Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Isn't it odd that Joe can quote stats like assault rates amongst indigenous people but deaths in custody is magically absent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Grima Wormtongue was just an ALP staffer

Don't pick on Anidav like that

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Isn't it odd that Joe can quote stats like assault rates amongst indigenous people but deaths in custody is magically absent?

From the same SBS article Hildebrand is pulling his info from:

Same Article posted:

Ms Braybrook, also the co-chair of Change The Record, says the report does not address racism and the ongoing injustices Indigenous peoples face, which is a big part of why rates of violence against Indigenous women and children are high.

"It is important though to break down the stigma that this is an ‘Aboriginal’ problem," she said.

"When we talk about the high rates of violence against Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women, we are not just talking about violence by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men. Data shows us that the majority of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women in metropolitan areas, and many other areas, are partnered with non-Aboriginal men."

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-news/article/2018/02/28/disadvantage-trauma-causing-high-rates-indigenous-family-violence

God, loving Joe Hildebrand is such loving goddamn trash.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

In conclusion, Mordor is a land of contrasts.

It's important to understand that the orcish horde are a broad church. From the Uruk-Hai of Insengard, to the Northern Goblins of the Misty Mountains, to the denizens of Gorgoroth, in Mordor; but despite the occasional case of cannibalism, they are united as the party of small government and Liberal values.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Amethyst posted:

"In 390BC a tribe of Gauls swept down into a small recently formed territory known as the Republic of Rome."

Of course, indigenous folk had been in Australia for 37,000 odd years at that time

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Recoome posted:

I guess the other thing to consider is that the parts of psychology which are considered "neglected" (so gen reg, etc.) are also less likely to be so academically focused (and perhaps just wanting to get on with the job), so of course their voices haven't been privileged like they should've been.

The NTEU (which I'm part of) has upped the focus and representation of casual academics (including postgrads) and I think provides a better balance of representation, even though there is obviously going to be tension between the casual and non-casual academic staff.

I’m all for unions making more of an effort to include casual and part-time staff. They can be overlooked otherwise.

:perfect:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I said it seemed like a good idea to let people see a lesser, non clinical psychologist if that was all there was and they were in trouble and my psychologist friend smacked me down so hard I was like woah gotta protect that bread huh I get ya (she was very angry indeed at that point).

E: real talk I don't think changing the current model is a good idea after that chat

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

WTF is he using NZ made Mainland butter instead of Aussie Bega butter? ROYAL COMMISSION NOW
saw multiple people on facebook saying the same thing, like, sit down you goose

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

The Before Times posted:

Half of Melbourne is named after a genocidal maniac (Batman) but ya know it was all done with the best intentions

woah i don't like DC comics either but genocide is a bit of a leap

:v:

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I wonder how many of the APS membership (22000 in 2017 according to their annual report) are fully registered? They say 3500 student memberships, and the PBA said there were 35000 registered psychs in the same year. I suspect fewer people let their membership lapse than we'd like to think (knowing they can use the professional advisory service seems to be a drawcard, along with the "cheap" professional indemnity insurance and access to discounted PD programs).

I don't want to perpetuate a derail about a narrow topic but I wasn't aware so many people were APS members; I made my comment about people quitting from personal experience but maybe people I know are a minority. I was a member from around 2007 and quit around uhh 2012 or so or the reasons I described and so did a lot of my graduation cohort. At the time, I was upset about how the APS was dealing with the bulk-billing freeze and I note that, 7 years later, it remains frozen at the same rate. But all I remember from when I was a member was just an endless impassioned debate from like 10 to 12 branch members about a variety of issues and no real progress made on any specific issue. But maybe it was just my perception of the situation and most APS members were happier than I recall.

