Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

7c Nickel posted:

Two enigmatic beings pluck historical figures from our world and dump them in fantasy land in order to affect the balance of a war.

One side pulls people out just before they died and they mostly stay the same.

The other pulls people out after they have died and they come out warped and get magic powers. Joan of Arc is a little less stable after being burned at the stake and then given pyrokinesis.

Jesus, after being crucified, believes that humans rejected him and are no longer worthy of salvation. He's trying to set up an eternal monster kingdom of god.

I love everything about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

atelier morgan posted:

alas, meng hao does not work in a game where multiple people have to be on vaguely even playing fields so everyone at the table can have fun

now a batshit crazy issth-esque video game on the other hand

Who said anything about being fair? The "Meng Hao"/Protagonist build is clearly the for min-maxing players with minimal sense of team work that want to break the game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading through the Grimgar volumes I got and they continue to be good. Grimgar kinda feels like what I wish other isekai were like, in the same way Forge of Destiny is what I wish other cultivation stories were like. It consistently stays grounded and the thoughts of the protagonist and other characters are pretty interesting/realistic. One kind of minor thing that stood out was this part from Shihoru's perspective where she mentioned mentally thinking about men as being either "people she'd be willing to date" or "people she wouldn't"; normally it is extremely uncommon for women in these stories to express any sort of attraction to the opposite sex that isn't centered around the protagonist. Another kind of atypical thing is that the series is willing to kill off some pretty unexpected characters. The character who dies in the animated adaptation wasn't that unexpected, but recently in the LNs the character who the protagonist apparently knew from his time on Earth died, which was genuinely unexpected, since she felt like a plot device waiting to be used.

It's kind of funny how a lot of the named skills/techniques they learn are just normal martial arts which they have to practice like normal people, but it leads to a good sense of "growth" that doesn't feel ridiculous and unearned like in a lot of other WNs/LNs. The protagonist doesn't magically gain the ability to cut down strong enemies in single combat, but he (and his party) gain a wider variety of techniques to use in their encounters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Drifters would be vastly better if not for the awful, awful comedy.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
The only problem with Grimgar is that Ranta is a character who continues to exist.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Shanakin posted:

Who said anything about being fair? The "Meng Hao"/Protagonist build is clearly the for min-maxing players with minimal sense of team work that want to break the game.

sure, if i wanted to design a bad game

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

atelier morgan posted:

sure, if i wanted to design a bad game

This is exactly why Amber Diceless is perfect for it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

The character who dies in the animated adaptation wasn't that unexpected, but recently in the LNs the character who the protagonist apparently knew from his time on Earth died, which was genuinely unexpected, since she felt like a plot device waiting to be used.
So does the plot go anywhere or is it too fascinated in pulling the off the spider legs of Isakai to care for such things?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Looks like the next Cradle book (Underlord) is being announced Feb 8th. :toot:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

So does the plot go anywhere or is it too fascinated in pulling the off the spider legs of Isakai to care for such things?

At the point I'm at now, which is not very far into the released LNs (Volume 5), it seems like they're just now sort of establishing themselves. There have been hints at some sort of potential greater plot involving the Dead King (or whatever the name is of that person/monster who turns corpses into zombies if they aren't burned), but I'm not clear where things will go on that front.

It works pretty well as just a "following this person's life in an isekai" sort of thing, though. A lot of isekai try to do this sort of thing and it doesn't work because the protagonist is OP and the characters are boring, but it works with Grimgar because the action scenes are pretty kick-rear end and the characters are interesting.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Autonomous Monster posted:

Looks like the next Cradle book (Underlord) is being announced Feb 8th. :toot:

I bought the first book and got halfway through then the space lady came and was a billion tiers higher and I immediately lost interest the scale was too large and dumb

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

I bought the first book and got halfway through then the space lady came and was a billion tiers higher and I immediately lost interest the scale was too large and dumb

I liked the sense of scale it gave. You get to see someone at the very bottom and also a glimpse of the very top (as far as we know).

