as a normal part of operation. So sane amounts of touching it or having it around won't cause major problems for you.

Heptane on the other hand... :rip:

The body produces acetone naturally when in ketosis. It's thought that the reason the ketogenic diet works to prevent seizures in epilepsy is that acetone is a powerful anticonvulsant and you're maintaining constant levels of it in the brain that way :science:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

luxury handset posted:

haha

The crazy thing is that before FIDO was developed, the answer was “point ’er towards the Sea and bail out”.

Perfectly good aircraft were being lost because no one could land them in the fog.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Platystemon posted:

The crazy thing is that before FIDO was developed, the answer was “point ’er towards the Sea and bail out”.

Perfectly good aircraft were being lost because no one could land them in the fog.

Nobody's saying FIDO wasn't valuable, I, at least, am saying that it was in practice a big gently caress you to the Luftwaffe to be burning fuel you could use for operations or, on a slow week, training, just to disperse fog.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Nobody's saying FIDO wasn't valuable, I, at least, am saying that it was in practice a big gently caress you to the Luftwaffe to be burning fuel you could use for operations or, on a slow week, training, just to disperse fog.

They also built a high-performance scout plane out of plywood.
They had plenty of aluminium, unlike the germans (who were desperately short). But they went with the plywood, partly because that meant furniture workshops could now contribute to the war effort and partly (I assume) as an extra 'gently caress you, we have better engineers than you'.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Powershift posted:

Well there's certainly no shortage of steel spaghetti on the internet, so i don't doubt that.

Immeadiatly reminded of this Rodney Matthews piece:

edit, moved to imgur

spiny fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 30, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

spiny posted:

Immeadiatly reminded of this Rodney Matthews piece:

Might want to check your hosting's permissions, that image won't show up unless I go directly to it

I would bet real money the artist used that picture as inspiration

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

They also built a high-performance scout plane out of plywood.
They had plenty of aluminium, unlike the germans (who were desperately short). But they went with the plywood, partly because that meant furniture workshops could now contribute to the war effort and partly (I assume) as an extra 'gently caress you, we have better engineers than you'.

Hermann Göring posted:

In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked.

Of course they weren't just used as scout aircraft. Bombing, ground attack, night fighters, maritime interdiction, the Mosquito did it all, and was probably the closest thing to precision bombing available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GI2AxVJbLg

When the RAF blew up the Gestapo headquarters in Copenhagen one of the Mosquitoes was flying so low it hit a street lamp and crashed into a school and killed a bunch of kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

C.M. Kruger posted:

Of course they weren't just used as scout aircraft. Bombing, ground attack, night fighters, maritime interdiction, the Mosquito did it all, and was probably the closest thing to precision bombing available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GI2AxVJbLg

When the RAF blew up the Gestapo headquarters in Copenhagen one of the Mosquitoes was flying so low it hit a street lamp and crashed into a school and killed a bunch of kids.

Man I really hope we never fight another way like this.