People were debating the two-tier debate schedule then too, my memory may be wrong but around 2010 a whole separate professional organisation spun off and tried to create a parallel APS with a mind to represent generalist psychologists better (as the APS was seen as too clinical psychology focused). I don't remember what they were called, how far they got, or even if this actually happened or if I'm remembering something different.

e:

quote:

I said it seemed like a good idea to let people see a lesser, non clinical psychologist if that was all there was and they were in trouble and my psychologist friend smacked me down so hard I was like woah gotta protect that bread huh I get ya (she was very angry indeed at that point).

E: real talk I don't think changing the current model is a good idea after that chat

I came from Canada originally and have lived in the US; psychology there requires a PhD to practice and I've always felt that the two-tier system was trying to capture something similar to North America or the UK where clinical psychology attracts salaries and a level of respect similar to medical doctors. If the APS had their way, I think they'd lock out the 4+2 and 5+1 programs altogether and call them something different but the title of psychologist has too many generally trained people already to make that change. Enforcing the two-tier system felt like the best compromise.

I do think there's a role for having a profession that requires a research-practice degree as more complex psychological cases requires a level of skill and expertise that I'm not confident you can achieve with a bachelor degree and supervised practice alone. I think having that role use the title of psychologist, though, and then locking out other people who use that title creates a lot of confusion and headache for people, though.

Serrath fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 30, 2019

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

How does Hildebrand manage to explain the Norman invasion and then somehow say that the British Empire was descended from Vikings. How does he even manage to get his smarmy fancy booklearning history wrong.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

freebooter posted:

How does Hildebrand manage to explain the Norman invasion and then somehow say that the British Empire was descended from Vikings. How does he even manage to get his smarmy fancy booklearning history wrong.

https://twitter.com/Brocklesnitch/status/1090479570422099968

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

freebooter posted:

He just bangs out something that has more or less the correct names and fills in a few gaps to make a story.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

freebooter posted:

Um, everyone knows that Bede's geneology makes it clear that the Anglo-Saxons are descended from Wotan.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Angry Salami posted:

Um, everyone knows that Bede's geneology makes it clear that the Anglo-Saxons are descended from Wotan.

Making them the original Wotan Clan

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's particularly amusing in this case because the Normans provide my favourite example of inter-generational advantage/disadvantage stemming from invasion and dispossession:

"People with "Norman" surnames like Darcy and Mandeville are still wealthier than the general population 1,000 years after their descendants conquered Britain, according to a study into social progress."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8424904/People-with-Norman-names-wealthier-than-other-Britons.html

edit - Blame the Telegraph, obviously they mean "ancestors" not "descendants"

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

It's important to understand that the orcish horde are a broad church. From the Uruk-Hai of Insengard, to the Northern Goblins of the Misty Mountains, to the denizens of Gorgoroth, in Mordor; but despite the occasional case of cannibalism, they are united as the party of small government and Liberal values.

For anyone who particularly enjoyed this brief foray into moral relativism in Middle Earth: I highly recommend The Last Ringbearer. It is set immediately after the events of The Lord of the Rings and tells a story from the perspective of an Orc. It presents The Lord if the Rings as being a highly revisionist history written by the winners of the War of the Ring to make themselves look good.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Urcher posted:

For anyone who particularly enjoyed this brief foray into moral relativism in Middle Earth: I highly recommend The Last Ringbearer. It is set immediately after the events of The Lord of the Rings and tells a story from the perspective of an Orc. It presents The Lord if the Rings as being a highly revisionist history written by the winners of the War of the Ring to make themselves look good.

lol you loving nerd

bowmore posted:

saw multiple people on facebook saying the same thing, like, sit down you goose

Support Aussie jerbs

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You reckon Michaelia Cash's gonna pull a runner on election night?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tithin posted:

*whiteboard appears*

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Liberals Running Out Of Cash
Cashing Out
Cash not found. OR
Clear your cash (some are gonna argue, I say the pun way of pronounciation is always correct)

The headlines write themselves, and with the sackings they'll need to

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/CampbellNewman/status/1090347292958195712

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav leaves the country and Newman falls to pieces

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

tithin posted:

As his first act as Attorney General, Mark Dreyfus produces documentation proving senator Cash to be a dual citizen.