The books have done a good job of staying within that presented scale too. The main character is much stronger but still no where near space lady's level and most likely wont be for many more books to come.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Its Rinaldo posted:

Yeah, it's got that xianxia verticality dialed in alright. Space lady doesn't stick around for long, though, and the books generally trade in a more reasonable level of "impossibly far above you". Book 1 is by far the weakest, too, so I'd recommend giving 2 a chance before you write it off entirely.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kyoujin posted:

I liked the sense of scale it gave. You get to see someone at the very bottom and also a glimpse of the very top (as far as we know).

The books have done a good job of staying within that presented scale too. The main character is much stronger but still no where near space lady's level and most likely wont be for many more books to come.

It's called the Cradle series. Odds are that even joining her society, let alone the elite at the top of it, will be an epilogue thing, and all we'll be covering here is events on Lindon's homeworld. Presumably, the Dreadgods will be the final bosses, while the space-people resolve their own problems and keep their rogue elements from interfering further in the battle on Cradle.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
It’s a play on a common xianxia trope, for the worthless cultivator protagonist’s life to be changed by a brush with God-tier power. I think that it’s handled very well compared to most of those stories. Lindon doesn’t get an OP God-tier item, like in ISSTH or AWE. He doesn’t get a super powerful teacher tag along like in Against the Gods or Martial God Asura. He just gets a pep talk that says “You’re only as weak as you let yourself be”, a glimpse at just how powerful a person can get, and a push towards the door.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So, Reincarnation of the Sword Blabla turns from slightly annoying to read at times when you're binging to insufferable when you're stuck with chapters and chapters of dorks using their special abilities.

The Cultivation Group Chat, on the other hand, which I've also caught up to, is still rather lovely even dosed at two chapters a day.

Another web novel that I've enjoyed recently is My House of Horrors.

It's reminds me a little of the Blackwell adventure game series, if there was a litrpg System involved and the ghosts were more j-horror. So this young guy is running a failing haunted house attraction in an about-to-be-closed theme park, right? His parents used to be the ones in charge, but they disappeared a while back, after not returning from what, our hero realizes in retrospect, must have been a paranormal investigation, one of many that they must have embarked upon and the only clues they left behind were a strange doll and a smartphone that he's never seen before.

Well, the smartphone has a weird app installed on it and the app starts giving him missions related to local hauntings and major league creepypasta poo poo and he realizes, holy crap, ghosts are real, this poo poo is probably why his parents disappeared and he seems to be the only one around even remotely equipped to deal with it. Oh and as he deals with the hauntings the app rewards him by magically expanding and upgrading his haunted house and even binding some of the ghosts he's helped into his service in the house. So financially, things start to turn around, especially after he streams a couple of his investigations online, but his life gets a lot more complicated.

The novel is pretty good. The hero's a nice dude whose main flaws are him being, cough, a little too competitive when people impugn his haunted house's scariness and, perhaps, a certain lack of introspection in regards to the implications of the mess that he got into. The story is written fairly well, perhaps not as well as CGC, but it's a solid read and the translation seems decent as well. It can be pretty creeptastic at times, but our hero is somewhat empowered and proactive and this is a serial, so we know he's probably going to survive poo poo, so I'd classify this more as a story on the scarier end of the urban fantasy rather than horror. I am a big scaredy cat myself and reading this is within my fairly low tolerance limits.

A downside I need to mention is that, well, it went premium hours ago when I was considering writing this post. Oh well. I think most of you know what to do about it. Apparently this story is in Top 5 of stories on the Chinese version of the site right now, so I guess it makes sense.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Megazver posted:

The Cultivation Group Chat, on the other hand, which I've also caught up to, is still rather lovely even dosed at two chapters a day.