Shortly thereafter, in his first and final act as minister for Home Affairs before dissolving the portfolio (lol I know but stay with me) Penny cancels her Australian citizenship.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Anidav posted:

Aren't there like colonial letters explicitly telling the British to kill every black person they see in Australia ect?

"Send cask arsenic exterminate aborigines"

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

freebooter posted:

I think he trying to be uber smart, by referring to the Normans origins in Scandinavia. There is also the point where he mentions that the Viking Empire was at its greatest extent in the 18th century.

So English —> Norman —> Viking

But he seems to have forgotten the final step:

Everyone —> Africans.

So really, how can anyone be racist when we are all actually African??

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

You Am I posted:

lol you loving nerd

And proud of it

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

freebooter posted:

It's particularly amusing in this case because the Normans provide my favourite example of inter-generational advantage/disadvantage stemming from invasion and dispossession:

"People with "Norman" surnames like Darcy and Mandeville are still wealthier than the general population 1,000 years after their descendants conquered Britain, according to a study into social progress."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8424904/People-with-Norman-names-wealthier-than-other-Britons.html

edit - Blame the Telegraph, obviously they mean "ancestors" not "descendants"

Hereward the Wake should’ve loving murdered William, the absolute clown

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

the guardian posted:

Studio Ten: The fifth most-popular morning show on TV, behind Mel and Kochie, the new Today lineup, Virginia Trioli and Michael Rowland on ABC News Breakfast, and a blank screen. AKA: where Joe Hildebrand has gone to die.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Useless prick can't even get that right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Joe_Hildebrand/status/1090540376748744704

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
In China they sell fireworks in toy stores.

Not small firewarks either.

I'm talking the Sky Orgasm 4000.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Anidav posted:

In China they sell fireworks in toy stores.

Not small firewarks either.

I'm talking the Sky Orgasm 4000.

Amazing. When I lived in the UK you could get all sorts of awesome fireworks, but they also had these ghastly ads about why you shouldn't mess with fireworks including one girl who is revealed to have horrible scarring across half her face due to one exploding in her face.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

gently caress off Joe Hildebrand.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Joe "it's not genocide without orders from the top" Hildebrand

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Isn't it more embarrassing to have done this and still be this wrong? Like this doesn't make you look any better fuckface.

EDIT: I'm really glad I saved this image when I made it years ago, I've gotten a fantastic amount of mileage out of it.

hooman fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 30, 2019

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

Isn't it more embarrassing to have done this and still be this wrong? Like this doesn't make you look any better fuckface.

It is, very embarrassing. Particularly after a well-known collection of smackdowns on Keith Windschuttle was put out pointing out exactly this error. He may as well have had a degree in dramatic arts for all the good it's done him.

One of Windschuttles big excuses was a lack of written evidence, therefore nothing ever happened. Whoops.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Anders Breiviks favourite historian

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Snake swallowing another snake spotted on farmer's property in South Australia
Snake hitches ride under car, amid 'peak hour' for Tasmanian reptile catchers
Carpet python riddled with 500 ticks slinks into pool 'to try and drown them'
Carpet python riddled with ticks now has anaemia but vets hopeful of recovery
Cafe owners shocked after discovering 'pipe' was a snake in their coffee machine
Snake catchers urge pet owners to keep cats indoors for their safety and sake of wildlife
Snake hiding behind Darwin air-conditioning unit likely wanted food
First the loo, now a shower — Queensland's dry weather forces snakes into unusual places to look for water
Brown snake spotted on ute windscreen by mum picking kids up from school
Olive python swept away after Winton's first rainfall of the season

All from this month. ABC does love snakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

bandaid.friend posted:

All from this month. ABC does love snakes

Inevitable, given the Libs stacked it with them.