CCG is so drat good. I lost my poo poo at the recent chapters with Venerable White's Flying Sword Uber.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

blastron posted:

I don’t have time to read it now, but if you think you’ll be able to legit take this on, let me know and I’ll drop a link to redirect readers to your page. Also, for formatting, I recommend using Markdown. It’s pretty easy.

Yeah I definitely didn't have time to commit at my skill level, but it doesn't matter now because someone has picked it up!

http://infinitenoveltranslations.net/ascendance-of-a-bookworm/chapter-91-100/chapter-97-preparations-for-the-star-festival/

Edit: I think the chapters I'm on have got to be the ones someone was complaining about many pages ago where it's nothing but people reporting to Maine. She just received letters from like 4 people each one requesting to talk to her, so I assume the next 8 chapters at least are all gonna be consultations, lol

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 28, 2019

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

http://infinitenoveltranslations.net/ascendance-of-a-bookworm/chapter-91-100/chapter-97-preparations-for-the-star-festival/ posted:

sweety
dropped

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Megazver posted:

A downside I need to mention is that, well, it went premium hours ago when I was considering writing this post. Oh well. I think most of you know what to do about it.

The QU discord seems to be kaput

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The bots worked for me :shrug:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tunicate posted:

The QU discord seems to be kaput

Invite links to Discord server expire. Maybe the one you found did. The server itself is fine atm of me writing this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
reddit killed qidian underground

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

RIP all the webnovels I'll never be able to read or finish reading.

Edit: I'm really tired of that crap happening. "This is a good series!" then:

a. "We've decided to discontinue translation because it's been licensed here and you will never see it again"
b. "We're shutting down due to lawyers in another country threatening to sue us until we can't even own our own blood"
c. "This site has been shut down due to multiple bogus DMCAs we can't fight back"
d. "Insert money to continue"

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 30, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

The discord is still up, it's just the subreddit that kept getting DMCA'd.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Why don't they just go full Konosuba and upload everything as "fanfiction"?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
:rip:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Guess I should have joined the discord when I had the chance. Is there anywhere I can get an invite now?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

Guess I should have joined the discord when I had the chance. Is there anywhere I can get an invite now?

Sorry to turn this into a begging thread, but I'd also be interested in an invite.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They're in lockdown at the moment; no invites. They'll probably pop up as a website hosted somewhere in Kazakhstan or something in a week or two, just wait.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There is a goodbye post over at /r/noveltranslations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
They're calling this the waiting room discord, but I'm not sure if it's waiting for a discord invite or waiting for a new site.

https://discord.gg/Emb2eeF

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

SugarAddict posted:

RIP all the webnovels I'll never be able to read or finish reading.

Edit: I'm really tired of that crap happening. "This is a good series!" then:

a. "We've decided to discontinue translation because it's been licensed here and you will never see it again"
b. "We're shutting down due to lawyers in another country threatening to sue us until we can't even own our own blood"
c. "This site has been shut down due to multiple bogus DMCAs we can't fight back"
d. "Insert money to continue"

same, but basically all media from the first two-thirds of the 20th century

ip is a scourge

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

same, but basically all media from the first two-thirds of the 20th century

ip is a scourge

IP is a tool, a broken horribly abused tool that needs significant readjustment but a tool none-the-less, it's just that the people abusing it are behaving like autistic spoiled "can do no wrong" children that's taking a hammer to everything and everyone they think can get away with until they get beaten black and blue and red, in which case they put on a different mask and go straight back to it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

In all fairness, most of the stuff that gets officially-licensed translations wouldn't ever be published outside Japan if it weren't for the fan translation communities. Groups like Yenpress taking a steaming poo poo on the community that showed them which series is popular is kind of a dick move.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

SugarAddict posted:

it's just that the people abusing it are behaving like autistic spoiled "can do no wrong" children that's taking a hammer to everything and everyone they think can get away with until they get beaten black and blue and red, in which case they put on a different mask and go straight back to it.
:wtc:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ytlaya posted:

I've been reading through the Grimgar volumes I got and they continue to be good. Grimgar kinda feels like what I wish other isekai were like, in the same way Forge of Destiny is what I wish other cultivation stories were like. It consistently stays grounded and the thoughts of the protagonist and other characters are pretty interesting/realistic. One kind of minor thing that stood out was this part from Shihoru's perspective where she mentioned mentally thinking about men as being either "people she'd be willing to date" or "people she wouldn't"; normally it is extremely uncommon for women in these stories to express any sort of attraction to the opposite sex that isn't centered around the protagonist. Another kind of atypical thing is that the series is willing to kill off some pretty unexpected characters. The character who dies in the animated adaptation wasn't that unexpected, but recently in the LNs the character who the protagonist apparently knew from his time on Earth died, which was genuinely unexpected, since she felt like a plot device waiting to be used.

It's kind of funny how a lot of the named skills/techniques they learn are just normal martial arts which they have to practice like normal people, but it leads to a good sense of "growth" that doesn't feel ridiculous and unearned like in a lot of other WNs/LNs. The protagonist doesn't magically gain the ability to cut down strong enemies in single combat, but he (and his party) gain a wider variety of techniques to use in their encounters.

Do you have a link to Grimgar? Sounds interesting.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well Grimgar is licensed so.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

I barely passed my English classes in highschool, also I'm bad. Generally when I hear about IP it's either patent trolls trying to sue everything that moves, or oracle/apple coming up with new ways to screw people over, with the once in a blue moon news tidbit of a corporation stealing someone's invention or the DMCA actually being used correctly because a corporation uploaded another corporation's software as their own and were profiting from it.

Also, I'm bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Argas posted:

Well Grimgar is licensed so.

My bad.

Megazver posted:

So, Reincarnation of the Sword Blabla turns from slightly annoying to read at times when you're binging to insufferable when you're stuck with chapters and chapters of dorks using their special abilities.

Another web novel that I've enjoyed recently is My House of Horrors.

It's reminds me a little of the Blackwell adventure game series, if there was a litrpg System involved and the ghosts were more j-horror. So this young guy is running a failing haunted house attraction in an about-to-be-closed theme park, right? His parents used to be the ones in charge, but they disappeared a while back, after not returning from what, our hero realizes in retrospect, must have been a paranormal investigation, one of many that they must have embarked upon and the only clues they left behind were a strange doll and a smartphone that he's never seen before.

Well, the smartphone has a weird app installed on it and the app starts giving him missions related to local hauntings and major league creepypasta poo poo and he realizes, holy crap, ghosts are real, this poo poo is probably why his parents disappeared and he seems to be the only one around even remotely equipped to deal with it. Oh and as he deals with the hauntings the app rewards him by magically expanding and upgrading his haunted house and even binding some of the ghosts he's helped into his service in the house. So financially, things start to turn around, especially after he streams a couple of his investigations online, but his life gets a lot more complicated.

The novel is pretty good. The hero's a nice dude whose main flaws are him being, cough, a little too competitive when people impugn his haunted house's scariness and, perhaps, a certain lack of introspection in regards to the implications of the mess that he got into. The story is written fairly well, perhaps not as well as CGC, but it's a solid read and the translation seems decent as well. It can be pretty creeptastic at times, but our hero is somewhat empowered and proactive and this is a serial, so we know he's probably going to survive poo poo, so I'd classify this more as a story on the scarier end of the urban fantasy rather than horror. I am a big scaredy cat myself and reading this is within my fairly low tolerance limits.

A downside I need to mention is that, well, it went premium hours ago when I was considering writing this post. Oh well. I think most of you know what to do about it. Apparently this story is in Top 5 of stories on the Chinese version of the site right now, so I guess it makes sense.

Thank you for suggesting My House of Horrors. I've been enjoying it a lot. Very novel take.